• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2011 (Mar 21 - Mar 27)

Nintendo 3DS is in desperate need of games, we can't keep playing the launch line-up forever.

farnham said:
3ds looks like a gamecubelevel trainwreck at this point
Since when GAF allows attention whore members? It's waaaaaaaaaaaay past time to ban this guy.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Neon_Icarus said:
Hopefully this means that Nintendo will have to start trying, instead of cruising on auto-pilot like they have for the last five years.

Nintendogs, wii fit, wii sports, animal crossing, etc. will not be killer apps this gen.
If there is no significant update to these franchises, people wont bother buying a new system just to play the same game again.

What PSP offers is mostly on par with what 3DS offers, except PSP has more games and more support at this point. No reason to buy a 3DS right now really.

Spiegel

Deku said:
Well, you are comparing post launch afterglow sales with no major releases, to the PSP which had a major release this week. It averages 20-25k with no big releases.

Even if there was a release, it would be difficult to tell as the launch was fairly strong.

We won't know what it 'settles' into for another month or so of tracking. Ironically during 'easter'.

I wouldn't imagine Nintendo would be too worried as there will be software to drive hardware bumps. And Golden Week is in May.

I also expect a minor bump in 2-3 months when the post Earthquake mini recovery begins and people stop freaking out and start spending again.

FFIV has nothing to do with these hardware sales. PSP has been supply constrained since January.

1-D_FTW

Deku said:
That said, I think GAF analysts expect every launch to be a holiday launch and then chicken little it when things don't go as they 'expect'. Usually based on numbers out their ass.

Though I don't claim to predict anything, even if in the off chanee there is no launch of a major software title in the next 9 months, you will still see massive sales on the holidays on its gimmick, and built in software alone.

I've been beating this drum for the past 6 months. And have dealt with nothing but LOLs and Pachter wannabes talking about how it would be stupid for Nintendo to lower the price when they would be selling for 500 dollars on ebay for months.

This thing was as predictable as they come. The writing was everywhere. It's just funny how the LOL camp is now moving the bars all over the place.

Christmas will be very interesting. NGP, ipod touches, and 3DS will all be battling it out and we'll finally get some idea how the market truly feels about each approach in the year 2011.

Regardless, as someone who actually does love Nintendo, I'm glad their getting some humble pie. Maybe it'll give them a kick in the pants.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Software sells platforms. No software, no sales. What's weird about that? But no, 3DS isn't doomed and hasn't bombed and doesn't need a price cut and software will come (duh, it's what Nintendo do). There's no reason to release a New Super Mario type game at this time when there's not enough of a userbase to even support such a release and something like it would only lead to supply issues with no huge benefit to profit/sales. They should however trickle out the software they said they held back as the year passes.

Deku said:
Well, you are comparing post launch afterglow sales with no major releases, to the PSP which had a major release this week. It averages 20-25k with no big releases.

Does it? I thought it was heavily supply constrained for weeks.

gerg

1-D_FTW said:
I've been beating this drum for the past 6 months. And have dealt with nothing but LOLs and Pachter wannabes talking about how it would be stupid for Nintendo to lower the price when they would be selling for 500 dollars on ebay for months.

This thing was as predictable as they come. The writing was everywhere. It's just funny how the LOL camp is now moving the bars all over the place.

Christmas will be very interesting. NGP, ipod touches, and 3DS will all be battling it out and we'll finally get some idea how the market truly feels about each approach in the year 2011.

Regardless, as someone who actually does love Nintendo, I'm glad their getting some humble pie. Maybe it'll give them a kick in the pants.

A lot of this post seems premature.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
From mid may One Piece UC, Dead or Alive,Tales of, Mercenaries and Zelda OoT till end of june. Should help to stabilize 3DS sales.

But april will be pretty shitty i think.....

I kinda wonder, if that bet on big on 3ds beforehand knew how much nintendo would charge. Not to overreact but im pretty sure, that most of them thought the system would be cheaper and so be able to spread faster in the market.

hamchan

Father_Brain said:
I guess the fairest conclusion to make about 3DS at this point (in all territories) is that this is what happens when you release a fairly expensive product outside the holiday season, without any killer-app software. It'll probably be selling fine by the holidays, though if OoT 3D doesn't significantly boost hardware sales, I'd start to worry.
I agree that the 3DS's weak launch software lineup is an explanation for its current sales. I don't think OoT will be the game to jump start the 3DS sales, it's a port of one of the best games of all time but I honestly don't see it as a system seller. I see Mario Kart or the eventual NSMB as the game that will keep the 3DS selling.

Ratrat said:
They'll probably release MHP3 G before that. And these games are worthless once the latest installment releases.

I haven't talked about MH lately because it's just been Sony and Nintendo fans trying to argue about where the game is gonna go and I only care about it for sales age purposes. But I have to say that I highly doubt they will release MHP3G before they release MH3G on consoles. I'm guessing MH3G this year on consoles and MHP3G next year on a handheld.

I'm curious where they go with MH3G though, on one side you have the Wii, it has received MH3 and MHG, I personally thought they were gonna do better than they did, the Wii has been selling pretty badly lately but that's nothing a price cut, new colors and new bundles can't fix, plus it's cheaper to develop for and they already have some game assets they can reuse. On the other hand you have the PS3, more expensive to develop for and it has not received any MH games, but it is selling better than the Wii on a weekly basis and mp games tend to sell better on PS3, even when it's more expensive and released at a later date.

m.i.s.

Banned
gerg said:
I really don't think there's much comparison for the 3DS' sales, is there? Is selling 50k units this close to release particularly disastrous for Nintendo? Will their ability to build up a sizeable userbase (of, say, two to three million units) before the NGP launch in Japan be thwarted because of these numbers?

3DS isn't really a game-changer in the way that the touch screen DS was so, apart from 3D, there isn't really much of a hook. I suspect NGP will face the same platform inertia that 3DS is currently facing.

Apart from a price drop which would help, what the 3DS really needs is unique software - which will take time. I don't think Super Mario 3DS unveiled at GDC will necessarily do much in Japan (if the sales of the two Super Mario Galaxy titles are any indication).

What Nintendo needs is something like Monster Hunter or an exclusive mainline Pokemon title.

Spiegel

AranhaHunter said:
I haven't talked about MH lately because it's just been Sony and Nintendo fans trying to argue about where the game is gonna go and I only care about it for sales age purposes. But I have to say that I highly doubt they will release MHP3G before they release MH3G on consoles. I'm guessing MH3G this year on consoles and MHP3G next year on a handheld.

I'm curious where they go with MH3G though, on one side you have the Wii, it has received MH3 and MHG, I personally thought they were gonna do better than they did, the Wii has been selling pretty badly lately but that's nothing a price cut, new colors and new bundles can't fix, plus it's cheaper to develop for and they already have some game assets they can reuse. On the other hand you have the PS3, more expensive to develop for and it has not received any MH games, but it is selling better than the Wii on a weekly basis and mp games tend to sell better on PS3, even when it's more expensive and released at a later date.

MHP2G was released before MH2G. In fact, MH2G doesn't even exist.

farnham

Banned
what nintendo needs is a must have title

for ds it was mario 64 and warioware at launch
for wii it was wii sports and wii play at launch

3ds does not have those titles.

i believe nintendo expected nintendogs to play that role in japan but it failed hard. i cant remember a franchise that went from 1 million + to sub 200k that quickly

snackman

Banned
It's funny cause Nintendo is more Japanese than Sony is lol but anyway they have a year to get sales up the problem is NGP might come out when Nintendo starts picking up a little bit.

Ratrat

snackman said:
It's funny cause Nintendo is more Japanese than Sony is lol but anyway they have a year to get sales up the problem is NGP might come out when Nintendo starts picking up a little bit.
wtf

You know...Tri G would sell Wiis. Seriously.

gerg

farnham said:
3ds does not have those titles.

i believe nintendo expected nintendogs to play that role in japan but it failed hard. i cant remember a franchise that went from 1 million + to sub 200k that quickly

Iwata himself has said that he has expected the 3DS' inbuilt software and AR software to be the system's Wii Sports. He did not expect nintendogs + cats to play that role.

m.i.s.

Banned
amtentori said:
What PSP offers is mostly on par with what 3DS offers, except PSP has more games and more support at this point. No reason to buy a 3DS right now really.

Spot on. Even the battery life - the surefire mainstay of Nintendo portables - is down to single figures on a single charge.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Did Nintendo have high expectations for Pilotwings and Steel Diver?

Also, what are the high profile games coming out for PSP and 3DS this year? All I know is that PSP is getting Final Fantasy Type-0 and 3DS is getting Zelda: OoT (though I'm not sure if that counts, since it was released on the N64 more than 10 years ago).

farnham

Banned
gerg said:
Iwata himself has said that he has expected the 3DS' inbuilt software and AR software to be the system's Wii Sports. He did not expect nintendogs + cats to play that role.
well. looks like that face raiders is not cutting it.
ULTROS! said:

i doubt they will have high expectations as pilotwings is just a port of a part of wii sports resort and steel diver is just a bad game and its not like its a game that is geared to light gamers. its a game for so called hardcore gamers that is bad.

ULTROS! said:
Also, what are the high profile games coming out for PSP and 3DS this year? All I know is that PSP is getting Final Fantasy Type-0 and 3DS is getting Zelda: OoT (though I'm not sure if that counts, since it was released on the N64 more than 10 years ago).
depends on whats high profile. Mario Kart is probably a possibility

Eteric Rice

ULTROS! said:

Paper Mario 3DS, Mario Kart 3DS, and Mario Bros 3D should be pretty big.

And there are smaller releases too.

Spiegel said:
MHP2G was released before MH2G. In fact, MH2G doesn't even exist.
Agreed. MHP3 basically is MH3G anyway, the series isn't going back to Wii at this point.

I do kinda wonder why MH3 never got a budget reprint though?

farnham said:
i cant remember a franchise that went from 1 million + to sub 200k that quickly
Out of curiosity, what did Nintendogs sell in it's first four weeks?

Pretty expected for the 3DS if you ask me. The launch titles aren't nearly appealing enough for anyone to go nuts about. They just need zelda/mario/whatever else to get it back to ripping things. But Nintendo has chosen to space them out (or not have em ready for launch) and this is pretty much the result.

AranhaHunter said:

I think Capcom will do a Tales of Graces F style release and just up port MH3 to PS3 with a few extra features and call it MH3G. Release that this year and get MHP3G out in 2012 on NGP and PSP.

farnham

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
Agreed. MHP3 basically is MH3G anyway.

I do kinda wonder why MH3 never got a budget reprint though?

Out of curiosity, what did Nintendogs sell in it's first four weeks?
i want to stop pulling numbers out of my head because ive been wrong two times today but i think about 300k to 400k

i remember nintendogs being in the long legs club but it wasnt like brain age that sold like 50k first week and kept on selling that number until it reached ridiculous numbers

confuziz

Banned
farnham said:
i want to stop pulling numbers out of my head because ive been wrong two times today but i think about 300k to 400k

i remember nintendogs being in the long legs club but it wasnt like brain age that sold like 50k first week and kept on selling that number until it reached ridiculous numbers

For the first time today you are right =P

ULTROS! said:

In Japan, looking at releases confirmed for 2011 that look like they could sell over 200,000 I would say:

PSP
04/14 Super Robot Taisen Z2 Hakai-Hen
05/26 Little Battle eXperience
Summer Final Fantasy Type-0
Summer Sengoku Basara Chronicle Heroes

3DS
06/02 Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
Spring One Piece: Unlimited Cruise SP
Spring The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Winter Slime Morimoiri Dragon Quest 3
TBA Fantasy Life (maybe?)
TBA Mario Kart
TBA Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D
TBA Project Love Plus

For unconfirmed or 2012 stuff:

PSP
TBA Gundam Memories
TBA MonHun Diary Poka Poka Felyne Village G

3DS
TBA Animal Crossing
TBA Inazuma Eleven Go
TBA Kingdom Hearts 3D
TBA Paper Mario
TBA Professor Layton Vs Phoenix Wright
TBA Resident Evil Revelations
TBA Super Mario
TBA Time Travelers (maybe?)

zomgbbqftw said:
I think Capcom will do a Tales of Graces F style release and just up port MH3 to PS3 with a few extra features and call it MH3G. Release that this year and get MHP3G out in 2012 on NGP and PSP.
If this was going to happen, it would have before Portable 3rd. I don't think MH is going to see another release on this generation's consoles, it's going to be about MH4 on Super Wii vs PlayStation 4.

I think MHP3G might stay on just PSP too. NGP can just play the PSN version.

Deku

Banned
Spiegel said:
FFIV has nothing to do with these hardware sales. PSP has been supply constrained since January.

You could we right. I'm not privy to weekly PSP shipments in Japan maybe they increased shipments this week, but the PSP sold 23 k last week.

It's pretty funny though that Nintendo deliberately backs off on software to align with the 3DS launch to allow for third parties to see some early success, and yet they fail to do so. I honestly don't know why Nintendo even tries to bait third parties because they absolutely have no idea how to succeed on a Nintendo platform since the Wii was launched.

Deku

Banned
Dr. Feel Good said:
It's pretty funny though that Nintendo deliberately backs off on software to align with the 3DS launch to allow for third parties to see some early success, and yet they fail to do so. I honestly don't know why Nintendo even tries to bait third parties because they absolutely have no idea how to succeed on a Nintendo platform since the Wii was launched.

Layton is the best selling game in Japan, and that is 3rd party.

Spiegel

Deku said:
You could we right. I'm not privy to weekly PSP shipments in Japan maybe they increased shipments this week, but the PSP sold 23 k last week.

I am.

The sixth FFIV re-release isn't going to make the psp jump from 23k to 51k. The earthquake messed things around and psp was the only one affected because it's the only supply constrained hardware.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
lunchwithyuzo said:
In Japan, looking at releases confirmed for 2011 that look like they could sell over 200,000 I would say:

TBA Mario Kart
I thought this wasn't confirmed for 2011 anymore? Only SF64 and Kid Icarus are.

Deku said:
Layton is the best selling game in Japan, and that is 3rd party.

I realize that, and I'm not necessarily criticizing Level 5 on that basis because Layton is a strong IP in Japan, but it's not exactly something gamers haven't seen before. How difficult is it to see that what made the DS and Wii runaway successes originally was because they offered gameplay experiences that weren't available elsewhere? Third parties have not, and don't appear to in the near future to be creating titles that captivate on this idea.

jj984jj said:
I thought this wasn't confirmed for 2011 anymore? Only SF64 and Kid Icarus are.
Looking around, seems it's not confirmed in Japan but is in the US. My mistake.

I expect we'll probably see both Mario Kart and Animal Crossing for the holiday though (Japan and elsewhere). Especially now that the platform's stumbling a little, 3DS needs it.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
lunchwithyuzo said:
Looking around, seems it's not confirmed in Japan but is in the US. My mistake.

I expect we'll probably see both Mario Kart and Animal Crossing for the holiday though (Japan and elsewhere). Especially now that the platform's stumbling a little, 3DS needs it.
I'm definitely expecting it to have a worldwide launch, but if NCL says it's not coming in 2011 I doubt it'll be released elsewhere this year. I agree that they could be trying to get it out because it's a game they need, we'll probably find out for sure if it'll make it at E3.

jj984jj said:
I'm definitely expecting it to have a worldwide launch, but if NCL says it's not coming in 2011 I doubt it'll be released elsewhere this year. I agree that they could be trying to get it out because it's a game they need, we'll probably find out for sure if it'll make it at E3.
Just to clarify, NCL hasn't said it's not coming in 2011 either. They just haven't confirmed one way or the other. Same with Animal Crossing, Paper Mario and Super Mario (ie: the big guns).

The way things are going, I also kind of wonder if OOT 3D gets pushed up in Japan? Could make a good Golden Week title?

sillik

Banned
Sadist said:
3DS needs compelling software. Now if that MH on 3DS is true...

i'm sure 3DS will get it at some point, but don't expect capcom to go exclusive. The ngp is already getting its MH share, there's no way in hell capcom will devide that userbase when they could easily develop the real next MH for both platforms.

Top Bottom