• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2011 (Mar 21 - Mar 27)

[Nintex] said:
That's why it had such a bumpy start.

There's plenty of AR stuff out there so it isn't exactly new, that's what I was saying. And yes we can blame Konno since Nintendo put him forward as the 'face' of the 3DS, given all the interviews it's pretty clear that he was in charge of the Nintendo 3DS line-up.

Price is all Iwata or Nintendo sales department or both... also, when did we last hear from Sakamoto after Other M bombed? Not a single peep about the game, franchise or its creator since.(well, outside of that Team Ninja guy adding a Metroid stage to DOA)

Nintendo's sole reason for not launching the 3DS in 2010 was because they were convinced it would sell better in 2011 because they had more supply available. According to Iwata himself they're holding back games that are 'ready' to give other titles some space. A complete failure in judgment. Also, you can't keep blaming the tsunami, it certainly had 'some' effect on sales in that region but sales of other systems hardly changed.

I'm not sure if Retro would want to develop more DKC games. I believe Nintendo will have another Retro Studios 'incident' if they keep letting them pump out sequels. It would be best if they made something new or rebooted something else next.
I wasn't 100% sure on launch lineup. Does he have control over what was released and what wasn't then?

Do we normally hear a lot from big Nintendo designers after they release a game? Typically, I thought they tend to do a lot of interviews around the game's release and we don't hear from them again until then. I do think Sakamoto's leash will be tightened and Metroid may go into hibernation but considering how much of a bomba M:OM ended up being I don't think he is super fucked. He still has created and designed many new and good selling games this past generation(Although I will say the lack of Wario Ware near 3DS launch might be a bad sign).

Outside of the post you just quoted I've never used the tsunami as an excuse so I don't know why you said I can't keep making that excuse(at least I'm 99% sure I haven't). I only said it was a factor among many. Also, had it been released during the holiday season I believe it would've been supply constrained. You're right it did fail to meet Nintendo's expectations but calling it a failure is different. I agree holding titles back to let 3rd party games sell well was a bad decision because for the most part it has affected sales of the 3DS. It may have benefited Layton and possibly SF4 but having fighters and racing games(two dying genres in Japan) as big launch titles was bad judgement.

I mean based on Iwata Asks it seemed to me that Retro had a lot of ideas that kept coming in towards the end of development. Also from what I understand Retro is capable of working on more than one game at once. While I agree Retro should be allowed more freedom, I don't think Nintendo would neccesarily allow them to completely abandon DKCR after it just sold a lot. Nintendo has the same teams develop Mario Kart, 2D Mario, Zelda, 3D Mario, etc and I don't think it's fair to treat Retro better than their other established studios that have made more better selling games than Retro. I do think Retro will be allowed more freedom and as I said I think they're capable of working on more than one project at once. I don't expect them to make DKCR trilogy and then move on but it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo wanted them to release another one on their next system like NSMB DS, NSMB Wii and the inevitable NSMB 3DS.

Chris1964 said:
Next week's releases {2011.04.07}

[PSP] Earth Defence Force 2 Portable (D3 Publisher)

Just wondering do we have precedent for this - a version of a game that is sold with 2 copies of exactly the same game in one unit?

Any idea how trackers will handle this? (one verison of the game with 2 copies, one version with one)

M3d10n

[Nintex] said:
Outside of the 3D screen, the 3DS just 'repackages' everything including the 'innovations' that Nintendo has made in the last couple of years. There's more or less nothing new:
- Pilotwings - recycled from Wii Sports Resort
- Mii's - already introduced with the Wii
- AR Games - somewhat new but they messed around with stuff like WarioWare before and there's plenty of this stuff available elsewhere
- E-shop/browser etc. - not available at launch
- Nintendogs + Cats - from what I've seen not quite as impressive or 'ground breaking' as the first Nintendogs game, people even call it 'more of the same' and there's plenty of other pet sims out there

This leads to one conclusion, Hideki Konno is super fucked because multiple games will bomb or underperform on his watch while the 3DS struggles to get out of the door.
It's quite obvious that having a line-up that isn't dominated by Nintendo's own titles at the start seems to be part of their plan to lure Japanese developers away from the PSP.

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Just wondering do we have precedent for this - a version of a game that is sold with 2 copies of exactly the same game in one unit?

Any idea how trackers will handle this? (one verison of the game with 2 copies, one version with none)
I don't remember anything like that.

I suppose they'll count usual SKU units, be it normal edition or limited edition with 2 UMDs, one sale is one sale. It'll reported combined too (and most likely with no breakdown of normal/limited) so we won't actually know the number of UMDs.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Kenka said:
Yes. I am happy. So, there is still no reason to cheer up for it, it won't have a chance to cross the million bar or maybe yes ?
Joker 2: Pro will be lucky to sell half of Joker 2. After all it's an expansion. But retailers and S-E obviously underestimated the demand for it.

Many 3rd parties have abandoned DS very early in favor of 3DS when the userbase is still there for big titles.

Cygnus X-1

M3d10n said:
It's quite obvious that having a line-up that isn't dominated by Nintendo's own titles at the start seems to be part of their plan to lure Japanese developers away from the PSP.

At least now we can conclude that third parties are quite unable to sustain Nintendo's systems alone.
I wonder what now can be their excuse, since the statement "Nintendo's games monopolize gamers attention on Nintendo's systems and prevent third party games to sell" is now tested with the 3DS.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
c036a036-s.jpg

http://twitpic.com/4g0uf3

8a3693a2.jpg

34a76212.jpg

fc02fc34.jpg

03b6a85c-s.jpg

3c404922-s.jpg

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/2810272.html

Idolmaster 2 is everywhere

gerg

Just so people who can't read Japanese understand the sign, I *think* the 19,000 yen price is for people who buy a 3DS game (or 3DS games) at the same time as purchasing the hardware. Either way, it's probably not too promising.

[Nintex]

gerg said:
Just so people who can't read Japanese understand the sign, I *think* the 19,000 yen price is for people who buy a 3DS game (or 3DS games) at the same time as purchasing the hardware. Either way, it's probably not too promising.
They launched it at 25,000 Yen right?

If our armchair analysis is right and Nintendo sold half of their 3DS shipment worldwide... good god they're fucked. "But but but DS wasn't doing so hot at the start either"... well yes but they hadn't produced that many units

antonz said:
Those are used units arent they?. never really understood the japanese mentality with that stuff. Always so quick on trade ins and buy backs when stuff comes out etc
Look one post above mine

antonz

[Nintex] said:
They launched it at 25,000 Yen right?
Those are used units arent they?. never really understood the japanese mentality with that stuff. Always so quick on trade ins and buy backs when stuff comes out etc

gerg

[Nintex] said:
Look one post above mine

Actually, if the units are in glass cases like that I think there's a good chance that they're used. I don't think that the sign says anything specific about them being used models, but you often find used units on display in cases like that.

Ratrat

Yeah, its for customers that buy at least one game with the console. And they are used. Its just until they sell out their stock.... amazon is also selling a bit low.

cvxfreak

Those 3DS deals are for used systems.

Amazon JP is matching the big stores that offer ¥1000 worth of points with the purchase of a 3DS, something that has been done since launch.

That said, a 3DS slowdown is surely underway. There's little compelling software on the horizon until this winter.

Nintendo need to get some big software out there. Fair enough they want to encourage 3rd parties to support the system but i think they would be more confident if the hardware was moving a lot faster.

I still think things are looking ok. Once they get some big games out and see out the first holiday season i think things will look very different.

cvxfreak said:
Those 3DS deals are for used systems.

Amazon JP is matching the big stores that offer ¥1000 worth of points with the purchase of a 3DS, something that has been done since launch.

That said, a 3DS slowdown is surely underway. There's little compelling software on the horizon until this winter.

I think a bigger marker is the fact that 3ds trade in price has moved down to the 18,000-19,000 range extremely quickly.

That store is probably making a profit selling them at that deal(although again 22500~ for used prices seem to be more the norm)

also good to note: psp's trade in price was 9000 yen a year ago, the exact same psp's trade in price now is 13,000.

4/14 pilotwings and baseball should give us at least enough of a pull for no drastic fall that week.

matmanx1

Sort of mind boggling that the trade in price for a PSP in Japan is roughly equivalent to what a new PSP sells for here in the US. For even more perspective Gamestop's trade credit on a used PSP 3000 is around $50.

I also think that those who are predicting doom and gloom for the 3DS are jumping the gun. We've already repeated the factors that have led to the slowdown in sales ad nauseum but it's still way to early to say much about the 3DS long term sales potential.

rosjos44

My cousin in law is in Okinawa and sees a good bit of PSP's (asked him to take a few pictures). He also goes to the mainland too have to ask him tonight if hes seen any.

king zell

Japanese retailer cuts 3DS price (i cant link to the story since it's a banned site))

so this is way Go Nintendo is banned

Takao

Banned
Advertising for Cardboard Wars/Danball Senki/The Little Battlers/MedabotsCustomRobo ARPG has started. It makes full mention of it being on the PSP, so I imagine we can squash those "It was delayed so it could get a 3DS port!" rumors, well, at least for now.

Looking at the latest Famitsu Top 30, I notice Ni No Kuni makes the list at #26. However, they both give its release date of December last year and call it NEW. Just an error on their part, yes? No special release?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
JoshuaJSlone said:
Looking at the latest Famitsu Top 30, I notice Ni No Kuni makes the list at #26. However, they both give its release date of December last year and call it NEW. Just an error on their part, yes? No special release?
Ιf my memory is not wrong after Famitsu changed the formating, every game that is outside top30 both previous weeks is listed as new.

Chris1964 said:
Ιf my memory is not wrong after Famitsu changed the formating, every game that is outside top30 both previous weeks is listed as new.
I don't think so; they stopped listing the ranks for weeks outside the Top 30, but a few times in January games popped back up and had the previous weeks listed as -/-. So just a flub this time I guess. (Or a very minor format change, I guess.)

Takao

Banned
Spiegel said:
first week estimates from azalyn:

DS DQMJ2P - 230k
PSP Amagami+ - 100k
PSP Blazblue CS2 - 30k

You add a zero or something? Isn't that absurdly high for a dating sim?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Spiegel said:
first week estimates from azalyn:

DS DQMJ2P - 230k
PSP Amagami+ - 100k
PSP Blazblue CS2 - 30k

Didnt expect it to sell that much....good for SE i guess.

Neo C.

I wonder how Nintendo responds to the current trend. Perhaps the next redesign should be about making the 3DS cheaper instead giving an additional luxury tax (see DSi and DSi XL)?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Neo C. said:
I wonder how Nintendo responds to the current trend. Perhaps the next redesign should be about making the 3DS cheaper instead giving an additional luxury tax (see DSi and DSi XL)?

3DS withouth 3DScreen for 15K Yen ?

Neo C.

cw_sasuke said:
3DS withouth 3DScreen for 15K Yen ?
No, though a third pillar strategy might be wise if the 3DS can't recover in the next three years. :p

What I really mean: A redesign with the same setup, but focused on design and lowering production costs only. Kinda like the DS Lite but with more focus on cost reduction.

BadWolf said:
I'd love to see a really close race between the two, Sony and Nintendo constantly trying to one up each other to try and pull ahead.

Well unless I'm having a morning brain freeze, he's expecting NGP to be between 19-26 million, so yeah that would be definitely closer as PSP will end up around 20 million and DS around 33, 34 million.

Heavy said:
Am I the only who thinks maybe the Japanese just aren't diggin' the 3D? Similar to how they dislike FPS games.

I think the reception in the US and Europe has been unexpectedly muted as well, so it's not just a Japanese thing. Give it a year, if some good software and a possible price cut don't improve the situation, then it's time to get worried.

Takao

Banned
I wasn't exactly blown away by the 3D either. Maybe it was the games I played, but I felt the hype was kind of unwarranted, yet still understandable because of it being the successor to the DS.

Yoboman

Neon_Icarus said:
I think the reception in the US and Europe has been unexpectedly muted as well, so it's not just a Japanese thing. Give it a year, if some good software and a possible price cut don't improve the situation, then it's time to get worried.
I think Nintendo made a HUGGGGEEE marketing errors calling it the 3DS and having it look exactly like the DS. Furthermore their marketing resembles DS's. From what I've heard, many people going into Best Buy and Gamestop seem to think that 3DS is just a new DS version like DS Lite and DSXL were.

Heavy said:
Am I the only who thinks maybe the Japanese just aren't diggin' the 3D? Similar to how they dislike FPS games.

I somehow think Nintendo would have done some market research concerning 3D reception within their home country before making it the selling point of their next system.

Pein

Banned
Heavy said:
3DS software blows right now. Its not just japan, I can walk in to any game shop in NYC and they have systems. The near future is pretty bleak for good 3DS games.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Yoboman said:
I think Nintendo made a HUGGGGEEE marketing errors calling it the 3DS and having it look exactly like the DS. Furthermore their marketing resembles DS's. From what I've heard, many people going into Best Buy and Gamestop seem to think that 3DS is just a new DS version like DS Lite and DSXL were.

Absolutely. 3DS is a great name in some ways, but it doesn't differentiate itself well enough. However, the lack of a must-buy piece of software is probably as much a problem as anything else. Not that the 3DS is doing terribly or anything...

Top Bottom