• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 19, 2011 (May 9 - May 15)

Tron 2.0

Wow at Nintendo. And not a good wow.

It's interesting that their products have followed the more traditional console cycle, where as Sony has been able to defy that this generation. Even with the PSP.

There is nothing good to say about the 3DS numbers. What a disaster.

gerg

kame-sennin said:
In a recent 'Iwata Asks', Iwata and Miyamoto recalled that Yamauchi referred to the hardware as "a box that people buy so they can play the software". Miyamoto and Iwata then laughed :/

Although, this stands in contrast to Investor Relations where Iwata specifically mentioned software as key for driving the 3DS and the Wii (even in its downwards turn).

You have to be pretty disingenuous to argue that Nintendo, of all companies, does not believe in the importance of good software in selling its hardware.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sadist said:
So, Japan declared that they are in a recession again. Doesn't bode to well for the industry.
Looking at the game line-up, I think it's more them deciding there is nothing interesting to buy.

I mean, a slightly upgraded version of Dragon Quest Joker that released over a month ago is topping the sales charts because there's nothing else to buy.

kame-sennin said:
In a recent 'Iwata Asks', Iwata and Miyamoto recalled that Yamauchi referred to the hardware as "a box that people buy so they can play the software". Miyamoto and Iwata then laughed :/

Interestingly, the original version of that interview said:

“The hardware is just a box you buy only because you want to play Mario games.” Those were his exact words. (laughs)

But seems to have been edited since.

Sadist

Nirolak said:
Looking at the game line-up, I think it's more them deciding there is nothing interesting to buy.

I mean, a slightly upgraded version of Dragon Quest Joker that released over a month ago is topping the sales charts because there's nothing else to buy.
True, but these have been the lowest sales in quite some time. I don't think it's just the lack of good releases.

Chalk me up to one of the Phoenix-PSP users here in the West. I bought about 10 games this year alone and have been playing the thing non-stop since a long time, a great second life for the system.

Still on the fence on buying a 3DS. Ocarina of Time and E3 might push me over but not yet.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sadist said:
True, but these have been the lowest sales in quite some time. I don't think it's just the lack of good releases.
True, these are unusually low even for a dead period.

I would agree that there is definitely an economic factor playing in.

However, I think there is also the factor of there really being nothing on the horizon.

I mean, there are essentially zero Wii games announced outside of Zelda and a Dragon Quest game for somewhere in 2012, no major DS games left, and the 3DS's major titles all have very nebulous release dates.

Most anything for the PS3 also largely appeals to an audience that already has the platform and is a somewhat smaller title in nature.

The PSP does have upcoming major games though and is seeing the healthiest sales, but they're still quite low overall due to audience overlap. The 3DS is following in second since it does at least have titles on the horizon, even if that horizon is pretty far away.

I guess the best way to summarize my argument is to say that if we had a lot of major releases going on right now, I don't think we would be seeing much of a slow down regardless of the economy. The U.S. economy was pretty bad in March 2010, but it was still the biggest March ever just because we had so many major games coming out, and I suspect a similar situation would apply to Japan.

[Nintex]

Cygnus X-1 said:
Wow at all the numbers. What's going on? Crash of the japanese videogaming industry imminent?
The crash happened years ago. Nintendo kinda managed to hold off the effect but this was a long time coming. The Japanese are still counting on their franchises from 10/20 years ago like Ridge Racer and Final Fantasy which all declined in sales during the last few years. There's only a couple of hits like Monster Hunter, New Super Mario Bros. and Love Plus and the developers and publishers are aiming for the US/EU market and most are failing at it.

The real surprise is Nintendo failing with the Nintendo 3DS since the handheld market is what has kept the Japanese videogame market running for years now.

Kinan

Ok, looks like its time to update the NDS vs 3DS weekly sales graph:

rp2ocphg4mfm.jpg

Still not much difference to NDS besides a non-holiday launch.

m.i.s.

Banned
|System | This Week | Last Week | Last Year | YTD | Last YTD | LTD |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| PSP | 34.826 | 55.140 | 25.346 | 919.165 | 933.497 | 17.569.377 |

The only positive one can take away is that PSP did more this week than at the same time last year. Still, it can't get any lower right (I hope)?

ps: do Nintendo still manufacture DS lite for sale in Japan?

Cygnus X-1

Everything is going nuts anyway. Without a strong Nintendo, Sony doesn't really seem able to sustain the industry alone.

At this point, we'll see in the next months if the quite packed 3DS schedule will have some positive effect. Probably it will.

If not, Nintendo should launch a successor of the Gameboy. No gimmick. No shit. No 3D. Just Gameboy evolution with a new Super Mario Land. I bet it would sell like crazy.

m.i.s.

Banned
Cygnus X-1 said:
Sony doesn't really seem able to sustain the industry alone.

Yeah, Sony's days in the sun [PS and PS2] are well and truly over. The result of their massive mis-steps, of-course, with the yokes that were BD-ROM and Cell around their neck.

It'll be interesting to see which systems will become the dominant platform in the future - will the Japanese take to 3DS or NGP or Cafe or neither of these?

SSJ1Goku

Banned
Cygnus X-1 said:
Everything is going nuts anyway. Without a strong Nintendo, Sony doesn't really seem able to sustain the industry alone.
Sony did just fine during the PS1 and PS2 gen
EDIT: Oh my bad, that was his point

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
M.I.S. said:
It'll be interesting to see which systems will become the dominant platform in the future - will the Japanese take to 3DS or NGP or Cafe or neither of these?
If I had to guess today, I would say that it will be the 3DS and NGP, with the two being much closer than last generation, but neither soaring to the heights of the DS as casual gamers gravitate toward phones and mobile-based social sites.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Remember when everyone was all like "3DS is gonna steamroll it, Sony say goodbye to the handheld market" and I was all like "3D is a shite gimmick anyway"?

Why does GAF suck so much at predictions?

Regulus Tera said:
Remember when everyone was all like "3DS is gonna steamroll it, Sony say goodbye to the handheld market" and I was all like "3D is a shite gimmick anyway"?

2012 is the year of the 3DS

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Regulus Tera said:

I don't think anyone predicted the PSP or Sony handhelds to be dead after the 3DS, they survived the DS... So they should and will be able to live together.

m.i.s.

Banned
Regulus Tera said:

Still early days for the 3DS.

I think it'll do much better with the DS out of the way, key titles launching and a [quiet] price drop. Just leave the LL/XL there for seniors and women and for those that want it (a curiosity item like the GB Micro in the previous gen).

DS has pretty much reached saturation point in Japan anyway, so hopefully, DS sales will just fade away and 3DS pick up the slack. Nintendo just need to give things a nudge by shipping key titles and dropping their prices for best effect.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
M.I.S. said:
Gaf hive mind
*Thinks back to ten minutes ago when he linked to the FAQ about "GAF Hivemind" accusations as they just serve to destroy discussion and start arguments about who said what instead of specifically addressing the people who made the claims in the first place, allowing those people to respond and for actual discussion to happen about their opinions, predictions, and/or statements.*

I'll just facepalm and come back to this thread tomorrow.

m.i.s.

Banned
Nirolak said:
*Thinks back to ten minutes ago when he linked to the FAQ about "GAF Hivemind" accusations as they just serve to destroy discussion and start arguments about who said what instead of specifically addressing the people who made the claims in the first place, so they can respond and actual discussion can happen.*

I'll just facepalm and come back to this thread tomorrow.

Not so stealth edit. :eek:)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
M.I.S. said:
Not so stealth edit. :eek:)
That's fine, I figured I should just explain more directly why this rule exists.

I mean yes, there were lots of people who thought this way, though it does a disservice to those who didn't to paint the whole group.

Though this does raise an interesting question. With Nintendo failing to win the competition before it ever started, will Sony be able to leverage their opening and create a much tighter competition this generation?

Mother of god, those are some terrible numbers all around.

First I was surprised that a game with 20k could top the charts. Then I saw that the you only needed to sell 6k games to get in the top 10. Then I went to hardware numbers and everything seems to have plummeted into half.

I hope to got this is some special don't-buy-anything week that happens in the slowest part of the year, because otherwise the Japanese market looks absolutely fucked.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Pureauthor said:
Best case scenario is that this forces Nintendo to get their rear in gear and step their game up majorly.
I think we're seeing signs of that with both Mario Kart and Super Mario 3DS targeted to release this calendar year.

The question is if this will be enough.

While I can see the obvious benefit Super Mario 3DS gains by being on the 3DS, both in terms of being a full fledged 3D Mario platformer on handhelds for the first time as well as 3D aiding in depth perception, I kind of wonder about Mario Kart.

With Mario Kart DS, it was the first time you could have a full fledged Mario Kart game on a portable, and with Mario Kart Wii, it was the first time you could control Mario Kart with wheel like controls.

What does Mario Kart 3DS offer that makes it worth $250 for the handheld plus $40 for the game (or the equivalent in yen)?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Were the NDS and the PSP known as "casual" systems?

Nirolak said:
That's fine, I figured I should just explain more directly why this rule exists.

I mean yes, there were lots of people who thought this way, though it does a disservice to those who didn't to paint the whole group.

Though this does raise an interesting question. With Nintendo failing to win the competition before it ever started, will Sony be able to leverage their opening and create a much tighter competition this generation?

I still think price and lack of games has a lot to do with 3DS struggles and those are easy fixes. One can be fixed immediately while the other can be fixed over time. The DS was selling at a similar rate at this time of year during its first year. Price wasn't as big of an issue since the DS was cheaper and there was no recession, but games sure as hell were.

[Nintex]

Nirolak said:
Though this does raise an interesting question. With Nintendo failing to cease the competition before it ever started, will Sony be able to leverage their opening and create a much tighter competition this generation?
No Square Enix is going to transfer their funds from Japan to Eidos. Sony is going to focus on the US/EU market with games like Uncharted and Resistance? Whatever the NGP line-up ends up being the Japanese probably won't give a flying fuck about 90% of the games released this year and next year. The NGP also won't be cheap so both Nintendo and Sony will crash and burn with their handhelds because they both totally ignore the <$200 handheld market that made systems like the GameBoy and DS take off.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ULTROS! said:
Were the NDS and the PSP known as "casual" systems?
I think the DS was for a while at least.

Friend Collection, Brain Training, and Nintendogs are titles that sold to an audience that may not have bought games before.

Sales really low this week.
Still things just going to get worst , Japan biggest problem is there birth rate.
Even if there economy recover there's no new blood to buy these system .

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
gundamkyoukai said:
Sales really low this week.
Still things just going to get worst , Japan biggest problem is there birth rate.
Well, the birth rate is currently primarily an issue for industries who are unable to appeal to older audiences.

If your system relies heavily on kids and young teens, you're going to get hit a lot harder.

Nirolak said:
I think we're seeing signs of that with both Mario Kart and Super Mario 3DS targeted to release this calendar year.

The question is if this will be enough.

While I can see the obvious benefit Super Mario 3DS gains by being on the 3DS, both in terms of being a full fledged 3D Mario platformer on handhelds for the first time as well as 3D aiding in depth perception, I kind of wonder about Mario Kart.

With Mario Kart DS, it was the first time you could have a full fledged Mario Kart game on a portable, and with Mario Kart Wii, it was the first time you could control Mario Kart with wheel like controls.

What does Mario Kart 3DS offer that makes it worth $250 for the handheld plus $40 for the game (or the equivalent in yen)?
What about Super Circuit for GBA? At the time it was every bit as meaty as any Mario Kart that had come before it.

m.i.s.

Banned
[QUOTE='[Nintex]The NGP also won't be cheap so both Nintendo and Sony will crash and burn with their handhelds because they both totally ignore the <$200 handheld market that made systems like the GameBoy and DS take off.[/QUOTE]

Except Nintendo have considerable room to reduce prices on 3DS (which I think they will). There's no way Nintendo will be happy with these sales.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Magicpaint said:
What about Super Circuit for GBA? At the time it was every bit as meaty as any Mario Kart that had come before it.
True. I was thinking in the 3D (as in fully polygonal) and easy multiplayer sense, but that was as large as any 2D based game.

Oxx

Pureauthor said:
Best case scenario is that this forces Nintendo to get their rear in gear and step their game up majorly.

I feel like they have been playing it relatively safe since they hit the Wii with the Wii Fit, Mario Kart, Smash Bros. triumvirate. They have been treading water since then.

They haven't shown anything capable of being 'The Next Big Thing' in the last 3 years.

Oxx said:
I feel like they have been playing it relatively safe since they hit the Wii with the Wii Fit, Mario Kart, Smash Bros. triumvirate. They have been treading water since then.

They haven't shown anything capable of being 'The Next Big Thing' in the last 3 years.

We'll see the next big thing next month. And hopefully it will be enough to make up for the 2 or so years of basically nothing from Nintendo.

Nirolak said:
True. I was thinking in the 3D (as in fully polygonal) and easy multiplayer sense, but that was as large as any 2D based game.
Yeah, with Super Circuit you had to use the Link cable for multiplayer which is a bit cumbersome and there was no convenience of the online mode. I think MK DS/Wii blowing up like that is a direct result of pulling in new types of gamers, and the Mario Kart games are accessible enough to get them involved. Mario Kart is a doubt for me on 3DS because of the high price of the system. Do people want Mario Kart so badly that they will buy the system for it? I think it will take more than JUST Mario Kart. The DS had Brain Training, Nintendogs and Animal Crossing to pave the way for Mario Kart, for example. The 3DS just needs a compelling stream of software releases rather than some killer app, imo.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Stumpokapow said:
they showed the best selling console game of the last 25 years during that period :p
Graphics Horse said:
Isn't that meant to be clarified with "*which isn't bundled with some kind of accessory."?
If he's referring to NSMB Wii, that actually gets disqualified for having a console bundle inflating it quite a bit.

Mario Kart was actually bundled with an accessory too, though the accessory was pretty much just for the game it came with.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Nirolak said:
If he's referring to NSMB Wii, that actually gets disqualified for having a console bundle inflating it quite a bit.

NSMB Wii is the best selling console game of the last 25 years (in Japan, naturally, that is the thread we're in)--without bundling or accessories, or with.

Top Bottom