• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2013 (Aug 19 - Aug 25)

DragonSworne, pls. :lol
He' deserves plenty of blame but if anything, Iwata should go "Yamauchi" on his Board and retire them instead. He's needs to surround himself with ideas from Young Members on the Board and not the old bunch of gits he has now.

He should stop hosting the Nintendo Directs first. Not sure if he really thinks he is some kind of Steve Jobs.

Meier

The Wonderful 101.. so sad. :( I don't know that it would have done much better elsewhere though. It seems like the gaming landscape and consumer interest has simply changed.

Again, talking about Japan here.

DMC4 sold 245K in the first week. And it's the biggest IP in the genre in Japan (If we don't count MGR which obviously was helped by the fact is a MGS spin off), Bayonetta, a new IP in the same genre did 200k+. How is that a failure?

DmC barely passed 100k in the first week...

If Bayo 2 was cancelled was mostly because Sega faced a huge restructuring and dropped any console development that wasn't their most succesful and fail safe IP's. It probably didn't do lot of money or maybe even Sega lost money in the end, but the game "in Japan" did quite well, considering the market.

W101 is an utter bomba in comparisson.

To be fair, I didn't say that Bayo was a failure, per se....but it sure wasn't a success either.

The thing that makes me so sad is that Platinum is a great company with many talented people in it. They makes games that deserve much more in sales than what they get.

W101 having this bad of a debut is horrifically sad, but hopefully worldwide it ends up with a decent LTD.

He said there wasn't 1st party support, there has been a game a month, that's all I'm saying. What are the types they need? Release a Mario Kart a month? Wario doesn't sell, but Pikmin could be a decent seller and NSLU is an expansion to Wii U's highest selling game, I see no problem with these releases. In the coming months, we'll have Mario, Zelda and DKC, 3 of their biggest IPs, I see no major problem with these choices. In fact, they're safe choices.

The problem is, what we have coming is virtually indistinguishable from what has come before on 3DS.
NSLU is obviously indistinguishable from NSMBU, which itself was only 3 months after the 3DS game NSMB2.
Mario 3D world looks far too similar to 3D land. As does DKC.

Why would anyone buy a Wii U when they could get an equivilant title on 3ds for literally everything the Wii U has coming, for cheaper, and with a much larger library of other games?

Lord knows, I'm happy enough with my purchase now with Lego City (even then, this has a much more successful 3DS game...)/Pikmin 3/ Wonderful101 as games you can only get there, but that certainly isn't going to be how the public see it.

Coolwhip

Banned
Disappointing for a new and hardcore IP.

Maybe the combination of cheerful visuals and hardcore gameplay don't go well together.

Pikmin isn't really an action game, though. Completely different audiences.

My assumption was that the audience was more broad, more like "Wii U owners looking for quality exclusives to play" and not one of genre. Like, sure Nintendo makes a lot of platformers, but their stable of IPs is really really broad, so if you imagine a "Nintendo fan" then that is someone who likes a broad range of game styles. Thinking like that, I imagined the overlap of Pikmin and TW101 to be more than 2%.

I cant believe zombiu did better. Wiiu owners have literally it seems thrown the system in the closet

That seems like the wrong interpretation considering Pikmin opened quite well just weeks ago.

Guymelef

First, Kamiya says he doesnt see any magazine previews, says stores aren't promoting the game because they don't really understand what it is. There aren't enough ads or awareness he says its not a cheap game to make either, he estimates that in terms of manpower and resources, they spent 1.5 times what they did on Bayonetta 1*. He says in terms of "no one really gets the game, so there isnt a lot of hype" its similar to Okami**
And Bayonetta wasn't profitable...

Yeah, but Captain Rainbow opened at 6,361 and did 22,682 LTD by Famitsu.

I would argue that despite being made by Nintendo, that was also an audience mismatch.

It's kind of like some of the Kinect games Microsoft made or almost all of the Move games from Sony. Even though they were first party, they weren't a good match for their demographics.

Another example would be something like Banjo 360.

Yeah, but overall I think the art style fits the audience, and like Captain Rainbow which was treated like a very niche production, I feel W101 could have fared batter with more support from Nintendo.

If W101 is a mismatch I can't even think what Bayo2 is then....

duckroll

Again, talking about Japan here.

DMC4 sold 245K in the first week. And it's the biggest IP in the genre in Japan (If we don't count MGR which obviously was helped by the fact is a MGS spin off), Bayonetta, a new IP in the same genre did 200k+. How is that a failure?

DmC barely passed 100k in the first week...

If Bayo 2 was cancelled was mostly because Sega faced a huge restructuring and dropped any console development that wasn't their most succesful and fail safe IP's. It probably didn't do lot of money or maybe even Sega lost money in the end, but the game "in Japan" did quite well, considering the market.

W101 is an utter bomba in comparisson.

I think the problem with talking only about Japan is that large companies with business presence worldwide do not make decisions due to a single region. Sometimes a single region might not even be enough to sustain a product on their own. Bayonetta definitely sold well for what it is in Japan, but did Sega enter into the publishing deal just for Japanese sales? Certainly not. Wasn't the entire partnership with Platinum first announced at a press event in Europe?

Delio

Trying to revive the Wii U is a lost cause. Personally, they need to seriously consider not releasing SSB4 and the next Zelda on Wii U and think about converting the Zelda game and make it a launch game for their next system.

How quickly do you expect them to get a new system out? They are just going to have to ride out a low selling Wii U for this whole gen and piggyback off the 3DS.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Those TW101 numbers are heartbreaking.I hope this doesn't hamper the Nintendo/Platinum relationship. Good night sweet prince...

EDarkness

well kinda, yeah. they should have been holiday titles at or shortly after launch. the wii u did have a pretty good launch in japan though, so it's hard to criticize that. nintendo was better off saving the likes of game & wario and pikmin 3 for some holiday blitz instead of this one game a month thing.

Of course, looking back, I really get the feeling they simply weren't ready to release the Wii U. And they should have held it until they were really ready. There's really no way they're going to get a 3DS revival with this system.

Holy crap @ W101. o_O

I knew it was going to bomb, but this is insane. Platinum must be cursed, their games bomb so hard they have a negative effect on hardware sales. The games sells about 5000 copies and the console it's on drops by the same number...

Now I fear Bayonetta 2 might the last game in the franchise =(

Fabrik

Banned
Yeah, but Captain Rainbow opened at 6,361 and did 22,682 LTD by Famitsu.

Great analogy. By doing a boyish superhero game, they cut half of their potential buyers. For instance, female gamers are instantly left on the side. Another problem is that the game is simply too hectic, similar to bullet hell shooters which are reserved for a few "elite" gamers.

nampad

Remember when we thought 10k based on blog posts was bad? Merely over 5000, unbelievable.
Platinum Games really is cursed and with the cboat rumor about them working on an Xbox One exclusive, I can already see their next bomba (if it's not Bayonetta 2).

Was there any big Vita exclusive that bombed equally bad?

That would destroy any all third party relations Nintendo has. It's suicide. Wii U needs to survive this gen, Nintendo does not went to enter another console cycle with worst third party relations than it started this one with. Might as well leave the console business all together. Regardless how the wii u sales Nintendo needs to at least make sure some third parties are reasonably ok in developing for their system.
You can't survive when you are already dead.

Still, I agree with you somewhat. They're gonna have to ride this one out and release a next next gen console that developers AND consumers actually want to use.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, but overall I think the art style fits the audience, and like Captain Rainbow which was treated like a very niche production, I feel W101 could have fared batter with more support from Nintendo.

If W101 is a mismatch I can't even think what Bayo2 is then....

I do think the art style (well, at least the color palette, maybe not so much the actual art design beyond that) reminds me of other Nintendo games so I'm at least somewhat with you on that point.

But yeah, Bayonetta has tons of gore and violence and involves doing things like putting half naked angel chick monsters in torture devices and whipping them sexually before killing them so it's about as far from "Nintendo" as I can possibly think.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
There's a very real chance that Nintendo may be cancelling Bayonetta 2 if TW101's sales are this bad worldwide.

No, I don't think so. Bayonetta was a million seller, after all, and a title which found an audience. And it's a 2014 title. Bayonetta 2 will be finished and will be shipped.

The real problem is what will happen after Bayonetta 2, after it'll have sold half of what the first did.

Trying to revive the Wii U is a lost cause. Personally, they need to seriously consider not releasing SSB4 and the next Zelda on Wii U and think about converting the Zelda game and make it a launch game for their next system.
What would a new console actually solve? Even if a hypothetical Nintendo Next were an x86/AMD powerhouse with traditional control methods you still wouldn't get rid of the baggage Nintendo has accumulated over the past decade.

Scum

well kinda, yeah. they should have been holiday titles at or shortly after launch. the wii u did have a pretty good launch in japan though, so it's hard to criticize that. nintendo was better off saving the likes of game & wario and pikmin 3 for some holiday blitz instead of this one game a month thing.
Save the games for the holidays and launch @ Yen equivalent of £199.99 Premium or £239.99 Premium with a game.

I completely agree. Get rid of Miyamoto and Takeda.

They should be nowhere near a board room making business decisions.

Miyamoto NEEDS to be moved back into game development. His conservative ways has no place on the Board where he affects company wide decisions.

I think the problem with talking only about Japan is that large companies with business presence worldwide do not make decisions due to a single region. Sometimes a single region might not even be enough to sustain a product on their own. Bayonetta definitely sold well for what it is in Japan, but did Sega enter into the publishing deal just for Japanese sales? Certainly not. Wasn't the entire partnership with Platinum first announced at a press event in Europe?

I know, but since we are talking about Japan sales I wanted to note that, Bayo, unlike other PG titles or even W101, did well in Japan. I know that the game certainly did not do as well in Europe and America and that they probably thought in those markets when making the game, since the genre is more popular in the west than Japan, but I feel that when people says "Bayo was a bomb too" they forgot that the game actually did well in Japan.

The Wonderful 101.. so sad. :( I don't know that it would have done much better elsewhere though. It seems like the gaming landscape and consumer interest has simply changed.

There is currently no interest in the WiiU and the WiiU fanbase had little interest in W101, the answer is simple as that.

Kouriozan

14./00. [WIU] The Wonderful 101 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.08.24} (¥6.830) - 5.258 / NEW

2mdnV4l.jpg

As expected.

11./04. [3DS] One Piece: Romance Dawn - Bouken no Yoake <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.08.08} (¥5.980) - 6.712 / 47.210 (-57%)
Surprised by its leg, for a JRPG.

Delio

What would a new console actually solve? Even if a hypothetical Nintendo Next were an x86/AMD powerhouse with traditional control methods you still wouldn't get rid of the baggage Nintendo has accumulated over the past decade.

I feel that's always going to be a big problem. Even with a powerful system I dont think they would get support. I love Nintendo but the Wii U has been pretty dissapointing :/

No, I don't think so. Bayonetta was a million seller, after all, and a title which found an audience. And it's a 2014 title. Bayonetta 2 will be finished and will be shipped.

The real problem is what will happen after Bayonetta 2, after it'll have sold half of what the first did.

Right which is why something like fe x smt which had barely started development seems very likely canned if something doesnt change

kswiston

This week is a good example of why talks of new hardware baselines after a small bump for a platform that is continuing to have a sparse software lineup is almost always premature.

What is out for Wii U in the next few weeks? Anything to keep it from going back down into the 5k range? What about Vita? That >10k margin isn't looking too great at this point.

Scum

He should stop hosting the Nintendo Directs first. Not sure if he really thinks he is some kind of Steve Jobs.

Nothing wrong with that. Those Directs probably don't take that much of a time to do. Like I've said many times, the best thing for him to do is to replace his board. Nintendo needs to be run globally, not from NCL HQ only.

Nibel

There's a very real chance that Nintendo may be cancelling Bayonetta 2 if TW101's sales are this bad worldwide.

Nah, disagree - Bayonetta has way more sales potential than TW101 ever had; plus they are deep enough in development and it would draw a bad picture of them

Not happening at all

Top Bottom