• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2012 (Aug 27 - Sep 02)

clemenx

Banned
Fossil Fighters is an excellent Pokemon clone and yet no one knows what it is. Brand recognition at that level can't be replicated.

Right well licensing can be tricky, theres a possibility that the license holders are just not going to accept below a certain value, no matter the 'platform' or medium. Meanwhile for these games to sell there has to be a full Miku experience.

I wouldn't say a 3D one is impossible though.

For Vita it might come down to legs, but from that comment about 'trend' it sounds like Miku might have been a day one sale, didn't pre-orders disappear after a massive first batch?

zroid

Banned
Fossil Fighters is an excellent Pokemon clone and yet no one knows what it is. Brand recognition at that level can't be replicated.

I only know of it because the 8-4 guys were talking about their localization of the sequel on the podcast :(

I should get Champions at some point.

I did and I don't see the point of mentioning MH.

Monster Hunter was a franchise that started on consoles and exploded on handhelds. The quoted poster was wondering if that sort of thing happened in Japan, because it doesn't really happen in the west.

Miles X

You can tell the types that don't like Vita, so eager to point out sales will tank again very soon!

Should pass the 1m milestone soon!

Too little types of monsters, most are color swipes. Too easy and a bit too short. Nice graphic and Cg. I like the game but it does not have enough charm for me. it totally feels like a Nintendo game /magic which i like. 7/10.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
You can tell the types that don't like Vita, so eager to point out sales will tank again very soon!

Or they are the types who follow sales and know how these things go.

squall23

It's funny that people bring up the licensing costs for a Miku game, but have you guys thought about the licensing cost for a Super Robot Wars game. Banpresto makes games that sell high, average and low and they still keep on chugging as the modern day kings of 2D sprites and SRPGs.

Granted most SRWs probably don't cost as much to make as this Miku game supposedly did, but if they can pay for licensing of various anime every single time outside of OG, Miku's primary licensing shouldn't be an issue I think.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

I know right!?!

Only six months after that it might challenge the legendary Xbox 360 in sales!

duckroll

It's funny that people bring up the licensing costs for a Miku game, but have you guys thought about the licensing cost for a Super Robot Wars game. Banpresto makes games that sell high, average and low and they still keep on chugging as the modern day kings of 2D sprites and SRPGs.

Granted most SRWs probably don't cost as much to make as this Miku game supposedly did, but if they can pay for licensing of various anime every single time outside of OG, Miku's primary licensing shouldn't be an issue I think.

Actually they don't really pay that much licensing in Japan unless they have the occasion huge non-Bandai property in the game, like Evangelion. Usually 80% of the anime used in SRW games are owned by Bandai, not just OGs. Oh the other hand, Sega doesn't own Miku at all. Yamaha does.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Do you really think the costs of developing for Vita are so different for a rhythm game?

Just because it´s for Vita is doesn't make it more expensive. 3DS have really expensive games too (I'm going to bet that Theatrhythm is more expensive than Diva).

Aren't they reusing stuff from the arcade? Honest question, I have no idea.
The visuals in the arcade game are notably better, so I would say this stuff is unique.

Miku games contain a lot of high quality assets across a tileset variety I would argue is a vastly larger than most games. Of course, you're making much smaller levels, but I could see how they wrack up a lot of costs doing this (relative to other games that sell 200-250K LTD).

It's not exactly competing with Ground Zeroes here, but comparing it to something like Harvest Moon shows a tremendous difference.

Andriasang: Miku download sales were about 10% of retail sales. And supposedly the dev costs were so high there might not be a sequel lol?

That is just poor planning. These sales should've exceeded expectations, imo.

No. It was around 45k then Dragon Quest bumped it to 100k then 60k for a few weeks. Then 3DS XL brought it down to 45k (over time though, no crash as Alrus says)

The 3DS has not been posting 65k consistently week in week out. It rises and falls, it rose to 60k originally, it wasn't the baseline.
Just to clear up confusion since this seems to be an on going debate here is 3DS' performance for the year so far:
-3DS XL anouncement-
3DS average pre-3DS XL anouncement: 82.818
3DS average pre-3DS XL release: 83.679
3DS average post-3DS XL release(so far): 89.464

The 3DS had been average around 65K for 4 weeks before the 3DS XL anouncement took effect. Those 2 weeks where it was around 45 K was post-Golden Week where all hardware had experienced a significant slump.
04./01. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.07.28} (¥4.800) - 56.061 / 1.037.205 (-18%)
This title will probably have crazy legs but atm the fact that it's going to be crawling to 2 million doesn't bode well for NSMBU or the NSMB franchise.
10./04. [WII] Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku Online # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2012.08.02} (¥6.980) - 16.360 / 526.735 (-27%)
Perhaps it's just me but these legs seem long for a DQ game(ignoring DQ9) especially for it being an MMO with a Wii U port releasing in the upcoming future.

Monster Hunter was a franchise that started on consoles and exploded on handhelds. The quoted poster was wondering if that sort of thing happened in Japan, because it doesn't really happen in the west.
Animal Crossing is another example of this. 500k GC to 5m DS to 1m Wii.

test_account

XP-39C²
Or they are the types who follow sales and know how these things go.
I think he has a point though. I wont single anyone out, but to me it feels that some are very quick to comment on the negative stuff if something positive happends. Doesnt go just for Vita, but things in general.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think he has a point though. I wont single anyone out, but some are very quick to comment on the negative stuff if something positive happends. Doesnt go just for Vita, but things in general.

Yes, I am sure there are those. But if the points they are making are valid, its not really a strong response to just play the biased fanboy card.

I think you're reading to much into it. If you look at other Vita releases, the hardware bumps don't usually last more than one week at a time.

Mr Swine

Banned
Would a mainline Project Diva game sell as well on the 3DS as on Vita? Also does this mean that it's now fully exclusive for Vita?

Takao

Banned
I was expect 20k from Bomba Age. Great showing Scamco! lol

Strong debut for Miku. As expected, it won't catch the PSP iterations but I think SEGA's pleased none the less (Edit: Maybe not? Why in the world would someone associated to the project say that? lol) . They might just continue with the Mirai series on 3DS, and the regular Project Diva on Vita/PS3 and maybe Wii U.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yes, I am sure there are those. But if the points they are making are valid, its not really a strong response to just play the biased fanboy card.
I agree with that. I still think it is a bit pity to see the bigger focus on the negative when something positive happends (not just about Vita, but generally speaking).

Yup, and also the highest selling console MMORPG by far.

The far more relevant number right now is number of subscribers.

Isn't it free to play for 30 days? However long it is I have to wonder if it'll hold gamer's attention long enough to get to the subscription period.

Acosta

The visuals in the arcade game are notably better, so I would say this stuff is unique.

Miku games contain a lot of high quality assets across a tileset variety I would argue is a vastly larger than most games. Of course, you're making much smaller levels, but I could see how they wrack up a lot of costs doing this (relative to other games that sell 200-250K LTD).

It may had been a too adventurous thing to say. I apologise to everybody. Just wanted to support the idea that a 3DS version wouldn't be that cheaper compared with a Vita version but I guess I was not really fortunate on it.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
0 people will buy it on the PSP, because it is only available on the Vita.

I was under the impression it was another PSP/Vita dual release. I was wrong on that but the question remains. How many are these "some" that will buy it on Vita? 10. 50, 100k?

The 3DS had been average around 65K for 4 weeks before the 3DS XL anouncement took effect. Those 2 weeks where it was around 45 K was post-Golden Week where all hardware had experienced a significant slump.

Right, thanks for putting out that list. Not sure why 45k stuck in my head so much. Oh well.

Takao

Banned
I was under the impression it was another PSP/Vita dual release. I was wrong on that but the question remains. How many are these "some" that will buy it on Vita? 10. 50, 100k?

I think with EDF3P it's likely that it could be a game that hungry Vita owners who want to play together will buy more so than a Vita seller. I don't think it'll top EDF2P simply because the userbase is so different between the two, but I think 50-75K LTD is possible.

It may had been a too adventurous thing to say. I apologise to everybody. Just wanted to support the idea that a 3DS version wouldn't be that cheaper compared with a Vita version but I guess I was not really fortunate on it.
You were right in a way, given Miku's major costs (ie: licensing) are somewhat fixed. Of course the example you tried to use (ie: Theatrhythm being a higher cost production) logically runs counter to that. :p

That said, asset creation can be a cost driver too, and while licensing probably wouldn't change much, a 3DS Diva could recycle a lot of assets from the PSP games as is. Potentially a 3DS Diva could be cheaper to churn out than Mirai was even, depending on how much content gets packed in.

Actually now that screen size isn't an issue (XL) I wonder if Diva 3D is a possibility?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Well, I'm not wholly opposed to that proposition. I was much more opposed to the proposal that Theatrhythm would approach Miku's asset costs.

I mean if they sink Resident Evil: Revelations levels of efforts into the art assets and core technology, I would totally believe they could wrack up a lot of costs.

However, since Miku isn't exactly a super high end Vita game, I was assuming they would just retrograde to something closer to the PSP games.

On that note, does Sega have any really technically impressive 3DS games announced or released? I'm kind of blanking.

Takao

Banned
That said, asset creation can be a cost driver too, and while licensing probably wouldn't change much, a 3DS Diva could recycle a lot of assets from the PSP games as is. Potentially a 3DS Diva could be cheaper to churn out than Mirai was even, depending on how much content gets packed in.

It's not like that isn't possible with the Vita games either. We already know SEGA has a PS3 Miku port on the way, which is why I said SEGA may share costs between games on Vita, PS3, and Wii U.

squall23

Is Project Diva basically just an Elite Beat Agents type game?
It is and it isn't. Take Ouendan's gameplay but instead of tapping the circle, you wait for 1 of 4 symbols symbol to fill the spot (O, X, triangle, square) and you press the correct button at the correct time. But just like Ouendan, the notes appear anywhere in the screen.

It's not like that isn't possible with the Vita games either. We already know SEGA has a PS3 Miku port on the way, which is why I said SEGA may share costs between games on Vita, PS3, and Wii U.
PS3 and Wii U might be better served using the AC/Ringedge assets though, which might be beyond Vita's league given it evidently uses ground up stuff instead. Don't the Dreamy Theatre releases on PS3 share those already?

Takao

Banned
If (huge if here) FFX HD exists, I totally expect SCE to get Square to make that a Vita timed exclusive. Might work in Square Enix's benefit rather than launching 2 SKUs that will compete against each other at the same time.

PS3 and Wii U might be better served using the AC/Ringedge assets though, which might be beyond Vita's league given it evidently uses ground up stuff instead. Don't the Dreamy Theatre releases on PS3 share those already?

If SEGA felt that the Arcade models would better serve the purpose of bringing Miku home, why haven't they create a Miku game for a home console (the Dreamy Theatre things are more like bonuses and not a game) until the prospects of a port from Vita arose? Haha. They may indeed want to reuse the arcade stuff in the future, but unless they're completely redoing Project Diva f for PS3 it seems they're not against reusing Vita stuff either.

Top Bottom