• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2014 (Aug 25 - Aug 31)

RalchAC

Why are you counting the 3ds + 3ds Seperately? They're just different sized versions of the exact same thing and now there's 2 different sized versions of the new 3ds

Because they were released at different dates and the differences are worth doubledipping for many people, I'd say. In the New 3DS case, both models are releasing at the same time so you shouldn't expect that same pattern.

I think the comparision is perfectly fine.

I don't think New3DS standard + LL are going to sell 10 million units combined, though. 3DS sales are already declining and I don't think the upgrades are as important as Color/Wi-Fi were for the Gameboy or the DS.

I also excluded Neo Romance as I couldn't really find out anything about it (besides being an otome title) whereas Uta no Prince-sama seemed more straightforawrd.

The Neo-Romance announcement, from what I could tell, wasn't really an announcement of a new game, but rather simply an announcement that the label/franchise/brand is migrating over to Vita.

Neo-Romance is the otome-game brand/label of Tecmo-Koei that covers a range of IPs/franchises, such as:

- La Corda' D'Oro
- Angelique
- Hanakanaru Toki no Naka De
- Love Summit
- Flower of the World

Each franchise has its own setting (La Corda is Musical School), (Harukaranu is Ancient Japan meets fantasy ), and each franchise has multiple releases/games within that particular setting/universe.

The Neoromance brand has been around for a long time, with games in many platforms from PS1, PS2, DS, and it appears that it's found its home on the PSP, where it's apparently the best platform for such games to date. A lot of otome games release exclusively on PSP, etc.

This announcement doesn't seem to be for any game, but rather a commitment/promise that they'll migrate future Neo-Romance games (Harukanaru 6, new La Corda, Angelique, new Neoromance IP or whatever ) onto Vita instead of keeping it on the PSP as they're currently doing.

And since Uta no Prince is moving over to Vita anyway, might as well follow suit since Uta no Prince-sama is pretty much the Monster Hunter of otome games.

Foshy

Why are you counting the 3ds + 3ds Seperately? They're just different sized versions of the exact same thing and now there's 2 different sized versions of the new 3ds

They're different SKUs, just like the nu3DS will be? Dunno, I don't think the market will see it as a completely new console.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The Neo-Romance announcement, from what I could tell, wasn't really an announcement of a new game, but rather simply an announcement that the label/franchise/brand is migrating over to Vita.

Neo-Romance is the otome-game brand/label of Tecmo-Koei that covers a range of IPs/franchises, such as:

- La Corda' D'Oro
- Angelique
- Hanakanaru Toki no Naka De
- Love Summit
- Flower of the World

Each franchise has its own setting (La Corda is Musical School), (Harukaranu is Ancient Japan meets fantasy ), and each franchise has multiple releases/games within that particular setting/universe.

The Neoromance brand has been around for a long time, with games in many platforms from PS1, PS2, DS, and it appears that it's found its home on the PSP, where it's apparently the best platform for such games to date. A lot of otome games release exclusively on PSP, etc.

This announcement doesn't seem to be for any game, but rather a commitment/promise that they'll migrate future Neo-Romance games (Harukanaru 6, new La Corda, Angelique, new Neoromance IP or whatever ) onto Vita instead of keeping it on the PSP as they're currently doing.

And since Uta no Prince is moving over to Vita anyway, might as well follow suit since Uta no Prince-sama is pretty much the Monster Hunter of otome games.

Ah I see. Thank you. I think I'll pare this list down a bit then.

I'm going to remove Touhou until they announce a specific game, Neoromance will stay off until the same, and I'll remove Deemo because I noticed that Rayark is a Taiwanese dev, at least according to Wikipedia.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ah I see. Thank you. I think I'll pare this list down a bit then.

I'm going to remove Touhou until they announce a specific game, Neoromance will stay off until the same, and I'll remove Deemo because I noticed that Rayark is a Taiwanese dev, at least according to Wikipedia.

Since you're correcting things on the list, Derby Stallion Gold is retail, not an eShop exclusive.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Since you're correcting things on the list, Derby Stallion Gold is retail, not an eShop exclusive.

Thanks, didn't realize. It will be a tad before these changes go through as I'm still at work.

If anyone sees anything else wrong, feel free to mention.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
http://www.itmedia.co.jp/news/articles/1409/05/news159.html

Square Enix has officially responded to some of the complaints about Dragon Quest X on 3DS. The feedback about the font making kanji unreadable is the main one they seem to be tackling seriously. They say they've taken the feedback into account and will try to increase readability as much as possible. There are also complaints of login problems, which seems to be a congestion issue. It might sort itself out, but they're looking into it as well and will try to improve the service.

The issue about the game having input lag and skipping sound is something that they probably won't address, since it's inherent in the cloud nature of the game. They simply state that if the network conditions are not ideal, these things can happen. They recommend not downloading huge files or streaming other videos on the same network while playing the game. Lol.

But the thing I don't get is whether the streaming is just crappy on "bad" internet connections or just in general. If it's just crappy in general, then it would seem Square Enix had screwed up imo.

Also apparently that Fujiko game has got a release date

Fujiko · F · Characters Funiyu large set! SF Slapstick Party! coming to Wii U/Nintendo 3DS in Japan - 11/20.

Omega Force is working on like 500 different Musou games at once, a PS4 port is probably something they'd do in their sleep.

Never seems to be the case with the Wii U though =(. Apart from Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, the Wii U only got Hyrule Warriors right? I understand that it sells on the PS3, so they expect it to sell on the PS4, but I never feel like they give the Wii U versions a chance (clearly it sold better on PS3 than Wii though).

Foshy

sörine;128611367 said:
Using this logic there are 4+ versions of PS3.

We were talking about the possibility of nu3DS alone outselling PS3 LTD in Japan, which seems unlikely to me given that the 2 existing versions didn't even do that yet

small44

first day sellthrough {2014.09.04}

[3DS] Gaist Crusher: God - 15%
[3DS] Dragon Quest X Online - 80%
[PS4] Samurai Warriors 4 - 30-40%
[XB1] Hardware
t02200114_0580030113052960899.jpg

Where is xb1 hardware first day sellthrough ?

Darius

Banned
We were talking about the possibility of nu3DS alone outselling PS3 LTD in Japan, which seems unlikely to me given that the 2 existing versions didn't even do that yet

What´s the point? This would be the equivalent to splitting PS3s hardware sales into PS3 fat, PS3 slim and PS3 superslim.

sörine

Banned
Oh, I was only speaking to counting 3DS and 3DS XL separately. Sorry, maybe I quoted the wrong person?

Darius

Banned
Well I didn't bring it up myself, all I said is that it's unlikely

I´m talking about your 3DS and 3DSXL split specifically. Anyway when talking about userbase you make a game for it is useless to differentiate between a 3DS and 3DS with a slightly bigger screen, that´s the first time I see such a thing in this context and looks more like a deviation than a genuine argument.

About new3DS and PS3 userbase. I think it is a safe bet to say that new 3DSs lifetime sales in Japan will be close enough considering the likely very short lifecycle but this is very dependent on the actual announcement and release of Nintendos next gen system, if it launches too early it´s obvious that it will negatively affect the comparison. Also about viability, PS3 is already in its last legs and by then the actual relevant active userbase will look worse anywway.

Busaiku

Yeah, it's gonna be impossible for New 3DS to outsell PS3, unless it really takes off.
It has a shot of outdoing Vita and PS4 though.

To sell 10 million units by 2017 means the n3DS/XL will have to sell almost exactly what 3DS/XL sold between 2011-2012. I can't see that being anything short of impossible.

test_account

XP-39C²
Also about the medium or the way Frontier and DQX are sold. I don´t see any reason to hide behind "digital-sales", in fact I think DQX actually has a slight disadvantage since its retail release isn´t exactly a physical release besides the package.
Hes just referring to that DQX for 3DS wont have any "dark numbers" because its only available at retail. What Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki shows, that accounts for 100% of the sales. Games that also have digital sales, there we are in the dark until we get some extra info on 100% of the sales.

sörine;128636099 said:
Oh, I was only speaking to counting 3DS and 3DS XL separately. Sorry, maybe I quoted the wrong person?
He was probably just referring to what a new version would do. The New 3DS is a more advance upgrade compared to the 3DS XL though, but both are/were new models. It would be fair to compare the four PS3 models to eachother too if i'd say if you wanted to see which revision/model that sold the most.

Darius

Banned
Hes just referring to that DQX for 3DS wont have any "dark numbers" because its only available at retail. What Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki shows, that accounts for 100% of the sales. Games that also have digital sales, there we are in the dark until we get some extra info on 100% of the sales.

About what dark numbers are you talking about? Famitsu releases digital numbers every month. If they aren´t listed they simply aren´t noteworthy.

He was probably just referring to what a new version would do. The New 3DS is a more advance upgrade compared to the 3DS XL though, but both are/were new models. It would be fair to compare the four PS3 models to eachother too if i'd say if you wanted to see which revision/model that sold the most.

The comparison was nonsense since the post he answered to was talking about viability of PS3 compared to new3DS (exclusives). Simple form factors are irrelevant in this case.

Takao

Banned
About what dark numbers are you talking about? Famitsu releases digital numbers every month. If they aren´t listed they simply aren´t noteworthy.

Capcom released "Monster Hunter Frontier G: Beginner's Package" at retail. That product does not exist on PSN. As I said earlier, MHFG's client is free to download on PS3 and Vita. Famitsu has yet to track free downloads on their monthly chart. As it is only available through a retail release, everyone playing DQX on 3DS will be represented through the sales reports. That's not the case for MHFG.

I don't think anyone expected MHFG on Vita to outsell DQX on 3DS. It seems to be the less popular game on a considerably less popular platform. Personally, I didn't think MHFG on Vita could even hit 5 digits after the Wii U release of the game. A very late port of a subscription MMO on a handheld is not something I thought anyone would want.

You are actually pointing out another similarity between both titles. DQX is also a game that goes against to what actually made Dragon Quest successful, in fact it is the first DQ game on consoles that actually only work online.

Sure, Dragon Quest X does go against what made Dragon Quest successful. I never implied otherwise. No one is expecting Dragon Quest X to sell millions on any platform. I'm arguing against your bizarre attempt to link the success of Monster Hunter on handhelds to how Frontier should perform on a handheld. Here's the part of the conversation I disagree with:

It´s interesting that next week we actually have a somewhat comparable game to MH PSV with DQX 3DS. Both games are the x-th port of an online-subscribtion game based on very popular million selling IPs.

I understand the comparison, but Frontier Online (and G) sold like crap on every system they've released on. Dragon Quest X sold very well on Wii (and WiiU to an extent).

Monster Hunter can be called a handheld franchise, their big successes were on handhelds anyway.

You're saying that Frontier's failure on consoles should be ignored because now it's on a handheld and that's where the mothership is popular. You would kind of have a point ... if Frontier wasn't seven years old and didn't go against what made those handheld games so successful in the first place.

Also beeing honest the transition to Frontier has been actually far less jarring than DQ in fact Monster Hunter was meant for subscription based online play since its creation and in its first two releases on PS2, sure you could also play it offline but that was more of a safety net than anything else, very similar to the first Phantasy Star Online games on DC and GC.

Yeah, Monster Hunter did have a subscription fee on PS2 and Wii. Unless you're Ben Heck, those were home consoles. If Capcom launched Monster Hunter Portable with multiplayer behind a paywall, I think that property would still be hanging out with the likes of Auto Modellista and Resident Evil: Outbreak.

Also about the medium or the way Frontier and DQX are sold. I don´t see any reason to hide behind "digital-sales", in fact I think DQX actually has a slight disadvantage since its retail release isn´t exactly a physical release besides the package.

As a consumer, I agree. I can at least sell MHFG's cartridge, though I'm not sure how much value that would hold.

That doesn't change the fact that you have one way to play DQX on 3DS.

donny2112

If Nintendo can sell 10m n3DS+n3DSLL in Japan, we'd be looking at another DS sized phenomenon. That seems unlikely.

hiska-kun

I read somewhere an upgrade version of Attack on Titan is coming for the 3DS. For users that have the first game will be a DLC, but they will release a complete version this december.
A la Fantasy Life: Link! and Bravely Default for the Sequel.

Imouto

Banned
Genuine hype > manufactured hype every time. This is why I believe Smash Bros 3DS will outsell Destiny for the month.

Does anyone actually believe Destiny will outsell Smash Bros in Japan? Honest question.

Now if you're talking about worldwide, which is unlikely, that's delusional.

antibolo

Banned
Sony seems to be betting high on Destiny to sell PS4s in Japan, will it actually work? It doesn't strike me as a game that would be compatible with Japanese interests. But I guess they're pretty desperate right now.

cafemomo

Sony seems to be betting high on Destiny to sell PS4s in Japan, will it actually work? It doesn't strike me as a game that would be compatible with Japanese interests. But I guess they're pretty desperate right now.

shooters do decent numbers in Japan.
It will sell, but it won't light the market on fire.

extralite

New 3DS might be able to run a port of DQX which should alleviate some of those issues. Unless it has a better Wifi chip, I'm not sure how the current implementation (which is a streaming solution like PSNow) of the game would improve.

In the direct they showed that downloads from the eShop are faster on the New 3DS. The net connection should in in fact be more robust on it and will benefit existing titles using online play.

DQX 3DS is getting destroyed on Amazon Japan reviews. Average now is 1.5 stars (67 reviews). Major complaints include ridiculous input lag, music/sound effects cutting out randomly, and poor text visibility.

Many of the harshest complaints are from people who played the Wii or Wii U versions. I do not see this one having any legs.
At the same time none of the reviews say it's a bad game, just that the 3DS version is inferior to other versions. So you can also read them as recommendations for those.

One of the problems with adoption of new hardware in Japan is that a lot of people think their old one (PS3, Wii, 3DS) is still sufficient. They're waiting for it to break so they have a reason to upgrade.

What the 3DS DQX version painstakenly shows is that old hardware isn't always sufficient. For DQX you get much better experiences on Wii U and PC than on 3DS and Wii.

test_account

XP-39C²
Sure, i know, that is why i said "until we get some extra info" =) Famitsu doesnt track games that are free, from what i know. Maybe some of the numbers are small indeed, but if we dont know about it, we dont know exactly how much it sold. Those are the dark numbers i was referring to, if we get no extra info on the total number of downloads/sales. If a product only exist at retail, its easier to know how much it sold.

The comparison was nonsense since the post he answered to was talking about viability of PS3 compared to new3DS (exclusives). Simple form factors are irrelevant in this case.
Well, i'm sure that he was just referring to the selling power of new models, and that is where the comparison came in, which makes sense to me personally. The 3DS XL brought bigger screens by the way, so its not just about form factor (when i think of form factor, i'm mostly thinking about the design aesthetics at least). But i agree that the sales potential for the New 3DS is much bigger compared to the 3DS XL.

Jigorath

Banned
The 3DS is stagnating and experiencing harsh drops from last year. No way is a slight power upgrade and a niche JRPG going to sell 10m+ HW. Heavy hitter 3DS games like Pokemon OR/AS and Smash will all be on the old 3DS giving the mass market less reason to upgrade. DQXI will most likely be on the 3DS but I'm sure it will be on all versions of the system.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
http://www.konami.jp/we/2015/

Winning Eleven 15 comes out on November 13th. PS4/PS3/One.

There are no news about 3DS and / or PSP versions so far which sounds...strange after seeing how Blue Samurai sold on 3DS.

The 3DS is stagnating and experiencing harsh drops from last year. No way is a slight power upgrade and a niche JRPG going to sell 10m+ HW. Heavy hitter 3DS games like Pokemon OR/AS and Smash will all be on the old 3DS giving the mass market less reason to upgrade. DQXI will most likely be on the 3DS but I'm sure it will be on all versions of the system.

10m units is obviously unlikely, but the New 3DS is going to push 3DS sales above 20m, which would be a great result.

Bruno MB

New 3DS will stop another yearly 40-50% decline and put its total lifetime sales comfortably over 20 million units, but that's all. With this patch Nintendo is simply buying time, they aren't capable of launching the true 3DS successor by next year. The problem I see is that I'm not too sure if their strategy will work outside Japan.

Will Famitsu publish early Xbox One sales?

test_account

XP-39C²
In the direct they showed that downloads from the eShop are faster on the New 3DS. The net connection should in in fact be more robust on it and will benefit existing titles using online play.
Do we have anymore info regarding why this is? Is it faster because of being more robust/stable, or is it because it supports faster speed (higher mbits, meaning that only those with very high speed internet would benefit from it)?

Top Bottom