• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2011 (Sep 05 - Sep 11)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Mpl90 said:
No guys
You won't see announcements' effects on 3DS until the games will be advertised.
Only a minority know about them already.
And however, 50k are still VERY GOOD, especially without games.
Since 3DS will fall again, maybe 45k, it is possible that Kagura could make the pen*errg* the console stay at that level.
They are already airing Tri G ads. It's just amazon, but all 3 3DS consoles have been climbing up the charts for the last 2 days.

I would be surprised if sales wouldn't improve a bit.

hirokazu

Wow, didn't expect so many PS3 games up there. I was expecting basically Tales.

So... did PS3 get to 7m first, or did 360 get to 1.5m first? :p

Ps2 > 360 again.
I thought I told you that we won't stop. I thought I told you that we won't stop.
I thought I told you that we won't stop. I thought I told you that we won't stop.

Half a million PS3 owners just waited for an original Tales. Great to see the series is on firm ground for now, even though I think a proper PSP game would've done the trick, too.

Road

Poor formatting. Famitsu data. Does not include "best" sales in LTD.

First wee / LTD ratio.

77% / 212649 / 275202 - [PSP] Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3
71% / 151138 / 212408 - [WII] Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
70% / 242003 / 343332 - [PS2] Tales of Legendia
70% / 68218 / 97822 - [3DS] Tales of the Abyss
70% / 256288 / 367998 - [PS2] Tales of Destiny
68% / 97476 / 142301 - [PS2] Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut
68% / 269073 / 394312 - [PS2] Tales of Symphonia
67% / 143309 / 212769 - [WII] Tales of Graces
67% / 219921 / 330524 - [PS3] Tales of Graces F
66% / 368316 / 556465 - [PS2] Tales of the Abyss
66% / 210297 / 317730 - [PSP] Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2
65% / 498142 / 762861 - [PS2] Tales of Destiny 2
64% / 153366 / 238200 - [PSP] Tales of Vs.
63% / 114199 / 180650 - [PSP] Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X
62% / 372767 / 596493 - [PS2] Tales of Rebirth
60% / 67535 / 113414 - [GBA] Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3
58% / 227506 / 390523 - [PS3] Tales of Vesperia
58% / 65417 / 112367 - [PSP] Tales of Phantasia: Full Voice Edition
58% / 51611 / 88948 - [PS1] Tales of Fandom Vol. 1
57% / 384790 / 669248 - [PS1] Tales of Eternia
57% / 65503 / 114757 - [PSP] Tales of Destiny 2
57% / 183527 / 322779 - [GCN] Tales of Symphonia
54% / 450099 / 829618 - [PS1] Tales of Destiny
54% / 141610 / 261751 - [NDS] Tales of Hearts: Anime Movie / CG Movie Edition
54% / 44888 / 83016 - [PSP] Tales of Rebirth
53% / 45354 / 86337 - [PS2] Tales of Fandom Vol. 2: Luke / Tia
50% / 101272 / 204305 - [360] Tales of Vesperia
49% / 267543 / 550394 - [PS1] Tales of Phantasia
46% / 86587 / 186413 - [GBA] Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2
45% / 97156 / 214128 - [PSP] Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology
43% / 106733 / 246420 - [NDS] Tales of Innocence
42% / 64242 / 154602 - [NGB] Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon
41% / 55970 / 135663 - [GBA] Tales of Phantasia
41% / 83298 / 205541 - [NDS] Tales of the Tempest
39% / 74630 / 193541 - [PSP] Tales of Eternia
37% / 84373 / 228738 - [SFC] Tales of Phantasia***
28% / 14828 / 52102 - [GBA] Tales of the World: Summoner's Lineage

Basch

hirokazu said:
Wow, didn't expect so many PS3 games up there. I was expecting basically Tales.

So... did PS3 get to 7m first, or did 360 get to 1.5m first? :p

We'll never know. lol

I'm hoping Xillia will serve as a sign that PS3 owners accept JRPGs wholeheartedly. PS3 would be unstoppable with the support of the JRPG. Did the PS2 ever need to fight this hard for Japan's approval in the first five years?

hirokazu

Labadal said:
Hats made of money? :p
Or they could secretly buy back all the consoles on store shelves then sell it back to the shops. Sure you'll lose money every time, but you can get infinite sales if you have infinite money to keep doing it over and over!

Coxy said:
wow @ the awful numbers for the sentai musou thing, why so poor?

It's not really a musou game, much as I'd love it to be. It's also very easy and simple. having said that, it's clearly aimed at kids and would have imagined there would have been more sold as parents buy for them etc.

ULTROS! said:
I'm curious if ToX will reach a million by the end of September (or October).
Tales is a pretty front-loaded series. 800K, maybe.
the+Abyss

EXGN

Wow, crazy TOX sales numbers. Makes me wonder if Bamco/Square regret pushing for the Xbox 360 so hard at the beginning of the generation, given the kinda numbers these big-name RPGs are doing on PS3.

Cipherr

Luckyman said:
Heh, Microsoft has probably some work to do in convincing Namco next gen..

If Namco is even considering being open to discussion on where their first Tales game should land come next gen, then they are idiots. I think this paints a pretty good picture of where they should hedge their bets.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Tales is a pretty front-loaded series. 800K, maybe.
the+Abyss

Damn, so noone thinks this one might buck the trend? Highest debut ever? It was under shipped for Christs sake. Tales..... I guess we will see.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RE: ToX million seller; maybe, but no first-run Tales game has ever made it to 2x opening week sales.

There's actually one exception, but it's Tales of the Tempest and it made it there because the opening week sales were <50% of the original shipment and a shitty 80k--and the game crawled to 200k on the back of bomba bin price collapse sales over a long period of time.

Edit: Oh poop, Josh already did it visually.

Cipherr said:
Damn, so noone thinks this one might buck the trend? Highest debut ever? It was under shipped for Christs sake. Tales..... I guess we will see.
If it does happen, I will, of course be pleased! But I don't know if the first week numbers necessarily suggest much bigger legs than the series is known for. We'll see.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
860k is my highest guess, considering it could have longer legs due to initial undershipment and the fact that it did 526k on 600k of first week shipment IIRC

beril

Cipherr said:

Isn't it quite rare for a game to have both a higher debut and greater legs than their predecessors? It might still break sales records but I doubt it'll have vastly better legs. Or was it really that severely the under shipped?

beril said:
Isn't it quite rare for a game to have both a higher debut and greater legs than their predecessors? It might still break sales records but I doubt it'll have vastly better legs. Or was it really that severely the under shipped?

Yes. Bigger first week means worse legs, not better, especially since PS3 still doesn't have the largest userbase, AND it's not the first Tales game on the PS3. Also the later in the generation the worse legs tend to be (unless it's a series on the up which is possible but Tales has always had a pretty consistent userbase).

Wow that is shocking and amazing. I can only imagine how much money they will make off of the 500K people buying the DLC. Excellent support of cross franchises. The Tales future is bright indeed.

Great tales numbers as well as PS3 wasn't expecting that.
Mpl90 said:
No guys
You won't see announcements' effects on 3DS until the games will be advertised.
Only a minority know about them already.
And however, 50k are still VERY GOOD, especially without games.
Since 3DS will fall again, maybe 45k, it is possible that Kagura could make the pen*errg* the console stay at that level.
I don't believe we will see much difference in 3ds sales until the games released. However in terms of advertising they've already started releasing commercials advertising that monster hunter 3G coming to the 3ds.

fernoca

Though I admit been a little surprised at the YTD of the 3DS been the highest. With all the doom, price reduction, "no games" thought it was going to be lower than PSPs; around PS3 if anything.

Lesiroth

The_lascar said:
Highest launch for a Tales game since the PS1? I'm surprised.
Assuming it gets to 700k in Japan once all is said and done, could US+EU get it to 1m? I'd guess not, but it'd be a huge milestone for the series.

Go_Ly_Dow

Xilia sales are crazy. Would be nice to see another PS3 million seller so I hope it has legs.

Is it actually possible that Resistance 3 has sold more in Japan then the UK? I don't think it even charted in the top 20 UK charts....

Labadal

M_Night said:
Xilia sales are crazy. Would be nice to see another PS3 million seller so I hope it has legs.

Is it actually possible that Resistance 3 has sold more in Japan then the UK? I don't think it even charted in the top 20 UK charts....

It charted at #2 in the UK.

Jeels

I said wow. Namco should definitely focus on Tales being on the PS3. (Should have been that way from the start).

Go_Ly_Dow

Labadal said:
It charted at #2 in the UK.

My bad, I must have looked at the wrong week.

I saw it missing from the charts and another post saying it didn't chart so I assumed it bombed.

BurntPork

Banned
Holy shit @ PS3. I did not think it would almost double. But with insane sales like that, I guess it's no wonder. Vita's getting a Tales game, right? Maybe it can compete with 3DS after all...

And why won't 3DS stabilize? :/ I'm getting worried that the 20-30k naysayers are right after all. I guess it'll be in hibernation until November.

I was crossing my fingers for 500K+ .... and it happened!!!

Wow.... so fantastic :eek:

First week numbers for TOX are already way ahead of TOV and TOG LTD numbers on 360 and Wii... I bet Namco is now regretting for not bringing mother ship Tales game on the PS3 before... stupid stupid Namco -_-"

PS3 owners are so hungry for good JRPGs on their system... I hope this encourage another developers to make more JRPG now.

For next week maybe it it will do around 120K+.... I will hope for more.

500K first week.... I bet even Namco are feelings ENTHUSIASM now about trying with the West :D

BurntPork said:
Holy shit @ PS3. I did not think it would almost double.

And why won't 3DS stabilize? :/ I'm getting worried that the 20-30k naysayers are right after all. I guess it'll be in hibernation until November.

Why would it stabilize if the games that push systems aren't out there? People aren't going to keep buying the 3DS just because it's cheap.

wrowa

BurntPork said:
Holy shit @ PS3. I did not think it would almost double. But with insane sales like that, I guess it's no wonder. Vita's getting a Tales game, right? Maybe it can compete with 3DS after all...

With the exception of the PS3 everything went down this week...

BurntPork said:

Well the numbers are falling at a smaller degree each week, which means while it's not stabilizing eventually the drop would be inconsequential - it's just because there is little software still, but 3DS has a massive holiday lineup so the numbers will rise by a lot

Ydahs

Tales :D

Glad to see such a great series hit its highest opening week yet. Hopefully it'll be localised.

And Zelda just keeps on selling. 500k in sight.

dragonfart28 said:
3DS dropped another 5000.

That's.. not bad?
I think it's good, considering there are no new games being released. Doubt it can stabilise here with no major titles coming out for a while (I think). I think 35k-45k will be where it stabilises.

Regardless, I think it's not too much of a worry. Once November hits, it's going to explode.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
BurntPork said:

Because 50k are VERY BAD, yeah.
However, at least they're "saved" for October due to the Pink color.
And Kagura... it could sustain the hardware for a week!

Hell, maybe with all the announcements from TGS, more people will start buying a 3DS to be prepared for a likely sell out? I highly doubt that the 3DS is going to stay in stock with Mario Kart, Mario 3D Land, and MH coming out so close together.

Dolgan

Wow, awesome sales for Tales of Xillia. It seems like Namco Bandai finally found a new (old) home for the series.

I don't think it's impossible for Tales to get similar sales on other platforms, but Namco should stick to the PS3 for now and carefully consider their future plans for the franchise.

So, does anyone know why the game sold so well? High-quality rpg on an rpg-starved platform with an audience which seems to be inclined to buy "these kind" of games? Will we see more rpgs for the platform? Is Tales a special circumstance?

I'm really looking forward to the TGS. :)

m.i.s.

Banned
| DSiLL | 2.882 | 3.177 | 19.076 | 297.409 | 857.360 | 2.244.992 |
| DSi | 1.957 | 2.453 | 16.345 | 258.178 | 618.777 | 5.801.902 |
| DSL | 51 | 80 | 4.328 | 20.048 | 161.210 | 18.093.970 |

Well, looks like DS weekly sales have finally collapsed with a record 32.726.335 LTD (and counting) achieved in record time.

Not bad for a 3rd pillar eh? ("if even 10% of our audience like this" etc)

Top Bottom