• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men of Valor MP demo

Kinda sucks. I wanted it to be fun, and at first thought it would be as I'm a big fan of Battlefield Viietnam. The graphics are sort of cartoony. They look better then Battlefield in some ways, but not as good in others. Player models look less detailed, but buildings and settings in general seem to have more detail. I liked the red of the fire, but the green of the jungle seemed somewhat drab. Unfortunately, I did notice is the jungle maps take a major hit performance wise.

I'm running an athlon 3800, 6800 GT, and a gig of ram. I was averaging 25 fps on the jungle map at 1280 res, and around 35 fps on 1024X768. That's just shitty performance, even with the slightly better graphics over BFV. Keep in Mind I average around 59 fps on 1600X1200 in the doom flyby demo...no game gives me anywhere near this bad performance.

Maps also seemed small. I mean small. The jungle level in particular seemed like a tiny corner of a BFV map.

Gameplay seems sub par. Most of the guns have very little kick, so firing in short bursts and crocuhing/prone really wasn't a factor. This is very different from heavy machine guns in BFV where you MUST get a set position and short burts if you want to have good fire. At one point I was running around with an M60 and mowing down everyone with no reason to stop and sit. Crouching, short burst firing, and laying prone did improve weapons performance, but not to the extent they should.

Another thing that seemed weird was that the gameplay had a weird mix of fast and slow. At times it could feel almost Quake like, the speed of your character and forgiving weapons. However, the way the guns fired felt more like a Hitman game. You can see the bullets streak in the same way...they way they fired just seemed slow.

I will say that although the jungle level gave very poor performance, I liked the way you could hide in the forest. Lots of places to stay. Same with the city level, lots of house.

Oh yeah, just booted it up and almost uninstalled it 5 minutes later. I don't think you can jump and you can't move when you get a closeup view with any gun. I'll play it again tomorrow...

Top Bottom