• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Message to Sega...your Sega Rally franchise has been dethroned! RSC2...

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Just picked up RalliSport Challenge 2 last night and yes, it fucking owns! The graphics ARE nice! The framerate is all rock-60fps-fucking-solid goodness, the scenery is gorgeous and the car models own. But I do agree with what Vagabond said(it was you right Vaggy?) about the textures...they are a bit on the blurry side and the overall image isn't quite as sharp as I thought it'd be. Before you flame me yes, I do attribute this mostly to my TV being a 6 year old rear projection widescreen CRT NON-HDTV set...though it does have a line doubler. But I still think the textures could have been a bit sharper. Does the game support progressive scan and widescreen? My set is widescreen...how do I enable them?

Wrinkled Ballsack said:
!
The control in the game is fucking perfect, PERFECT. I really am not a racing fan, but this game has me hooked good. I bought Project Gotham 2 and had fun online, but never really got far in the single player. Rallisport Challenge 2 is on another plane of existence. I'm a racing fan now!!!!!

I agree whole fucking heartedly Wrinkledl! It's great. I just completed pro with 20pts all across cross the board. The last 6 or so events were starting to get on my fucking nerves. Man...you have to be pretty darn precise with the vehicle during the night time and snow/ice races. And the hill climb tracks kick so much ass it's ridiculous! Man this game has some of the best track designs ever! But you gotta be on your toes big time and not glance at the map indicator and scenery too much at all if you wanna accomplish 1st place.

The more I play the game the more I want to buy the Mad catz wheel but I don't have anywhere to put it and I certainly don't get off on playing with it on my lap. I'm forced to wait a bit and buy a racing frame or something. I MUST play this game with a wheel! It demands it!

Bottomline...this is the true spiritial successor to Sega Rally 2. The handling and the graphics both destroy SR1 and 2. Sega...there is no need to continue the franchise. DICE has taken and rekindled the torch gracefully! This is what a rally racing game should be like and I seriously doubt Sega will be able to top this game if they release SR3. RSC2 is just the better franchise IMO.

Question...

Now that I've completed pro, have I unlocked most of the cars and tracks? Or do I still need to go through championship? Would you recommend going online now or waiting til I complete championship?

Also what's a good way to powerslide around corners? Do you guys utilize the handbrake a lot or just practice light braking? And should I adjust anything in the tuneup options?

isamu said:
Question...

Now that I've completed pro, have I unlocked most of the cars and tracks? Or do I still need to go through championship? Would you recommend going online now or waiting til I complete championship?

Also what's a good way to powerslide around corners? Do you guys utilize the handbrake a lot or just practice light braking? And should I adjust anything in the tuneup options?

I've yet to complete the whole thing -- maybe got over half-way done with the entire offline portion... Still, I guess if you want all of the tracks and cars to play with offline, you'll need to keep it up and complete it. Going online anytime is a good thing, and I don't think your experience will be held back by not completing the offline bit...playing online, though, may actually make you feel compelled to finish everything in season mode.

I only use the handbrake if the corner is incredibly tight...otherwise, I just let off on the throttle and brake a little. Forcing a drift by counter-steering can also sometimes be useful.

And yeah, RSC2 is the new Sega Rally, minus the super-kicky music bits in the first one. Bad-motherfucking-ass.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Definitely finish Champion to unlock everything (also get more skins for your car obviously).

Use the E-Brake for really extreme corners, otherwise feathering is the name of the game.
Also, since you're more or less used to the game, try manual shifting--it's fun as hell.

To enable Widescreen, go the dashboard and then Video settings.

Lukas

Banned
rallisport 2 owns

most beautiful racer ever, nothing will match it this gen unless Dice makes Rallisport 3 for Xbox

going through those autumn stages in britain racing at 150+ between 2 rows of beautiful trees and leaves falling down, and then going down the valley and you can see the whole landscape infront of you as you race down the hill at 120+ coming down at a dirt road full of those water puddles....simply amazing.

jedimike

I totally love playing online with RSC2. After the football hype dies down, we'll have to start another GAF league.

doncale

Banned
the last Sega Rally Championship came out in 1998...the arcade SR2 I mean, not counting the Dreamcast translation in 1999. what PC Rally game in 1998 could even come remotely close to touching SR2?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Didn't DICE port the original RSC to PC? Turned out to be the best version of the title. I don't see the technical brilliance in RSC2 either. Nice game, but could use cleaner textures.

BTW, what console game has ever been difficult to port to PC? I can't think of any, although there are shoddy ports abound (Halo), I don't think it was a platform issue, but just sh!tty devs.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
rsc2 is wonderful. i'm glad to see the series getting the respect it deserves, as the first rsc didnt seem to garnish this attention (and there are several things the first game does better IMO).

i cant wait to see what these guys can do with xbox2

Shompola

Banned
doncale said:
the last Sega Rally Championship came out in 1998...the arcade SR2 I mean, not counting the Dreamcast translation in 1999. what PC Rally game in 1998 could even come remotely close to touching SR2?

There were actually a handfull of good to great rally racers on PC when Sega Rally 2 was released. I believe Colin 1 was allready out, I might be wrong.

op_ivy

bob_arctor said:
Hmmm. Do tell. :)

honestly, for the most part, i prefer the tracks in rsc1. the hill climbs were better, and most of the mediterranean stages smacks the shit out of pretty much anything in rsc2. now, obviously the new stages look a lot better, are longer, and generally more visually varied, but these older tracks had more memorable turns and were just generally more exciting and challenging.

and secondly, while rsc2 has definitely improved car handling and physics, its just almost too easy to drive the car. i was trying to explain this point to a friend a few days ago, and its kind of a hard point to make, so just try to bear with me :). basically, in rsc1, it took skill to whip the car into a perfect slide through corners. not so in rsc2, as the car almost does it automatically. i just dont get the same level of pride in finishing a perfect run in rsc2 as its a lot easier to drive without mistakes...

basically, all of you now creaming over rsc2 should give rsc1 a try if you havent already done so. the ice racing and rally cross suck (and thankfully were greatly improved in rsc2) but there is still a lot to find enjoyable in the rest of the game.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
op_ivy said:
honestly, for the most part, i prefer the tracks in rsc1. the hill climbs were better, and most of the mediterranean stages smacks the shit out of pretty much anything in rsc2. now, obviously the new stages look a lot better, are longer, and generally more visually varied, but these older tracks had more memorable turns and were just generally more exciting and challenging.

and secondly, while rsc2 has definitely improved car handling and physics, its just almost too easy to drive the car. i was trying to explain this point to a friend a few days ago, and its kind of a hard point to make, so just try to bear with me :). basically, in rsc1, it took skill to whip the car into a perfect slide through corners. not so in rsc2, as the car almost does it automatically. i just dont get the same level of pride in finishing a perfect run in rsc2 as its a lot easier to drive without mistakes...

basically, all of you now creaming over rsc2 should give rsc1 a try if you havent already done so. the ice racing and rally cross suck (and thankfully were greatly improved in rsc2) but there is still a lot to find enjoyable in the rest of the game.

Good post. I agree that it is almost too easy to slide your car around corners in RSC2 (and especially so if you compare it w/ the 1st game). The biggest beef I had w/ the 1st was game progression--very tedious and annoying. It's definitely "dumbed" down in the sequel but it's also much more enjoyable imo.

I have to go back tonight and check out the tracks again to compare them--aren't they way more wide now in RSC2?

op_ivy

bob_arctor said:
Good post. I agree that it is almost too easy to slide your car around corners in RSC2 (and especially so if you compare it w/ the 1st game). The biggest beef I had w/ the 1st was game progression--very tedious and annoying. It's definitely "dumbed" down in the sequel but it's also much more enjoyable imo.

the actual games progression was very basic in rsc1, i agree. thats another thing that was hugely improved. but once you finish the game, if you play time attack, that doesnt become an issue.

I have to go back tonight and check out the tracks again to compare them--aren't they way more wide now in RSC2?

some, yeah. but the windy med stages with tarmac are pretty narrow and make even the hardest monte carlo stages look tame in comparison. there is one pacific stage (ss2?) that has the most narrow section in the franchise... its literrally barely wide enough for the car.

make sure to go back through all the hill climbs and the med stages

jedimike

There were definitely some good tracks in RSC1, but none as memorable as the ones in RSC2. Sweden has some pretty tight tracks. The snow brims can help keep you in the middle, but they can mess you up too.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
bob_arctor said:
Definitely finish Champion to unlock everything (also get more skins for your car obviously).

Use the E-Brake for really extreme corners, otherwise feathering is the name of the game.
Also, since you're more or less used to the game, try manual shifting--it's fun as hell.

To enable Widescreen, go the dashboard and then Video settings.

Thanks for the advice rob. I think I'll do better staying away from the E-brake and just going with the feathering technique. And...heh...manual is an absolute MUST for me in every racing game.

Charlie's fallen Angel said:
I have the Mad Catz racing wheel and sorry man, but I don't recommend it. You don't feel the road because there's no force feedback. The gamepad is shaking more than the wheel. For a Ralli game, you have to feel the road when you start sliding and with the Mad Catz, unfortunetaly, you don't feel it because of the absence of a stronge force feedback. There is not proper wheel yet for that kind of game. I miss so much my ferrari thrustmaster, but it's only for PC.

I guess it might be because the game moves so much faster than any other racing game I've ever played. Also I play CMR04 every day too and mastering one's control is hard while also playing another. I love RSC2 mainly because of it's graphics,even though the more I play it the more pop-up and texture warping I see that I didn't in the beginning, but CM04 has much better control and I wish I still had the wheel to try out on it. I used one on CM 2.0 and loved it. I guess RSC2's too fast and bouncy for me to enjoy the racing wheel.

Mr. Angel, sir...while I can see your point, it really isn't a valid one.

You see, the thing about me, is that I have been playing racing games with a steering wheel all my life. I mastered Gran Turismo 3 and got 100% and all golds with the Logitech wheel. I mastered Ridge Racer and Daytona with a wheel. I simple feel NAKED with a gamepad. I need to be holding on to a steering hoop to get full satisfaction. So when I hear about these other people who say that a game is easier to control with a gamepad and that it feels better, I simply just shake my head like "Man, if they only knew. If they only KNEW how much better racing games were with a wheel if they got used to playing with one, the way I did."

I do not fall into their category...a category where gamers have played with a pad for years and years and now, just because they've tried a wheel for a few hours, they're ready to write it off as just some gimmick. It is somewhat of the opposite with me. The more I try to give the xbox gamepad a chance and get used to it, the more I grow to hate it. It's just not for me. It's the reason I *literally* took a pliers to Project Gotham Racing 2 and ripped the disc in half out of frustration.

So you see, my question wasn't asking for advice about whether I should give the Xbox gamepad a chance, it was more or less asking what steering wheel I should use, and how the Mad Catz MC2 measured up. Any attempt to get me to "switch to the other side" and continue playing with the Xbox gamepad will be fruitless. I simply *DO NOT* enjoy playing racing games with a gamepad....*P-E-R-I-O-D*

isamu

jedimike said:
I totally love playing online with RSC2. After the football hype dies down, we'll have to start another GAF league.

sounds like a wonderful idea :wub:

isamu

Guys...

Would you recommend altering the car's characteristics in the tune up menu? What can I adjust to make the car perform better? Would increasing or decreasing the brake stiffness be to my advantage? What about suspension? Any benefits? Quick or slow steering?

op_ivy

isamu said:
Guys...

Would you recommend altering the car's characteristics in the tune up menu? What can I adjust to make the car perform better? Would increasing or decreasing the brake stiffness be to my advantage? What about suspension? Any benefits? Quick or slow steering?

gear ratio's are a must IMO. you should shave quite a bit by shortening them considerably

SantaC

Yeah it's a tight game. I seriously don't know what's happend with sweden. We didn't really have a single good game developer in the history of videogaming, and suddenly DICE and Starbreeze (20 minutes from me)comes out of nowhere and develope top-notch games.

I'm no racing game expert, but I found tightening up the braking and suspension helped my times a fair bit, particually the suspension in the tougher snow tracks. Also, unless it's a hill climb (and a fast one at that), you're much better off with low gear ratios. They still wind up pretty high, and I can only remember a handful of times when you actually hit top speed.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I finally got to play RSC2 in progressive. My dad's got a 50" widescreen Hitachi LCD projection TV. It was like my eyes were in perpetual orgasm. WOW. Seriously, this and MotoGP2--best racers in recent memory.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
These developers didn't come out of nowhere. Starbreeze is composed of some former members from the old Amiga busting, SEGA-Saturn taming dev house named Scavenger.

isamu

Lazy8s said:
These developers didn't come out of nowhere. Starbreeze is composed of some former members from the old Amiga busting, SEGA-Saturn taming dev house named Scavenger.

That is incorrect. 4 of the members of Starbreeze came from Rare, another two came from Enix while the remaining doezen or so came from Namco Ltd.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
My fault, a lot of Starbreeze came from Triton. The Scavenger members went on to form IO Interactive, developer of Hitman 2. They have a close history, actually.

Fularu

Banned
Wasn't digital illusion sweden? I'm talking about the makers of The pinball trilogy on amiga (pinball dreams, fantasies, illusions)

isamu

Fularu said:
Wasn't digital illusion sweden? I'm talking about the makers of The pinball trilogy on amiga (pinball dreams, fantasies, illusions)

no. they are from Ireland.

isamu

Bob_actor or Opa_ivy.........

I am stuck in Pro Career in the Desert Cross Continental in where you race M.JHerpe in Australia at night. The motherfucker is a fucking flawless cheating bitch and appears to make no mistakes. I tried beating him with the Ford Focus and I just can't keep up. Are there any other cars you recommend or is the Focus the best for these crossovers? I am already using manual. What can I modify in the tune ups to improve the handling and/or drifting? Should I increase/decrease the gear ratios? Great fucking Scott this event is IMPOSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

isamu

DemonCleaner said:
total fark!

Yeah, I yelled the same thing numerous times in total frustration. It appears it's giving you trouble as well.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
isamu said:
Bob_actor or Opa_ivy.........

I am stuck in Pro Career in the Desert Cross Continental in where you race M.JHerpe in Australia at night. The motherfucker is a fucking flawless cheating bitch and appears to make no mistakes. I tried beating him with the Ford Focus and I just can't keep up. Are there any other cars you recommend or is the Focus the best for these crossovers? I am already using manual. What can I modify in the tune ups to improve the handling and/or drifting? Should I increase/decrease the gear ratios? Great fucking Scott this event is IMPOSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn, wish I was home so I can go back and check that track. The thing is, most night courses own me--I race in that "bumper" cam view and it's a pain in the ass to see everything going that fast (I've tried turning on the map option but it just feels like I'm cheezing). The only advice I can give off the top of my head is to use the car w/ the best acceleration available to you and keep your gear ratios short to improve on that even more. Otherwise, practice, practice, practice!

Personally, I've never really tuned any of my cars outside of the gear ratios, though I've heard the toe-in/out can affect your times substantially, mostly on the Ice stages.

Hopefully Ivy will answer you better--he owns at this game (kindbudmaster also pulls supernatural times though I haven't seen him on here in a bit)

isamu

I must have been extremely tired or something last night when I typed this post. I cannnot believe I made such a stupid typo and typed "Pro" when I meant to say "CHAMPIONSHIP" ! What??? I completed Pro long ago and was referring to the second crossover event in Championship Career, in that very long colum of events. You race on that short gravel Australian/Viper track at night against M. Hjerpe. It's all good now though cuz I beat him right after I typed that post! All the crossover events since then have been fairly easy compared to that one. I'm about half way done with Championhip now. :cool:

op_ivy

hmmm, i found the game to be absolutely incredibly simple... except for one stage. monte carlo ss9 on one of the higher difficulties (champion probably). i had to race that thing over and over, and i'd race flawlessly and have the ai just a split second behind me... and being that that stage is quite long, any screw up would put me a ways behind him and i couldnt catch up. it really made no sense, as every other stage and race, even on that difficulty setting, i'd win by 20 seconds or so...

long story short, i took a break, came back a few hours later, and won. the odd thing is, i raced just like i did the last times, probably even a bit worse then what i was getting last time, and i destroyed the ai times like every other course... not sure why the game got crazy ass fuck hard, but it reverted to normal (ie, easy) after rebooting.

as for tips, i find the wrx to be the best crossover car, and that or the xsara to be best for rallies. and definitely switch to short gear ratio for crossover... hell, i'd put it almost all the way left for the rallies as well

isamu

op_ivy said:
i find the wrx to be the best crossover car, and that or the xsara to be best for rallies.

Hmm, appearantly I have not unlocked those cars yet. Maybe they;ll unlock soon, in a few more events. The Ford Focus seems to be best car for I have right now.

op_ivy

the focus i believe is the first rally 2 car you unlock, so it should be much faster then the accent or other rally 1 cars.

Top Bottom