• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Don

Ridley327 said:
In order to unlock the final act of the campaign, you have to grind.

Act 5 is something that shouldn't have happened at all.
I still haven't completed Act 5.

Acts 1 - 4 are fantastic and I liked how it ended (especially the AI pod sequence), but all the missions that I need to complete to unlock more of Act 5 are too hard and I just lost interest. Maybe now that the PAL release has been delayed until February I might go back and give Act 5 another go.

Salaadin

Don said:
I still haven't completed Act 5.

Acts 1 - 4 are fantastic and I liked how it ended (especially the AI pod sequence), but all the missions that I need to complete to unlock more of Act 5 are too hard and I just lost interest. Maybe now that the PAL release has been delayed until February I might go back and give Act 5 another go.

Im pretty sure you only have to complete some EX OPS missions to unlock
the Act 5 Zadornov searches.

http://peacewalker.wikia.com/wiki/Zadornov_Search_Mission

The only "hard" one is Zadornov 6 because of the grinding.

EDIT: Spoiler tagged some PW stuff.

Don

Salaadin said:
Im pretty sure you only have to complete some EX OPS missions to unlock
the Act 5 Zadornov searches.

http://peacewalker.wikia.com/wiki/Zadornov_Search_Mission

The only "hard" one is Zadornov 6 because of the grinding.

EDIT: Spoiler tagged some PW stuff.
I think that I had only completed the first 2
Zadornov capture
missions but all of the extra ops missions available to me currently are vehicle missions or monster hunter missions which I was having a bit of trouble with and I just started to lose interest replaying them so often. I still loved the game overall though, so once I find the time I will probably go back to it again to see about clearing them before the collection releases here in February.

Ridley327

JPBrowncoat said:
I think they had a separate stamina bar you depleted to get no kills.
Yeah, all of the bosses (well, except you know who) all have their own stamina bar, including the actual battle against the Shagohod.

SamuraiX-

Oni Jazar said:
I'm a huge MGS fan but that Limited Edition is pretty steep for just a book. I want to see what's in it.

I think of it that I'm getting the art book... plus the amazing box cover art to mask that horrendous PS3 case cover.

EviLore said:
The collection wouldn't happen to have Japanese audio + English subtitle options on the discs, would it? I've always wanted to do some playthroughs with Akio Otsuka voice acting, ever since the amazing E3 2000 trailer.
My fucking god, yes. I've always wanted this. The Boss' voice in MGS3 is heart-wrenching. I doubt it'll happen, but aren't PS3 games regionless now? I will seriously get both a jap/american version.

I can't wait to play MGS2 in HD. the game is beyond amazing :'(

I'm currently listening to MGS2 OST: Opening Infiltration. the best OST in the series.

GQman2121

Banned
Blu_LED said:
What? Anyone who plays it in that order is an idiot.
Is that not the order the lore unfolds? Or are you just throwing your personal opinion out there on how you feel about the games?

Ridley327

GQman2121 said:
Is that not the order the lore unfolds? Or are you just throwing your personal opinion out there on how you feel about the games?
I mentioned it before, but I've never liked the idea of playing them chronologically just because of how the gameplay evolves between the games. Playing the games as such as they are in this collection would be pretty damn jarring.

I also mentioned that it doesn't matter much to play them chronologically because Kojima retcons shit at the drop of the hat, so stuff that would be true in MGS2 may not be the case in MGS3 and so on.

Marvie_3

Banned
Really looking forward to the MGS HD collection. LE wasn't worth it for me though so I just preordered the regular one.

Magnus

GQman2121 said:
Are you one of those clowns that thinks new viewers should watch the prequel Star Wars trilogy before A New Hope?

It might be chronological order, but it's certainly and objectively not how the lore is intended to unfold to the world. Prequels released later on are designed with knowledge of their sequel stories in mind.

Everyone watching Episode I is supposed to know Anakin becomes Vader, and will become Luke's father. MGS2 and 3 are the same.

GQman2121

Banned
Magnus said:
Are you one of those clowns that thinks new viewers should watch the prequel Star Wars trilogy before A New Hope?

It might be chronological order, but it's certainly and objectively not how the lore is intended to unfold to the world. Prequels released later on are designed with knowledge of their sequel stories in mind.

Everyone watching Episode I is supposed to know Anakin becomes Vader, and will become Luke's father. MGS2 and 3 are the same.
I am not one of those people. And I actually agree with your point about having previous knowledge on the character's and story and how that can add to the experience. I suppose I'm looking at it as someone who has beaten 2 & 3 numerous times over the years, so for me nothing would really be revealed. I totally see where you, and others, are coming from though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
GQman2121 said:
I am not one of those people. And I actually agree with your point about having previous knowledge on the character's and story and how that can add to the experience. I suppose I'm looking at it as someone who has beaten 2 & 3 numerous times over the years, so for me nothing would really be revealed. I totally see where you, and others, are coming from though.
If you've played them before, then playing them in any order won't matter.

For someone new to the games, however, they should definitely play them in the order they were released starting with MGS1.

FStop7 said:
Damn youuuu, Yoji Shinkawa and your amazing art! Preordered the LE for the book, I cannot resist.

Yeah, for some reason MGS games are the only video games that i buy LE versions of. Peace Walker was ok, but the HD Collection LE looks far better.

dubc35

I recently got an Amazon gift card for $50 so I might pick this up pending GAF impressions. I have all the games in their regular format so we'll see. I wish MGS1 was included. It's my favorite MGS.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Brandon F said:
Is the LE exclusive to Amazon? Have BB giftcards I was hoping to use for it.

Should have bought Kindle gift cards at Best Buy to use on Amazon. I heard Best Buy doesn't carry them anymore but I'm not sure.

thechemist

Great job on OP, can't wait for this game! Hope the EU gets a similar Limited edition to the US due to the delay as I missed the Zavvi one.

GQman2121

Banned
Wario64 said:
Should have bought Kindle gift cards at Best Buy to use on Amazon. I heard Best Buy doesn't carry them anymore but I'm not sure.
I'll have to look into that too because that is a brilliant idea. I won a $50 Best Buy gift card last week for donating blood at my office and it would be great to use it on this game.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Wario64 said:
You can't use gift cards to buy gift cards can you?

I can't wait to dig into everything all over again!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know what system to get it for though....................ps3????

Itchy//Tasty said:
So what are fellow Europeans doing, anyone importing? Or waiting it out for our version in case it comes with Euro-only extras?

I'm importing the US LE. I must have the HD collection this year! I've also ordered the Zavvi Ultimate Edition.

GameE

What does this say? o_O

游戏爆机需要30-40小时,包括所有游玩要素在内需要更多小时都有可能 

・紧张的故事展开带来很高投入度。能够以大画面高画质来体验实在让人高兴。难度虽然比较高但育成方面很有深度也可以尽兴游戏。Fulton的回收让人兴奋。有PSP版的下载码很合算。360版没那么合算不过也肯定是好作品

・完成度之高和游戏的乐趣之大早就已经得到过证实。针对HD主机的微调也能让游戏可以更顺畅的尽兴。音效工厂的沉迷度进一步提升。PS3版附带PSP版下载版并且可以记录联动让人十分高兴

・能以大画面游戏非常好。也能够感受到画面影像的景深。音效更有感觉敌人也更容易发现。可以通过记录转换继续PSP版的游戏,同时还有奖杯非常令人高兴。能够通过右摇杆来改变视点对于boss战来说非常有帮助。有PSP下载版带着很划算

・有着出色的故事性和合作游戏乐趣的PW画面变得更美丽,更容易融入世界观。右摇杆使用起来让游戏变得方便。同捆PSP下载版并且记录共通让游戏的选择性得到扩展。360版就感觉不太划算了

FAMI对PS3、360双主机版本的游戏极少评分出现差异,也就猎天使魔女那种实在是差距过大才会。从评语可以得知这次的评分差并非是游戏本身,而是因为PS3版是附带PSP版的下载版的。360玩家也可以放心游玩。

Solid warrior said:
I can't wait to play MGS2 in HD. the game is beyond amazing :'(

I'm currently listening to MGS2 OST: Opening Infiltration. the best OST in the series.

That's one of the best Harry Gregson-Williams tracks in the game. Unfortunately, the game loses appeal after the Tanker mission for me.

GameE said:
What does this say? o_O

From what I can tell with Google Translate, I think the PS3 version scored higher because the code for the PSP version of Peace Walker it comes with provides better value.

Gouda Jouji said:
From what I can tell with Google Translate, I think the PS3 version scored higher because the code for the PSP version of Peace Walker it comes with provides better value.
Well that's a thing I suppose.
Hopefully real reviews start rolling in soon.

Top Bottom