• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Slug 4 for the Gamecube has been listed in this week's Famitsu

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
boy, if someone was going to start a petition, you'd think they'd ask for metal slug 3. still, even the WORST METAL SLUG EVAR is pretty decent.

neo2046

some forums in Japan also reported this

but source from this week's Famitsu?? it never has famitsu news before Wednesday each week

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
This is good and bad.

Good to see an SNK game on the GC.

But bad because it's crappy-ass Metal Slug 4. :( They should put a game on the GC that isn't slated for PS2 release (in the States) like SvC Chaos or something, or make a pack of Metal Slug 3 AND 4 to make the pain of 4 a lot easier to take. :)

NotMSRP

Should include MS 1-3 for those who don't have any MS plus help the product sell on GC. MS 1-4 GC disc is attractive.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Lyte Edge said:
This is good and bad.

Good to see an SNK game on the GC.

But bad because it's crappy-ass Metal Slug 4. :( They should put a game on the GC that isn't slated for PS2 release (in the States) like SvC Chaos or something, or make a pack of Metal Slug 3 AND 4 to make the pain of 4 a lot easier to take. :)

IAWTP. MS4 is the worst Slug IMO. It should be some kind of compilation.

Either:
MS 1,2,X or
MS 3,4,5 or
MS 1-5 (this should be released for all platforms IMO)

I dont know why SNK should do these kind of games on the xbox in the first place, they should have focused on ps2 and gc since they're both jap consoles and are more suitable to this kind of games than xbox.......

Well if it comes at a $20 price tag then I'll buy this for sure. I rather enjoyed MS4, but I would prefer MS5 if they must do the newer ones.

jarrod

Banned
If MS4's coming, I expect SNKP's planning full support of Neo/AW games from here on out. Hopefully MS5, KOF2003, SSV/S and SVC Chaos are just around the corner...

ourumov

Hopefully...I would consider the purchase of tons of them on the GC if they released a special controller.
Come on Nintendo release a SNES adaptor !!!! (I don't want the Hori one, I just want to use my SNES controller).

jarrod said:
If MS4's coming, I expect SNKP's planning full support of Neo/AW games from here on out. Hopefully MS5, KOF2003, SSV/S and SVC Chaos are just around the corner...
Haha. *Whipes tear from eye*
If there were any logic in this industry in the first place, the Xbox wouldn't be home to all those SNK games in the first place and gamecube would've had an even haul. But that's just it. SNK is a little too loopy when it comes to these decisions.

jarrod

Banned
SNKP was holding off on GC development because costs media would've been higher (as compared to DC/PS2/Xbox)... who knows, maybe Nintendo cut a royalty deal with them? Metal Slug 4 is a good sign something's up anyway...

cvxfreak

Nice to see SNK finally jumping on board the GC bandwagon. Maybe they released Xbox wasn't the real place for their games after all.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i was under the impression that playmore's xbox ports were prompted by scea's interference with their ps2 games. the xbox versions would give them access to the western market. certainly the announcement of the xbox version of metal slug 3 seemed to coincide with scea's rejection of the ps2 version.

in that context, i don't think the gc would have been a better choice -- it's less successful than xbox in the west, and its audience of kids and hardcore nintendo fans wouldn't necessarily be more receptive than the xbox audience. how did the xbox version of metal slug 3 do anyway? i don't read sales threads.

SyNapSe

drohne said:
in that context, i don't think the gc would have been a better choice -- it's less successful than xbox in the west, and its audience of kids and hardcore nintendo fans wouldn't necessarily be more receptive than the xbox audience. how did the xbox version of metal slug 3 do anyway? i don't read sales threads.

I imagine they would probably do equally well on both GC and Xbox. I'm sure it would be poor performance on either. It would have helped if they hadn't launched MS3 at $39.99. I mean c'mon.. at least make it a compilation if you want $40 out of people.

Hellraizah

SyNapSe said:
I imagine they would probably do equally well on both GC and Xbox. I'm sure it would be poor performance on either. It would have helped if they hadn't launched MS3 at $39.99. I mean c'mon.. at least make it a compilation if you want $40 out of people.
Considering the price of the AES originals, 39,99$ is a true bargain.

jarrod

Banned
drohne said:
i was under the impression that playmore's xbox ports were prompted by scea's interference with their ps2 games. the xbox versions would give them access to the western market. certainly the announcement of the xbox version of metal slug 3 seemed to coincide with scea's rejection of the ps2 version.
Xbox support was announced at E3 2003, well before SCEA's MS3 block (indeed MS3 PS2 was at the show iirc). More likely SNK was looking to a new secondary platform to support in anticipation of winding down DC devlopment. Xbox according to Ben Herman won out over GameCube due to fan request (?) and lower media costs.

drohne said:
MS3 Xbox sold around 40k... it outsold KOF 2000/20001 PS2 by two to one.

Still, releases like Ikaruka and CVS2EO show GameCube has a healthy market for 2D arcade releases (CVS2 GC outsold the Xbox release even). Nostalgia seems to play into GameCube's favor, and not exclusively for Nintendo....

cvxfreak

Old games seem to do particularly well on the GC for some reason. Namco Museum, MegaMan Anniversary Collection, Sonic Mega Collection...

Bluemercury said:
I dont know why SNK should do these kind of games on the xbox in the first place, they should have focused on ps2 and gc since they're both jap consoles and are more suitable to this kind of games than xbox.......

They DO have metal slugs 3,4, and 5 on the PS2. The catch is, they are in Japan. SNK tried to bring the games over but they wanted full price, and i think Sony wanted a reduced Price. So they released them on the X-nox , and for the price they have been asking, it has done well.

the MS series would be perfect for the GC. THis is good news. Hopefully; the first title will sell and then the subsequent ones will too.

jarrod said:
MS3 Xbox sold around 40k... it outsold KOF 2000/20001 PS2 by two to one.

Well, not Exactly Jarrod...:), according to Bunkum list http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthread.php?p=171588#post171588

-----------------------------

December '03

PS2 KING FIGHTERS 2K/2K1 $677,954 17019

January '04

PS2 KING FIGHTERS 2K/2K1 $210,454 5284

February '04

PS2 KING FIGHTERS 2K/2K1 $142,199 3563

March '04

PS2 KING FIGHTERS 2K/2K1 $102,172 2583

April '04

PS2 KING FIGHTERS 2K/2K1 $63,983 1796

May '04

PS2 KING FIGHTERS 2K/2K1 $61,632 2025
XBX METAL SLUG 3 $464,925 11694

July ' 04

PS2 KING FIGHTERS 2K/2K1 $40,786 1365
XBX METAL SLUG 3 $344,669 8633

August ' 04

PS2 KING FIGHTERS 2K/2K1 $40,854 1,861
XBX METAL SLUG 3 $196,601 4,928

----------------------

So the PS2 version of KoF sold approximately 35, 496 copies. Whereas, the Xbox version of Metal Slug 3 sold just about 25, 255

jarrod

Banned
I was way off... I coulda sworn I saw MS3 in some NPD list at 39k (with KOF at 25k)... musta switched them in my head. :/

Anyone have Ikaruga sales btw? Last I remember it was around 40k but that was summer 2003...

SyNapSe

TheGreenGiant said:
the MS series would be perfect for the GC. THis is good news. Hopefully; the first title will sell and then the subsequent ones will too.

Yeah.. honestly the GC has two sectors.. kids, and the hardcore people from my generation (i.e. born in mid-to late 70's and grew up with the N.). They seem to still be able to cash in with both markets with pretty good success.

jarrod said:
I was way
Anyone have Ikaruga sales btw? Last I remember it was around 40k but that was summer 2003...

I tried searching it for you but to no avail... You should try pm-ing Bunkum....
2ch_mattari.gif

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
jarrod said:
I was way off... I coulda sworn I saw MS3 in some NPD list at 39k (with KOF at 25k)... musta switched them in my head. :/

Actually the correct sales for KOF2000/2001 and MS3 are:

KOF2000/2001 - 37,729
Metal Slug 3 - 48,579

And Ikaruga: 56,154 as of June 2003

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
jarrod said:

If someone could get ikaruga sales, i'd be very happy :)

Top Bottom