• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metalocalypse creator gets a "hard no" on reviving series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

Last year, Dethklok/Metalocalypse fans had been campaigning for one final season of the show. Back in April, the show's television home, Adult Swim launched a petition to…make Adult Swim sign the petition… to bring back Metaloclypse, as well as a a live video feed, of the official fax machine, with all entries going directly into a recycling bin.

In essence, the joke was indicative of how seriously Adult Swim took the requests from fans for more Metaloclypse, as creator Brendon Small revealed in a new interview with Loudwire. He mentioned Adult Swim had no interest in bringing the show back, in-spite fans' demand:

“There was no debate, there wasn’t even a returned phone call. It was a hard ‘no.’ It was about as hard of a ‘no’ as you could possibly get … It’s basically like a crappy relationship at the end where we should probably break up, but they kept on dangling the idea of doing this thing in front of me and then dangling other TV show ideas and stuff like that.

“What I think really happened was [‘Metalocalypse Now’ campaigners] drove Adult Swim insane. I think Adult Swim, for some reason, took it very personally. The truth was that people were saying, ‘Hey, what the hell? Where’s our show? We’re here for this show, can you give it to us? We’re gonna watch it like crazy,’ and [Adult Swim] said no. I think somebody’s thin-skinned and somebody got their feeling hurt.”

RIP to an incredible series. It was fun and the music was pretty awesome also. I look forward to whatever Brendon Small does next.

http://www.metalinjection.net/lates...im-gave-him-hard-no-on-reviving-metalocalypse

Mesousa

Banned
Adult Swim, as a network, is pretty much done. Nothing groundbreaking is coming through their pipeline now.

Brutal...

lXyUv7U.gif

Fluvian

Banned
Good, I'm sorry but the show became terrible after they extended the length of the episodes, so much filler and drawn out jokes.

Effect

A shame. I loved that show and for a long time was the only reason I bothered with Adult Swim. Is it out on bluray or DVD at least?

Cardon

Shame. Too bad we never got the video game adaptation either. Would've at least been fun to play that even if it was pure garbage.

BHK3

Banned
Is he lowkey blaming the fans?

Not really, he's basically saying [as] suck and are idiots and thus when actual fans made demands, [as] lost it. [as] haven't made anything remotely entertaining since squidbillies and aqua teen, both shows that are more than a decade old at this point.

daveo42

Banned
I won't be surprised if the next show he does is on VRV, that western animation channel thing that CrunchyRoll has put together. I'd rather have him bring back Home Movies as opposed to another season of Metalocalypse, but that's just me.

TBH, I haven't watched [as] in ages. I had to Google their current lineup and didn't recognize many of the original series they had.

[as] is a shell of what it once was as they've moved towards Seth MacFarlane shows to fill time on top of stuff that mostly unwatchable. There have been a few okay shows here and there, but overall it's not worth watching.

What? Rick and Morty, The Eric Andre Show, Samurai Jack S5, and Mike Tyson Mysteries don't count or something?

I'm saying given the people in charge of the block that it's a miracle that anything of value like those shows gets produced at all.

Mesousa

Banned
What? Rick and Morty, The Eric Andre Show, Samurai Jack S5, and Mike Tyson Mysteries don't count or something?

A Network, which Adult swim is trying to prove to be, doesnt last on one good show.

Rick and Morty, which I believe is entering its third season(the same season where AS killed Moral Orel). It doesnt have that much left in it even if it is their one shining beacon.

The other shows you mentioned are effectively a shock jock, a revival of a show that came out at the tail end of the Cartoon Cartoons block when people weren't watching in large part anymore, and a gimmick show about an ex boxer. Not exactly high quality.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Rick and Morty, which I believe is entering its third season(the same season where AS killed Moral Orel). It doesnt have that much left in it even if it is their one shining beacon.

Yeah, I gotta agree, I don't know how much is left in that tank, to be honest. You don't want it to end up getting fatigue and the episodes just being.. meh.

Aside from Alan Resniks stuff, AS is just garbage right now. Nothing new or exciting happening. A lot of just really dumb shit.

Strimei

Adult Swim, as a network, is pretty much done. Nothing groundbreaking is coming through their pipeline now.

The group running Toonami seem kinda decent, at least. I mean they got us Samurai Jack another season and FLCL too.

But yeah the rest of AS...

Though the whole fax machine to a recycle bin thing is classic Adult Swim.

Xis

I hope he puts out more music; I have all three Dethalbums + his solo album, and they are all great.

So the Metalocalypse teasing was really just AS being passive aggressive? (The fax machine feeding straight into the trash can for example)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
A Network, which Adult swim is trying to prove to be, doesnt last on one good show.

The other shows you mentioned are effectively a shock jock, a revival of a show that came out at the tail end of the Cartoon Cartoons block when people weren't watching in large part anymore, and a gimmick show about an ex boxer. Not exactly high quality.

Oh give me a break. They have had a long line of shows that are both popular with critics and fans as well being creative and interesting works of arts. They've shoveled out a lot of shit over their time but they have also given us the Boondocks and the Venture Brothers.

Xe4

Banned
I'm saying given the people in charge of the block that it's a miracle that anything of value like those shows gets produced at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if at least two of these get cancelled out of spite at some point.
That's fair. They still put out good stuff, though, and I'll wait until they don't before saying they're shit as a channel. Cartoon channels have rarely ever had more than 1-2 good shows anyhow.

Yeah, and let's compare the competition. CN has Adventure Time, which is ending, Regular Show, which is ending, Steven Universe, and The Amazing World of Gumball. 2 good shows ain't a stellar look either. A few years ago they had nothing because of their stupid focus on live action, and they made a remarkable comeback.

Nick has ???
Disney has Star vs. the Forces of Evil and not much else.
I wouldn't be so quick to write off AS.

Your forgetting Venture Brothers.

You're right. Never been the biggest fan, but I can't deny it's good.

Mesousa

Banned
Yeah, I gotta agree, I don't know how much is left in that tank, to be honest. You don't want it to end up getting fatigue and the episodes just being.. meh.

Its gonna happen if they keep it on for too much longer.

China IL also ended in its 3rd season, and even that show I would say peaked in its second season. They gave Brad Neely another show on there and its absolutely horrible.

Neely shorts were perfect for late nights where you could have sex with your partner, roll over put on some headphones, and experience them on youtube. I turned on that Brad Neely show a few weeks ago(whenever the last episode of the new season of squidbillies was on...which also is a clusterfuck considering their seasons consist of like 5 episodes now), and I turned it off in shame when my girlfriend looked over at me and asked "Do you really like this shit?"....She was right, and I knew it in my heart. Its a terrible show that captures none of the charm his youtube shorts had.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Alright then, let Brendon revive Home Movies instead.

That show is where [AS] peaked.

Never watched much of the show, but man, that must really suck for fans of the show.

Then again, this is par the course for the night block. Frisky Dingo, Lucy, Daughter of the Devil, Stroker and Hoop; shows that all got denied 3rd or even 2nd seasons. Superjail had it's greenlit fourth season cut down to six episodes, which were then shown with minimal promotion in six weeks. The network announced that it deciding not to greenlight a fifth season...an entire year after the fourth season aired.

Honestly it's a miracle AS produces anything not completely awful ever.

You can say that again.

I wouldn't be surprised if at least two of these get cancelled out of spite at some point.

Pretty much. And I bet the revived Toonami block will be chucked out the window with them too, sooner or later.

Oh give me a break. They have had a long line of shows that are both popular with critics and fans as well being creative and interesting works of arts. They've shoveled out a lot of shit over their time but they have also given us the Boondocks and the Venture Brothers.

Boondocks was good up until they made the fourth season without Aaron MacGruber. That season was a mess.

Trike

lol at some of these replies. Yeah, it sucks that Metalocalypse is done. No need to discredit all the other amazing shows that are currently on there.

Mesousa

Banned

So you are banking on AS living off of nostalgia?

No arguments there, but could you honestly watch Adult Swim TONIGHT and get any enjoyment out of it? Would you even want to?

That's fair. They still put out good stuff, though, and I'll wait until they don't before saying they're shit as a channel. Cartoon channels have rarely ever had more than 1-2 good shows anyhow.

Yeah, and let's compare the competition. CN has Adventure Time, which is ending, Regular Show, which is ending, Steven Universe, and The Amazing World of Gumball. 2 good shows ain't a stellar look either. A few years ago they had nothing because of their stupid focus on live action, and they made a remarkable comeback.

Nick has ???
Disney has ???

I wouldn't be so quick to write off AS.

Nick is ass, and Disney prints money. These are both true statements, and these statements don't take away anything about what Adult Swim is now.

Cartoon Network was able to strike gold with teen titans go, a show they still broadcast to death, to paper over the cracks in their lineup for a time. Does Adult Swim have anything like that right now? Whats keeping people there during the likes of poor programming? Increasingly unfunny Robot Chicken parodies of stuff from the 80's nobody gives two fuck about? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom