• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meteos - Mizuguchi's DS Game

alright, so here it is, Mizuguchi's DS game.

ss01a.jpg
ss02a.jpg

ss01b.jpg
ss02b.jpg

ss03a.jpg
ss04a.jpg

ss03b.jpg
ss04b.jpg

ss05a.jpg
ss06a.jpg

ss05b.jpg
ss06b.jpg

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
what's with all the puzzle games? :/

does miziguchi's startup lack the money/manpower to do anything else?

Shoryuken

drohne said:
what's with all the puzzle games? :/

does miziguchi's startup lack the money/manpower to do anything else?

Maybe he's looking to hit it big on the PSP/DS, like Tetris did on the Gameboy. Puzzle games are perfect for portable platforms.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
aku:jiki said:
This, uh... Doesn't look anywhere near as cool as Luminares...

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

BuG

Hmm, another puzzle game? I suppose when PopCap Games were a startup company, puzzle games helped them make a bit of money, but there are other types of games out there. When do we find out exactly how it plays, without having to rely on horrible machine translations or resorting to learning the language ourselves...

Babelgrish said:
Planet "メテオス" began reckless driving!
The substance which is produced endlessly isto be the meteor (the weir)with to become, it continues to be discharged by outer space. This way, it is covered in the meteor which falls, 1 planets do not remain and are crushed and do....
The method of rescuing the crisis of the planet simply one.
To strike the meteor which piles up to outer space it returns!

When with the touch pen the meteor in the top and bottom replacement and the same type 3 or more is arranged in vertical & side either one, the meteor rises becoming the Kata Mali.
So, quite like the rocket!
New feeling "to strike," the type action puzzle game. Appearance to ニンテンドー DS.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
When with the touch pen the meteor in the top and bottom replacement and the same type 3 or more is arranged in vertical & side either one, the meteor rises becoming the Kata Mali.

Katamari what now?

PkunkFury

it looks like the space ships fires stuff i\from the top screen into the floating puzzle game and onto the bottom screen. And the puzzle blocks blast off into outer space?? perhaps when they blast off they damage the rocket attacking you?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Straight from 1UP.com:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3135202
"Meteos: Another Bandai-published project from Rez creator Tetsuya Mizuguchi, Meteos blends block-dropping puzzle action with some other curious gameplay elements -- apparently, the goal is to eventually launch all your blocks back up into orbit. Definitely a game to look out for, even if it doesn't look quite so visually sharp as his PSP game Lumines."

Sounds interesting.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Well, I certainly hope this is not that game Mizuguchi was putting most his efforts in, as it really does look rather poor. He's only a producer on this, not a designer, so it doesn't really seem this would be it. Or at least I hope. Lumines looks more like a 'his' thing, with the whole music changing concept.

Miburou

Johnny Nighttrain said:
nope. Lumines is more of a side / pet project.

his DS game will have more substance. it will have some kind of shooting, i can say that much. but yeah, this is the game he's putting most of his effort into.

Hmm, seems your sources weren't that spot on.

Kon Tiki

Banned
People were bitching that the PSP/DS were the death of 2D games. Yet when some 2D games come out, they get slammed for not being 3D graphical showcases.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Society said:
People were bitching that the PSP/DS were the death of 2D games. Yet when some 2D games come out, they get slammed for not being 3D graphical showcases.

Nfans are teh flip-floppers

Online gaming is a fad -> HOLY SHIT WARP PIPE IS DOING SECRET PROJECT

Oh no PSP is the death of 2D handheld gaming -> OMG ugly 2D game on NDS???

aku:jiki

Society said:
Because 2D games can't be ugly, or what?

Please don't be retarded.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Wario64 said:

I think Nintendo fans were republicans? Gahiggidy!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's not that at all. There's good and there's bad looking 2D games. Lumines is 2D game as well, and it's not very complex looking one at that, but it looks stylish. There's couple of nice looking 2D DS games announced, not the least of it the Sega's "Project Rub" (which is some kind of 2D/3D game actually). This, on the other hand does eerily look like some Windows 3.11 shareware game, as someone already said.

Insertia

Yeah, this just looks bad. I could care less if it were 2d or 3d.

Crappy graphics are crappy graphics regardless of the dimension.

Brofist

FortNinety said:
h-103_32015_03.jpg.jpg

Is that a white DS?

If the GBA SP is any indicator, there will be 100 colors/special editions anyway. That's probably the Meteos Super Pearl White SE DS.

Oh the game looks teh suck.

JackFrost2012 said:
okay, seriously, that looks dumb. and I'm like Rez fan #1 and pro-Lumines.

IAWTP. Pro SC5 + Rez. Not sure about this or Lumines.

Ugly. Mizuguchi is still HAWT though. Why the fuck is the cool cat designing games with blocks? boo

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Ultra Magnanimous said:
Getting past the graphics for a moment, does anyone have a clue how it works? Whats the play mechanic?
I have no clue...I just like the fact that it looks like the blocks can blast off into space, with their very own rocket boosters.

Kon Tiki

Banned
October 07, 2004 - Nintendo has revealed first details on Meteos, a mysterious game in development from Bandai. First announced a couple of months back, the identity of this title was kept a secret until now.

In Meteos, a planet called Meteos has started to explode. Fragments of the planet become and endless stream of meteors, putting your planet in peril. There's only one means of saving the planet. That's right! Send the falling meteors back into space!

With this background, it would seem that the name "Meteos" should actually be "Meteors." But, then again, there is the fact that the planet is called "Meteos," and you couldn't very well have a planet called "Meteors," could you? For now, we'll stick with the name "Meteos" until Bandai tells us otherwise.

In terms of gameplay, Meteos takes the form of a falling-blocks-style puzzle game where the blocks represent the falling meteors. You use the touch pen to move blocks around the play field. By lining up three or more of the same color blocks either horizontally or vertically, the blocks will group together into a clump and go flying back into space.

There's actually more to the game than just the usual falling blocks rules, as you'll have to build up enough rocket power to launch the meteors back into space or they'll blow up in the sky. No, we don't know for sure what we're talking about, and won't until we've tried this game out for ourselves.

Meteos can be played simultaneously by up to four players via WiFi play. Meteors that are being blasted into space can be sent to one of your opponents by selecting the planet representing your opponent from the top screen.

Even with this partial description, there's definitely some reason to look forward to Meteos just based on the names behind it. Meteos is actually being developed at Q Entertainment, who's also working with Bandai on Lumines for PSP. Serving as producer on the project is company founder Tetsuya Mizuguchi, who produced Space Channel 5 and Rez over at Sega. Serving as game designer is Masahiro Sakurai, the director of Kirby who left Nintendo's HAL Laboratories back in late 2003.

Meteos's release date has yet to be announced, but based on the history of its creators, we're definitely looking to learn more. Check back with IGNDS shortly for further details.
-IGN

Society said:

When I want a 2D game, I'm totally not thinking of another drop-puzzle. I think I've officially played enough tetris, puyo puyo, columns, hebereke, and the reverse types like
bust a move to last me two lifetimes. And dammit, why are they thought of as puzzle
games? If you want a good (real) puzzle game, play puzzle boy on pc engine. Great music too!

belgurdo

Banned
Wario64 said:

Gyahaha

This game actually sounds more interesting than Lumines, though not somehing I'd expect from Mizuguchi.

However, the graphics do suck.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
It's not so much the graphics (though they're nothing special), it's the style. It just looks gross, especially the upper screen. Which is so, so strange from Mizuguchi.

This game better play well, 'cos no one's going to look at it otherwise.

snapty00

Banned
It really does have a 16-color Windows 3.1 thing going.

If you remember what those 16 colors were, you'd see that they're pretty much these screenshots. The 16 colors of Windows were very dull and dark.

retardboy

Makes me think... was the brilliance of Rez due to Mizuguchi or his team? Sure looks like it was the team because that one Sonic Team game developed by Mizuguchi's old team looks much more stylish and like Rez than does this.

even though Feel The Magic does have great style, it looks nothing like rez. at all. in any case, it's really unfair to give Mizuguchi all the credit for Rez don't you think?

having said that, im sure Q (which consist of less than 12 people i think) isn't getting the kind of budgets that Sonic Team gets for obvious reasons. not to say that Sonic Team is better, but you get the point. anyways, as much as i love Mizuguchi, and his views on the industry, it just isn't fair to give him all the credit for UGA's work. it takes more than one person to pull off something like Rez or Sega Rally, so clearly they have talent. and now that they're part of Sonic Team, im sure they're getting some good budgets.

another thing, does anyone know how many people from UGA he took with him if any?

Mashing

Hmmm, I look at the screenshots for this game and for some reason I get a craving from some 4X action like Star Control 2, MOO2 and Space Empires IV... these types of games could easily be made on the DS. I'd probably die of a heart attack if that happened though.

Top Bottom