• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mexican Congress passes radical shake-up of oil industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Espresso

Banned
Mexico's Congress on Thursday overwhelmingly voted to open up the country's oil and gas sector to private investment in the biggest overhaul of the industry since it was nationalized in 1938.

After a whirlwind final passage through Congress, President Enrique Pena Nieto's bill will offer companies the chance to operate oil wells, commercialize crude and partner with state oil giant Pemex as Mexico seeks to revive flagging output.

It aims to entice oil majors such as Exxon Mobil Corp and BP Plc with production- and profit-sharing, service contracts and licenses.

Mexico's two biggest parties faced down accusations they were betraying their homeland to foreign oil firms, and approved a series of changes to the constitution that could radically transform the fortunes of the world's No. 10 oil producer.

At more than 10 billion barrels, Mexico has Latin America's third-largest proven oil reserves after Venezuela and Brazil. It also has nearly 30 billion barrels of prospective resources in territorial deep waters of the Gulf of Mexico.

"The energy reform marks a fundamental transformation that will allow us to increase our energy sovereignty and self sufficiency in Mexico," Pena Nieto said in a Tweet after the reform's approval.

"It will also drive productivity, economic growth and job creation in Mexico," he added.

Pemex has struggled to exploit Mexico's oil reserves due to a lack of investment, high taxes and persistent allegations of corruption. Mexico's crude output peaked at 3.4 million barrels per day in 2004, and has fallen by more than a quarter.

Proponents of the reform said Mexico would fall further behind its peers without finding new investors to help exploit its deep water and subterranean oil and shale reserves.

"Today, the name of the game is greater economic competitiveness," Javier Trevino, a lawmaker in the ruling Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI) on the lower house energy committee, said in a debate that went through the night.

U.S. oil giant Exxon sees an opening up of Mexico's oil sector as a "win-win".

"To put it bluntly, we believe that would be very good for the people of Mexico," William Colton, the company's vice president of corporate strategic planning, told reporters on a webcast from Washington before the reform's final approval.

Experts said the world's leading oil companies will need to see final investment terms and new regulations before deciding whether to do business in the country.

"We have to keep an eye on those," Tim Cutt, head of petroleum at resources giant BHP Billiton, said of Mexico's reforms. Both the Eagle Ford shale and Permian Basin in Texas as well as the U.S. Gulf of Mexico abut Mexican borders.​

More at Reuters.

It's a shame you didn't bold this bit:

"Pemex has struggled to exploit Mexico's oil reserves due to a lack of investment, high taxes and persistent allegations of corruption. Mexico's crude output peaked at 3.4 million barrels per day in 2004, and has fallen by more than a quarter."

With the right taxation and regulation, I think that private investment could be a lot more profitable. Oil is a product, like anything else.

jonnyp

"Pemex has struggled to exploit Mexico's oil reserves due to a lack of investment, high taxes and persistent allegations of corruption. Mexico's crude output peaked at 3.4 million barrels per day in 2004, and has fallen by more than a quarter."

With the right taxation and regulation, I think that private investment could be a lot more profitable. Oil is a product, like anything else.

We have private investment in Norway but we tax all oil revenues with 78%. If they adopt a similar system in Mexico I don't see how it would be bad for the country.

leroidys

I have mixed feelings about this. The national company was already corrupt and underserving the Mexican people. Here's to hoping the corporations will be better, I guess? (lol)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Pemex has struggled to exploit Mexico's oil reserves due to a lack of investment, high taxes and persistent allegations of corruption. Mexico's crude output peaked at 3.4 million barrels per day in 2004, and has fallen by more than a quarter."[/b]

With the right taxation and regulation, I think that private investment could be a lot more profitable.
It if were about cleaning the act, they would instaurate a new model with checks and balances on top of a great deal of public scrutiny to avoid mismanagement. Yet the government is willing to go as far as fixing the constitution and create a huge social rift in the process before doing something as simple as that. That's a huge red flag.

Oil is a product, like anything else.
Oil is an strategic asset. Strategic assets ought to be in full control of the governments for the sake of the nation and good governance itself. In the case of Mexico, a country which is hardly rich despite its natural resources and has tons of social issues that require HUGE amounts of money to fix, the oil industry is of the utmost strategic importance.

It if were about cleaning the act, they would instaurate a new model with checks and balances on top of a great deal of public scrutiny to avoid mismanagement. Yet the government is willing to go as far as fixing the constitution and create a huge social rift in the process before doing something as simple as that. That's a huge red flag.

I'm afraid I don't know nearly enough about the specifics of Mexico's constitution to comment on this at all. I also have no knowledge of the social rift that they're creating to which you refer.

Oil is an strategic asset. Strategic assets ought to be in full control of the governments for the sake of the nation and good governance itself. In the case of Mexico, a country which is hardly rich despite its natural resources and has tons of social issues that require HUGE amounts of money to fix, the oil industry is of the utmost strategic importance.

You're making an assertion without any reasoning to back it up. Why do you think this? I ask because it seems that Mexico nationalised their oil industry almost 80 years ago - how is that working out for them re: funding the problems they have and need to fix? As jonnyp above mentions, the idea that privatised == the government getting less money isn't true at all. Whether this is good for Mexico will come down entirely to how they implement it - certainly it's the case that it could end up being worse for Mexico, but it's also true that it could end up being much, much better. In the UK - a country with almost half of the oil reserves of Mexico - during peak production, the Oil industry was providing 10% of the entire countries tax revenues. In Norway I suspect it's even greater - both with private control of the acquisition and sale. The idea that the Mexican government is selling its people down the river because they're privatising an industry which has had 80 years to offer returns is misleading.

SimleuqiR

It's all about the $$$ and who is wetting their beak.
It's total BS that they can't invest in the processes to make and extract oil when they have so much of it. Why not borrow the money to invest? Hier individuals (not external corps) to help with improving the process.

I'm not from Mexico, and have little idea as to what's going on over there. But it is obvious there are special interests in the way of doing the right thing for the country.

KingK

I have mixed feelings about this. The national company was already corrupt and underserving the Mexican people. Here's to hoping the corporations will be better, I guess? (lol)

Yeah, that's basically how I feel about this.

We have private investment in Norway but we tax all oil revenues with 78%. If they adopt a similar system in Mexico I don't see how it would be bad for the country.

I didn't know Norway did that (I thought they had a nationalized oil industry), but that actually sounds like the best idea to me. I wish the US did that, rather than literally giving oil companies tax dollars in addition to their huge profits.
lol maybe in a thousand years

ЯAW

Banned
Considering how crooked the current petro industry is there, I don't see things getting worse. Just tax and regulate.

jerry1594

ЯAW;93584651 said:
Considering how crooked the current petro industry is there, I don't see things getting worse. Just tax and regulate.
Tax and regulate isn't going to do anything when the regulators are crooks.

Rayis

This seems like it's going to benefit corporations and the Mexican government much more than the Mexican people. Lazaro Cardenas must be rolling in his grave.

Dai101

Banned
I'm so mad i want to kick kittens and punch babies.......

El Tata Lazaro ya ha de haber llegado a China .......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom