• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS3 Demo out 27th August

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, my younger sibling works for EB and they were recently told that Microsoft is planning on distributing a Halo 2 demo through EB stores exclusively (during September). EB already has recieved exclusive action figures for Halo 2, so perhaps they were chosen as an outlet for H2 hype? :p

That's really all the confirmation I have on the subject, but I certainly hope it pans out...

Laurent

Why would Konami need to outlet Microsoft? Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is on PlayStation 2 while Halo 2 is on X-Box. Are there lots of X-Box and PS2 owners that have to chose between both of those must-have titles?!

evil ways

Has anybody got a confirmation from Gamestop themselves and not just some random guy on an IGN board claiming to be a Gamestop employee?

I went to 2 different Gamestops last night, one told me they didn't know anything about that, the other said the same but the girl there was nice enough to ask the manager but he said he hasn't hear anything about it but that maybe I heard wrong and that his guess is a demo could be packed with Nanobreaker or Silent Hill 4.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
evil ways said:
Has anybody got a confirmation from Gamestop themselves and not just some random guy on an IGN board claiming to be a Gamestop employee?

I went to 2 different Gamestops last night, one told me they didn't know anything about that, the other said the same but the girl there was nice enough to ask the manager but he said he hasn't hear anything about it but that maybe I heard wrong and that his guess is a demo could be packed with Nanobreaker or Silent Hill 4.

Thanks for asking around, but it sounds like he didn't know what he was talking about himself. Nanobreaker comes out after Metal Gear Solid 3, so I don't see how that would help anyone out. And Silent Hill 4 already has the soundtrack coming with it.

I guess I should call all the stores around me to be perfectly sure...and then call again the day before to be extra sure...and then call on my way there to be extra extra sure. :p

I doubt it's coming with any game. Didn't OPM just announce recently that they're going to have the demo for the October issue (which will be out in September)? I guess it could come with Neo Contra, although there's no way i'm waiting that long to play it. :p

evil ways

I had a feeling the manager guy was pretty clueless when he asked me "For PS2 or Xbox?".

Thing is if this turns out to be true, about the demo, I always end up getting screwed over, cause nobody knows anything, but the damn discs arrive at the store by surprise and the damn employees and managers hoard them and put one for display on the console, leaving just a few for customers.

It happened with the Smackdown 3 demo and the Star Wars Arcade disc that was supposed to be given out with Rebel Strike. So now I'll stalk Gamestop between thursday and friday just to be sure, if not then I guess I'll have to dish the $7.99 for the magazine.

Yeah I asked two GameStop employees about it...They had no clue...They first told me, that you only get it if you pre-order 10 games, just being dicks. Then they said, actually, I think we're only getting one in. I told them I'd come back. I won't because I was in Rochester, and I live 2 and a half hours away...

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I looked in our computer

it says Premium (this means preorder bonus) metal gear solid 3 konami demo 8/26/04 which means we get it on the 27th

AssMan

Banned
Gamestop said that the demo isn't even completed yet so it could be coming the first week of September at the latest.

evil ways

sp0rsk said:
I looked in our computer

it says Premium (this means preorder bonus) metal gear solid 3 konami demo 8/26/04 which means we get it on the 27th

You're not just fucking around aren't you?

In that case, it's nice to know it's for real.

ohmycar

It's a Konami sampler disc that includes pretty much everything but an MGS3 demo--at least according to the ad they're running in a few magazines.

ohmycar

Says playable demos for King Arthur, TMNT 2, Rumble Roses, Neo Contra, and SH4. There are also trailers for Nanobreaker, Gradius, Suikoden 4, Y's, Karaoke Rev, and DDR.

Thanks.

Well, a demo for Contra and TMNT2 would be pretty cool, but I won't be losing any sleep if I can't get this disc in Canada.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
sweet. i'd much rather have a neo contra demo than an mgs3 demo. i hope it encompasses both of the e3 demo levels. i'll preorder mgs3 and then cancel it later.

evil ways

Well I guess that's nice, to have Neo Contra and Rumble Roses playable, but I'm still hoping it's a mistake and there's a playable MGS3 included on the disc.

Either way I won't complain, since we'll supposedly get MGS3 on the next OPM.

AssMan

Banned
So no playable MGS3 demo? What kind of clip joint are these companies running here? Oh well. When the new OPM comes out i'll just go to the grocery store and steal the demo disc out of the magazine!

AssMan said:
So no playable MGS3 demo? What kind of clip joint are these companies running here? Oh well. When the new OPM comes out i'll just go to the grocery store and steal the demo disc out of the magazine!

Can you please steal one for me too?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
What the hell? All that confirmation and we aren't getting a MGS3 demo. Well Im pissed...very pissed.

evil ways

Laurent said:
Next OPM = Which month?

Not sure, since issues are usually 1 or 2 months ahead of their actual release, but it's supposed to be the issue that ships around September 20 something.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
EDIT2: ^^^^ premiumpremiumpremiumpremium

evil ways said:

I will try to find out more at work tonight.

EDIT: looks like sp0rsk already saw the premium in the computer.

I will double check for any of you fuckers that would dare not believe sp0rsk at his word though.

Simo

I called the GameStop here in Madison, Wisconsin yesterday to confirm if they were getting the demo or not and the manager specifically said they'd be receiving the MGS3 demo on Thursday and that I'd actually be able to come into the store the following afternoon to receive one.

If that helps or not..

Grizzlyjin

Simo said:
I called the GameStop here in Madison, Wisconsin yesterday to confirm if they were getting the demo or not and the manager specifically said they'd be receiving the MGS3 demo on Thursday and that I'd actually be able to come into the store the following afternoon to receive one.

If that helps or not..

But is it really a demo of Metal Gear Solid 3? Or just a demo that comes with a Metal Gear Solid 3 pre-order? Thats what I would like to know.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Grizzlyjin said:
But is it really a demo of Metal Gear Solid 3? Or just a demo that comes with a Metal Gear Solid 3 pre-order? Thats what I would like to know.
They are not just doing Konami a favor. You get the demo if you pre-order the game.

EDIT: I apologize for tone. I missunderstood what you were asking. Yes this is a demo that you would be able to take home, not something (at least not exclusively) found in the kiosk. :)

AssMan

Banned
Again, my GS said they haven't completed the demo and wants to make sure that there aren't any problems with the demo that could effect the final build or something like that so maybe there's still a chance of it being an actual demo instead of random crap thrown onto the disc.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
AssMan said:
Again, my GS said they haven't completed the demo and wants to make sure that there aren't any problems with the demo that could effect the final build or something like that so maybe there's still a chance of it being an actual demo instead of random crap thrown onto the disc.
Your Gamestop is stupid and doesn't know what they are talking about. The demo was finished months ago.

Laurent

MetatronM said:
Your Gamestop is stupid and doesn't know what they are talking about. The demo was finished months ago.
How can they possibly be about to finish a demo that should have been burned a while ago? You can't get a huge quantity of DVD burned that fast unless the gold master was given a while ago...

evil ways

AssMan said:

Your Gamestop knows jack shit. The demo that will be offered both in pre-orders and in the OPM will probably be the one that was playable at E3.

I find it funny that a store, no less is trying to pass off bullshit information concerning something they have no knowledge about or involvement in.

That sounds like the same garbage they used to give me whenever I didn't pre-order a game back in the day "Oh, we talked to the game company and if you don't pre-order WWF No Mercy, you won't be able to get it until January 2001, because they haven't had time to finish all the copies of the game".

Premium items don't usually ship overnight either (from my reserve expreriences). Even if there is a demo, I wouldn't expect it to arrive until the following week. But, who knows.

AssMan

Banned
Gamefaqs are sure excited about this demo. Some of the people are already getting ready to write a FAQ about the demo. =\

Simo

I called GameStop a day or 2 ago to try and confirm if they were getting it or not given the uncertainty of some and the guy had no clue what I was talking about.

Low and behold I call back today and this time the guy I spoke to seemed to know all about it and said they were expecting it to come in but it most definatly would NOT be arriving today and to call back tomorrow. So I guess it's still up in there air at this point...

Grizzlyjin

Marconelly said:
So, did anyone check if it's in today?

I'm about to call now. If they have it then I'll leave right away.

Grizzlyjin

Simo said:
Someone at the IGN boards confirmed it wasn't a playable MGS3 demo but just the Konami Demo pack:
http://boards.ign.com/Metal_Gear_Solid/b5200/66238895/?31

Apparently EB are offering the same deal.

Thanks for telling me. If its just the demo pack, I'll just wait until tomorrow and pick it up. I really want to try out Neo Contra and Rumble Roses.

evil ways

Looks like it was either a hoax or a mistake. Went in at lunch, Gamestop had nothing and they weren't expecting any demo or any sort of pre-order extras or gifts for MGS3.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
I called our local GameStop today and they said they wouldn't have it in until next week. It's gonna be a long wait.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
did anything ever come of this? i want some neo contra demo action! or i'd settle for an mgs3 demo! really whichever!

Jagernaut

drohne said:
did anything ever come of this? i want some neo contra demo action! or i'd settle for an mgs3 demo! really whichever!

There is a MGS3 EBGames ad in the new OPM (DefJam FFNY cover) that advertises a Free Konami Sampler Disc when you preorder MGS3.

Playable
King Arthur
TMNT 2
Rumble Roses
Neo Contra
Silent Hill 4

Trailers
Nanobreaker
Gradius
Suikoden V
Y's
Kraoke Revolution 3