• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

midway arcade treasures 2 is unmitigated crap!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
is there anything halfway playable on this disc besides total carnage? and i guess mortal kombat 2? i can't believe i used to enjoy a lot of these games. that i stuffed pit fighter and cyberball and narc with quarters. at least the first one had marble madness going for it. :/

i thought it was a steal at $10. 50 cents a game. but i still feel ripped off.

BenT

It's funny how we perceive value.

Say you only care about Total Carnage and Mortal Kombat II. You paid 5 bucks for each -- the price of a rental. Is that not a great value? I imagine you'd be happy if it was sold as Mortal Kombat II / Total Carnage Double Pakk, yet you feel ripped off since there are 18 or so other games you don't like that are also included.

Humans are funny. ^_^

drohne

cut that down to just total carnage -- i don't like mortal kombat 2, but it's a competent game, and i wouldn't want to damn it by association with an execrable gameplay vacuum like, say, primal rage. and i don't like total carnage enough to pay $10 for it. i bought the compilation for a shot of cheap nostalgia. instead it detonated that nostalgia. these games are better left as memories.

DrLazy

M3wThr33 said:
I own Rampage World Tour Beanie Plushies. I like Rampage and Gauntlet, but no one else does. :(

I agree with Drohne as far as Rampage and Gauntlet go, I loved rampage when I was a kid, but when I played it on MAC 1, I realized how repetitive and shitty it is.

Some of the simple yet challenging games still held up though; like joust, klax, and robotron.

drohne

oh, i actually liked quite a few games on the first compilation, though marble madness is the obvious spot of brilliance. i guess that didn't come off in the first post. joust and robotron certainly hold up well.

belgurdo

Banned
Like in the first collection and like Drohne and DrLazy, I hated the "showcase" titles, but ended up playing the shit out of Xybots and Xenophobe.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I played a friends copy around ten minutes ago and had a small spot of fun. Total Carnage was definately the showstopper. Glad it features SNES style compass shooting to complement the dual stick layout.

Rampage is pretty hilarious...for about ten minutes. World Tour is definately improved over the first game, but the experience is pretty draining.

MK2 and 3 made for some fun quick bouts.

APB controls like crap, the minute long Primal Rage easter egg reel is more entertaining than playing the game.

Didn't have time to get into Xenophobe which is one of the games I was most looking forward to. Might be for the better so as not to dash my hopes of it standing the test of time. My friend didn't even let me try Narc again given the poorly implemented controls.

SickBoy

I've played at least a half dozen games of Cyberball so far... still havin' fun. Haven't even touched Total Carnage yet. I do wish MK (original) was on the disc, though, because it's the only one I know how to do anything in.

Ranger X

Some games are good to play again, some don't. Many on this compilation just don't.
Personally i was hoping for a decent Hard Driving home version --- i was so stupid to even think it would come close to the arcade...

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Boy, some folks are bitter.

Gauntlet II -- always fun if you play with 3 other people.

Rampage: World Tour -- good when played with a group.

Arch Rivals -- I didn't care for this, but my sports-loving brother-in-law can't stop playing it.

Total Carnage -- fun for a while... although the amount of $$$ I would have had to pump into this game really scares me.

Xenophobe -- I think I like it, but I need more time.

APB is a game I really want to figure out, as I have memories of playing it in an arcade ages ago. Wizard of Wor is nifty just because it's one of the few old arcade titles I've never gotten my hands on before. Pitfighter, Primal Rage, and both MK titles won't be touched by me.

Wyzdom said:
Personally i was hoping for a decent Hard Driving home version --- i was so stupid to even think it would come close to the arcade...
What's wrong with Hard Drivin'? I only played it a few times in the arcades, and the MAT2 version seems much the same... I never cared for it much, so I wouldn't be able to distinguish any changes.

drohne

Mejilan said:
Ok, so it's crap. But is it REALLY unmitigated? :D

you're right, of course -- it's actually crap mitigated, however slightly, by total carnage. :/

Ranger X

DavidDayton said:
What's wrong with Hard Drivin'? I only played it a few times in the arcades, and the MAT2 version seems much the same... I never cared for it much, so I wouldn't be able to distinguish any changes.

Well, part of it is my bad because this game is unplayable without a wheel.
Also, if i remember right, on arcade treasure 2 it's just 30 fps but at the arcade it was 60 fps...

Top Bottom