• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MiSTer FPGA clone triple stack ordering open soons...worth the spend?

VGEsoterica

Because while I 100% think the current MiSTer offerings at their price point as a deal considering what you get for your money I also totally understand everyone's budget is different and if someone can get into MiSTer for $160 plus shipping that would DEF expand the user base and the more people at the party the merrier right?

Taki Udon, the YouTube reviewer dude partnered with some people to clone the Terasic DE-10 and produce their own USB and IO boards / RAM and are putting a price tag of $160 on the whole affair which is below the cost of just a Terasic made DE-10. So if its everything its promised to be....hell of a deal.

So I took a look at everything and it's an optimistic outlook. Will def review it once its out but in the meantime...if you've been fence sitting on MiSTer now might be the time (or not? Don't yell at me if there's a problem with these somewhere...I've got nothing to do with it and zero skin in the game)

StereoVsn

Because while I 100% think the current MiSTer offerings at their price point as a deal considering what you get for your money I also totally understand everyone's budget is different and if someone can get into MiSTer for $160 plus shipping that would DEF expand the user base and the more people at the party the merrier right?

Taki Udon, the YouTube reviewer dude partnered with some people to clone the Terasic DE-10 and produce their own USB and IO boards / RAM and are putting a price tag of $160 on the whole affair which is below the cost of just a Terasic made DE-10. So if its everything its promised to be....hell of a deal.

So I took a look at everything and it's an optimistic outlook. Will def review it once its out but in the meantime...if you've been fence sitting on MiSTer now might be the time (or not? Don't yell at me if there's a problem with these somewhere...I've got nothing to do with it and zero skin in the game)

Can’t wait. I will get the full stack version, but I really want to see the handheld.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've always been interested in Mister, but have always been put off by the price and build complexity. If there is something that's $160 and has everything included, I'm all in.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I got my MiSTer at full pre-built price (around $600) and it has been worth absolutely every penny! Being able to get this for $160 is just insane. Pair it with a nice CRT and you’ve got the best retro gaming experience, short of RGB modding each individual console.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Stocking up on CRT monitors these last few years and waiting on FPGA turned out to be a great idea after all! I have my dream monitor the Dell Trinitron p991 and a few more decent ones just sitting around this news is right on time!

StereoVsn

Stocking up on CRT monitors these last few years and waiting on FPGA turned out to be a great idea after all! I have my dream monitor the Dell Trinitron p991 and a few more decent ones just sitting around this news is right on time!
I would love a CRT, but it’s too much of a hassle to maintain long term.

IMO, a modern OLED coupled with a good upscaler like Retrotink 5x (or 4K lol) is good enough, especially with judicial use of shaders.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I would love a CRT, but it’s too much of a hassle to maintain long term.

IMO, a modern OLED coupled with a good upscaler like Retrotink 5x (or 4K lol) is good enough, especially with judicial use of shaders.

I've learned how to deal with any software issues with WinDAS/SonyDAS and a USB to TTL Serial Adapter. So I can buy 'broken' high-end Trinitron's for cheap and fix/reset them. Any hardware issues I just toss the tube and move on. I refuse to open those things anymore. I went through a LOT of duds before I got my current collection of CRTs.

I def agree about OLED (Even some high end VA monitors) + a good upscaler being a better choice for most people.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Mars was always vaporware. They never provided any solid pics or info about the thing.

And now with the Mister clones arriving, the Mars is dead in the water, just like the PolyMega.
Damn, is that true? My dream FPGA supports the Sega Model 2, 3, and even NAOMI boards. I hope someday we have powerful enough FPGAs to get that complex.

I guess my ultimate dream FPGA supports everything pre-HD era. It’d be amazing to get up to Triforce and Namco System 256 someday. (Which I guess would mean GameCube and PS2 as well.)

The MiSTer is obviously great for playing console games, but its real value (for me at least) are the arcade cores, and playing them on a real CRT. It makes me feel like I have my own arcade in my game room, and most of the games are either perfect, or perceptibly perfect to the average person.

VGEsoterica VGEsoterica What arcade cores are currently in development for MiSTer that may be exciting? Anything on the horizon?

Last edited:

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
Sigh..

Taki has delayed the launch of these Mister clones by three months because of a "misspelling" on the ram modules. 😞

Last edited:
Top Bottom