• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MiSTer FPGA gets a Philips CD-i core...because CD-i exists so why not

VGEsoterica

Definitely not going to hit the news cycles the way way the N64 core, the Sega Saturn core or the PSX core did on MiSTer FPGA but hey doesn't every piece of hardware deserve preservation in FPGA form? Especially the expensive consoles you def DONT wan to buy because honestly they might not be 100% worth it?

Well today is day zero of a WIP Philips CD-i core so everyone go play Hotel Mario because that a) works and b) is kinda worth it if I am being honest

Curious who here even HAS a CD-i?

Crayon

Is there any worthwhile games for this abomination?

No. I think there were only two games that gamers at least took seriously. Burn:Cycle and Chaos Control. It wasn't even a real console. It was like some kind of video cd player first.

I've been following retro gaming for a long time and somehow I've never spent any time trying to learn anything about the CD-i besides knowing about the weird Zelda and Mario titles. Guess it's time to finally check it out.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I enjoyed Tetris on the CDi, it's got an extremely chill soundtrack and cool digital backgrounds of like tranquil locations. Controls kinda sucked (especially with the little pad things this used to come with) but it's alright especially emulated.

The Apprentice (no it has nothing to do with the game show or current presidential candidates) was also fun as I recall. Side scrolling / platformer. Pretty terrible frame rate if I remember correctly, but I guess with Mister it'll be a 1:1 and still terrible. I just looked up on Youtube and apparently that game had cheat codes that showed you naked pixel art girls - wish I would have known that back in the day!

I used to like Laser Lords a lot - but I'm sure it's aged terribly. Same with the CD-i version of Jeopardy: lots of voice acting which was novel at the time, but not exactly the best way to play the game now.

Then there are the usual Zelda and Mario games that Nintendo has tried desperately to scrub from the internet for decades. The usual stuff like Burn:Cycle and Chaos Control like Crayon Crayon mentioned, and ports from other systems that almost always ran objectively worse on the CD-i.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
No. I think there were only two games that gamers at least took seriously. Burn:Cycle and Chaos Control. It wasn't even a real console. It was like some kind of video cd player first.

I remember playing a demo station of this as a kid in a Nobody Beats The Wiz and thinking it was a huge piece of shit

Crayon

I remember playing a demo station of this as a kid in a Nobody Beats The Wiz and thinking it was a huge piece of shit

I saw chaos control running and thought it was amazing lol. At that age ~13 or so, I was WILDY optimistic about every new console in the world. 3DO, Virtual Boy, everything. There were just so many coming out and I thought it was going to be like having 10 segas and nintendos.

But like so many childhood dreams...

Crayon

I've been following retro gaming for a long time and somehow I've never spent any time trying to learn anything about the CD-i besides knowing about the weird Zelda and Mario titles. Guess it's time to finally check it out.

This was the controller:

Philips-CDi-Stick-Remote-RV6701-00.webp

image-asset.png

Ulysses 31

7th Guest and Myst had improved visuals compared to their PC versions.

Crayon

7th Guest and Myst had improved visuals compared to their PC versions.

I think you needed the expansion card to get the good full screen video. :/ 100 more bucks.

I remember 7th guest being hot for quite a while because of pack-ins with cd rom hardware. Was it a little old by time it hit CD-i or was it still poppin? I don't remember it getting much advertising but then again, nothing really did on CD-i. Burn Cycle and Chaos control were the only games I every saw actually advertised.

Hmm lemme google this out.

CD-i: 1991
7th guest: 1993 INCLUDING CDi.

Yep so that would have been the best version of it right from the go or at least close to it. And everyone wanted that game. So yah that's a pretty good feather in the cap. At least back then.

VGEsoterica

I think you needed the expansion card to get the good full screen video. :/ 100 more bucks.

I remember 7th guest being hot for quite a while because of pack-ins with cd rom hardware. Was it a little old by time it hit CD-i or was it still poppin? I don't remember it getting much advertising but then again, nothing really did on CD-i. Burn Cycle and Chaos control were the only games I every saw actually advertised.

Hmm lemme google this out.

CD-i: 1991
7th guest: 1993 INCLUDING CDi.

Yep so that would have been the best version of it right from the go or at least close to it. And everyone wanted that game. So yah that's a pretty good feather in the cap. At least back then.
7th Guest is an awesome game no matter the platform

Crayon

7th Guest is an awesome game no matter the platform

Our CD-ROM/SoundBlaster addon came packed with 7th Guest, Battle Chess (with the voices), and some kind of Arthur game. I think....

MV5BYmU0ZWJjMTMtZmJiZi00OTM3LWI3MDItNzg0YmM3ZDRmMGQ1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDI5Njk2Mzc@._V1_.jpg

Arthur's Teacher Trouble.

Too bad that family computer was just shy of playing the really badass games to come. If it had 4 more mb and a dx2-50 I would have been able to squeak by with mech2 and wing commander 3 among others.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Definitely not going to hit the news cycles the way way the N64 core, the Sega Saturn core or the PSX core did on MiSTer FPGA but hey doesn't every piece of hardware deserve preservation in FPGA form? Especially the expensive consoles you def DONT wan to buy because honestly they might not be 100% worth it?

Well today is day zero of a WIP Philips CD-i core so everyone go play Hotel Mario because that a) works and b) is kinda worth it if I am being honest

Curious who here even HAS a CD-i?

Me

VGEsoterica

Our CD-ROM/SoundBlaster addon came packed with 7th Guest, Battle Chess (with the voices), and some kind of Arthur game. I think....

MV5BYmU0ZWJjMTMtZmJiZi00OTM3LWI3MDItNzg0YmM3ZDRmMGQ1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDI5Njk2Mzc@._V1_.jpg

Arthur's Teacher Trouble.

Too bad that family computer was just shy of playing the really badass games to come. If it had 4 more mb and a dx2-50 I would have been able to squeak by with mech2 and wing commander 3 among others.
I swear 7th Guest was the pack in for everything for awhile

nkarafo

I'm not aware of any worthwhile exclusive CDi games. But it probably has a few decent versions of some popular FMV games such as The 7th Guest. I'm sure back in the day this particular game would be a treat for someone who doesn't have an expensive mid-90's multimedia PC.

Elfstar

Bro your channel was way more interesting before it became a continuous MiSTer shilling machine...

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Some may call it an abomination but to last from 1991-1998 is some going even though the competition wiped the floor with it so to speak ....also it showed Sega how FMV should look like, not an eye-sore like it did on the Sega/Mega CD..the best "games" on the system are arguably Tetris and Burn Cycle...had the CD-i got "high-quality" ports of the Nintendo games like Zelda (imagine the SNES version on the CD-I but with red-book audio) it would have made the system HUGELY popular....but Phillips didn't give a dam much less Nintendo...

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

Bro your channel was way more interesting before it became a continuous MiSTer shilling machine...
if only "Big MiSTer" sent me those shilling product checks!

the channel has tons of content unrelated to FPGA. But I enjoy FPGA and have been involved in the community for over four years. Just kinda one of my interest points

RCX

if only "Big MiSTer" sent me those shilling product checks!

the channel has tons of content unrelated to FPGA. But I enjoy FPGA and have been involved in the community for over four years. Just kinda one of my interest points
Digging your Ridge Racer retrospective at the moment. Looking forward to your take on the PSP games (particularly #2)

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Please excuse my noobiness, but where/how do you get this and other WIP cores? Run update_all and enable all unofficial cores?

s_mirage

Some may call it an abomination but to last from 1991-1998 is some going even though the competition wiped the floor with it so to speak ....also it showed Sega how FMV should look like, not an eye-sore like it did on the Sega/Mega CD..the best "games" on the system are arguably Tetris and Burn Cycle...had the CD-i got "high-quality" ports of the Nintendo games like Zelda (imagine the SNES version on the CD-I but with red-book audio) it would have made the system HUGELY popular....but Phillips didn't give a dam much less Nintendo...

I'm not sure how hugely popular it would have been given that it's apparently severely underpowered.

Yes, it could show a lot of colours simultaneously for the time, but it was really designed more for "multimedia" applications than games. I'm not sure high quality SNES ports would even have been possible considering it doesn't even seem capable of doing something as basic as parallax scrolling.

alienator

Totally coincidental, i worked on a brand new CD-i release (which basically is an ambient album with a 30 minute cgi movie) for the german retro artist Remute, released like 2 weeks ago. i was looking to buy a cd-i player but given the fact they die when u look at them, im very happy with the release of this core on the mister fpga!

VGEsoterica

Totally coincidental, i worked on a brand new CD-i release (which basically is an ambient album with a 30 minute cgi movie) for the german retro artist Remute, released like 2 weeks ago. i was looking to buy a cd-i player but given the fact they die when u look at them, im very happy with the release of this core on the mister fpga!
I saw that had come out. Talk about timing

RAIDEN1

I'm not sure how hugely popular it would have been given that it's apparently severely underpowered.

Yes, it could show a lot of colours simultaneously for the time, but it was really designed more for "multimedia" applications than games. I'm not sure high quality SNES ports would even have been possible considering it doesn't even seem capable of doing something as basic as parallax scrolling.
Well the fact that Phillips didn't pull the plug sooner, goes to show that was SOME level of demand for it, otherwise it could have had the shelf-life of a Dreamcast...but to this day I never knew that it was that incapable of even doing parallax scrolling...surprising to know..

RCX

The one you played as zelda topdown was good fun and it looked really good back in the day.

Hating on the cdi is so fucking youtuber gaming channel cliché
Seriously? I was there when this machine was being sold for insane money for games with 1000 times less gameplay than an average megadrive game.

The "zelda" games were absolute shit and remain so.

Last edited:
Top Bottom