• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MiSTer FPGA Saturn core hits a milestone; 100% accuracy compared to real hardware with SCSP

VGEsoterica

After nearly two years of iterations, core updates, code updates, a whole new RAM component rewrite, the dev Srg320 living in and then evacuating Ukraine and many other updates the Sega Saturn MiSTer FPGA core hit a big accuracy milestone today; a 100% "pass" on the SCSPtest. This is something no Saturn software emulator can yet achieve (and that's not a knock against software emulation. Saturn has really progressed a huge amount in the last few years compared to where it once was)

so now the FPGA core sits along side real Saturn hardware when it comes to this set of tests and even some Saturn hardware with slight issues can technically fail a test or two and still play games fine. Just a huge win for gaming preservation and Saturn preservation in general

I know I am not the only Saturn fan here on GAF so I am sure some others will be stoked to hear the news

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It's cool for the future for sure. Right I'm just glad the saroo exist. I ripped all my games. So nice!

Krikzz is another great thing that exist for retro gamers.

VGEsoterica

It's cool for the future for sure. Right I'm just glad the saroo exist. I ripped all my games. So nice!

It’s great to have options. I’ve got my Saturn right next to my PVM with the Saroo and my MiSTer for testing. The more Saturn the better!

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I can't wait for 10 years when this FPGA hardware manages to perfectly replicate Dreamcast, Wii, Gamecube, PS2, and others- even 7th gen systems like Xbox 360 and PS3. Old console clones will be able to easily be created DIY with a Mister. It'll be like the Famiclones all over again but for less geriatric gaming systems

Radical_3d

isekai-ojisan-uncle-from-another-world.gif

Time to play Guardian Heroes with a new generation of players.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
This makes me feel a lot better about passing on a Saturn dev kit with a built in region switch back in the day.

Thank goodness the emulation/fpga/preservation situation with Saturn has gotten much better
because in the late 2000s I thought we were going to have to keep buying and fixing old Saturns forever!

Futaleufu

I can't wait for 10 years when this FPGA hardware manages to perfectly replicate Dreamcast, Wii, Gamecube, PS2, and others- even 7th gen systems like Xbox 360 and PS3. Old console clones will be able to easily be created DIY with a Mister. It'll be like the Famiclones all over again but for less geriatric gaming systems
From what I've read newer systems get exponentially more complicated due to 3D video hardware

P.Jack

A bit off-topic but this is the first I’m hearing of Saroo. Seems like a good option, I’ve been meaning to buy a Satiator but this is way cheaper! Is compatibility good?

And yes, Krikzz is king, pretty much got the whole line-up. The Turbo Everdrive is one if the best gaming related purchases I’ve ever made.

VGEsoterica

Unbelievable achievement. I never thought the Mister would achieve 100% accuracy with Saturn so I ended up buying a Japanese Saturn with Fenrir.

Now for Dreamcast. ;)
Dreamcast will happen one day but on the next generation of affordable FPGA hardware. I bet you see it 2028 if I had to guess

Top Bottom