• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MiSTer N64 core reaches a milestone; 100% of retail games can be played and beaten

VGEsoterica

100% compatibility of the N64 console library isn't anything to sneeze that's for sure but with some patches for the last few games that caused issues the N64 FPGA core now can play and you can beat start to finish every retail N64 game ever made (plus plenty of fan rom hacks but those really don't count if they don't work as so many don't function properly on real hardware either)

And sure the last few games were Rugrats in Paris (a small timing issue that needed to be fixed) and Knife Edge (a game most people will struggle to remember even EXISTED on the N64) but a milestone is a milestone and it's one hell of an accomplishment to be able to make an N64 in FPGA HDL and Verilog code and get to that level of sophistication as the N64 isn't exactly the simplest console out there.

And I am sure more tweaks will be coming as well to address a few lingering issues (WCW wrestling games run a tiny bit fast, Duck Dodgers cutscene audio can desync) but that 100% feels like a nice round number

Updates hit yesterday evening so if you have a MiSTer and you haven't updated it yet now is the time

Krathoon

Gold Member
The core does indeed feel like an N64. I gave Mario 64 a spin. I even used an original N64 controller.
The core does need an option to double the resolution.

Seider

Can this N64 core be used in Pc emulation?

Id like to see a N64 emulator in Windows with this grade of compatibility.

Krathoon

Gold Member
Can this N64 core be used in Pc emulation?

Id like to see a N64 emulator in Windows with this grade of compatibility.
Yeah. It would be great if they could carry it over into Retroarch.

Still, the core in Retroarch is pretty good now. At least the PC version is.

Krathoon

Gold Member
To use an original N64 controller, all you need is a usb adapter and just map the controlls.

It is pretty much plug and play.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
so this is like a dedicated hardware/console made by him to play n64 roms? ok that's neat
MiSTer is hardware that can be reprogrammed (with "cores") to play a large variety of consoles from yesteryear. Basically anything up through PS1 can be done with hardware emulation (rather than the traditional software emulation that's been around on PCs for ages).

Krathoon

Gold Member
Really, it is way easier to use an N64 controller with MiSTer than it is Retroarch.

I had to make some stick sensitivity adjustments on Retroarch.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
I always have weird controller issues with Retroarch. Your XBox One and PS5 controllers are Plug and Play, but Retrobit contollers act weird sometimes.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I always have weird controller issues with Retroarch. Your XBox One and PS5 controllers are Plug and Play, but Retrobit contollers act weird sometimes.

Retrobit is the problem lots of little inconsistent issues and lag I'm about to sell my sega saturn ones soon along with my genesis mini

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Impressive how far they've come in a relatively short time. I'm still not fully sold on switching to FPGA from my current emulation set up, but a lot of that comes down to UI and curation, honestly.

fersnake

MiSTer is hardware that can be reprogrammed (with "cores") to play a large variety of consoles from yesteryear. Basically anything up through PS1 can be done with hardware emulation (rather than the traditional software emulation that's been around on PCs for ages).

Nop, Mister can play way more libraries than just N64 games. Pretty much all well know systems up to Saturn and PSX1.

i always looked the threads but didnt got into it and didnt know what it was thanks for clarify it.

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
All 14 of them?

triggered.png

StereoVsn

I am waiting for Taki Udon’s clone hardware, but overall MisTer is pretty great now. Saturn core development is going really well.

Top Bottom