• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mitsubishi is killing off the Lancer Evolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 1992 Lancer Evolution
1992-mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-I.jpg
so cute ;_;

Kanyon

Well this stinks... In my younger days I had both an GSR and a WRX and both were fantastic cars. Sucks that Mitsubishi are giving up on the Evolution, great car to drive.

My dream car has always been a 1995 Evolution 3 GSR, still looking for one in good condition but are rare as anything these days.

J-Rzez

My 04 Evo 8 has held its value incredibly well. The other day I was checking out its value and the asking price of private sales and was shocked. Now its going to only go up in price, especially mine being BBY and having the SSL package. I've owned it since new and got bored with it, so its time to go onto someone else who will finish it off as the monster it can be.

Now its time to pick between a new WRX or Mustang. Can't wait for the NYIAS to see what wins me over.

RIP to a truly legit Hero car...

ameratsu

This has to be April Fools bullshit. There's no way they'll kill the defining car of the brand.

this can't be real

Didn't expect this at all. My fiancee has the newest model and it's a great car. Oh well I guess.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/confidential/mitsubishi-ditch-evo-evs

The writing has been on the wall for years now. I can't see anyone who had actually been paying attention to be surprised by an official cancellation.

FTF

It should be the opposite, kill off the entire line but the Evo. Oh and bring back the 3000 VR4.

psylah

Fuck this.

No wonder the new STi is a bland heap this gen, they knew they wouldn't have competition soon enough.

DoubleTap

I don't understand why they never had two models, like the WRX and STI. They would have sold a lot more Evos if they weren't all the equivalent of the STI.

They sort of do. The Lancer Ralliart. Only problem with it, is it only comes in a Twin clutch Auto Transmission.

2009-mitsubishi-lancer-ralliart-1.jpg

rrs

If they do pull out, my town is 25% fucked. I really gotta get out of here.

They would still make cars for the export market, but if they go out of the market in more places it could be curtains for the plant

BearPawB

Banned
I love cars with a rally look to them. Boxy and beautiful.

Evo and STI are beautiful, and it will be disappointing to have them not competing anymore.

psylah

So Subbie has the market to themselves... geez... the new WRX is only 26k and a hell-of-a machine at that.

I'd still take the fender-flared third generation WRX sedan over the new one, they look great. The new WRX's design has all the passion of a Geo Metro.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The sports car offerings from Japan just keep getting slimmer and slimmer. Two door coupes of any kind are disappearing as well. I love my 2013 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L but it's sad because there aren't many other cars quite like it. Gen Coupe maybe?

Nissan already killed off the Altima coupe, the 370z has become outrageously (hilariously) priced and are dragging their feet on the successor.

All hail the Mustang/Challenger/Camaro only future I guess.

I'd still take the fender-flared third generation WRX sedan over the new one, they look great. The new WRX's design has all the passion of a Geo Metro.

new wrx's always look like ass, until the next one comes out, then that one is somehow more assy while the previous one looks ok.

Hell I remember back in the early 90's wanting things like the Evo and Skyline to be sold in the US, so I 'm just kinda surprised they even did it in the first place.

Two of my cars had being Mitsubishi's (mirages just to be exact) and they where some of the worst cars I've owned. The second one left me walking more than 50 times in the 8 years I had (broke down at least twice a month). Thought it was also one of the most resilient cars I've even known, running years after it pretty much died.

abuC

Why, I don't know anyone that owns a Mitsu that isn't an Evo, I don't even know what the rest of their car lineup is.

Zolf

Damn, that sucks, I love my Evo X MR.

I feel bad for the Mitsubishi dealers, especially the ones around here that specialize in Evos.

Patrick S.

Banned
A few months ago, I was deciding between getting a '98 Impreza GT or an Evo IV with an Evo V engine.

I ended up going for the Impreza. The Impreza had been one of my dream cars since I was allowed to drive one in 1999 for the first time. I lived in a place where rallying was very popular, so all my friends and I adored this style of cars; not too big, bulky, big air intakes, light, loud, rally winner. I used to have a Renault Clio Williams and a Lancia Delta HF Integrale too, two other of my other all time favourites.

Then I had some money to buy an Impreza but I was seriously considering an Evo because they look so fucking brutal and are something much more special than an Impreza, but reading a few "Evo or Impreza" forum posts I learned that apparently the Evo is much more expensive to maintain, because for example you need to change some differential fluid every 4000 km, also spare parts are much more expensive of course, because the Evo was built in much lesser numbers. Apparently insurance is more expensive, too.

What the forums did agree on is that the Evo is a much better base for tuning and is easily tuned to 400 hp, while the Impreza GT like I have seems to only yield around 300 hp when tuning on the cheap, i.e. no different turbo, no different injectors, no forged pistons, plus the gearbox can only withstand around 380 lb of torque. Ten years ago, this would have had me going for the Evo, but honestly the power my Scooby has with just a 3" stainless steel exhaust and a mild remap is more than enough for me. I live in Germany and all, but Scoobies are just not made for the autobahn and it's no fun driving at 200+ km/h all the time. I don't even know how fast my car can go... But I loooooove this car on twisty b roads :)

TL;DR: The Evos were really awesome cars, it's a shame they are not building them anymore. Maybe they would not have been able to meet expectations with new, more strict emission laws and would have been too expensive to develop further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom