• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Postseason 2013 |OT| - Chicken n Beer-less Diet

beanman25

:)

Cardinals!!!

I can smell #13.

Down with Pittsburgh, now on to lala land.

Seriously though, good series. Pirates are a tough matchup.

rando14

pRtpRyQ.gif

Fucking Pirates, you had one job AGGGGGHHHHHH

Go, whoever wins tomorrow. Preferably Oakland. Hopefully The May version of Verlander shows up.

Damn, lifelongs en route, that was quick.

cards pitching scares me

dodgers are hitting pretty good right now though .. they had the highest team BA in a playoff series

although RISP can be worrisome

ryu/nolasco are the wild cards

Oh, hey. We're in the NLCS. Again.

Good series, Pirates-GAF. Hope your owner spends money in the offseason and keep you guys in contention for the next few seasons. The PNC crowds during these playoffs were a passionate bunch that deserve more than one winning season every two decades.

Well, Pirates. At least you got to play a full Playoff series, instead of the one-game wild card garbage we had even though we were the 4 seed =/

Fuck you Pirates. Useless punks. I am not confident in going up against the Cards at all.
This series should be a tough one for the Cards. On paper, probably the toughest NLCS matchup for us since 2006 (sorry Brewers-GAF, Giants-GAF).

It'll come down to who shows up to play. I hope Shelby got enough rest and Kelly can keep up his smokes-and-mirrors act for another two and a half weeks. I think the Cards lineup can eek out a few runs against Grienke/Kershaw but Puig/HanRam scare me.

Opiate

Good series Buc fans. That series could have gone either way.

Outside of extreme conditions, I feel pretty much every 5 game series is a coin toss.

It's a shame the Pirates were our first opponent; if anyone were to win besides us, I would have wanted it to be the Pirates. If a year ever occurs that the Cards are bad but the Pirates are good, I want Pirates fans to know I will be rooting with them.

Oh, hey. We're in the NLCS. Again.

Good series, Pirates-GAF. Hope your owner spends money in the offseason and keep you guys in contention for the next few seasons. The PNC crowds during these playoffs were a passionate bunch that deserve more than one winning season every two decades.

Agreed, and in stark opposition to Cleveland, where their success did not translate in to obvious enthusiasm either in their playoff game or in the regular season (my understanding is that Cleveland is dominated by Football, and this is not to discount the Indians fans in this particular thread). Pittsburgh, though, was clearly willing to be a baseball town. They just needed a reason to do so.

jakncoke

Banned
Outside of extreme conditions, I feel pretty much every 5 game series is a coin toss.

It's a shame the Pirates were our first opponent; if anyone were to win besides us, I would have wanted it to be the Pirates. If a year ever occurs that the Cards are bad but the Pirates are good, I want Pirates fans to know I will be rooting with them.

Agreed, and in stark opposition to Cleveland, where their success did not translate in to obvious enthusiasm either in their playoff game or in the regular season (my understanding is that Cleveland is dominated by Football, and this is not to discount the Indians fans in this particular thread). Pittsburgh, though, was clearly willing to be a baseball town. They just needed a reason to do so.

It really is, the Browns havent had real sustained success since the 80s and they still dominated the radio waves when I lived in Ohio. The attendance improved over the year for the Indians but still finished in garbo range considering the team success throughout the year.

I agree with this. I guess it's common for me to cheer for the underdogs though, so it's less to do with me liking the Pirates at all and more to do with me just wanting an underdog to win, in the event the Cards cannot win that is.

I never realized just how big Matt Adams is until last night. There were some shots of him next to Molina and Holliday and, damn, Adams dwarfs them. Just a big mother fucker.

Thaedolus

Well, looks like the Bucs' 8th inning last night was more of a knockout punch than ours was in Detroit...the A's at least got off the mat and scored a couple in the 9th.

I like the decision to go with Sonny Gray tonight. It's higher risk, higher reward...but that's really the hand you got to play when Verlander is on the mound.

BFIB

I agree with this. I guess it's common for me to cheer for the underdogs though, so it's less to do with me liking the Pirates at all and more to do with me just wanting an underdog to win, in the event the Cards cannot win that is.

I never realized just how big Matt Adams is until last night. There were some shots of him next to Molina and Holliday and, damn, Adams dwarfs them. Just a big mother fucker.

Just wait until Holliday gets him on his workout regimen.

I also agree w/ Opiate. Been a Cards fan my entire life, but this series really had me torn. Obviously, I want the Cards to succeed, but man, Hurdle has done a great job over in Pittsburgh. Had we lost, sure it would have stung, especially after going out the way we did last year. But I would have happily hopped on the Pirates bandwagon. And McCutchen is my favorite player to watch in the game right now. Pittsburgh is a team to be reckoned with, no doubt.

bozeman

You mean you didn't believe the TBS announcers the thousand times they talked about Matt Adams being huge and fat???

You mean you didn't believe the TBS announcers the thousand times they talked about Matt Adams being huge and fat???

I don't have TBS, was following the games via radio! Actually, I don't even get the Cardinal's main station around here since I don't pay for cable, so I've been following them all season via the radio and mlb's shitty GameDay thing, then I just catch some highlight videos after each game online.

And I mean, I knew the dude was big but "big" is relative. He's supposedly "only" 230 lbs but that seems surprisingly light for his size.

turnbuckle

Rays lose
Pirates lose

Those were my Plan B's if the Tigers aborted the playoffs.

The Tigers need to win or this will be the most depressing postseason since 2012.

harSon

Banned
I'm not as disappointed as I had expected to be after an early playoff exit. I suppose two decades of losing will do that to you. This was a hell of a season for the Pirates, and I won't soon forget it. I've always loved baseball, but this season definitely rekindled the passion I held for the sport as a young boy in Pittsburgh. I suppose ending a drought will do that to you.

Anyways, fun season, and for the first time in a long time I can say without a doubt in my mind that the Pirates' future looks bright. I'm not sure if we'll be quite as successful next season, and it wouldn't surprise me if we miss the playoffs, but I'm confident that at the very least, this type of season will be the norm in a year or two.

Thanks for the great season old friend! It'd been while.

BFIB

I'm not as disappointed as I had expected to be after an early playoff exit. I suppose two decades of losing will do that to you. This was a hell of a season for the Pirates, and I won't soon forget it. I've always loved baseball, but this season definitely rekindled the passion I held for the sport as a young boy in Pittsburgh. I suppose ending a drought will do that to you.

Anyways, fun season, and for the first time in a long time I can say without a doubt in my mind that the Pirates' future looks bright. I'm not sure if we'll be quite as successful next season, and it wouldn't surprise me if we miss the playoffs, but I'm confident that at the very least, this type of season will be the norm in a year or two.

Thanks for the great season old friend! It'd been while.

I think the Bucs will be right back into the thick of things next year. I'm sure Burnett is gone, but Cole is on track to be a legit ace. Huntington has been aggressive on the market, so I expect the Bucs to pull out a huge trade to shore up the rotation.

Cards won the central this year, which I'm happy about. But this Central is going to be a real fight for a long time coming. Comedy Central is gone!

eznark

Banned
The Cards are who The Rays want to be, you clown.

What the fuck are you on? If any player showed up to the Cardinals clubhouse in pajamas Molina, LaRussa, Matheny and Mozeliak would gang rape them. St. Louis is where combining drinking and driving is infinitely more acceptable than combining fun and baseball.

Cardinals are the anti-Rays.

Really?

I mean yeah it'd be nice if the Rays could suddenly double their team payroll to what the Cards spend.

How could they raise their payroll with an awful fanbase and playing in a dump of a stadium? So I don't know why you keep bitching about payrolls. The Cardinals are not going to give out ridiculous contracts like The Angels or Dodgers do.

harSon

Banned
I think the Bucs will be right back into the thick of things next year. I'm sure Burnett is gone, but Cole is on track to be a legit ace. Huntington has been aggressive on the market, so I expect the Bucs to pull out a huge trade to shore up the rotation.

Cards won the central this year, which I'm happy about. But this Central is going to be a real fight for a long time coming. Comedy Central is gone!

I'm not quite as hopeful. Our franchise is definitely a lot more willing to spend money, but I have a feeling the big spenders are going to inflate the market to a point where everything worthwhile will be prices outside our means. And I don't see us breaking the farm to fill the gaps, and unfortunately, we're going to have a lot more gaps heading into next season than we did in this one.

With Burnett leaving and Locke's regression, our rotation will only consist of Cole, Liriano and Morton. Wandy too, but he's been injury prone his last two seasons with the Pirates, so we can't really rely on him as a long term option. Tailon had his Arizona Fall League debut, and considering he's in AAA, there's a chance he makes it up to the MLB if he's lights out in his AAA stint, but realistically we're probably not going to see a Cole-Tailon rotation until the following season.

I doubt we keep our late season acquisitions (Byrd and Morneau). We're in desperate need of a 1st baseman since the platoon of Sanchez/Jones isn't working out too well. I heard our name thrown around for Cuban 1st baseman Jose Dariel Abreu, so I suppose that's a possibility?

I'm not quite as down as I have been on SS since Mercer stepped up to the plate, but we're basically platooning him and Barmes at this point due to Mercer's suspect defense, and if Mercer regresses to what he's been in past years, then SS will be a huge liability once more. And finally, we definitely need a 3rd outfielder is we're unable to keep Byrd. We may have another one in Polanco, assuming he continues to grow in the minors, but he's a September call up at best right now, and Tabata and Snider just aren't going to cut it.

Our bullpen moving forward is pretty sound though, and we have a ton of potential fill ins within the minors should it need bolstering though, so I'm not worried about that aspect of our team.

What's this hard-fought series talk? A series like that is one where it goes down to the wire with both teams playing their hearts out, not one where the team up 2-1 after three games rolls over and fucking dies.

Either way, good season, Pirates-GAF. The team and its fans deserved a little success. The crowds at PNC Park were electric from my time there this summer, although the walk back to our hotel afterward was a gauntlet of douchey fans.

harSon

Banned
What's this hard-fought series talk? A series like that is one where it goes down to the wire with both teams playing their hearts out, not one where the team up 2-1 after three games rolls over and fucking dies.

Either way, good season, Pirates-GAF. The team and its fans deserved a little success. The crowds at PNC Park were electric from my time there this summer, although the walk back to our hotel afterward was a gauntlet of douchey fans.

Get out of here with that bullshit. We didn't have a good outing in game 5, but game 4 was a pitching duel. 3 hits to 1 over the course of the game. I wouldn't call that laying down. Wacha was just on point that day.

Game 1: Cards stomped
Game 2: Pirates stomped
Game 3: Somewhere in-between, 5-3 game
Game 4: Awesome pitching duel, very close, 2-1
Game 5: Close game through the 7th

I'd hardly call this a situation where the Pirates rolled over and died.

BFIB

Not like the Brewers did in the NLCS.

Or the Cards last year in the NLCS. But I try to not think about that.

Not like the Brewers did in the NLCS.

Or the Cards last year in the NLCS. But I try to not think about that.

I wouldn't call the 2011 NLCS a choke job by any means. Cards whipped our asses going into October, and from the outset of the series it was clear they were going to dominate. Gallardo has made a career of having his shit pushed in by the Cards lineup and Grienke was pretty uneven in the NLDS against the D-Backs. And like Ez said, Roenicke sending Marcum out to get blown up every four days starting in mid-September, including an elimation game that he very well could've slotted Greinke to start, was an indicator that our days were numbered.

A series where fucking Randy Wolf was our best pitcher is a series we don't deserve to win.

Last year's NLCS? That was a collapse.

Maybe I'm being harsh about the Pirates. I am happy the team made it this far. It's progress. Just take the division next year, please.

Rany Jazayerli said:
But absolute power to enforce the Unwritten Rules corrupts absolutely, which is how it came to pass that before Game 1 of the NLDS, Chipper Jones threw out the first pitch to the mascot, because no Brave would catch Jones's toss after the future Hall of Famer had the audacity to predict on the radio that the Braves would lose the NLDS in four games. In their zeal for baseball purity, the Braves overlooked one of the Unwritten Rules of common sense: You don't snub a franchise legend1 over petty bullshit. And now few people, least of all their franchise legend, are shedding tears over the Braves losing the NLDS. In four games. The only shame is that the Dodgers didn't clinch in Atlanta, which would have allowed them to dig a hole in the ground in center field, fill it with water, and jump in.

The Dodgers are a 1 percenter's wet dream of a franchise, a team that bought its way to a talented roster with the highest payroll in the history of American professional sports. But one of the notable aspects of American society is that when asked to choose between plutocrats on one side and dour moralizers on the other, Americans will choose the plutocrats every time. Most of us aspire to be rich; very few of us aspire to be douche bags.
haha holy shit

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9801064/nl-championship-series-preview

Game 1: Yep
Game 2: Yep
Game 3: Yep
Game 4: Potentially get no-no'd is hardly "very close". Pirates got straight up embarrassed
Game 5: As soon as Freese hit that home run, the game was officially over. It wasn't close at all

Top Bottom