• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT2| - Revenge of the Umpires

Thank you Mets!
bnCgS.gif

zulux21

Carlos Marmol is coming nowhere near the Dodgers. I will personally see to it that he doesn't get here.

We're 3.5 games back. There's no way in hell I'm going to let Ned Colletti ruin this chance.

I see like 20 guys on the white sox roster I wouldn't mind seeing go to the dodgers :p

Jesse Crain or Matt Lindstrom a bit more appealing than marmol?

I see like 20 guys on the white sox roster I wouldn't mind seeing go to the dodgers :p

Jesse Crain or Matt Lindstrom a bit more appealing than marmol?
I don't know. Are they as bad as Brandon League?

After looking up their stats, if this Marmol deal falls through Ned will probably make one of these guys his next target. My god.

I'm surprised Ned hasn't called Brian Wilson yet.

Crain is probably the best relief pitcher in baseball this year. He's a free agent after this season, so he's definitely getting traded somewhere.

zulux21

I don't know. Are they as bad as Brandon League?

After looking up their stats, if this Marmol deal falls through Ned will probably make one of these guys his next target. My god.

neither are bad 7th/8th inning guys but neither are closers Lindstrom has some experience as a closer, but he was ok at best, and crain has never really tried the closer roll (and given his current numbers no doubt the white sox will be asking for a return like he is a closer)

the white sox closer is Addison Reed, he was looking good until june hit, june was not all that kind to him. He is one of the few players I still want to see on the white sox after the trade deadline

heck the only white sox players I don't want to see traded are
Jose Quintana
Addison Reed
Chris Sale
Hector Santiago
and Conor Gillaspie

the rest as long as the trade makes sense I don't care if they move them.

Crain is probably the best relief pitcher in baseball this year. He's a free agent after this season, so he's definitely getting traded somewhere.

yeah, there is no way crain stays with the white sox past the trade deadline short of him having a season ending injury before he is traded. He is a no brainer trade candidate for the white sox, as there is absolutely no reason to keep a soon to be free agent you won't make a qualifying offer on.

Oh this gif is so good yet terrifying.

mfa2bG5.gif

Dodgers could use some solid relievers right now. If Jesse Crain is solid he would be an upgrade to a terrible bullpen. I don't think we have any good pieces we can use in trades right now.

Usa Today said:
Is Orioles minor league knuckleballer Eddie Gamboa the next R.A. Dickey?
Newly converted knuckleballer throws seven-inning no-hitter in Double-A.

By TED BERG – July 1, 2013 at 5:02pm EDT

On Sunday, 28-year-old Orioles minor leaguer Eddie Gamboa threw a seven-inning no-hitter for the Double-A Bowie Baysox in the first game of their doubleheader against the Harrisburg Senators. Just one week earlier, Gamboa took a no-hitter into the eighth inning of a game against the Altoona Curve.

A run of success for a pitcher Gamboa’s age still throwing in Double-A might not normally make national headlines, but Gamboa is a recently converted knuckleballer enjoying improving results in his first season throwing the pitch.

In April, Gamboa told MiLB.com he was throwing knuckleballs roughly 50 percent of the time and maintaining his conventional arsenal. After the strong effort last week, he said he threw the pitch 60 percent of the time. On Sunday, sporting an altered grip on the pitch, Gamboa threw knuckleballs 75 percent of the time. From MiLB.com:

“They know me a guy that gets ahead with conventional stuff and then throws a knuckleball. Now I’m throwing it in any count.”

That alone pleased Gamboa’s mentor, Phil Niekro, who probably would be pleased to hear that the UC Davis product threw only knuckleballs in the final inning as the rain intensified.

“It’s not every day that you get a call from a Hall of Famer,” Gamboa said of Niekro, who reached out to the Orioles farmhand after hearing of his outing. “He has been working with me a lot and I wouldn’t be throwing the knuckleball without him.

Few fraternities in professional sports seem as tightly knit or as generally awesome as the brotherhood of knuckleballers. The 2012 documentary Knuckleball detailed the way Charlie Hough tutored R.A. Dickey in the pitch, how Niekro worked with Tim Wakefield, and how all four of those most eminent recent knuckleballers spend time together in the offseason, golfing and talking shop.

Gamboa’s a long way away from experiencing the big-league success to match any of those guys, but he’s on the right path. In knuckleballer years, he’s still very young — Dickey, Wakefield, Niekro and Hough all had some of their best years in their late 30s.

And Gamboa’s 3.48 ERA in 15 starts for Bowie this season bodes well for his Major League hopes. Dickey, who like Gamboa began his professional career as a conventional pitcher, became a full-time knuckleballer in 2005 and posted a 5.99 ERA in Triple-A that season.

Every knuckleballer — like every knuckleball — is unique, but Gamboa might be best served maintaining the 75 percent rate at which he threw the pitch in his last start. Mastering the pitch is so difficult that it seems near impossible to throw it well while holding on to much of a conventional arsenal. Dickey threw the pitch 85 percent of the time during his Cy Young season in 2012, and Wakefield maintained about that rate for his entire pitching career.

Hope it works it. The guy throws a knuckleball with a FB around 88-90. Looks like he's figuring it out.

eznark

Banned
So the MLB is paying for the testimony of their supposed "smoking gun." Amazing. The BioGenesis guys are making fat bank just playing each side!

eznark

Banned
I think the funniest part is that he tried to sell them his "expertise" months ago and they said no! Now they take months to strong-arm and threaten him and....end up buying all the same testimony anyway!

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
New news everyone! My fantasy baseball team sucks and I can't catch any breaks. Thats all. Thought you would like to know. Can't wait to watch another loss tonight.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
New news everyone! My fantasy baseball team sucks and I can't catch any breaks. Thats all. Thought you would like to know. Can't wait to watch another loss tonight.
somehow, the giants will find a way to lose to the marlins without playing them.

Carlos Marmol has waived his no-trade clause and the deal is now official.

The Dodgers have acquired Carlos Marmol from the Cubs in exchange for Matt Guerrier.

Grr, still waiting for my MLB the Show 13.

I always get screwed over when I do 1 day shipping from Amazon. I don't get it until after 8 pm. Where as 2 day shipping it's always here on or before noon. Go figure. >_>

White Sox bring Jim Thome as an advisor to the GM. Thome's first move was telling Rick Hahn he can be a better DH than the guy we employ for 15 million dollars.

Thats a good trade for the Orioles. I wanted them to sign him last offseason. No need to overpay for Nolasco, Garza or someone else that wont make that big of an impact.

Bud Norris would be a great fit for the Pirates if they can get him for mid level prospects.

Top Bottom