• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT2| - Revenge of the Umpires

rekameohs

Banned
Z3KIuY3.gif

What better way to follow a 5 game losing streak with a 5 game winning streak?

Bring it on, LA!

Ryck

Nine straight losses. Only brightside I could find is that the ballpark will be empty and ill be able to sit where I want. :-/

Nationals get Scott Hairston from Cubs; Garza expected to be traded shortly

On Sunday night, the Nationals acquired Scott Hairston from the Cubs in exchange for a currently-unknown pitcher from Single A.

After hitting 20 home runs for the Mets in 2012, the Cubs signed Hairston to a 2-year, $5 million deal for him to platoon right field with Nate Schierholz, but Hairston struggled badly, enabling Schierholz to become the full-time right fielder.

Hairston is expected to be utilized as a right-handed bat off the bench by Davey Johnson. Despite his .172 batting average thus far with the Cubs, it's worth noting that he has still slugged 8 home runs in just 99 at-bats. He's averaging a home run in every 12.38 at-bats this season.

This is the first move made by the defending NL East champion Nationals. Looking to win their second straight division title, the Nationals will enter play on Monday 4.0 games back of the first-place Braves. After a three-game sweep of the Padres this weekend and the Braves losing two out of three to the Phillies, the Nationals have closed the gap as small as it's been since they were 3.5 games back at the end of play on May 20.

Hairston is the latest in a flurry of Cubs trades that is expected to continue up to the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline. In the last week, the Cubs have unloaded Scott Feldman, Carlos Marmol, Steve Clevenger, and now Hairston. And they're not done.

Matt Garza's next start for the Cubs is Monday night against the White Sox. It could be his last. Along with Garza, Dioner Navarro and Kevin Gregg are expected to be wearing different uniforms by August 1.

Josh Satin went 3-for-4 with a pair of doubles after a two-day absence from the lineup and Jeremy Hefner took a scoreless effort into the seventh inning as the Mets beat the Brewers, 2-1, in Sunday’s rubber game. Collins said Satin is not in a platoon with Ike Davis, although Satin should play somewhere when the Mets face left-hander Barry Zito on Tuesday.
Oh TC.

Can't wait until Matt Harvey Night/Phenomball tonight

Matugi

Freeman has been good but it has to be either Desmond or Puig. If the Nats come back and win the NL East Desmond is winning NL MVP.

Freeman has been good but it has to be either Desmond or Puig. If the Nats come back and win the NL East Desmond is winning NL MVP.
:lol

Your Zimmermann for CYA prediction at least had/has a slight chance of happening. Desmond would have to play completely out of his mind or have the fortune of 6 or 7 more deserving candidates hit the DL for him to win the MVP award. Or maybe the Nats could slip the writers w/e the Phillies gave them in 2006/2007.

Phillies have announced Ryan Howard has a torn meniscus in his right knee and needs surgery. Best case scenario has him coming back in late August.

Velcro Fly

Nationals get Scott Hairston from Cubs; Garza expected to be traded shortly

I'll be sad for a little bit when Navarro gets traded. For a free agent signing, he's endeared himself to the fans very quickly. Hopefully tonight he gets another chance to crush some White Sox pitching.

Hopefully they get at least something other than salary relief from getting rid of Garza/Soriano/Gregg/Navarro.

Damn, I was really hoping Guthrie would drill Cano for his first at bat. In my perfect would, the whole Royals dugout would've then held up bottles of Billysauce.

Top Bottom