• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monkey Ball 2 soon to be $20 - Worth it alongside Monkey Ball 1?

Memles

I actually made a thread similar to this on the old boards, but in the wake of the upcoming Monkey Ball 2 move to $20 (A Canadian Website has a $30 CDN copy coming in in Mid-August), I'm more interested in the title. Almost picked up a copy used for that price at EB (No IDEA why the online used copy is $35 American when the new copy in store was $40 Canadian), but held off.

I know the general word...Monkey Target 1 is supposedly better than 2, overall Multi goes to SMB2, but Single Player is solidly in SMB1's court.

As someone who recently picked up SMB, and is STILL stuck on Expert 7, despite having gotten that far in a rental back at launch and just picking up the save, is SMB2 worth the $20? It is worth it for the added multiplayer modes and the new single player experience? I only ask because I'm wondering if the money would better be spent towards a different party game, like a Mario Party, considering the similarities between the two Monkey Ball titles.

It's an often askes question, just really looking for an answer as to whether both are REALLY worth it when I suck ass at Expert in SMB.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
either one is worth thousands of dollars. buy them. buy them all up.

you also owe it to yourself to persist with expert 7. It's not that bad, just hold up at the start, get to the back of the platform for a straight run and the upside down V, go down the stairs, then turbo it over those chequered squares then the rest is just care. practice it 20 or so times you should beat it. best feeling in the world.

you should just buy it and mario party 5. they both rule.

Dyne

I was expecting SMB2 to be better than SMB1, so I would never have to go back to it. But, both games have their own unique qualities and I love to play them both. They're just great.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
They're both quite different, and SMB2 has a couple frustrating levels, but imo it's still amazing and easily one of my favorite games this gen, worth $20 for the tons of minigames alone.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm most-likely be getting nothing but $20 or less Gamecube titles for the rest of the year. I only have 4 games for it, it's lonely. I'll only maybe an exception for Tenchu 3 and/or ZOE2.

Prospero

SMB2's single player is easier than SMB1's, if that's what you want to know.

Memles said:
As someone who recently picked up SMB, and is STILL stuck on Expert 7[...]

Expert 7 can be difficult because it's the first proving-ground level. In order to beat it you have to master two or three different skills that you haven't needed before, and E7 throws them at you all at once to force you to practice. You should persist with it--after you beat it it's smooth sailing up until, what? E30, maybe? It's been a long time since I've played.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the SMB2 story mode (which involves the regular incantation of the phrase "Ei-Ei-Poo") makes most RPG stories look like late-period Henry James.

Memles

Prospero said:
Expert 7 can be difficult because it's the first proving-ground level. In order to beat it you have to master two or three different skills that you haven't needed before, and E7 throws them at you all at once to force you to practice. You should persist with it--after you beat it it's smooth sailing up until, what? E30, maybe? It's been a long time since I've played.

My problem on Expert 7 is the damn checkerboard pattern. I can get through the stairs and the upside down V pretty consistently. I just struggle while dealing with the checkboard, and I think the last part will be easier...I have a tendency to just fly on those, without caution.

The place I'm looking at picking up SMB2 has an August 11th release on the $20 version.

Top Bottom