• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantasmo

I still hate Miileena. She can U&4 into a combo or B&3 into Roll for over 30 damage and my usual strategy against mixup characters, staying in the air doesn't work because of telekick sai working on reaction.

She's the only character (aside from Quan Chi who also has fast combo starters and high damage combos) that I can't beat if my opponent has decent strategy and reflexes.

GrayFoxPL

sleepykyo said:
You answered your question. Unless you're a fan of MK and only Mortal Kombat there are at least 4 other fighters with better netcode.

Does anyone know if the PS3 patch did anything about the netcode? I'll probably download it anyway to see firsthand how the "balancing" went.

edit: Lol at Kitana's ground fan. Only does 6 (instead of 8) tops, the second hit is blockable at max range.

And Kung Lao low hat is garbage. Really wish I was a Reptile player right now.

No man. I played over 300 matches with little to no lag. Now it's bad.

sleepykyo

junkster said:
The netcode is fine guys. I live in NY tri state area, NJ to be specific.

The connection indicators on the PS3 version were broken at the time. When the connection indicators aren't working the netcode is objectively broken.

Fantasmo

sleepykyo said:
The connection indicators on the PS3 version were broken at the time. When the connection indicators aren't working the netcode is objectively broken.

I haven't had issue since the first two patches went out. So a few months at least.
Strange Grayfox, hasn't been an issue here. It may be the new netcode but my first guess is proximity of current players. Best way to test would be to play against someone you know used to be smooth.

BTW didnt REO use Mileena at EVO? Thats the strategy I cant beat. Every Mileena person still using her does that keep away & combo strategy. Its infuriating because you cant zone her because of telekick and the combo starters (U4 or B3) are unstoppable on reaction. Nevermind that telekick makes you stumble until she can almost land ANOTHER combo. That stumble lasts so long that shes guaranteed chip damage if you get hit with telekick while on the ground. It needs to be made slower so you can dash under it, or get less priority, or you should be able to stop her followup with a counter, you cant escape or counter it. For three examples, take Johnny, Kano, and Kung Lao. If I throw a projectile she can telekick me and I cant move at all. There is no time to do a Flipkick, Upball, or Spin against her telekick followup once it connects. She should certainly be safe after it connects until she lands and maybe even a bit after, but for me to stumble until I am forced to block a jump in is way too much. Even if I anticipate the telekick, it has such extreme priority that Ill be damned if I can ever counter the stupid thing.

The telekick damage itself is rather low but, that you eat the telekick, chip damage, and quite possibly a huge combo if you dont block correctly anytime she lands one, (unless youre in the air, in which case she can either air sai or shes still in a prime attack location. I dont feel safe at any range or at any time when shes around, much like Kung Lao before the nerf. Im not surprised at all that Mileena and prepatch Kung Lao were the top two.

Mileena's teleport is punishable with a full combo. If she does a sai after to make it safer it's still punishable with uppercut or d+1~special.

She cannot hit confirm b+3~roll so she has to take a big risk if she goes for it.

Fantasmo

Osu 16 Bit said:
Mileena's teleport is punishable with a full combo. If she does a sai after to make it safer it's still punishable with uppercut or d+1~special.

She cannot hit confirm b+3~roll so she has to take a big risk if she goes for it.

Haha! Well you just taught me two things... D+1~special works with EVERYONE. And I didn't know what a hit confirm was, but then I thought about it (having to commit to a combo whether it's safe or not, right?) and now I do and that's REALLY good to know.

I also remember who you choose, Kitana and realized she has a great tool vs Mileena, Fan Lift. Then I checked testyourmight and her worst matchup is Raiden. Then I had a quick thought and imagine Rain / Scorpion might be quite good to punish her.

So it looks like I'm going to be spending time practicing 4 new guys lol.

Ya know, I can't believe I've been rage quitting (a lot to be honest) on Mileena like I did on occasion with Kung Lao. She just gave me this mental block where I couldn't think of a useful solution but this gives me a couple things to work with.

Mortal Kombat, the game that keeps on giving lol.

Thanks Osu! While we're at it, any tips for fighting Quan Chi? His mixups always lead to big combos that include trance. I know he's not supposed to have good anti-air but good Quan Chis don't randomly throw out stomp and now he has armor.

Any suggestions there?

Edit: Wow Scorpion is easy to pick up! Spear, njp, B&2, teleport, jumpkick, airthrow is 33% and sometimes you can tag on a hellflame.. I like him! Kitana not as easy. The midcombo fans have odd timing. She may take awhile. Raiden and Rain just feel awkward so far.

Inmolatus

Just bought the game and I am not feeling fully confortable with my arcade stick (6 button normal stick) default mapping. Which gave you best results?

Right now it is:

SS - FP - BP
BLK - FK -BK

SS: Stance Switch
FP: Front Punch
BP: Back Punch
BLK: Block
FK: Front Kick
BK: Back Kick

Raiden feeling strong =D

junkster said:
Thanks Osu! While we're at it, any tips for fighting Quan Chi? His mixups always lead to big combos that include trance. I know he's not supposed to have good anti-air but good Quan Chis don't randomly throw out stomp and now he has armor.

Edit: Wow Scorpion is easy to pick up! Spear, njp, B&2, teleport, jumpkick, airthrow is 33% and sometimes you can tag on a hellflame.. I like him! Kitana not as easy. The midcombo fans have odd timing. She may take awhile. Raiden and Rain just feel awkward so far.

I just zone Quan Chi out. Not just with projectiles but if you get right outside d+1 and f+2,1 range he can't really do much. That's Kitana though.

If he gets in and gets to go for his 50/50 you can try to fuzzy guard it. Start blocking low because the low is much faster, then go to up. If you're going to guess, the low is usually the safest bet because he has to commit to the unsafe trance when he does the overhead.

With Scorpion's combos you don't want to end with an air throw or any knockdown ender. You want to do 2,1~teleport because then you get a safe jump, a free mixup and that's what Scorpion is all about.

GrayFoxPL

junkster said:
PS3 patch is up, version 1.05, 111MB

There's no patch for euro version.

Tried Ermac for the first time. After spending 2 hours in training mode I thought he's top tier.
After getting out - meh. Most of his strings are impractical, or too slow with no range. Most damaging combos available only when opponent forgets to fight back. Teleport and telekinesis are great but can only get you that far.
Always wondered why I didn't have trouble with Ermacs online. Now I know.

Everybody thought Ermac was top tier in the early days when high damage and zoning was enough.

Two MK majors coming up. Devastation this weekend and Season's Beatings the next. I'll be at Dev. MK is dead, right?

fernoca

Hehehe..a few tournaments around here with MK. No biggies, but considering that the last years were just Halo, Call of Duty and Street Fighter IV; Mortal Kombat been there is surprising more than anything.

GrayFoxPL

http://fr.twitch.tv/DEVASTATIONEVENT

Devastation Stream.

Wow what level of play. O_O

Edit: Fuck me at Marvez vs Tom Brady

First time I saw Marvez and his Cage is out of this world. I main Cage but this is totally different league.

He got back from 0 : 2 to 2 : 2 against Tom's fucking annoying but typical Sub - Zero.

Marvez lost but I think he got lot more skill then Tom, it's the matchup that fucked him up. :(

Nevertheless amazing fight.

GrayFoxPL

Forget about umk9 for now.

Twitter:

RT @TrickyLizard @noobde Any news on UMK9? Noobde: We aren't planning an Ultimate MK9 now. Should we? What would we add?

Hopefully they're making shaolin monks 2 now.

fernoca

Yeah. They're making "something" which will be announced in 2012.

They're apparently working on the Vita "port" too; but last I heard it was a mixture of in-house (Netherrealm) and another team.

GrayFoxPL

StalkerUKCG said:
Hopefully its a major tweak to players rebalancing everyone and another 4 character season pass. Id be all over it.

Boon said on twitter couple of times there's no more dlc.

Probably Vita port announcement but I'd like it to be SM 2.

JimiNutz

Banned
Im loving this game but still can't pull off more than a 4 hit combo (im awful at fighting games). What are the best online character guides? - Videos would be even better. Would love to be able to pull off some of the insane moves and combos that I've seen others do.

sleepykyo

Osu 16 Bit said:
Nerf Jax.

Not sure if serious.

It's Mortal Kombat and you're one of biggest proponents of it. Jax isn't getting nerfed until he gets a huge bandwagon. Oh and people will whine about Kitana's d1 all day without realizing that any cancel outside of the fan lift won't beat a tech crouch attack.

I swear that Kitana's like the worst "top tier" but gets away with it because no one plays the match up right. While Kabal and Cyrax get away with actually being ridiculously good because of the whole it's hard so it's fine.

sleepykyo said:
Not sure if serious.

It's Mortal Kombat and you're one of biggest proponents of it. Jax isn't getting nerfed until he gets a huge bandwagon. Oh and people will whine about Kitana's d1 all day without realizing that any cancel outside of the fan lift won't beat a tech crouch attack.

I swear that Kitana's like the worst "top tier" but gets away with it because no one plays the match up right. While Kabal and Cyrax get away with actually being ridiculously good because of the whole it's hard so it's fine.

Not. Although after playing Tyrant at Dev I respect Jax.

You're right about few playing the Kitana matchup correctly. I've played around 5 guys that actually duck cutter and punish with a full combo. She's still top when I have to play legit though.

I may be going hitbox. There's applications for hitbox besides instant air fireballs that no one's thinking about. Hitbox instant air square boost will be ridiculous.

hayejin

PS3 Kollector's Edition is 46 on Amazon right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Mortal-Kombat-Kollectors-Playstation-3/dp/B004GD1Q4G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324320358&sr=8-1&linkCode=as2&tag=videogames063a-20&camp=39001-289-4X2-5&creativeASIN=B003O6E1JS

I bought the Xbox version few months ago when they had it for similar price. I still haven't touched the game but the two book end pieces aren't too bad(They're not the greatest thing but not too shabby considering the crap like GOW3 pandora box once sold for 99 bucks).

PS3 Kollector's Edition is 46 on Amazon right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Mortal-Kombat-Kollectors-Playstation-3/dp/B004GD1Q4G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324320358&sr=8-1&linkCode=as2&tag=videogames063a-20&camp=39001-289-4X2-5&creativeASIN=B003O6E1JS

I bought the Xbox version few months ago when they had it for similar price. I still haven't touched the game but the two book end pieces aren't too bad(They're not the greatest thing but not too shabby considering the crap like GOW3 pandora box once sold for 99 bucks).

Not bad, but I'll just buy the upcoming GOTY edition instead. It'll have all the DLC.

fernoca

Tempting, but I think I'll get the GOTY edition instead.
If you don't have the game..yeah.
If you do have the game it's quite a nice deal.
Even more when there's no word on if the "rumored" GOTY will include everything on a disc; or in a downloadable-voucher/code. Do hope is on the disc; at least for the sake of those waiting for it.

fernoca

yo i heard this game was dead

Kappa

On here? Yeah. :p
Outside here, nope. :p
TestYourMight.com still follows the tourney-scene (which they admitted it grew after last year's EVO) and online there are still people playing. Heck there has been tournaments in here (Puerto Rico) featuring the game (and others); which was... quite unexpected. XD

I'm going to absolutely hate watching MK this year if Freddy turns out to be dominant. Not only does he seem like hes overpowered but I don't like guest characters in my MK.

Looking forward to the Komplete edition. I played this locally for the first few weeks with my friends but looks like I'm finally getting my own copy.

How is he seem overpowered? Since he was patched and became tournament legal in October there's been one Freddy player do well.

The fact that a Freddy player won a tournament makes him overpowered to me, heh. I just freaking hate the idea of it. Also, he looks like an annoying fighter to play against because of his zoning. Its a miracle Tom Brady got as far as he did in that Grand Final I saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom