• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat vs NeoGAF: The Online Kommunity Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fernoca

19XQi.png

PATCHES/FIXES-NOTES
(Thanks to Testyourmight.com and Netherrealm.com)

June 2011
• The patch that fixed the online netcode to reduce lag as much as possible...ended damaging some other aspects (desyncs, disconnects, etc.) on PSN (no word on Xbox 360 were it was released on June 15). The game per se plays better. Still, notes with updates and fixes will be added when the fix of that one is out.​

May 20, 2011
• Reduced some of Kung Lao’s combo and overall damage.
• Reduced the damage on some special moves.
• Increased the damage scaling after Kitana’s Enhanced ground fan toss.
• Adjusted some juggle’s damage scaling.
• Reduced the damage on some basic combos that were doing too much damage without using any meter.
• Increased Sheeva’s damage output for several of her moves and attacks.
• Temporarily Changed around some of Sonya’s fighting style properties to reduce her ability to lock someone down in block stun.
• Changed Kano’s Towards (Forward + Front Kick) to a low block.
• Reduced the recovery on Kano’s Upball to be closer to Johnny Cage’s Flip Kick recovery.
• Increased the damage of some of Baraka’s special moves and attacks.
• It is easy to juggle combo after hitting someone with Baraka’s chopchop on the ground.
• Increased the damage scaling on a frozen opponent.
• Baraka’s Away (Back + Front Kick + Front Punch) combo is now a true popup.
• Reduced some of Reptile's combo damage.​

REMEMBER:
  • Online multiplayer requires an 'Online Pass', which is included in every new copy at no additional charge
  • If your copy is from a friend, rented, used and there's no online pass; there's a trial period of 2 days.
  • Once you're online, the game will generate an unico web-kode. By entering your unique web kode at TheMortalKombat.com you can utilize advanced community features such as social messaging and website profiles
  • Disconnecting/quitting during a match will affect your stats and your TrueSkill Ranking

2SkCf.png

Since this is an online-multiplayer centric thread, some people might talk and discuss specific characters openly. So spoiler tags will be at the discretion of the one talking about them.

L3BUd.png

Disconnecting/quitting during a match will affect your stats and your TrueSkill Ranking.

kduo0.png

Get online and challenge other kombatants in Mortal Kombat.​

vWNXB.png

Team up with a friend and jump online to challenge other kombatants in Mortal Kombat.​

xeYfz.png

Relive the excitement of the arcade days. In this mode you can join other players, wait in line and spectate the matches while you wait. You earn points as you proceed and stay. You can also rate other players and give them respect points.

uW1gw.png

Look for new downloadable content like backgrounds, characters, costumes and other misc. content. You can buy an online pass (in case your copy's used, rented, etc.).​

d5x7l.png

While connected to the servers, you can do/see the following:

jyW6E.png

Lets you know what are other players doing, while connected online; so that you can know if they're busy playing Story mode, or waiting in King of the Hill; before sending an invite.​

BM8C1.png

Search for open lobbies and join other players.​

UbU3d.png

Create a lobby, so that others can join freely.​

M1awd.png

Search for matches with random players on which the victories and losses affect your positioning at the leaderboards.​

7O1Ca.png

Search for matches with random players on which the victories and losses don't affect your positioning at the leaderboards. (If you enjoyed playing with that person, you can accept decline rematches at the end)​

ho2pP.png

Create a lobby, on which only the people you invite can join.​

OLOoR.png

You can sort matches by connections, types, status, alphabet, etc.​

Bytb0.png

Check user statistics like victories, losses, respect points etc. You can also add players to your ignore list, to avoid they appearing in other matches.​

4K5mv.png

Check your positioning and compare it against other players and people in your friends' list.​

45jyP.png

Select the avatar will represent you on the King of the Hill Mode.​

crPI1.png

The last update, bit of news, the latest DLC available will be notified there.​

vNmft.png

Keep up to date regarding the latest news, changes and updates to the game.​

XHv2w.png

Lets you talk to others (via text or voice), to make easier to create rooms/matches.​

Nfs0i.png

You can send invitations containing predetermined options, that others can accept (or decline). You can invite people to specific tag-matches, or a specific King of the Hill room, or 2 Players Tag, etc.​

eGm1z.png

fernoca

3Ud2J.png

To make things easier for some, if you want to add or look for others kombatants, "quote" this post (the link's also right at the beginning of this quote/post too):

LINK STARTS HERE

LINK ENDS HERE
(Remember to copy-paste the address only)

That spreadsheet, lets you add your PSN/Live usernames and see others (gotta love technology right?!)

Just select a box and write the information on the respective area. Colors, etc. leave them to me.
And also remember to File > Save after you're finished editing/adding your info. As the link is only visible to those quoting this post, don't try to make make things "funny" for others by adding insults or removing info that's not yours. ;)

If you want to look into other GAFers playing the game, discuss about things you notice while playing online, talk about that spammer you seem to always get stuck, quality of the online experience, and so on...you're open to do so on this thread. Be friendly too, in the end..this is just to have fun and enjoy the game.

YPTFs.png

LOL another PS3 exclusive feature?...Read!!

NOTE: AS OF MAY 2011, I NO LONGER HAVE A PS3. SO I WON'T BE ABLE TO ACCEPT FRIEND REQUESTS OR CHAT INVITES, BUT OTHERS USERS LISTED BELOW CAN DO SO, IF NEEDED. CHECK FOR THEIR PSN-IDS ON THE SPREADSHEET; JUST IN CASE.

To make it easier, in case you want to jump online and see which other GAFers are playing online (in the PS3 version); and to communicate with fellow gamers. Keep in mind that this is a text chat (no headset/voice, keyboard optional) and it's separate from the actual in-game chat and in-game lobbies. (gossip time!!)

How you can enter? Well, you need to be invited by someone and only people in your friends' list can invite others. So here's how it goes:

• Add someone as a friend. (check from members posted below. Look for the PSNIDs on the spreadsheet above and at the bottom if this post). As more people join (and don't delete) the chat, they will also be able to invite others to join. So I'll keep adding people to the list of "users with GAF-chat" below.
  • Once accepted as a friend (or in the message field with the friend request); let the person know you want to join the chat. The chat's name is 'Mortal Kombat vs NeoGAF'.
  • Keep an eye out for the invitation and accept it the same way you accept/read messages from other users. (In you Friends' List) Accept the invitation and join and start talki..ehr..typing!
  • The chat will be located on your Friends' List, at the top (see icon below). It will stay there as long as you don't 'delete it'; so just open it, join and see what are other people doing. Leave, then come back later, rinse and repeat.
KXy3Q.png
  • While not in-game, you'll only see the chat-window.(like the one below but with colors and typos and lots of "lols")
qufoZ.png
  • In-game, you'll see notifications (see below) of people talking at the top of the screen, like when you unlock trophies, receive messages, etc.
Gv2XW.png
  • To reply, you just open the XMB, choose the chat and type.
  • Remember that in online games (and other general games) the action is not stopped/paused when you're at the XMB/chat, so keep that in mind.

Other users with GAF-chat:
  • Xevren
  • Irish
  • TheHakku
  • xero273
  • Aesthet1c
  • Ribbon
  • MrMephistoX
  • corrosivefrost
  • TeknomanEX

Misc. notes about GAF-chat:
  • If you, after quitting Mortal Kombat decide to play another game; as long as you're online, you're going to receive notifications of messages. To avoid this, you have to either turn off notifications, or 'leave' the chat (by pressing the 'Triangle button' over the chat and choosing said option).
  • If you 'delete' a chat, you'll have to ask someone in your friend-list that is in the chat, to send you another invite (the option to 'delete' is also obtained by pressing the 'Triangle button' over the name of the chat).
  • As long as you don't 'delete' the chat, you can leave and return at any moment. That way, you can see if others are also playing and easily join them (no need to search this thread to ask if someone is specifically playing online)
  • If you're in the chat and press circle multiple times to exit to the XMB, and then press the 'PS guide button' to exit to the game... To continue chatting, you need to go to the XMB and choose the chat (icon) again. (You're still going to receive notifications every time someone posts a message; if you have notifications turned on)
  • If you're in the chat and press the 'PS guide button' to exit and continue playing the game. Pressing it again will bring you to the chat-window directly.
  • If all users delete a room, then it's just a matter of creating a new room. So if one day you want to join and says the chat-room doesn't exists, then either wait for a new one to be created, look around this thread for info of such thing, or create a new one and post about it here.

4e1y8.png

To make things easier for fellow Xbox Live users. In case you can't (or don't want to :p) add other members to your friends list. Just:

1. Add MKvsGAF to your Friends List.
  2. Go to the profile of MKvsGAF and choose 'View Friends'
  3. There, it will show a list of other members from GAF (that added MkvsGAF too); so just proceed to send game invites, or talk to, etc.

3Ud2J.png

Spreadsheet again:
LINK STARTS HERE

LINK ENDS HERE
(Remember to copy-paste the address only)

Awesome job with this thread yet again, good to see someone actually dedicated to sticking with it :)

I know in other spreadsheets people have an option for how you want to play; "competitive", "just for fun", "trying to get better" and stuff like that.

fernoca

cuevas said:
Awesome job with this thread yet again, good to see someone actually dedicated to sticking with it :)

I know in other spreadsheets people have an option for how you want to play; "competitive", "just for fun", "trying to get better" and stuff like that.
Interesting, let me add that.
It was my first time using the spreadsheet.. :p

EDIT:
Done, nice suggestion. :) Thanks.

fernoca

Teknopathetic said:
Who is planning on starting the PSN Chat?
I'm experimenting with the options at the moment, since I haven't done it before. :p

So if someone that has done it earlier does one and post about it; that would be cool, otherwise guess will be me. I'm getting familiarized with the settings and options anyway.

EDIT:
Awesome, the one game I decide to try as "test" of the chat...has a 238MB update!! :p

But yeah, guess I'll be making it.
Will update the thread later with instructions.

Done!
Posted general instructions, might post some ..drawings later regarding icons and stuff to make it easier to describe.

I think you should edit the spreadsheet so that no one can edit it except you, you can approve or disapprove posts and only people can add to it. I know there is a way cause GAF has done this before (refer to Killzone, Starcraft 2 threads). That way, no one accidentally deletes anything and there will be no need to hide the URL.

fernoca

shagg_187 said:
I think you should edit the spreadsheet so that no one can edit it except you, you can approve or disapprove posts and only people can add to it. I know there is a way cause GAF has done this before (refer to Killzone, Starcraft 2 threads). That way, no one accidentally deletes anything and there will be no need to hide the URL.
Cool, let me look into that.

EDIT:
Added some icons to the GAF-chat description to make things easier to find, for others.

EDIT 2:
WTF? I had to add the Xbox Live/thingie twice, because otherwise it said that the "message was too short and I needed to add 1 more character" to edit the post??! :/

Irish

I need to add that I'm mainly playing for fun/learning or whatever. I sent you a friend request as well, fernoca.

Lumine

Perhaps I missed it in the OP but we might want to split up the kommunities in regions. I'm pretty sure lots of European players will try to avoid playing with Americans and vice versa. High latency in a fighting game has the potential to ruin it for both. :(

fernoca

Well, with the help of an old friend that actually knows things, made a few small updates to the spreadsheet:

1. Now it's slightly easier to write things, now for Yes/No/- options; there's a drop down menu (little arrow next to the specific box); or if you start typing the answer it automatically writes the rest.
  2. An option to sort the list. By clicking the little arrow next to each title of the column, you can un-check written options. So , if you want to see only people from 'Europe' or only people with 'PSN', just un-check the rest of the options.
  3. Locked the first row, so that even if you scroll down you can still see/read the specific area you're browsing.

Still looking into security settings and privacy before making the sheet "public", so in the meantime..edit things with care. :p

Lumine said:
Perhaps I missed it in the OP but we might want to split up the kommunities in regions. I'm pretty sure lots of European players will try to avoid playing with Americans and vice versa. High latency in a fighting game has the potential to ruin it for both. :(
The game itself seems to be region locked, at least when it comes to people not in your friends list (at the moment), but we'll have to wait till release to know for sure (whic his wh yI haven't mentioned it at the main posts ..yet)

But if fellow PAL-gaffers want to create specific playlists and chats, they're welcome. If they want me to add them to the main post I will too.

fernoca

Added Irish, TheHakku and xero273 to the "other users with PSN GAf-chat".
So no need to add me as a friend anymore. XD
If you're friends with them, you can also ask for invites to the chat, or me. :p

Also added 'Xbox Live info', in case others don't want to add friend request just to play one match.

MrMephistoX

Added myself to the spreadsheet too. Should be the last one and I'll be sure to invite the next one down once I get an invite.

fernoca

Just tried the online, finally. :)
22 matches against a friend, and no disconnects or lag.

Did noticed that like with Resistance 2, I can only play it online..with the PS3 in a wireless connection. When wired, the game's stuck at 'connecting to the lobby'.

(Posted also at the OT)

Wheres the link to the spreadsheet?

Added MKvsGAF to my friends list for now. If anyone wants to add me on XBL, gamertag is the same as my username.

Thinking about picking up the PS3 version too but will probably wait a few weeks until I'm done with single player/challenge tower.

fernoca

infinityBCRT said:
Wheres the link to the spreadsheet?

Added MKvsGAF to my friends list for now. If anyone wants to add me on XBL, gamertag is the same as my username.

Thinking about picking up the PS3 version too but will probably wait a few weeks until I'm done with single player/challenge tower.
Quote the second post, should be at the very beginning of the quote. ;)
Hidden (still) looking for the best way to lock it so that can others can update it easily without having randoms coming and changing things.

By the way,...
It would be better if people start talking/reporting about any problems /happenings at the Online Thread. General impressions, lag, etc.

That way, I can update that OP with updates regarding problems, patches ,etc. So that can others can see about any possible problems and updates.

When reporting problems also post your region and time, just in case.

Ribbon

I noticed on the back of the ps3 box it says it requires 4gb of hd space. I don't think mine even installed when I booted it up, and I can't find an install option in the menu. hmmmm

Ribbon said:
I noticed on the back of the ps3 box it says it requires 4gb of hd space. I don't think mine even installed when I booted it up, and I can't find an install option in the menu. hmmmm
I would like more info on this as well. I am somewhat new to gaming on the PS3. Is the install optional? What is the benefit? How do you initiate it?

notworksafe

The Lamonster said:
I would like more info on this as well. I am somewhat new to gaming on the PS3. Is the install optional? What is the benefit? How do you initiate it?
They can be optional but this one sounds manditory. Usually they install on first boot, but I've heard that this one installs in the background. So far I've only played Xbox (without install) and it ran fine.

Ribbon

notworksafe said:
They can be optional but this one sounds manditory. Usually they install on first boot, but I've heard that this one installs in the background. So far I've only played Xbox (without install) and it ran fine.

Background installation would explain a few hiccups/freezes I've experience.

fernoca

The game installs as you play/loads. ;)
No mandatory installation at the beginning, no optional installation in the options.

fernoca said:
The game installs as you play/loads. ;)
No mandatory installation at the beginning, no optional installation in the options.
So how can you tell it's installing in the background? Where does it say?

jtrov

I sent MKvsGaf a friend request. I haven't played an Mk game since UMK3, so I look forward to getting my ass kicked. Hopefully it wont take me long to pick up where I left off years ago. Definitely can't wait to test my might in some GAF lobbies.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Would appreciate a PSN chat room invite. Using PSN ID "lyteedge2" for this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom