• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mossad report contradicted Israeli PM claims of Iran Nuke Bomb...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So...Everyone remembers that comical cartoon image the Israeli PM paraded around, right?

Well, turns out Mossad didn't agree with the claims.

Binyamin Netanyahu’s dramatic declaration to world leaders in 2012 that Iran was about a year away from making a nuclear bomb was contradicted by his own secret service, according to a top-secret Mossad document.

It is part of a cache of hundreds of dossiers, files and cables from the world’s major intelligence services – one of the biggest spy leaks in recent times.

Brandishing a cartoon of a bomb with a red line to illustrate his point, the Israeli prime minister warned the UN in New York that Iran would be able to build nuclear weapons the following year and called for action to halt the process.

But in a secret report shared with South Africa a few weeks later, Israel’s intelligence agency concluded that Iran was “not performing the activity necessary to produce weapons”. The report highlights the gulf between the public claims and rhetoric of top Israeli politicians and the assessments of Israel’s military and intelligence establishment.

Tsb5a7k.png

The files reveal that:

• The CIA attempted to establish contact with Hamas in spite of a US ban.

• South Korean intelligence targeted the leader of Greenpeace.

• Barack Obama “threatened” the Palestinian president to withdraw a bid for recognition of Palestine at the UN.

• South African intelligence spied on Russia over a controversial $100m joint satellite deal.

The cache, which has been independently authenticated by the Guardian, mainly involves exchanges between South Africa’s intelligence agency and its counterparts around the world. It is not the entire volume of traffic but a selective leak.

One of the biggest hauls is from Mossad. But there are also documents from Russia’s FSB, which is responsible for counter-terrorism. Such leaks of Russian material are extremely rare.

Other spy agencies caught up in the trawl include those of the US, Britain, France, Jordan, the UAE, Oman and several African nations.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/23/leaked-spy-cables-netanyahu-iran-bomb-mossad

What a surprise. It's pretty clear Bibi doesn't want peace. A constant environment of antagonism benefits him and other hardliners in Israel and the US. Likewise it benefits Iranian hardliners as well.

Nabbis

I really doubt that the validity truly matters for Israel. They seem to want Iran gone until it no longer resembles an industrial nation.

Madness

The hysteria over Iran is hilarious, especially considering an unstable Pakistan is a greater nuclear threat to the rest of the world. What do you think India will do if some militants get in possession of nukes?

Iran has long been a scapegoat as if they are so close to nuclear weapons, when they are still over a decade away from enriching enough to even get close to weaponizing enough.

Israel has over 150 nuclear weapons, most are probably aimed at their neighbors. They have submarines patrolling the Persian Gulf etc.

Watching the Republican debates in 2008 was hilarious. Seeing people like Romney, Santorum, Gingrich, who have never served in the military, disregard statements from the joint chiefs of staff or military experts who say Iran isn't even close to a nuclear weapon.

If *hypothetically* Iran and Israel went to war, would there be any nations who are allied with the US, but who also get their oil from Iran, who would side with Iran?

I just saw a documentary about the killings of reporters and investigators in Buenos Aires, they think is linked to the president, and a iranian trail of blood leading back 20 years.

It sounds like INFOWARS, but it was really interesting! Argentina is one of so many countries who have become so well off due to the oil provided by Iran. Iran has to be a lifestream for many nations!?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
If *hypothetically* Iran and Israel went to war, would there be any nations who are allied with the US, but who also get their oil from Iran, who would side with Iran?

I just saw a documentary about the killings of reporters and investigators in Buenos Aires, they think is linked to the president, and a iranian trail of blood leading back 20 years.

It sounds like INFOWARS, but it was really interesting! Argentina is one of so many countries who have become so well off due to the oil provided by Iran. Iran has to be a lifestream for many nations!?

About that...

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Depends what you mean by "side with". Nobody would lend military assistance at the point the United States was on the other side, with the possible exception of Russia who has relatively good working relations with Iran. In terms of "being vocally disapproving of the United States", it would depend on the context of the war, but I imagine all the usual suspects would line up - Argentina, Venezuela, and so on. In terms of more local people, though, Azerbaijan might say something, but really Iran is pretty isolated in the area. Doesn't have many friends at all.

DrSlek

Isn't the only evidence of Iran possibly building a nuke is some missing yellowcake uranium noticed during an IAEA inspection once?

If I recall correctly, apart from that almost every intelligence agency report I've heard of states that Iran isn't building any weapons.

Cromat

Having read the cables and analysis by top commentators, it seems that at least these cables are compatible with the official Israeli stance, and that the CIA was trying to find contacts in Hamas as any intelligence agency tries to find contacts in targets of interest.

Al Jazeera and The Guardian seemed to have oversold this one; these cables do not reveal much at all.

Definitely inclined to believe Mossad. You guys do realise though that the leaked Mossad report still raises concerns about Iran's nuclear program, and that recently many Arab countrirs have raised precisely the same concerns?

And quit with comments like 'Israel is warmongering', this clearly shows there is disagreement within Israel so if anything direct your accusation at the only man making such a bold claim, Netanyahu himself. It also has nothing to do with the Palestinian issue...

Mr Git

And quit with comments like 'Israel is warmongering', this clearly shows there is disagreement within Israel so if anything direct your accusation at the only man making such a bold claim, Netanyahu himself. It also has nothing to do with the Palestinian issue...

Netanyahu certainly is a warmonger. I wouldn't be so vacant as to label the entire state as one. Iran were 1 year away in 2012 according to Netanyahu. Very reminiscent of his absolute certainty that WMDs were in Iraq. He's always attempting to drum support up for a war. Because he's a gigantic cretin.

First time I saw that cartoon i thought it was a photoshop. Can you imagine sitting in that room and being treated by the Israeli prime minister as if you are a fucking child?

They really want that Iran war as if the middle east isn't a big war zone right now already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom