• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most Disturbing Images Hidden in Video Games

00aamlbglitch_opt.jpg
Dear God, what is happening here?

That's the stuff of nightmares.

Drizzlehell

Banned
How about this one?
Silent Hill 2:
fj1iywswod5z.png
What the hell? I never even noticed this, even though I played through this game dozens of times. Neat.

I don't think the one in OG Re4 where they show how the villagers killed their children can be topped. Need to look for it in my computer.
Outlast 2 does a few things like that which stuck with me. Like a scene where you fall into a pit filled witch charred corpses of burned children that were sacrificed by the cult. Or how, while on the run from hillbilly cultists, you pass through a filthy rape dungeon with some battered woman laying half-conscious on a bed in her own piss and shit, and later you see that same woman get stretched to death on a torture rack, and you can closely examine the aftermath of it and it looks really fucking gruesome.

Outlast 2 does a few things like that which stuck with me. Like a scene where you fall into a pit filled witch charred corpses of burned children that were sacrificed by the cult.
This one made me stop playing the game. It's so early on and so heinous that I didn't register what it actually was at first. And you pick up notes that explain why the cult was doing it, which made me sick. Everything about it was so evil, I decided not to play any longer. Mission accomplished, devs.

nkarafo

I never understood mirrors in modern games. The vast majority of them look like shit or simply non functional. You'd think modern games must have nailed this effect already, seeing how much older games from previous generations have functional, proper looking mirrors. I mean, the best looking mirror effect i have ever seen was in a Wii game (Silent Hill: Shattered Memories) and it's still the case even today. Why?

RaduN

Outlast 2 does a few things like that which stuck with me. Like a scene where you fall into a pit filled witch charred corpses of burned children that were sacrificed by the cult. Or how, while on the run from hillbilly cultists, you pass through a filthy rape dungeon with some battered woman laying half-conscious on a bed in her own piss and shit, and later you see that same woman get stretched to death on a torture rack, and you can closely examine the aftermath of it and it looks really fucking gruesome.
Damn, that's heavy stuff.

xrnzaaas

I never understood mirrors in modern games. The vast majority of them look like shit or simply non functional. You'd think modern games must have nailed this effect already, seeing how much older games from previous generations have functional, proper looking mirrors. I mean, the best looking mirror effect i have ever seen was in a Wii game (Silent Hill: Shattered Memories) and it's still the case even today. Why?
Yep mirrors only seem to work in racing games. ;) Most fpp/tpp titles have them non-functional (or they come alive after a separate interaction like in Cyberpunk) and it's infuriating given how important mirrors can be in the environment.

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
I'm pretty hardcore with these things, (Cannibal Holocaust for breakfast) but Chaos;Head Noah kinda fucked me up for 5 minutes.

Always leave it to the Japanese.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Damn, that's heavy stuff.
This one made me stop playing the game. It's so early on and so heinous that I didn't register what it actually was at first. And you pick up notes that explain why the cult was doing it, which made me sick. Everything about it was so evil, I decided not to play any longer. Mission accomplished, devs.
Yeah, it definitely doesn't pull any punches. It is quite easily the most disturbing but also nerve-wracking games I've ever played, and that's coming from someone who's very much accustomed to horror and there isn't that much that can phase me.

I think this was also the only game that gave me actual nightmares, lol.

Soodanim

I don't think the one in OG Re4 where they show how the villagers killed their children can be topped. Need to look for it in my computer.
Explain yourself, I've never heard of this
It doesn't exist, there are theories about it but nothing clear, it comes from the original ending credit rolls.

Never bothered to watch that it the entire time I have been playing RE4, thanks.

Edit: looked into it.

When 4 was released, there was a companion piece called Resident Evil 4 Incubate was also released. There's various videos on it:

tl;dr Los Illuminados injected everyone in the village, and the child bodies could not handle the parasite and they all died painful deaths.

Last edited:

Three

Yep mirrors only seem to work in racing games. ;) Most fpp/tpp titles have them non-functional (or they come alive after a separate interaction like in Cyberpunk) and it's infuriating given how important mirrors can be in the environment.
Most SIE games and all ND games have working mirrors. In TLOUP1 you can even use them in gameplay
w0sefwa118m91.jpg

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Its not impossible and there are dozens of techniques one can use. There are effects, often in-built in engines like Unreal, that are capable of detailed reflections but need some tweaking and can be rather performance costly, there are tricks like just replicating the enviroment in a hidden room behind the mirror (often used by old games), ray/path tracing, etc. Then there are some more automatic effects that apply to reflective surfaces in general and are less costly.

I imagine most modern games often use this last one, likely because the people who produce these assets and enviroments aren't completely in touch with the people responsible for implementing it into the game, not to mention time constraints or maybe the fact the person responsible for that just doesn't care that much.

Basically its 100% to make mirrors look proper, but it requires special attention and work, something i imagine many aren't willing to do, especially with today's scale of games and dev teams.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I'm playing Ocarina of Time and the thing I forgot is how creepy and weird a lot of stuff in the game is, especially in the adult Link world.

Like what the FUCK is this
owptfMy.png

pepodmc_

Not an image, but an audio hidden in bloody roar 4 prototype. not used in the final release.

Mana (9 or 10 years old girl) saying "you want me to lick it?"

minute 8:00

Last edited:
Top Bottom