• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most gamers prefer single-player games

Do you prefer SP or MP?

• Total voters

XXL

dbdbaba91de72cd615d8be1a0119cfca

It’s no secret that the bulk of AAA games market revenues come from in-game purchases, mostly from live-service games.

It’s also impossible to ignore that the live-service market is fiercely competitive. Thanks to the oversaturated attention economy, only so many consumer hours are available.

And live-service games suck up so much attention and engagement. There are still opportunities in the space, but breaking through is extremely challenging.

With every new live-service hit that does manage to carve a spot for itself, there is less space available for new entrants to cast their net.

Poll added

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I think a lot of interest in GaaS/F2P is down to the very low barrier for entry. A lot of single player stuff (in triple A) requires a $400+ console and 50-70 per game.
There are amazing SP games stretching back 25 years which can be emulated or playable on a potato PC or old consoles.

Barrier to entree is only high for latest and greatest. And even there a used XSX can be had for $300ish and GamePass is $10 / month or less through deals.

RPCGamer

There are amazing SP games stretching back 25 years which can be emulated or playable on a potato PC or old consoles.

Barrier to entree is only high for latest and greatest. And even there a used XSX can be had for $300ish and GamePass is $10 / month or less through deals.
Indeed, but most younger players will probably not be interested in going back and want the new shiny shiny. $300+ and $10 GP or buying games is a lot for kids/students in these tough times - this is not 2005. A lot of us probably played second hand games cheaply back then.

It's definitely true they can play indie SP mind.

Last edited:
Interesting to see how much single player rises along side a person's age. While I do mix of the two as someone in their 50s, I do understand and appreciate the "people can just fuck off" mentality leading to it. That and sometimes I just want to be left alone with my escapism without having to deal with anyone, even friends.

Apart from Tekken 8, Gran Turismo 7 and Mario Kart 8 all the games I’ve bought this generation have been story driven, cinematic, third person and single player.

Apart from Sony’s first party titles every game I’ve bought this gen has been Japanese.

Me and the wife play them together and take turns. Also play Switch games with my daughter, mainly Mario.

Edit: they’ve all been physical too, and I make sure the full game is on the disc without requiring updates before paying full price.

Fuck digital.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Both equally.

I see mp like homecooked meals, you can eat 24/7 basically and sp like going out to dinner.

Both have pros and cons, but evens out, imo.

Last edited:

Griffon

Not surprised that younguns strive more for PVP, they still live with the illusion that they're good at games, but by 25 they realize they're mediocre at best.

Last edited:
I have always preferred single player games but I rarely play multiplayer games anymore which I did play a lot in my teens. A big reason why multiplayer games are popular amongst younger people especially children is that they don't have the patience or even concentration to invest in a single player game. They want that 5 minutes instant gratification that you can get in a multiplayer games. I don't get anything from multiplayer games anymore. I get more satisfaction now rolling the credits after a 3O hour game. Your brain does change as you get older.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I'm in a weird bucket: I generally prefer singleplayer (mods are a huge positive for me) but 4 out of my 5 most played games of all time are multiplayer.

hinch7

The most fun I've had with gaming is with friends/randos and still messing around in multiplayer games and matches so going with that.

Singleplayer games with decent mulitplayer modes kind of muddies the waters though.

Last edited:
*most of the 9000 people polled gave us data which was then extrapolated to the wider gaming population.

Not that I don't personally prefer SP, but I don't really believe the claim on its face.

The actual report is inaccessible unless you become a client of theirs, so no verification of methods or assumptions

tmlDan

thats not what im seeing according to the chart, less and less gamers will prefer single player as the older gen dies out.

Unless these people change their playing habits as they age, we'll see cause it's too early to tell with the GAAS gen.

I can't answer the poll, cause i love both

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

If it has any multiplayer including coop...
It's not single player.
With that being said I prefer games with multiple multiplayer modes Coop games being my game of choice.

MujkicHaris

I don't play them anymore but Call of Duty 1 and Battlefield 3 managed to get me seriously interested in playing multiplayer. CoD since my friends played and BF3 because I couldn't get enough of that sweet environment destruction and epic scale of maps. Still impressive.
Other than that, I only play single player.

Can't stand co-op.

The Saint

Single player. Not into stuff like Fortnite, Overwatch, Among us, Valorant, Pub G, etc. Speaking of single player games: New Yoko Taro game when? Since I do not game on PC, I only have access to the two Nier games. I want more Yoko Taro goodness in the form of Remakes, Remasters, and new games. Soulsborne fans have been eating good as well as Roguelikes/lites, but us Taro fans are starving.

Top Bottom