• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moving and caught something, not sure how to approach it.

R0ckman

So moving into a new place for rent to save a little bit of money for year to prepare for a new home in a year.

The place my small family is moving to for the time being is older and reading reviews I was aware that I was gambling, as locations on the lot are really good or really really bad, but I was shown several random places that had been moved out of recently which were actually all in great shape, some new some not but all very decent. Because of the rush we are in we did not have a perfect chance check everything out, just mold, and small other things.

The one we got was unfortunately not great in terms of health goes. As I was moving stuff in (thankfully not everything) my friend noticed on the 2nd floor that the floor was rotting and sinking, since he was heavier then me he could tell that it was sinking further away from the door and into the hall.

I'm under the impression that this is a health code violation in my location and that I may be able bring this to court for not being informed of this before hand. Unfortunately just started the lease agreement this weekend, but if this is truly a health violation I'm wondering if this is of no concern in regards to the lease, and that merely making a threat will be enough since I just started. I will have to agree to another lease at the place I'm moving away from, as there are no equal units available at the new location from what I understand, unless they open a better unit by the first of October for us to move to, no place for us to go for our size.

If I was still in college, I wouldn't really care. But I have a little one and another on the way. I'm not too fond of the thought of us falling through the top floor after more wear and tear. Which aparently happened in one of the older units more than 5 years ago or so. I'm not concerened about trying to get a lawyer as I have connections for help with that, but I was wondering from those with experience with leases if something serious like this happens what are the options and the possibilities to be aware of with this?

Thanks in advance!

Top Bottom