• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Driller DS - Video and Box

olimario

Banned
VIDEO
http://down.videogamerx.net/news/1115/mr_driller_drill_spirits.wmv

md.jpg

Wow, that looks fun as hell, and I agree with the music, but the gameplay looks a lot more engaging than what I played in the GBA incarnations. Silly Drill boss.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Apparently, the US saw PSOne, DC, and GBC incarnations of this series...

*proceeds to find and order them*

Beezy, from what I understand, you take the role of that little Driller dude, who has to drill down to the bottom of the pit (for whatever contrived reason) against the clock. In most incarnations, this 'clock' seems to be a constantly diminishing air supply. I imagine that's true for this DS version as well, but that boss thing seems to be a new element. You can dig in any direction, but rules of gravity apply. Unsupported blocks fall downwards. If you dig into a block of a color, and it is surrounded by blocks of the same color, all of those adjacent blocks get zapped. Also, if you blocks fall and form same-colored patterns of four or more blocks, those two get zapped, so it's possible to set up chains.

The thing is, every drill takes up air, so you have to carefully navigate and capture air supply capsules strewn about. Another complication is that there are junk blocks which can be removed one of two ways. Lining up four or more junk blocks to zap them all, or digging through them individually. Problem is, they take multiple drills (and thus more air) to break manually. They generally guard air capsules too.

Sounds like fun! Never played one before, but I think that's the gist of it.

Beezy

Thanks Mejilan. I think I'll be getting this whenever it comes out in the US. I need a new puzzle game. Last one I played was the GBA Puyo Pop. Good times, good times...

BTW, I just noticed the DS in Drill Spirits. Real clever Namco.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Lik most best puzzle games, I'm completely lost just looking at a video. I'll just get it if reviews are good enough, you have to play these things before you get them.

BuddyC

Mejilan said:
*downloading*

Did any other Driller games come out in the US?
They released one on PS1, though I've heard it didn't sell all that well.

edit: whoa, we had DC and GBC versions released here? damn.

Mejilan

Yeah, and DC and GBC releases too. Thanks. Pending confirmation of orders, I snagged all three, factory sealed!

BuddyC

Mejilan said:
Yeah, and DC and GBC releases too. Thanks. Pending confirmation of orders, I snagged all three, factory sealed!
If you have a modded GameCube (or if you're comfortable modding your GameCube or if you're okay with sending your GC away to get modded), you really owe it to yourself to get Drill Land. If you missed out on all the hype earlier this year, I'll be glad to give a refresher course.

BuddyC

Mejilan said:
Oh HELL. That Druaga mode sounds AWESOME. :/

Thanks for the impressions.
Supposedly, one of the GBA Drillers released in Japan had a mode quite similiar to Druaga. Some were even speculationg that a version of it would appear in Drill Spirits, though I've yet to hear one way or another.

You'll be missing out on the best game of the series by far then, Mejilan.

I'm about the biggest Driller fan you'll ever meet, and will definitely be buying a DS and Drill Spirits on day one, but even I have to admit that it looks like a pretty huge step back from the high bar set in Drill Land. In fact, it doesn't even seem to feature many of the elements that made the previous game, Mr Driller G (psx/arcade), so great. From the videos it looks just like plain old stripped-down Mr Driller yet again, like a quick port of Mr Driller A (gba) except without even the semi-cool Pacteria mode. None of the great modes introduced in Drill Land, like Drindy Adventure or Horror Night House, have been brought back. The music seems pretty painful, too - the tunes in the videos are all fantastic in their original (Drill Land) form, but these GBAish bleep-bloop versions are just not quite cutting it.

Of course, Drill Spirits looks like the best Driller game to find a US release so far, so that definitely counts for something.

BuddyC

bobbyconover said:
The music seems pretty painful, too - the tunes in the videos are all fantastic in their original (Drill Land) form, but these GBAish bleep-bloop versions are just not quite cutting it.
I just watched the video, and I can do nothing but agree there. That music was rather....meh. Makes me appreciate Drill Land that much more. It'd be nice if I could find a way to play DS and listen to the Drill Land OST at the same time (glances at iPod)...

Unison

I have the GBA version (somewhere...) and can't see how you can really play this with the stylus. It's way too fast-paced for that.

Mejilan

Namco has been strangely good in releasing games here in America. Druaga (holy crap), Baten Kaitos, Katamari Damacy (holy crap), Tales of Symphonia... and now a new Driller game, finally. I wish they'd bring over Driller Land. But to be frank, these kinds of games are more relevant as portable games, imho. I REALLY hope Driller DS has some of these Driller Land features, or at least the GBA ones that most resemble it.

But I'm not one for modding my consoles. I have a Free Loader and an import or two, but if Driller Land isn't fully compatible, then I don't see the point. :(

BuddyC

Mejilan said:
Namco has been strangely good in releasing games here in America. Druaga (holy crap), Baten Kaitos, Katamari Damacy (holy crap), Tales of Symphonia... and now a new Driller game, finally. I wish they'd bring over Driller Land. But to be frank, these kinds of games are more relevant as portable games, imho. I REALLY hope Driller DS has some of these Driller Land features, or at least the GBA ones that most resemble it.

But I'm not one for modding my consoles. I have a Free Loader and an import or two, but if Driller Land isn't fully compatible, then I don't see the point. :(
To be fair, the GameCube is ridiculously easy to mod if you're comfortable taking your system apart. In fact, it's the only system I've ever modded. All you do is stick two wires through two holes, secure it with electrical tape (or solder it, but meh) run them to a switch and bam, region mod.

I'd offer to mod the system for you, but I understand that you'd probably be rather hesitant, and rightfully so. Still, if there's anything in my power I can do to help someone experience Drill Land, it shall be done. Damnit bobby, what have you done to me?

BuddyChrist83 said:
I'd offer to mod the system for you, but I understand that you'd probably be rather hesitant, and rightfully so. Still, if there's anything in my power I can do to help someone experience Drill Land, it shall be done. Damnit bobby, what have you done to me?

I actually modded a cube for our very own Rummy Bunz just a week or two ago. He's the first one ever to take me up on the offer! Shipping cost a little more than I expected, but all in all it was probably way cheaper for him than having it 'professionally' done. And now he's lovin' the Drill Land in all its saveable glory.

I'm sorry to have dragged you into this never ending battle. Isn't it just the most frustrating thing ever when people won't listen to you?? Keep fighting the good fight, we'll win them over slowly.. One by one.

I actually don't mind the music. I recorded some when I got the chance to play it, and some of the tracks are really catchy. Obviously this is no Drill Land in terms of audio.

Can somebody give me a run-down on some strategies you need to use in the game? When I was playing, I pretty much just ran as fast as I could downward, not really know what I should be looking out for. Do you want to hit really large chunks to drop down far? Do you basically just try to out-run the falling debris from above?

BuddyC

bobbyconover said:
I actually modded a cube for our very own Rummy Bunz just a week or two ago. He's the first one ever to take me up on the offer! Shipping cost a little more than I expected, but all in all it was probably way cheaper for him than having it 'professionally' done. And now he's lovin' the Drill Land in all its saveable glory.

I'm sorry to have dragged you into this never ending battle. Isn't it just the most frustrating thing ever when people won't listen to you?? Keep fighting the good fight, we'll win them over slowly.. One by one.
Hey, it's a battle worth fighting. Drill Land is that awesome.

Top Bottom