• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Mr. McMahon" - 6 Part Netflix Documentary on Former WWE Chairman Vince McMahon Now Live

Supposedly a scathing burial of him. Haven't started watching yet.

These things are always scathing burials, nobody should be shocked that a rich asshole is, in fact, a rich asshole.
People don’t get to the top of multi-million dollar companies/industries by being decent human beings.
And the terrible part is people knew all along, and yet they still get that far. Cosby, Weinstein, Vince, Diddy, the list goes on and on. They are untouchable until suddenly they are, but shit should never get that far in the first place.
Wealth should not offer this much protection in the legal system. The elite really do live under a different set of laws and standards, and that shit is gross.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
These things are always scathing burials, nobody should be shocked that a rich asshole is, in fact, a rich asshole.
People don’t get to the top of multi-million dollar companies/industries by being decent human beings.

The interesting thing is that when this docu series started, Vince was under the impression that it was going to be a fluff-piece, he voluntarily contributed to it, before it took its final shape later. And after the Janel Grant thing came to light, they supposedly modified the docu-series to add that info in too. Based on the insider reporting, a lot of people at WWE aren't happy about this documentary either, cause it paints them in a broadly negative light.

Let's see how it turned out. Very interesting to release this on the eve of WWE starting a $5 billion deal with Netflix.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Been watching some just now. They’ve really skimmed over his childhood, which I can get since there’s a lot of material to cover and they probably want to get into the wrestling stuff. But Vince’s childhood seems like it was pretty fucked up. In an interview with Playboy he talked about getting sexually abused as a child and basically confirmed that his mother was the abuser.

Also, they’re letting him claim that his father’s terms for the a sale of the company were tough when they weren’t. That was the biggest and most profitable territory in the country. Yet he paid the same amount for Georgia and offered (because Stu Hart never actually got it) 75% of that amount for Stampede , neither of which would have been anywhere near as valuable. He got a very profitable company for under market price and could then use that company’s profits to complete the purchase. But Vince has to position himself as self made and getting a sweet deal from his dad doesn’t line up with that. Just a pity they couldn’t have had someone to counter that point.

The Stig

Been watching some just now. They’ve really skimmed over his childhood, which I can get since there’s a lot of material to cover and they probably want to get into the wrestling stuff. But Vince’s childhood seems like it was pretty fucked up. In an interview with Playboy he talked about getting sexually abused as a child and basically confirmed that his mother was the abuser.

Also, they’re letting him claim that his father’s terms for the a sale of the company were tough when they weren’t. That was the biggest and most profitable territory in the country. Yet he paid the same amount for Georgia and offered (because Stu Hart never actually got it) 75% of that amount for Stampede , neither of which would have been anywhere near as valuable. He got a very profitable company for under market price and could then use that company’s profits to complete the purchase. But Vince has to position himself as self made and getting a sweet deal from his dad doesn’t line up with that. Just a pity they couldn’t have had someone to counter that point.
yeah vince junior really got a sweetheart deal

adamsapple

Alright, watched the first couple of episodes.

Feels like a higher production budget version of a Dark Side of the Ring episode, nothing too earth shattering right now. Maybe later episodes will be spicier.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Watched the first 20 minutes on a treadmill at work. Starts off strong. I look forward to hearing from Brett Hart.

ManaByte

Gold Member

Feels like a higher production budget version of a Dark Side of the Ring episode, nothing too earth shattering right now. Maybe later episodes will be spicier.

They basically have him on camera admitting to rape. He says even if it was a rape, the statute of limitations has expired, so...

mcjmetroid

Kinda in the same boat.

I feel like the content is too basic for wrestling fans but too much for non fans.

I don't think non fans are gonna get into this so far.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
They basically have him on camera admitting to rape. He says even if it was a rape, the statute of limitations has expired, so...
I saw that. Made me go.
Oh No Mood GIF by Saturday Night Live

adamsapple

Yeah, this one caught me by surprise as well. What a dumb thing to say on Austin's part.

I can’t believe Vince sat down for all these hours of interviews

Reportedly he sat down for it because he assumed it was going to be a glorified puff-piece.

-

I also got a chuckle at Vince embodying the "I don't know her" meme when talking about Sable's lawsuits.

Last edited:
Sadly... not what I was hoping for.

More of a history of the WWE.
Yeah it's well made but I'm in the middle of episode 2 and it's really just bunch of storyline / history recaps we've heard a million times before. You're not even getting much of a peak behind the scenes or a look at the decision making process.

So far, it seems to be aimed at more of a general Netflix audience. It's 95% repeat information if you're any sort of wrestling nerd.

DKehoe

Sadly... not what I was hoping for.

More of a history of the WWE.
The amount of time they spend on the Snuka stuff is crazy for a documentary like this. I don't watch a huge amount of these true crime/expose style documentaries but I can't imagine another glazing over the fact that the subject (probably) covered up a murder. Instead we just get a bunch of time dedicated to retelling the Monday Night Wars stuff that's been retold a million times.

Worth pointing out that Netflix now have a deal with WWE for a bunch of their broadcasting rights. So even though Vince is no longer in the picture they perhaps still wouldn't want to delve too deep into shady shit in the company's history.

dorkimoe

Just starting episode 2. Had no idea he did all this entertainment stuff prior. I was a huge fan in the attitude era so all the previous stuff is new to me.

Edit I definitely watched the tail end of the new generation era too.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I don't know anything about WWE and I have one more episode left, but I found this wildly fascinating. I feel like I was dragged through the entire history of WWF and it was so enlightening. The plotline of vince impregnating his daughter is absolutely bonkers

also did vince kill owen ?

Last edited:

ZehDon

Finished watching with my wife over the weekend.

It veered more into a general history of WWE, which I suppose makes sense given Vince's control over it, and diverted back to Vince where it made sense. In that regard, it's pretty interesting and a good watch for anyone remotely interested. But Vince has too many people in his corner for this to be a proper documentary about him and what's really happened over his decades building WWE into what it is today. The last episode crammed in a lot of the most recent controversies in the last 20 minutes, and did little more than simply state that these controversies have occurred without offering up much else.

Still, I enjoyed it would recommend it all the way through. Fascinating to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of WWE laid out.

MMaRsu

As someone not familliar with wrestling besides some videogames and the more known wrestlers, I thought this was awesome to watch.
It was very cool to see him build up an empire. Vince seems to be a pretty sick guy. But also one hell of a business man

Soodanim

Finished off this yesterday after doing the first 5 the day before.

I enjoyed it, but it's a shame they had to fill time with stories about things that aren't strictly Vince. I get it, though Montreal doesn't really tell us too much. I've learned more from Cornette than anyone else on the Screwjob, it's a shame he wasn't on to provide the origin of it although we had Hunter claim reaponsibility in his own way. That goes for the whole thing really, I'm sure there are lots of small lies that more knowledgeable minds than mine will dissect.

The vague allusions to his rough early childhood help explain his later life state... And the incest storyline.

I generally I loved the editing. Commentary of lies over a feel of evidence to the contrary, like when they covered CTE (possibly the least Vince-related part of it all, we learned more about Steve there).

The funniest bit was Vince's right hand man Bruce moaning near the end.

Best talking head: Tony Atlas.

Last edited:
This feels like someone saw the Drive to Survive effect to make F1 popular and wanted to do it for wrestling. But D2S mainly works by making things more dramatic which is impossible with wrestling.

That said, Wrestlers on Netflix on a low level wrestling promotion is amazing.

ssringo

If anyone wants more insight check out Jim Cornette. His stuff is highly entertaining and has way more insight and information about wrestling and the business than most places.

He discusses each of the episodes in recent videos. His older deep dives are also fantastic and he's talked about Vince (both McMahon and Russo) at length.

DKehoe

If anyone wants more insight check out Jim Cornette. His stuff is highly entertaining and has way more insight and information about wrestling and the business than most places.

He discusses each of the episodes in recent videos. His older deep dives are also fantastic and he's talked about Vince (both McMahon and Russo) at length.

DX-Bananas.jpg

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I started it, saw who was going to be interviewed and turned it off. Not one of those people would tell you the truth. They’re all bought and paid for shills.

Plus with the contract with Netflix and and the WWE, there’s no way they really touch on the sex trafficking and rape that Vince and his boys did.

Top Bottom