• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Muhammad Ali Jr. detained by immigration officials at Fla. airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

But Muhammad Ali was a civil rights hero and he definitely wouldn't block traffic and he wouldn't support black lives matter.

Kephar

If they were getting off the plane to go home and had American passports I don't really get why security would even bother them. It's not like there was anything to be suspicious of considering they were Americans and Jamaica isn't exactly a hotbed of terrorism. Even if they thought they were suspicious it's not like they could deny entry to a citizen. This was really dumb from top to bottom, absolutely no reason for them to hold the son for over 2 hours on something like this.

GhaleonEB

Mancini said he and the Ali family are contemplating filing a federal lawsuit and are currently trying to find out how many other people have been subjected to the same treatment as Ali Jr.

"Imagine walking into an airport and being asked about your religion," he said. "This is classic customs profiling."
I really hope they sue the hell out of them. Blatantly racist, and blatantly illegal.

What a horrific turn this country has taken.

I feel like when I have a kid and they get older like 15-20 years from now, they will be watching historical documentaries in Modern American History class that just consist of long video montages of current news stories during the Trump presidency set to depressing or sad instrumental/violin music with interviews with people from today just being like WTF?

Evie

Neo Member
Wow.

"Welcome to America. Where you are free to practice whichever religion you believe. Oh except this one... Oh also that one and this one. Otherwise it's fine."

This stuff really bothers me. I'll be traveling out of the country for the first time ever in a little over a month and now I'm scared about what could happen when I try to get back in.

stuminus3

The irony of this is pretty much Trump sliding his cock in America's throat, but it's tiny and blistered and there's flakes and pus coming off it so it's gross and not fun at all like sucking a normal dick is.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
kXiHCDD.jpg

Jinroh

People just start to realize it because of Trump, but wake up guys, it's always been like that. It's just that some people feel more confident it will go unanswered. The amount of hypocrisy is goddamn high.

I knew an Indian guy here in Switzerland who was adopted by a relatively rich family. First time he went to the US he was the only Swiss from the plane who had to go through the immigration check. Go figure, he was the only brown person. It was more than 10 years ago, it's nothing new.

swarley64

Whoopsy daisy!

Seriously? They didn't recognize the name? His mom got through no problem, but they had to hold him an extra two hours?

MKIL65

Mancini said officials held and questioned Ali Jr. for nearly two hours, repeatedly asking him, "Where did you get your name from?

Nearly 2 hours... If that isn't paranoia, then I don't know what is.

Please sue them, and call them out for what they are.

DBT85

People just start to realize it because of Trump, but wake up guys, it's always been like that. It's just that some people feel more confident it will go unanswered. The amount of hypocrisy is goddamn high.

I knew an Indian guy here in Switzerland who was adopted by a relatively rich family. First time he went to the US he was the only Swiss from the plane who had to go through the immigration check. Go figure, he was the only brown person. It was more than 10 years ago, it's nothing new.

The "your brown or have a weird name" check has been there for years.

Stopping people with American passports never happened this much. There was the NASA guy the other week too.

Zoggy

You can sue for this??

Because I got held for 4 hours in customs because I came back from Pakistan. Even another officer asked me "aren't you a citizen? Why are you still here?"

Fucking bullshit

joe2187

Banned
Muhamad Ali was mentioned by trump in Trumps Weekly address this morning even.

And then goes on to blame the lack of jobs and opportunities for black americans on immigrants and foreigners.

entremet

We need internal memos leaked. Because as the Muslim ban is currently written, even how crazy it is now, does not justify a citizen being detained in this fashion.

I'm upping my ACLU contribution.

Degen

Sue the hell out of them just to set an example. This treatment probably happens every day with no consequence.

Shoeless

Wow.

"Welcome to America. Where you are free to practice whichever religion you believe. Oh except this one... Oh also that one and this one. Otherwise it's fine."

This stuff really bothers me. I'll be traveling out of the country for the first time ever in a little over a month and now I'm scared about what could happen when I try to get back in.

If you're white, you'll probably be fine. If you're not... hope for the best.

Some people I know that have to travel through the US now are also taking the following precautions:

1) They're digging out their old "dumb" cellular phones, strictly for phonecalls.

2) They're not bringing any tablet or laptop.

This way when they get stopped at customs, they can honestly surrender everything they have, and don't have to give up their passwords so their devices can be pored over. It's sad that it's come down to this when traveling through the US, but people are having their devices randomly inspected now, this is the only way to feasibly avoid it for the moment.

Aselith

If you're white, you'll probably be fine. If you're not... hope for the best.

Some people I know that have to travel through the US now are also taking the following precautions:

1) They're digging out their old "dumb" cellular phones, strictly for phonecalls.

2) They're not bringing any tablet or laptop.

This way when they get stopped at customs, they can honestly surrender everything they have, and don't have to give up their passwords so their devices can be pored over. It's sad that it's come down to this when traveling through the US, but people are having their devices randomly inspected now, this is the only way to feasibly avoid it for the moment.

We have to do this. I mean most of the time, it's nothing but every once in a while....

Bgyy5dV.gif

I really hope they file a lawsuit because this is definitely a form of discrimination even for US citizens. The constitution still applies to them even when they are at the borders and I hope the officers who detained him are fired.

Zaphod

Many muslims have served, fought, and died for this country. They should make those shitbag agents clean the Arlington gravestones of those true heros so they have an opportunity to realize what anti-American pieces of shit they really are.

Jinroh

Stopping people with American passports never happened this much. There was the NASA guy the other week too.
Well at least now racism is the same for everyone! It always astounded my that the US had become so extreme in airports for international flights after 9/11 when terrorists used local flights.

If it can open the american citizen's eyes to these kind of awful practices, good. It needs to disappear.

Garlador

Muhammad Ali - "Presidential Candidates Proposing to Ban Muslim Immigration to the United States’."

I am a Muslim and there is nothing Islamic about killing innocent people in Paris, San Bernardino, or anywhere else in the world. True Muslims know that the ruthless violence of so called Islamic jihadists goes against the very tenets of our religion.

We as Muslims have to stand up to those who use Islam to advance their own personal agenda. They have alienated many from learning about Islam. True Muslims know or should know that it goes against our religion to try and force Islam on anybody.

Speaking as someone who has never been accused of political correctness, I believe that our political leaders should use their position to bring understanding about the religion of Islam and clarify that these misguided murderers have perverted people's views on what Islam really is.

He knew it was coming and spoke out. Trump's a bigot and moron, and Ali saw right through his intentions.

And now it comes full-circle with his son.

mr_nexus

Banned
Land of the free unless we don't like you're religion, skin color, class, sexual preference, etc.

America, you got to take your country back before it's unrecognizable.

Garlador

Land of the free unless we don't like you're religion, skin color, class, sexual preference, etc.

America, you got to take your country back before it's unrecognizable.

My petition to redub America as "Trumpland" might actually pass, given our president's enormous ego.

Doc_Drop

Wait, what?

They can't go through your laptops and phones can they? The fuck?

Glix

Umm, this dude and his mother are FREQUENT international travelers and have never been detained once prior to this.

I think mostly everyone here is aware that you have a greater chance of a border issue if you are brown and have a foriegn name but they are doubling down on this shit now its a whole new ballgame

I read this story yesterday and was very disappointed but not surprised by it. I hope they go through with the lawsuit and that it can open some eyes as to how ridiculous things are getting in this country.

Ha, you got me

I didn't get the reference until your post. Now I feel ashamed to have not understood it earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom