• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Muhammed Ali Jr detained again at airport after testifying in congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

faisal233

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/muhammad-ali-jr-reportedly-detained-again-at-airport-9198218

Two weeks ago, Muhammad Ali Jr. was detained at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport and questioned about his religion. It was an outrageous enough moment for the son of America's greatest athlete (and most famous Muslim) that Ali Jr. testified before Congress yesterday about putting a stop to such blatant religious discrimination.

So of course, on his way back to Fort Lauderdale today, Ali Jr. says he was yet again detained at Reagan National Airport by the Department of Homeland Security. This time, however, Ali Jr. hadn't even left the country.

The family's lawyer, Chris Mancini, tells New Times that Ali Jr. had been flying around the country using a valid Illinois State ID (not a driver's license), which expires in 2019. The card had worked fine all month.

Yesterday, Ali Jr. testified about his February detention in front of a United States Senate Democratic Subcommittee. And one day after publicly criticizing Donald Trump and his Muslim travel ban, his ID magically stopped working at Reagan National.

"This was directly in retaliation for what happened," Mancini says. "I don't care what they say. Homeland Security needs to explain why, two days ago, he could fly, but all of a sudden two days later, he can't fly."

Mancini says Ali Jr. was questioned about his date-of-birth, social-security number, and mother's name, but was still denied entry to the flight. Thankfully, he was carrying his U.S. Passport, and Mancini say that document earned him a trip home.

Even if Ali Jr. had forgotten his passport entirely, the TSA still would have had processes available to let him on the flight. Travelers who forget to bring identification can simply fill out a TSA form to verify their identities.

In a twist of fate, Ali Jr. ended up on the same JetBlue flight as Florida Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, who tweeted out the news.
Looks like somebody at the TSA earned a promotion.

entremet

This is where the Republican critique of expanding government overreach makes total sense.

But...

It was a GOP Congress and Presidency that approved the creation of the TSA.

faisal233

This is where the Republican critique of expanding government overreach makes total sense.

projection.jpg

They were trying to warn us!!!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Btw you don't actually need an id to fly domestically as I discovered one day when my daughter had decided to reorganize my wallet.

If you're white that is.

They let me fly with a short chat and a couple of credit cards.

ItIsOkBro

Btw you don't actually need an id to fly domestically as I discovered one day when my daughter had decided to reorganize my wallet.

If you're white that is.

Stinkles
Clothed, sober, cooperative, white

Slayven

If you're white that is.

I wish i could live the Stinkles' life for a day

Mr. X

If you're white that is.

Redefining "white flight"

At this point, whenever/if ever the Dems take control, there needs to be a serious, serious purge of these agencies. I don't know if I would go as far as to say it needs to be upheaved up to bottom, but it needs serious deconstruction and rebuilding.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
TSA and custom agents are almost as bad as cops. Power hungry racist Cunts. Hope they get fired.

FyreWulff

If you're white that is.

I shit you not I did it once with a credit card and a library card that I had written my own name on when I forgot my ID

milkham

I shit you not I did it once with a credit card and a library card that I had written my own name on when I forgot my ID

I had been flying around with a learner's permit which was expired for over a year. When it got around to 2 years expired I got through at JFK fine, but for my return flight I got an angry short chat from a TSA guy in L.A. who let me through eventually based on the other contents of my wallet.

At this point, whenever/if ever the Dems take control, there needs to be a serious, serious purge of these agencies. I don't know if I would go as far as to say it needs to be upheaved up to bottom, but it needs serious deconstruction and rebuilding.

Rebuild America 2018 / 2020 ?

I mean, they do say hindsight is 20/20, so that seems like something to take advantage of.

If you're white that is.

Something similar happened with my wife on our way to Las Vegas. She didn't realize her drivers license was expired. They pointed it out and let her pass through anyway.

Ogodei

TSA, CBP, and ICE need purged top-to-bottom once the country gets sane again. In an ideal world, they'd all be fired and then re-hired only after a thorough evaluation, but that would be too disruptive, so we'll just have to settle for a fine-tooth-comb investigation of every single employee.

Damn.

epmode

If you're white that is.

Same thing happened to me. Forgot my license but they still let me on after I panicked and showed all of my other cards.

I am super white!

Ya one time I lost my ID on the way to the airport and they let me on the plane after having my picture taken in a photo booth and having someone I was with sign a piece of paper saying they swear I am who I am with that photo taped to that piece of paper. White here.

Fucking hell. I was a danger to society back then too. This was all inside Canada tho. Still. Fucked up.

Are you fucking kidding me? This is blatant racism.

Here's a question for lawyer GAF, assuming he's going to sue the fuck out of the TSA - and he'd be an idiot not to file suit - are the millions upon millions of dollars he will get from a settlement come from federal funds, ie taxpayer money, or do federal agencies have like insurance to cover the eleventy billion dollars the jury is going to hand him?

MarionCB

If Trump does defund the TSA, nothing was lost?

He's only defunding the useful parts of it.

TSA cuts:

Training for the what's known as the ”armed pilot" program, begun after 9-11, would be eliminated at a savings of $20 million. The training was intended to prepare pilots and crew for the attempted armed takeover of an aircraft.

An additional $57 million would be saved by cutting a program that sends armed teams of highly-trained uniformed agents to sweep airports, train stations and bus terminals. Commonly known as the VIPR program (for Visible Intermodel Prevention and Response teams), they were deployed to Reagan National Airport, Dulles International Airport, Baltimore-Washington International Marshall Airport, Amtrak's Union Station and subway stations to guard against terrorist attacks during President Trump's inauguration.

The $45 million in grants that local law enforcement uses to patrol in and around airports also would be eliminated.

The fourth program slated for elimination uses specially trained TSA agents to watch passenger behavior in the airport, and particularly as fliers approach checkpoints, to single out those who appear to behave oddly.

One day, I hope I can travel to USA and not get "randomly selected" for interrogation. Until then, I hope there is massive reform to stop the bigotry.

God damn reading some of y'all's posts in here. I need a passport and three forms of other photo ID on me at all times just to get through the gate at the bus depot.

Must be nice, not gonna lie, little envious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom