• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiethnic cast of Wachowski & JMS' series, "Sense8", includes transgender character

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds interesting.. But the white folks get all the interesting jobs and prospects while the African character is a bus driver? Really?

the icelandic girl and the german arguably don't have jobs!

also, in africa there is rather a lot of buses.....

Platy

I think Laverne Cox on OITNB might be the first transwoman actress playing a transwoman on TV as a starring role, but there have been a number of trans characters played by cis women (Rebecca Romjin as Alexis Meade on Ugly Betty is an American TV example that comes to mind, but there are others.)

The real advance will happen when they hire a transgender person to play a cisgender person in a big series/movie

And by cisgender person I mean like a transgender woman playing a cisgender woman

Hindle

Banned
I like how they're actually filming in 8 different cities. Each episode should have its own unique look which is awesome. So far, this is looking to be the first intriguing new show of the year.

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/444617553361371136/photo/1

Location scouting today in Iceland for Sense8. Now if only I could find the location...or the rest of the cars.... pic.twitter.com/UdmhLmNiPW

biuztygcaaawypgggjjt.jpg

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...Wachowskis-next-film/articleshow/32789361.cms

We have learnt from sources that Hollywood's famous director duo, the Wachowskis, who directed the entire franchise of The Matrix are currently in talks with our veteran actor Anupam Kher for a role in their upcoming film.

While Anupam chose not to divulge details of the film he is being considered for, we will wait and watch for this big announcement.

If true, perhaps it's going to be Sense8? I mean that's the only upcoming project of the Wachowskis that hasn't been shot yet, plus as far as we know it does include some shooting in Mumbai..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anupam_Kher

Anupam Kher (born 7 March 1955) is an Indian actor who has appeared in nearly 470 films and 100 plays. Though mainly appearing in Bollywood (Hindi) films, he has had roles in some films from other nations as well most notably the 2013 Oscar nominated Silver Linings Playbook, directed by David O. Russell.

i think every brown dude who has had to sit through indian films knows this dude. kuch kuch hota hai, god damn a large portion of the world has probably seen that.

he was also in bend it like beckham. this show sounds cheesy as hell but i do commend them for truly aiming for a multi ethnic cast.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Dash_

Without wishing to pick, transgender people are transgender, not transgendered (i.e. suffering from an afflicted condition).

ivysaur12

Banned
This was one of the most pretentious, self-indulgent scripts I've read in a really long time -- it takes the worst parts of Cloud Atlas and magnifies them.

The only character who actually is a character and not a stereotypical set piece is the transgender character, for what it's worth. Otherwise? Almost categorically silly.

Mesoian

Why does it make me think of Heroes...?

Because this is basically the plot of the first season of Heroes, minus super powers.

Or maybe it does have super powers.

But yeah, the overarching plot of this show sounds like quite a few other shows that have come before it. All we can hope for is that it has some pretty interesting ideas along the way. Sum of it's parts and all that.

Magic..negro..

Eh, look on the bright side. He could have been a cyborg. That's usually the black stereotype in Scifi.

Who cares. Didn't orange is the new black already do this?

tumblr_n4ysbgkSfp1sky7ayo1_500.gif

Exciting news! Bae Doona to join a new Wachowski picture that shoots in Korea. It's obviously Sense8. This is the third time she collaborates with them (Cloud Atlas, Jupiter Ascending, Sense8)

http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/9...nother-wachowski-film-to-be-shot-in-korea.htm

The South Korean beauty is now in talks to appear in a third Wachowski project that will be filmed partly in Korea.

Bae has already worked with "Matrix" producers Lana and Andy Wachowski twice. The film, which has yet to be titled, will begin shooting in September and is already in pre-production with both an American and a Korean team.

doona-bae-cloud-atlaspuu1s.jpg

For this San Francisco shoot The Wachowskis were behind the cameras and they gave a mini interview: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/entertain...8-Netflix-Series-San-Francisco-263721841.html

wakowskis54s09.jpg

A mini dyke march of 10 motorcycles repeatedly rumbled down a block of 18th Street in San Francisco Wednesday, as The Matrix masterminds Andy and Lana Wachowski stood behind a bank of monitors watching the images captured by the multi-camera crew.

Between takes Wednesday, Lana Wachowski took a break and chatted with spectators standing in front of the Women’s Building on 18th Street as the crew reset. Most didn’t know who she was, so we took the opportunity to pepper her with a few questions.

Wachowski said the show will be 10 episodes, focusing on eight characters in eight different cities around the world.

Lana Wachowski also said that they would be filming more scenes on Saturday, June 28, during the actual dyke march, which starts at Dolores Park and heads down 18th Street before turning onto Valencia Street.

As the crew was breaking down around 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, Andy Wachowski confirmed that Wednesday marked the first day of production, with three more weeks scheduled for San Francisco.

https://missionlocal.org/2014/06/netflix-science-fiction-series-shoots-here-pride-next/

Motorcycles carrying passengers in a multi-colored rally sped back and forth on Valencia between 18th and Guerrero this afternoon for the filming of the upcoming Netflix television series Sense8.

The motorcycle stunt filmed today is meant to take place at San Francisco Pride on the weekend of the 28th. “We’re shooting the close-ups we won’t be able to get at Pride,” a crewmember said. “But we’ll be shooting at Pride in a couple of weeks.”

On Wednesday afternoon, police had cordoned off the two blocks needed for a dozen motorcycles to race back and forth. Crew members swamped Valencia shouting “Rolling!” whenever a scene began.

Sense8 tells the story of eight people spread over the United States, London, Berlin, Seoul, Iceland, Mexico City, Nairobi and Mumbai who have acquired psychic powers that allow them to communicate with one another, according to an interview given by Straczynski to zap2it.

None of that was apparent from the motorcycle scene, which featured a mixture of Hells Angels-esque motorcycle chicks and bikini-clad women waving at an imaginary crowd.

Straczynski told zap2it that they’re playing this very close to the chest, and indeed the set was veiled in secrecy, with crew members unable to speak about the content of the series. But a glimpse of Lana Wachowski in a rainbow wig ahead of racing motorcycles tells you she’s at least involved in the San Francisco sequences.

And it seems there will be more of them.

“We’re shooting all over San Francisco,” another crewmember said. And with Pride just a few weeks away, it may be possible to get another peek of a series that brings together some of science fiction’s greatest minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom