• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mushihimesama HD |OT| • An STG by Tsuneki Ikeda

So NCS had this to say about Mushihimesama HD yesterday (Monday):

Some of our Japanese vendors have shipped the regular and limited editions of Mushihimesama HD last night and we should receive the first batches tomorrow. We should be able to process and ship approximately 60% of our reservations tomorrow, another 30% by Wednesday, and the remainder on Thursday. Reservations will be processed in the order they were received.

There's a chance we'll be able to process the bulk of our preorders tomorrow if everything arrives but the 60/30/10 shipment allocation is our attempt at being conservative on the possibility of shipments being delayed due to inclement weather, acts of God, and other nettlesome events.

Please note that NCS will begin processing transactions for Mushihimesama HD later this afternoon so we can alert customers if there are any billing issues before preorders ship tomorrow.

EDIT: And an update today (Tuesday):

The first batches of Mushihimesama HD have arrived and roughly 80% of our preorders will ship today. The remaining shipments should arrive by tomorrow or Thursday and the remaining 20% of our preorders and new orders will ship in the next 1-2 days.

So I feel like a dipshit asking this when I already asked in the Cave thread, but... how much is shipping for AmiAmi to get something like this sent to the US?

No idea if you're after the cheap shipping - I always ship EMS or equivalent and never really worry about shipping cost. You're probably best off emailing them if you really have to know.

Yes Boss!

Yep, Shipped Too! From NCSX. Both versions. Such a cute covers. Hope folks post their packages here...especially the LE.

Don't get back to cali till July and no J-360 there :-( So gonna be a bit before I can play.

Definitely picking up a new J-360 in Japan for my holiday in cali. Gonna be mushi month with these, the iOS version and Tama PCB!!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Watched a vid of a couple of the game's stages... I don't remember stage 4 at all from back when I had the PS2 version (didn't play much of it, and I was a credit-feeding loser anyway), but holy shit. The music and visuals in that level are like... PERFECT. I'm tempted to drive 4 hours to my apartment at school and grab my Japanese 360 just so I can play this.

ghibli99

FYI, this is the same interview I linked in the Cave megathread. It also has a more complete translation:
Asada: I like Arrange mode. It has a "whatever you do, you'll make it" level of difficulty and is fun to play. When I played the X360's Ultra mode I thought, "Who made this?!" (laughs) Could they even clear the first stage?

Ikeda: Ah, I wonder...

Asada: Personally, I was barely able to clear the first stage. You know, at the vendor meetings when we asked them to play the Ultra stage, wasn't it embarassing? I'm sure they thought "what the hell is this..." (laughs)
LOL... wow, I have to try this Ultra mode!

Zeth

This is the game that will finally force me to buy a J360 in the near future (Ketsui/DOJ are a nice addition). Shame I'll probably miss the 1.5 bonus :(

Are there any good HD videos of this yet? I' really liked the iOS port, but the assets are really low res.

epmode

So I haven't done this in a while and I don't want to screw it up:

Would it be better to redeem the DLC code under my Japanese Live account or should I use my normal USA account?

jbueno

Sorry, I thought Cave liked money. I assumed they wanted to sell as many copies as possible. But hey -- Region locked import discs of niche titles. All you, Cave. Do your thing.

Well Guwange as far as I know flopped badly on XBLA, and that was an International simultaneous release. We were even supposed to get Dangun Feveron as well, but they cancelled it. Hell, there´s a perfectly playable DoDonPachi which looks to be ready for a standalone digital release, but instead it is hidden as an unlockable in Intant Brain.

Surely based on the number of retail based releases one can think that those are more profitable for them. I know at least the NTSC-J Deathsmiles release was a great success for Cave.

epmode

I bought it but I'm still not a huge fan of Guwange. They would have done better with a different game.

Also, something something Steam something.

My wallet is going to hate me for this, but I ordered it. I swear this is the only other import this year besides SRW Z2-2.

Tain

Sorry, I thought Cave liked money. I assumed they wanted to sell as many copies as possible. But hey -- Region locked import discs of niche titles. All you, Cave. Do your thing.

Take this tired "these games are totally awesome but at the same time worthless" bullshit to another thread or shmups forum or something, thanks.

Shmups.com forums doesn't like that kind of complaining, and cave-stg will flat out ban you for it. Considering some PCBs cost as much as an import 360 and a couple 360 Cave games combined..

Just got my copy. I'm glad the version 1.5 DLC is only 1.87mb, since I don't have a hard drive for my J360. Gonna go play it now.

shaowebb

Just got my copy. I'm glad the version 1.5 DLC is only 1.87mb, since I don't have a hard drive for my J360. Gonna go play it now.

Wait...so is Mushihimesama HD region locked or is it region free? I'm trying to keep up with all the cave threads lately and for awhile I even thought this game was going to get a US release confusing it with Akai Katana by mistake so bare with me here for being confused.

I made it to stage 4 with 4 lives on my first credit, but I still managed to game over before making it to stage 5. I think I died twice by crashing into those giant dragonflies. derp

I was going to say that Reco is a lot slower than I was expecting, but then I realized that it's only W-Power that's slow as hell. Think I'll stick with S or M.

Wait...so is Mushihimesama HD region locked or is it region free? I'm trying to keep up with all the cave threads lately and for awhile I even thought this game was going to get a US release confusing it with Akai Katana by mistake so bare with me here for being confused.

I haven't tested it myself, but I'm 99.9999999% sure it's region locked.

shaowebb

It is region locked.

I made it to stage 4 with 4 lives on my first credit, but I still managed to game over before making it to stage 5. I think I died twice by crashing into those giant dragonflies. derp

I was going to say that Reco is a lot slower than I was expecting, but then I realized that it's only W-Power that's slow as hell. Think I'll stick with S or M.

I haven't tested it myself, but I'm 99.9999999% sure it's region locked.

:C
All of my frown.

Actually is Cave expected to do any more region free games at all?

shaowebb

With RSG so willing to localize, they have no motivation to.

Okay, stream done - you can still watch the recording of my plays (and zero-day leaderboard replays) until whenever Twitch decides to delete them.

Also, I got the top score on the Ultra leaderboard! (lol)

Daaaaaaaaaaamn that is some tight dodging you do in those replays. Mushihimesama looks interesting because its bullet trail is so big compared to other shmups I've played that it makes top screen hugging a lot more viable. Thats usually a risky deal when I do it, but it looks so devastating to do anything less watching you play Mushihimesama given how fast enemy projectiles pop out . It looked like you actually were going for more bullet hits before they enter firing mode to insure the kill came in time not to get trapped in those vids StarCreator. Usually, I hang toward lower screen for maximum spread of bullets for both me and my enemies (especially since I need their bullets to spread out to dodge in most of the patterns).

Is Mushihimesama considered harder than others from Cave? Because it looks it to me from some of the stuff you did in those vids.

Daaaaaaaaaaamn that is some tight dodging you do in those replays. Mushihimesama looks interesting because its bullet trail is so big compared to other shmups I've played that it makes top screen hugging a lot more viable. Thats usually a risky deal when I do it, but it looks so devastating to do anything less watching you play Mushihimesama given how fast enemy projectiles pop out . It looked like you actually were going for more bullet hits before they enter firing mode to insure the kill came in time not to get trapped in those vids StarCreator. Usually, I hang toward lower screen for maximum spread of bullets for both me and my enemies (especially since I need their bullets to spread out to dodge in most of the patterns).

Is Mushihimesama considered harder than others from Cave? Because it looks it to me from some of the stuff you did in those vids.

Just to be sure, there are replays from the leaderboard along with my own play - I'm not very good and just sit there doing figure eights on the bottom half of the screen mostly. The best I pulled off tonight was 1.2 billion in arrange (the current leaderboard best is 3.8 billion).

shaowebb

Just to be sure, there are replays from the leaderboard along with my own play - I'm not very good and just sit there doing figure eights on the bottom half of the screen mostly. The best I pulled off tonight was 1.2 billion in arrange (the current leaderboard best is 3.8 billion).

Oh whoops! I watched leaderboard theater kusoplay and shat bricks. My bad. Yeah I fly around on bottoms in games like these too, but that vid I watched was mind blowing. Dude was top riding the stage and was still in strafes when some of the bullets popped at him point blank (and missed O_O )

Dude in that top vid is crazy, but skilled enough to be that crazy. Me I rely on low riding with wide spread shots in bullet hells so that I can extend my bullet trails over the maximum field of the screen to eliminate the most bullet sources from enemies. Failing that I look for ships like the "Charge" ship in Jamestown or guys like Roger Sasuke who have a slow moving/big damage bomb I can fling forward. I fling it and strafe away and let it handle one side of the screen while I use my other attacks to clear the opposite side. You can safely handle about half to two thirds the screen using these and these kinds of ships pound boss fights. Either ship type I ride low on the screen though in top downs and I only go in tight on tougher enemies that don't die quick and I only rush em down after bullet volleys. That dude was going in raw pre-spawn of the enemy and chest bumping them going "you want some! You WANT SOME!" and firing like hell into them offing them before a full volley could kick. Absolutely insane.

I haven't played Mushihimesama, but I stand by that it looks like some of the bullets from enemies fire faster in it than in other bullethells I've played. As I've said I've played the entire mobile light force/castle shikigami series and twinkle star sprites along with several indie games. I only keep mentioning fantasy zone, because its one of the few sidescroll shooters I was ever addicted to even though its not bullethell. Its my only point of reference building into things like Deathsmiles and Akai Katana from Cave.

Mushihimesama looks kind of tough to me though. Whats your take on it as someone with more bullethell experience?

EDIT: Man we need an all purpose Bullet Hell/ shmup community thread and some kind of tourney streaming for all these. So much love for these games and so much strategy comes into play in character/ship selection per stages. Plus there have been games like Twinkle Star Sprites that were MADE for competitive play. Just check out this tourney that was streamed and commentated on by the Retro Rumble guys. Twinkle Star Sprites Tourney

I would friggin' LOVE for us to get streaming and commentary going on these.

manzo

I think I should've sold the god-awful PS2 port when I ordered this.

Anyway, still waiting for mine. Yesasia takes around 2 weeks to ship shit out to Finland. :(

Got my crappy first 1cc of Original out of the way - finished with 30,552,465. I think I died twice on stage 2 in this run, which is usually more than enough for a rage-restart, but this time I just said fuggit. Gonna try out 1.5 Original now.

edit: 1.5 seems pretty awesome. There are way more enemies, bullet cancels give way more gems, pressing laser sucks up the ground gems like in Futari, and enemy bullets move slower, which makes most of the hard patterns from the original game much easier to dodge. Also, pressing down focuses your options now, so tapping A while holding C doesn't do extra damage.

edit 2: 1cc'd 1.5 Original too, with 51m. It's fun, but I think it's a little too easy.

edit 2: 1cc'd 1.5 Original too, with 51m. It's fun, but I think it's a little too easy.

That's what Original Max is for.

Oh whoops! I watched leaderboard theater kusoplay and shat bricks. My bad.

During the broadcast, I switched the title from kusoplay (when I was playing) to leaderboard replay theater (when I wasn't). The recordings of the broadcast don't let me switch on the fly like that, so I had to mix the titles a bit. Sorry if that confused you.

My best run of the night (on Arrange) was on this video at 35:17.

There's a 780m replay up for Original Max (which is about 9x higher than the #2 score lol). It's pretty much exactly like Futari BL Original: pointblank everything before it comes on screen and preemptively dodge lightning fast bullets. It's still very fun from a survival standpoint, but I don't think I'll bother spending much time with it since I don't like the scoring.

Tried out Arrange mode. It seems really good. I don't really know how the scoring system works with all of the rapid fire settings and stuff, but I got 2 billion up to the TLB. Then I credit fed to finish him off. I can't believe Asada said that you should quit playing shooting games if you can't beat this. That better have been a god damn joke.

epmode

I'm going to be That Guy and bump my own post:

So I haven't done this in a while and I don't want to screw it up:

Would it be better to redeem the DLC code under my Japanese Live account or should I use my normal USA account?

I have a feeling that it will only work with the Japanese account but I'd like to be sure I don't waste a one-use code.

I have a feeling that it will only work with the Japanese account but I'd like to be sure I don't waste a one-use code.

Almost positive you'd have to use your Japanese account. Futari's DLC being on all marketplaces was an exception, not the norm. I didn't even bother trying to use Mushi HD's code on my main account.

The worst that can happen is that it doesn't work, though.

kaioshade

Shmups.com forums doesn't like that kind of complaining, and cave-stg will flat out ban you for it. Considering some PCBs cost as much as an import 360 and a couple 360 Cave games combined..

Which cracks me up because people on both of those forums complained that Dodonpachi Resurrection would not work on their NTSC-J 360 systems.

shaowebb

That's what Original Max is for.

During the broadcast, I switched the title from kusoplay (when I was playing) to leaderboard replay theater (when I wasn't). The recordings of the broadcast don't let me switch on the fly like that, so I had to mix the titles a bit. Sorry if that confused you.

My best run of the night (on Arrange) was on this video at 35:17.

Nice run. I like the tightening of the satellites that you do to try to speed up killing tougher enemies without having to rush em down up close so badly. This looks much easier than the other guy's tactic of playing which was point blank memorization of enemies. At stage 3 I see what you mean by your tactic of running figure 8's. That worked really well on that stage and kept the wall of stuff from getting too compressed by forcing them to aim over a wider area .

BOTEC

Dude beat me to it. I was going to post some package shots, but I was waiting for my coworkers to leave for the day before pulling out teh animu videogame.

Yes Boss!

Always nice to see packaging! Especially for folks who won't get the game for a month or two (like myself). Been checking shmups and cave-stg, but no luck on the LE. This is a nice compare pic, though. Looks like the SE art is on the back of the LE!

mushi.jpg

Waiting to see what the LE looks like (insides), if folks got theirs and want to post. Found lots of pics of the SE on google:

http://www.tikisaurus.com/blog/360/pickup-5-24-2012-mushihime-sama-hd.html

I can grab some photos later but there isn't really much to see besides what's been posted on NCS's website. Box is two pieces, pulls cleanly apart. First thing you see inside is the arrange CD, held in place by folded cardboard. Remove CD and cardboard, you have game case. Has the same front cover art as the outer box, back cover is identical to standard edition (I think). DLC voucher is inside game case.

Tain

Got my crappy first 1cc of Original out of the way - finished with 30,552,465. I think I died twice on stage 2 in this run, which is usually more than enough for a rage-restart, but this time I just said fuggit.

How would you say 1.5's difficulty levels compare to Mushihimesama's?

kaioshade

What does this have to do with the post you're replying to?

It was the irony is being banned (or severely chastised) for complaining about Cave region locking their games to JPN systems. When DDPR was released those same people complained about it not working on JPN systems.

Anyway, back on topic.

Jumped in for the LE, I played the PS2 port of Mushihimesama, and didnt think it was so bad. Then again i also did not have an original cab to compare it to. It will be interesting to see how this goes.

meppi

Mine also shipped this afternoon. :D

Along with a brand new JP 360 and a couple other shoot em ups including the limited edition of Ketsui.

Hoping for a Saturday delivery, but that's a long shot.
Will probably get my box on Tuesday. Damn you Monday holiday!!!
On the positive side, I have the whole week off from work so I'll be able to play as much as I want! :)

Top Bottom