• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Music-Age: Album of the Year 2010!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bento

Tried searching but couldn't find a AOTY thread and since we're in December now I thought it might be about time to do this. Lock if old, etc.

I'll start this by saying that I think 2010 has been a pleasant surprise overall and great way to kick off this new decade be it by reintroducing some old favorites or presenting new talents that could make a big splash in the years to come. The only noteworthy disappointment to me has been the no show that is "Tom Boy", was really hoping for Panda Bear to release it this year but instead we've had to settle with occasional single releases which have only served to make me worried for the quality of the full release. Despite that though the year can only be described as having been solid from beginning to end and hopefully next year will be just as fun. New albums by Cut Copy, The Avalanches (!) and Destroyer should at least assure some quality :)

Without further ado, here's my top 10 list of 2010!

10.) The Ruby Suns - Fight Softly

9.) Twin Shadow - Forget

8.) Salem - King Night

7.) Pantha du Prince - Black Noise

6.) Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest

james.blake_.cmyk_.review.2020202.jpg

5.) James Blake - CMYK [EP]

mp3crank.com_cover-WN-300x300.jpg

4.) Wild Nothing - Golden Haze [EP]

Gold-Panda-%E2%80%93-Lucky-Shiner.jpg

3.) Gold Panda - Lucky Shiner
The best electronic album since "From here we go Sublime". Either that tells you everything you need to know or you're hopelessly lost in this world and need to listen to the aforementioned album immediately :eek:)

9842.jpg

2.) The Radio Dept. - Clinging to a Scheme
The album that at times seemed destined to become Swedens own "Detox" was finally released this year to the surprise of many of their fans. The even greater surprise they had in store was that not only did they match my expectations but somehow exceed them by making an album that refines the bands signature sound while managing to stake out a new course with songs like "Heaven's on Fire" and "Never Follow Suit" that makes it feel fresh and gives a hint that there is still uncharted territory for the band.

Ariel-Pinks-Haunted-Graffiti-Before-Today-cover-300x300.jpg

1.) Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Before Today
Simply the knockout album of the year for me, came from nowhere and blew me away with some of the catchiest songs of the year and a sound that brings together the goofiest/weirdest/freakiest of Frank Zappa with the 80's cheesiness of bands like Alphaville and Human League.

Runner Up:

Tame Impala - Innerspeaker
Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma
Big Boi - Sir Luscious left foot the son of Chico Dusty

Here's a decent list of the releases in 2010 if you need a reminder.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
blg_death_is_silent.jpg

Kno - Death is Silent
There is no other appropriate answer

Bento

StuBurns said:
There already is one of these, I went for Have One On Me.
Ah dang, name? I seriously couldn't find it :(

EDIT: Well I guess I'll leave it to the mods to decide if the thread should be shutdown or not :(

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
DlmhU.jpg

Devil Sold His Soul - Blessed and Cursed: This one took me completely by surprise. I had listened to their previous album a fair amount a year or two ago, then just kinda forgot they existed for a very long time. Then I happened to hear that they released a new album, and decided to check it out. To put it lightly, I was blown away. The first two tracks (Tides and Drowning/Sinking) are probably my two favorite songs of the year. I'm also a fan of long albums, so it helps that Blessed and Cursed clocks in at well over 80 minutes long when the four bonus tracks are included (and they're actually GOOD bonus tracks, not "stuff we didn't think was good enough for the album"). It's really great to see (hear?) how much DSHS have evolved and grown as a band since their last album, which was very good, but definitely rough around the edges. Not my favorite band (see #2), but certainly the best album I've heard all year.

Devil Sold His Soul - Tides: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysQ5vV4jnj4

TAll1.jpg

Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit: What can I say here? Of course this is going to be on the list, considering they're my favorite band and all. Definitely a bit of a different sound than I'm used to hearing from them, but still wonderful. The analog production, while not everyone's cup of tea, really does a lot to add to the atmosphere of the album. The songwriting is, as usual, top notch. Ghosts of the Midwinter Fires might be the best song Agalloch has ever written, actually. I also absolutely love the Moog used on Black Lake Nidstang. Yeah, seriously, Moog. Who even uses Moogs anymore? Agalloch, that's who. And it sounds awesome. You can also hear the difference that the band finally having a permanent drummer has made, as well. Aesop Dekker has been with Agalloch since 2008, but this is his first time recording with them, and he does a remarkable job. Simply put, if not for DSHS, Marrow of the Spirit would be my favorite album of the year.

Agalloch: Ghosts of the Midwinter Fires: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oN-pS37Q-c

HtUNO.jpg

World's End Girlfriend - Seven Idiots: Another one that sounds completely different than what I'm used to hearing from the artist. WEG (Katsuhiko Maeda) completely switched gears with this album, foregoing his more downtempo, post-rockish sound for a very upbeat, poppy album with fewer classical instruments and more upbeat guitar work and electronics. Songs like Les Enfants du Paradis and Ulysses Gazer are shining examples of this. Of course, there's also a few songs that sound like more traditional WEG, but they're definitely in the minority. If not for track 8 (The Offering Inferno), which sounds like every unpleasant sound you've ever heard rolled into a single song, it'd be a perfect album. I know some fans don't care for WEG's new direction, but personally I love it, and it may be my favorite WEG album yet.

World's End Girlfriend: Ulysses Gazer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy2yX-4LQUk

fhvHy.jpg

Roberto Cacciapaglia - Ten Directions: In what seems to be a recurring theme on my list, here's another album that sounds quite different from it's predecessor. Roberto Cacciapaglia is a composer and pianist from Italy, and his previous albums have been mostly piano-centric, minimalist works, with the occasional violin or cello thrown in for good measure. Ten Directions, however, goes in a different direction. Nearly every track has an orchestral accompaniment, and the resulting sound is absolutely amazing. One track in particular, titled Times, absolutely blew me away. With albums like this one, I usually put them on as I'm going to bed. However, when Times came on for the first time, I immediately sat up and listened intently, mouth agape for much of the song. I really wish Cacciapaglia got as much attention from English-speaking audiences as composers like Yann Tiersen and Ludovico Einaudi get. He's definitely well within their league, and deserves to be far more well known than he is.

Roberto Cacciapaglia: Times - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0jNMQ5xBYg

vYOEB.jpg

Gallowbraid - Ashen Eidolon: I can hardly believe this is on my top 5, as A. It just came out very recently and B. It's not even an album, but a four song EP. However, despite this, the fact of the matter is that it's just THAT good. I've NEVER been more impressed by a band's debut record than I am with Ashen Eidolon. The first track alone (also called Ashen Eidolon) is nearly 15 minutes long, and basically contains an entire album's worth of good ideas in a single song. Coupled with the other three tracks (two shorter instrumental pieces and another full-length song), Ashen Eidolon is just ridiculously impressive. As long as singer/guitarist/bassist Jake Rogers can do a little more to differentiate his singing voice from that of Agalloch's John Haughm, I can see Gallowbraid's forthcoming full length album being the best album of 2011. 

Gallowbraid: Ashen Eidolon - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjrCiq7aiVI

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
More music threads need to take note of Seraphis Cain's post. That's how you do it right. Posting an album cover and a Youtube link is going to be absolutely meaningless to me.

KingJ2002

The ArchAndroid (Suites II and III)

1273812401archandroid_cover.jpg

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

My-Beautiful-Dark-Twisted-Fantasy.jpg

Janelle Monae's album stood out this year because her sound was refreshing to this year... she reminded me of a young kelis who wasnt afraid to experiment with different sounds and go against the grain that tried to place her in the same "R&B / Soul" lane. She sampled some great movie scores and took a little bit of everything from most popular upbeat genre's to make this album.

some standout tracks to me:

1. Neon Valley Street
2. Come Alive
3. Say You'll Go
4. Dance Or Die

honestly... this is my album of the year simply because it was so well put together.

As for Kanye's album... it's his best work to date and by far the best mainstream rap album this year... his production has improved as well as his lyrical abilities... and he also brought back the posse cut.

Things i didn't like were the religious references and some of the distortion used on tracks like runaway.

my favorite tracks on the album:

1. Monster
2. Hell Of A Life
3. Power
4. Lost In The World

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
KingJ2002 said:
i know im missing some albums but i cant think of them at the moment... but these are my standouts.
Why are they your standouts? What track/s moved you in a way to accept that these two albums were a definite choice? Are there any specific notes to make i.e. past history of the artist compared to this album?

I'm not trying to pick solely upon you, but these threads reek of laziness. Album covers are nothing more than a slight enticement to the music within. Description, description, description! Make me want to consider your choices and go out of my way to sample it, rather than simply scroll past the never-ending images because it does nothing but induce boredom.

Have we done a scientific thread yet where we actually pick an album and votes are tallied?

This was my top 10:
1. Gil Scott-Heron - I'm New Here
2. Johnny Cash - Ain't No Grave
3. Grinderman 2
4. We Are Only Riders: The Jeffrey Lee Pierce Sessions Project
5. Mavis Staples - You Are Not Alone
6. Solomon Burke - Nothing's Impossible
7. The Greenhornes - **** (aka Four Stars)
8. Roky Erickson & Okkervil River - True Love Cast Out All Evil
9. Jakob Dylan - Women And Country
10. Pinetop Perkins & Willie "Big Eyes" Smith - Joined At The Hip

Gil Scott-Heron's album, particularly, is something I'll be listening to for many many years. It's a brilliant comeback album, every bit as successful as Johnny Cash's "American Recordings." And at the risk of accidentally agreeing with the Grammys, the new Mavis Staples album is brilliant, and the new Pinetop Perkins album is some of the finest Chicago blues since Muddy Waters died.

P.S. Posting huge album covers is bullshit.

BobDylan

speedpop said:
Why are they your standouts? What track/s moved you in a way to accept that these two albums were a definite choice? Are there any specific notes to make i.e. past history of the artist compared to this album?

I'm not trying to pick solely upon you, but these threads reek of laziness. Album covers are nothing more than a slight enticement to the music within. Description, description, description! Make me want to consider your choices and go out of my way to sample it, rather than simply scroll past the never-ending images because it does nothing but induce boredom.

id say I post just album covers and the name because a lot of people know the album/artists and if they dont and really want to know about it then they can just type it into google. if not then oh well their loss

Edit:
Aristotlekh said:
Have we done a scientific thread yet where we actually pick an album and votes are tallied?

This was my top 10:
1. Gil Scott-Heron - I'm New Here
2. Johnny Cash - Ain't No Grave
3. Grinderman 2
4. We Are Only Riders: The Jeffrey Lee Pierce Sessions Project
5. Mavis Staples - You Are Not Alone
6. Solomon Burke - Nothing's Impossible
7. The Greenhornes - **** (aka Four Stars)
8. Roky Erickson & Okkervil River - True Love Cast Out All Evil
9. Jakob Dylan - Women And Country
10. Pinetop Perkins & Willie "Big Eyes" Smith - Joined At The Hip

forgot about this one. really loved the album. had a very real feel to it

Bento

speedpop said:
More music threads need to take note of Seraphis Cain's post. That's how you do it right. Posting an album cover and a Youtube link is going to be absolutely meaningless to me.
I guess at least a little text makes for a better read : P I'll see if I can try and edit in some comments on my picks :)

Robot 492

Banned
10.) Surfer Blood - Astro Coast [Harmonix]

9.) The Roots - How I Got Over [Radio Daze]

8.) LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening [All I Want]

7.) Kno - Death Is Silent [La Petite Mort (Come Die With Me)]

6.) Broken Bells - Broken Bells [The High Road]

5.) Big Boi - Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty [Shutterbugg]

4.) Beach House - Teen Dream [Zebra]

3.) Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest [Desire Lines]

2.) Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy [So Appalled]

1.) Arcade Fire - The Suburbs [We Used to Wait]

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
For me if I picked 5 it'd have to be....

SNSD - Run, Devil, Run
These days kpop is really more about singles, so my fav albums are from previous years. I also liked SHINee's Lucifer, but this one brought me more happiness, even if it is less consistent. And that is really what this album is about: Making you happy.

Speaking of happiness...

Hurts - Happiness
Brilliant production, easily the best this year. It's more depressing and/or inspiring, but man is it so awesome to listen to. It's like Tears for Fears for 2010.

The Chieftains - San Patricio
Irish Mexican music? Yes, and it's fucking awesome. It was so awesome listening to this while riding my bike around on a sunny day.

Bonobo - Black Sands
I have no idea how to describe Bonobo. He does what he does. He is a genius.

Corinne Bailey Rae - The Sea
Sublime. I have no idea how she manages to make something sound so old/timeless when in reality there are tons of things going on that are new, or how she gets so much instrumentation without losing an ounce of focus, but she does. However she does it, she does it. The sound is like an intimate meeting with a grand and lush view.

Album that surprisingly dropped out:

Beach House - Teen Dream
I was into this for a long time, but I took a break and came back and it had lost the magic.

_Bro

Banned
Tallest Man On Earth - The Wild Hunt
Titus Andronicus - The Monitor ( What a amazing album )

I've really missed out on the rest of 2010. This'll be a good catch up thread.

KingJ2002

speedpop said:

it's ok... the reason why they standout is because they were the first two albums that came to mind... with kanye being second.

i updated my post with details

big ander

I'm really indecisive and all, so I'm just going to put albums that I enjoyed this year:
220px-Cover_contra.jpg
220px-Teendream.jpg
220px-HotChip-OneLifeStand.jpg
220px-Rogue_Wave_Permalight.jpg

220px-Broken_Bells_Cover.jpg
220px-SheAndHim_VolumeTwo.jpg
220px-Highviolet.jpg
220px-The_Black_Keys_-_Brothers.jpg

Vampire Weekend-Contra, Beach House-Teen Dream, Hot Chip-One Life Stand, Rogue Wave-Permalight
Broken Bells-Broken Bells, She & Him-Volume Two, The National-High Violet, The Black Keys-Brothers

I can definitively say that my top 3 were:
3) LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening
220px-Lcdthisishappening.jpg

2) Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
220px-Kanye_West_My_Beautiful_Dark_Twisted_Fantasy_album_cover.png

1) Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
Arcade_Fire_-_The_Suburbs.png

And an honorable mention to:
Weezer - Pinkerton (Deluxe Edition)
Weezer-Pinkerton_Deluxe_Edition_3.jpg

because it's the album of the forever.

Mar

The only thing that's stood out to me this year is Crystal Castles, Crystal Castles (II).

I really like what I've heard of Kanye's new album but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

Galang

Banned
crystal-castles-ii.jpg
cak52.jpg

Crystal Castles II and Toro Y Moi - Causers of This were my favorite albums this year by far. Toro Y Moi kind of came out of nowhere for me, I didn't even like the album on the first listen. And my like for CCII was definitely unexpected too since I wasn't a big fan of the first album aside of a few tracks.

Also really liked Big Boi, Janelle Monae, Bonobo and Foals this year. And I know I still missed a lot of great stuff, which I will eventually get around too. :D

AkuMifune

Banned
Kanye - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
A combination of classic symphony, creative beats, soul crushing lyrics and cynical anecdotes, MBDTF is an amazing modern work of art. While a tons of great bands had good albums this year, MBDTF is clearly in a league above anything else; the conflicted self-portrait of a man who is a painfully insecure extreme ego-maniac. Favorite tracks will vary, but the highlights are Gorgeous, Lost in the World, and Runaway. (And the sick instrumental version of Power from the Runaway film. So awesome.)

Special Mentions
Dessa - A Badly Broken Code
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - The Social Network
The White Stripes - Under Great White Northern Lights

I'll also make an effort to listen to the other albums in this thread, looking forward to getting introduced to some great music over the holiday break.

Jeramii

Banned
orbs.jpg
1130176274Menomena_Mines_2010.jpg
52857985.png
option-paralysis-300x300.png
midnight-juggernauts-the-crystal-axis.jpg
the-black-keys-brothers-300x300.jpg
how-to-destroy-angels.jpg
ratatat-lp4.jpg
1271968505_crystal-castles-crystal-castles-2010.jpg
Wavves-King-Of-The-Beach1-300x300.jpg

in order from left to right, up to down....

Orbs- Asleep Next To Science
Menomena- Mines
Zach Hill- Face Tat
Dillinger Escape Plan- Option Paralysis
Midnight Juggernauts- The Crystal Axis
The Black Keys- Brothers
How To Destroy Angels- How To Destroy Angels
Ratatat- LP4
Crystle Castles- Crystle Castles
Wavves- King of the Beach

the last 3 albums i named probably aren't my fav albums ever. but they were the only other 2010 albums i enjoyed (that come to mind). half the albums i wanted to put in this list came out in october thru december 2009.

edit- just noticed this is ALBUM of the year. because of the OP i assumed it was top 10.. either way i stand by most my list. the first 4 albums on there are a tie up for me.. all sooooo good.

dexterslu

Robyn-Body-Talk.jpg

The lack of Robyn's Body Talk in this thread is concerning, defiantly the best 'pop' album of the year. Normally not something I'm a huge fan of but I really can't stop listening to it. The fact that she put out three smaller EP's and then released all of them together in one fat LP is pretty amazing, especially considering there are a couple tracks that are completely reworked on the final version.

I'm currently making my way through a few albums that I missed this year so no list yet, but it's been a truly amazing year for music.

Midas

Clinging to a Scheme is amazing! And Robyn is way overrated. A few good tracks, nothing more.

Edit: I really must buy that Kno record, didn't know about it until just now.

Bento

bridegur said:
A few I haven't been able to stop listening to:

melted200.jpg

Ty Segall - Melted
Looked up some songs from the album on Youtube and I'm really liking Imaginary Person and Sad Fuzz! Was pretty disappointed with the album Wavves churned out earlier this year and Harlem aren't really quite "garage" enough to scratch my itch but this is right up my alley :)

KingJ2002 said:
some standout tracks to me:

1. Neon Valley Street
2. Come Alive
3. Say You'll Go
4. Dance Or Die

honestly... this is my album of the year simply because it was so well put together.
I've been meaning to listen to this album for quite some time since I've heard so much about it. Thanks for providing me with some tracks to start with and I'm actually listening to Neon Valley Street as I'm typing this and it's giving me a very nice "The Miseducation of.." vibe :)

BobDylan said:
The Tallest Man on Earth - The Wild Hunt

Most certainly my album of the year. Took me completely by surprise. Completely barebones production values, acoustic guitar, and Kristian Matsson's incredible voice come together to make one of the most earnest and emotion-filled albums I've ever heard. If you even slightly enjoy anything related to the folk genre, you should really give this one a try.

I highly recommend listening to King of Spain and Love is All

BobDylan

edible_candle said:
The Tallest Man on Earth - The Wild Hunt

Most certainly my album of the year. Took me completely by surprise. Completely barebones production values, acoustic guitar, and Kristian Matsson's incredible voice come together to make one of the most earnest and emotion-filled albums I've ever heard. If you even slightly enjoy anything related to the folk genre, you should really give this one a try.

I highly recommend listening to King of Spain and Love is All

seriously this album is fan-fucking-tastic. and the two you recommended are my favorites on the album but it is really one of those albums that you can listen to fully and on repeat. I had the same CD in my car for the past 3 years as the one back up if my ipod is dead or something. this CD replaced that. even Shallow Graves is an amazing album. like you said anyone that slightly enjoys folk really needs to check him out.

I wont be found is probably my favorite track off of Shallow Graves

The Wild Hunt is also a great track off of The Wild Hunt album

would really love the chance to catch a show of his.

Chaser

BobDylan said:
The Wild Hunt by Tallest Man On Earth
Wildhuntcover.jpg
This, easily. Been a huge fan of his for awhile, and I consider this far and away his best work.

The Monitor is up there as well.

Myriadis

StuBurns said:
There already is one of these, I went for Have One On Me.
I always wondered if your avatar is a "simpsonfied" Joanna Newsom.Now I know."Ys" is one of my favorites.

I seldom buy new CDs,so there is only one Album released in 2010 that I bought:

Tocotronic - Schall und Wahn
And it is by far one of the best indie albums I ever heard.Even better than their previous album "Kapitulation" ,which is already good.Reasons?Just listen to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom