• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Music-Age: Album of the Year 2010!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get'sMad

keep forgetting that that Beach House album came out this year....

I'll do one of these when I get home from work.....James Blake and Kanye will probably be up there for me.

if i can sellotape all the james blake EPs together and call it an album, that's my number 1

if not, probably janelle monae or big boi

$1148 Jack said:
20a81ar.jpg

Gypsy and the Cat - Gilgamesh

Pure pop bliss, very melodic harmonies.
Time to Wander

x1m3j8.jpg

Tame Impala - Innerspeaker

Psychadelic rock from these guys from Perth.
Lucidity

Alter ego my fave song off the album.

Tame Impala didn't play Alter Ego at the show they had in Amsterdam. WHAT THE FUCK.

Fireblend

Banned
10. Pain of Salvation - Road Salt One
2772308.jpg

9. Hans Zimmer - Inception Soundtrack
2885843.jpg

8. Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape
3086995.jpg

7. Circa Survive - Blue Sky Noise
2757883.jpg

6. The Pineapple Thief - Someone Here is Missing
2730509.jpg

5. Demians - Mute
2909480.jpg

4. Two Door Cinema Club - Tourist History
2659263.jpg

3. Star One - Victims of the Modern Age
3045581.jpg

2. Spock's Beard - X
2411070.jpg

1. Orphaned Land - The Never Ending Way of ORwarriOR
544404.jpg

joelseph

In no particular order, and I am sure I am forgetting tons of really great albums and I know all of these aren't technically albums.

51aEn4i9j0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

31zv2CMg7IL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

61nJr-CPZiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51uh09kvsqL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

41oIkZ7d6fL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

333.jpg

417qM9kUHBL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

51t6Z5tSNbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

61rTe7HE3JL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41q%2BDs%2Bx1YL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Seraphis Cain said:
Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit: What can I say here? Of course this is going to be on the list, considering they're my favorite band and all. Definitely a bit of a different sound than I'm used to hearing from them, but still wonderful. The analog production, while not everyone's cup of tea, really does a lot to add to the atmosphere of the album. The songwriting is, as usual, top notch. Ghosts of the Midwinter Fires might be the best song Agalloch has ever written, actually. I also absolutely love the Moog used on Black Lake Nidstang. Yeah, seriously, Moog. Who even uses Moogs anymore? Agalloch, that's who. And it sounds awesome. You can also hear the difference that the band finally having a permanent drummer has made, as well. Aesop Dekker has been with Agalloch since 2008, but this is his first time recording with them, and he does a remarkable job. Simply put, if not for DSHS, Marrow of the Spirit would be my favorite album of the year.

Agalloch: Ghosts of the Midwinter Fires: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oN-pS37Q-c

Gallowbraid - Ashen Eidolon: I can hardly believe this is on my top 5, as A. It just came out very recently and B. It's not even an album, but a four song EP. However, despite this, the fact of the matter is that it's just THAT good. I've NEVER been more impressed by a band's debut record than I am with Ashen Eidolon. The first track alone (also called Ashen Eidolon) is nearly 15 minutes long, and basically contains an entire album's worth of good ideas in a single song. Coupled with the other three tracks (two shorter instrumental pieces and another full-length song), Ashen Eidolon is just ridiculously impressive. As long as singer/guitarist/bassist Jake Rogers can do a little more to differentiate his singing voice from that of Agalloch's John Haughm, I can see Gallowbraid's forthcoming full length album being the best album of 2011. 

Gallowbraid: Ashen Eidolon - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjrCiq7aiVI

Saved me some time, these two are easily my favourites of the year - I didn't think Marrow of the Spirit was all that at first, but on repeated listens it's quickly becoming my favourite Agalloch album. I love 'To Drown', so fucking epic;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozPbZ35e-ag

I'd also add Heidevolk - Uit Oude Gronde

Heide_uit-1.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4u6tsYNITg

And Metsatöll - Äio;

folder1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--i3pwGGabE

Two of the best Folk Metal albums in recent years, I'm especially fond of Metsatöll.

N4Us

Some of my favorites:

Allerseelen - Rauhe Schale
Fear Factory - Mechanize
Rome - Nos Chants Perdus
Swans - my father will guide me up a rope to the sky
Kanye West - MBDTF
Freeway/Jake One - Stimulus Package
Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit
Unearthly Trance - V

Majmun

1. Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid
2. Kanye West - MBDTF
3. Robyn - Body Talk
4. Gorillaz - Plastic Beach
5. Kelis - Flesh Tone

7Th

My top 5 in no specific order:

Spangle Call Lilli Line - VIEW
Soutaiseiriron - Synchroniciteen
65daysofstatic - We Were Exploding Anyway
Alarm Will Sound - a/rhythmia
My Education - Sunrise

faridmon

Albums of the year:
1- Funktastic by Suga Shiako
2- This is Happening by LCD Soundsystem
3- Music by Fujifabric
4- Jasmine Rodger EP by Jasmine Rodgers
5- Meru by Lillies and Remans

Honorable Mentions:
Keep on Smashing Blue by Last Alliance
OWL by Last Weekenders
Engine by Jinn

Singles of the year:

1- Jibun Rock by ON OK ROCK
2- Voice by Sel'm
3- One Step!/Tomorrow Never Knows
4- Bad Marriege LP by Kami Thompson
5- Uchūhikōshi e no Tegami/Motorcycle by Bump of Chicken

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
joelseph said:
In no particular order, and I am sure I am forgetting tons of really great albums and I know all of these aren't technically albums.

51t6Z5tSNbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

61rTe7HE3JL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41q%2BDs%2Bx1YL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Great picks here, the Four Tet EP is probably my favorite non-compilation of the year.

trancekr

No Specific Order

Michael Cassette - Temporarity
513yEt77k2L._SS400_.jpg

Arcade Fire - Suburbs
61B3oKLwUoL._SS500_.jpg

Robyn - Body Talk
51P-8c3NxQL._SS500_.jpg

LCD Soundsystem - This is happening
51TB5JTBHYL._SS500_.jpg

DieNgamers said:
Really weird and good mix of metal and progressive rock. Not comparable to anything...Unfortunately nobody bought it!

Shit, I didn't even know there was a new Cathedral album! Definitely going on my new year's shopping list :)

Bootaaay said:
Shit, I didn't even know there was a new Cathedral album! Definitely going on my new year's shopping list :)
:) I had to give it...3 listens but then it clicked big time! I also like how they went with the lyrical theme throughout the whole album. It's not a pure metal album (it doesn't try to be) but they still have many mean riffs in it. The diversity is the winner, here...One of their best albums, imo. Especially if you listen to it as a double album because every song has a purpose and there's no filler.

SumPog

Neo Member
Fireblend said:
10. Pain of Salvation - Road Salt One
2772308.jpg

9. Hans Zimmer - Inception Soundtrack
2885843.jpg

8. Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape
3086995.jpg

7. Circa Survive - Blue Sky Noise
2757883.jpg

6. The Pineapple Thief - Someone Here is Missing
2730509.jpg

5. Demians - Mute
2909480.jpg

4. Two Door Cinema Club - Tourist History
2659263.jpg

3. Star One - Victims of the Modern Age
3045581.jpg

2. Spock's Beard - X
2411070.jpg

1. Orphaned Land - The Never Ending Way of ORwarriOR
544404.jpg

Han Zimmer isn't usually that eye-catching, but the Inception soundtrack was brilliant. I don't get why you'd put the new Orphaned Land album 1st though, that was a real disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom