• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Music of the SaGa Series: A Retrospective

This is the third topic I've made on what I consider a look at the careers of some of my favorite composers. This thread is going to be a bit different though, as it's going to focus on a series rather than a specific composer.

Part 1 - Hitoshi Sakimoto

Part 2 - Koichi Sugiyama

The series I'm going to be focusing on is the SaGa series. Always a controversial series due to it's esoteric game design, and divisive plots, the series' music has always been consistently assounding.

Makai Toushi SaGa: Uematsu Lays the Ground Work
In the late 80s, the gameboy suddenly became a hit after the release of Tetris. Wanting to take advantage of this, Square's president Misashi Miyamoto wanted the company to make a game for the system. Akitoshi Kawazu was appointed to direct the project, which he decided would be an RPG, due to the popular of the genre thanks to games like Dragon Quest and Square's own Final Fantasy. When deciding who the composer would be, he picked Nobuo Uematsu.

220px-Nobuo_Uematsu.jpg

Let's be honest here, Uematsu really needs no introduction. He's one of the most famous video game composers of all time, and for good reason. His work popularized the medium, and now his works tour the world.

At the time though, Uematsu struggled with Final Fantasy Legend's composition. He was unfamiliar with the gameboy's limitations. In the end, he composed 16 tracks for the game. While he would ultimately only work on two titles in the franchise, a few of his songs would be later re-used for later games in the franchise. The two most notable examples are the following:

Prologue
This piece would be used again for both SaGa 2 and 3.

Wipe Away Your Tears
Wipe Away Your Tears is one of the most iconic pieces in the franchise. It would resurface in many of the later games.

Other noteworthy pieces are:
Main Theme
Furious Battle
Forbidden Tower

Enter Kenji Ito
SaGa proved to be a decent success, so Square decided to make a follow up, which would be released in 1990. Uematsu returned as composer, but this time another composer was brought in to help him with his efforts. That composer was Kenji Ito

kenji_ito1.jpg

Kenji Ito is something of a musical prodigy. He first began learning music at the age of four, and first began composing at the age of 10. Upon graduating college, a professor advised him to seek employment in the gaming industry. He applied to several companies before landing a gig at Square in 1990.

His first project was SaGa 2. Stylistically, he and Uematsu tried to match the style of Uematsu's work on SaGa 1. In the end, 19 pieces were composed for the game.

Searching for the Secret Treasure
Theme of a Hero
Theme of a New God
Save the World

SaGa 3: The Black Sheep Emerges
SaGa 2's release came and went, and it was decided that another sequel would be made. However, unlike SaGa 1 and 2, production was not overseen by Akitoshi Kawazu. Instead, SaGa 3 was created by Square's Osaka development team. A fellow by the name of Chihiro Fujioka was chosen as the director. A composer in his own right, he brought in his friend and frequent collaborator Ryuji Sasai to serve as the main composer for SaGa 3. In the end, Ryuji Sasai composed 16 tracks for the game, and Fujioka contributed 4 pieces.

http://videogam.in/pages/files/Chihiro_Fujioka/profile_Chihiro_Fujioka.png
http://videogam.in/pages/files/Chihiro_Fujioka/profile_Chihiro_Fujioka.png

ryujisasaiprofile.jpg

Ryuji Sasai

While they re-used a few pieces that had become iconic, such as the opening theme and Eat the Meat, Sasai and Fujioka's soundtrack has a very distinct style from the other two games that had come before.

Fight!
Theme of Another Dimension
Setting off into the Future

SaGa 3 would be Osaka team's only contribution to the franchise. Later, they would move on to other Square Enix classics such as Final Fantasy Mystic Quest and Treasure of Rudra. Today, Fujioka works for Nintendo primarily as a game designer, where he designs games such as Mario and Luigi Partners in Time. Ryuji Sasai left the gaming industry after working on Bushido Blade 2. He currently plays in a Queen cover band.

SaGa Goes to Consoles - The Kenji Ito Era
In 1992, SaGa made made the jump to consoles. Three games were made for the SNES, under the name of Romancing SaGa. With Uematsu fully commited now to his work on Final Fantasy series, Kenji Ito was put in charge of composition duties for the SNES SaGas.

Romancing SaGa - Gray
Romancing SaGa - The Conflict
Romancing SaGa 2 - Battle 2
Romancing SaGa - Coup de Grace
Romancing SaGa - Palace

Romancing SaGa 2 - Seven Heroes Battle
Romancing SaGa 2 - Last Battle
Romancing SaGa 2 - Imperial Capitol Avalon

Romancing SaGa 3 - Field
Romancing SaGa 3 - Battle 2
Romancing SaGa 3 - Katharina's Theme

Given free reign, Ito was able to give the Romancing SaGa series a distinct sound that helped give the series an identity separate from Final Fantasy. High energy. Heavy bass and percussion. Ito's score provided the series with an intense feeling.

When the franchise made the jump to playstation with SaGa Frontier, he continued his work. SaGa Frontier returned to the franchise's roots, mixing science fiction with fantasy. Because of this, SaGa Frontier's soundtrack is one of the most diverse in style.

SaGa Frontier - Nakajima Factory
SaGa Frontier - Battle 1
SaGa Frontier - Fight! Alkaizer!
SaGa Frontier - Sunset Town
SaGa Frontier - Koorong

SaGa Frontier would be Kenji Ito's last main series SaGa title, though he would later come back to work on the PS2 remake of Romancing SaGa, entitled RS: Minstrel's Song. In 2001, he left Square to work freelance.

The Masashi Hamauzu Era
For reasons unknown to me, Kenji Ito was not chosen to work on SaGa Frontier's follow up. Instead, Masahi Hamauzu was selected.
600full-masashi-hamauzu.jpg

Hamauzu joined Square in 1996 upon impressing Uematsu with his resume. His first game he worked on was Front Mission: Gun Hazard, which he worked together with Uematsu and Yasnori Mitsuda on. In 1997, he assisted Uematsu with Final Fantasy VII by arranging Joesph Haydn's "The Creation", which plays in game when President Shinra watches the Sector 7 plate fall. He also provided bass vocals for One Winged Angel.

In 1998, Hamauzu began work on SaGa Frontier II. At first he tried mimicking Kenji Ito's style, but instead decided to focus on his own style. The result is a sort of romantic dreamy tone that meshes well with the game's pastoral scenery.

SaGa Frontier 2 - Rosenkranz

SaGa Frontier 2 - Feldschlacht III
SaGa Frontier 2 - Variation

Hamauzu made extensive use of leitmotif on his work, composing several variations of each theme. Furthermore, on a curious note, every piece composed for the game was titled in German.

Not long after SaGa Frontier 2 was released, the Playstation 2 was released. Akitoshi Kawazu decided to make a game for the system, envisioning an RPG that would harken back to the table top era. The result would be Unlimited Saga. The game would proof to be the most controversial title in the series. Despite this, it's soundtrack was well received. Once again, Hamauzu returned to compose for the game.

The Seven Travelers
Unlimited SaGa Overture
Battle Theme 1
Laura's Theme

To date, Unlimited Saga is the most recent original title in the franchise. After working Unlimited Saga, Hamauzu went on to compose for Final Fantasy XIII and it's sequels. He will also be contributing to Super Smash Bros 4.

The Remake Era
while Unlimited SaGa is the most recent original game, a few remakes have come out. Perhaps the most noteworthy, musically, Romancing SaGa: Minstrel's Song. The soundtrack was rebuilt from the ground up. While the SFC soundtrack was used as a base, many songs were arranged to the point of being unrecognizable. Kenji Ito arranged the tracks himself, though Tsuyoshi Sekito assisted him in the effort.

Prelude of Battle
Believing my Justice
Decisive Battle! Saruin
Absolute Freedom - Gray

SaGa 2 and 3 were also remade, though not nearly as heavily as Romancing SaGa.

The Future?
Recently Kawazu has been hinting that there is going to be a new SaGa announced soon. If that's the case, the mystery is who will compose? Will Ito resume the task of providing the games their soundtracks, or will Hamauzu step back in? What do you guys think?

MilkBeard

Nice, I've been a fan of the SaGa series since I played Frontier. At first I played the series for the unique game designs (dat battle system) but I started to notice Kenji Ito's unique style. I mean, SaGa Frontier has a unique boss theme for nearly every single boss in the game-- and all of them are great.
I'm definitely going to dig into this history a bit, as he wasn't the only SaGa composer, although I consider his music to be the most iconic for the series.

Thoraxes

Personally, I would really like another Hamauzu OST as his work in SaGa Frontier II is god-tier. Just the varied breadth of compositions and the various live instrument ensembles he's arranged the pieces for are astounding, and translate perfectly to their live renditions. Both the arrangements on Vielen Dank and the SaGa Frontier II Piano Arrangement album are good stuff!

I would rather his style be more symphonic and instrumental based in instrumentation and orchestration like they were for that system though, rather than his new approach. Something like XIII kept his use of thematicism and letmotif, something of which was not seen as a dominant trait in his music since SaGa Frontier II, really.

he was born in Germany, might be a reference to that

Ha, I was about to mention that!

MilkBeard

Personally, I would really like another Hamauzu OST as his work in SaGa Frontier II is god-tier. Just the varied breadth of compositions and the various live instrument ensembles he's arranged the pieces for are astounding, and translate perfectly to their live renditions. Both the arrangements on Vielen Dank and the SaGa Frontier II Piano Arrangement album are good stuff!
I would have no problem with that, as Hamauzu is a great composer, and his work on SaGa Frontier II and Unlimited SaGa was great-- however, he composed for Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2 and Lightning Returns, so it would be nice if SaGa received its own unique composer. I still think Ito is the best fit, as his music is quite unique and fits with SaGa's offbeat nature. I would absolutely love to hear a new SaGa soundtrack from Ito.

Thoraxes

I would have no problem with that, as Hamauzu is a great composer, and his work on SaGa Frontier II was great-- however, he composed for Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2 and Lightning Returns, so it would be nice if SaGa received its own unique composer. I still think Ito is the best fit, as his music is quite unique and fits with SaGa's offbeat nature. I would absolutely love to hear a new SaGa soundtrack from Ito.

I can definitely agree with you too! For me, my choice mostly comes down to opinion and that his classical training comes off [more than Ito's] in all his pieces, something I greatly appreciate as a composer myself. I'm also just partial to him as a composer and pianist in general.

In general though, I would also love more Ito. You really couldn't go wrong with either. Maybe even a collaboration between the two would be cool too!

MilkBeard

In general though, I would also love more Ito. You really couldn't go wrong with either. Maybe even a collaboration between the two would be cool too!

Yeah that would be awesome. Either composer would be great- I know that Hamauzu's work for SaGa would sound different than what he did for the XIII series, and that would be a welcome enough change of pace.

Cikay

Thanks for this thread.

I consider this series important for japanese VGM : just like Seiken, it allowed several great composers to rise and gain notoriety.

If Ito's soundtracks are a blast, especially Minstrel Song, I think Hamauzu's ones are the most brilliant. SaGa Frontier 2 has one of the most unique and haunting (through the heavy use of leitmotifs) soundtrack I ever heard in a J-RPG and it contributes heavily to make the game good. Unlimited SaGa OST is one of the reasons I'm planning to try playing the game one of these days (this game has always intrigued me despites its bad reputation, I'm expecting it to be a game that is enjoyable once "understood"... but I'm surely wrong).

MilkBeard

SaGa was a decent success? SaGa was Square first million seller.

Yeah, I didn't realize how well SaGa did in Japan, at least for most of the main titles. It's crazy how drastic the success was once it landed overseas...

Either way, if a new game is made on console or handhelds, I hope it does well enough in Japan for Square to even consider bringing it overseas. I would seriously pay a premium for a new SaGa game if it meant I could play it.

Zingerale

Banned
I kind of want Hamauzu to work another SaGa game. SaGa Frontier 2 has one of my favorite OST's of all time.

I'm pretty sure if they just kickstarted a new SaGa game we'd already have one...

Celine

Also the first SaGa was remade for WonderSwan Color but I'm not sure how well (or bad) the music sound.

The SaGa series had some hella underrated composers in Ito and Hamouzu. Ito is still one of my favorite composers in gaming, don't think he'll ever top his work on SaGa Frontier for me but doesn't mean he shouldn't try.

As much as I love hamauzu's work on the series, I think Kenji Ito would be the better choice. With Hamauzu involved with FF, I think it important to keep the staff separate.

Worth noting that Chihiro Fujioka later directed Super Mario RPG, in addition to making music (with Sasai) for Xtalsoft's Japanese PC CRPGs (Mugen no Shinzou, Fantasian, &c.). He's a really interesting figure, involved with game production before Sakaguchi and most other Square staff.

I have this bad boy sitting on my bedroom shelf but I still have not yet cracked it open.

pa.158120.2.jpg

Sitting right beside the "All music of Seiken Densetsu" box set, also unopened. They cost me about 25,000 yen each used but decided I had to have them both before I left Japan a year ago.

Ashodin

Also here for Hamauzu san. Dude is amazing with his sf2 soundtrack. I frequently use it to develop games to.

I have this bad boy sitting on my bedroom shelf but I still have not yet cracked it open.

pa.158120.2.jpg

Sitting right beside the "All music of Seiken Densetsu" box set, also unopened. They cost me about 25,000 yen each used but decided I had to have them both before I left Japan a year ago.

I'm so jealous of you. I want that box set

The soundtrack to SaGa Frontier II changed the way I listen to music and is my favorite soundtrack of all time. Absolutely incredible.

Nimby

Banned

pa.158120.2.jpg

That design would look awesome on a PS4 *hint hint*

Cheddahz

Banned
SaGa Frontier 2 has my favorite video game soundtrack of all time, it's just really pleasant to listen to while doing work

I actually started learning piano because of SaGa Frontier 2, actually. Some of my favorite piano pieces are from that game

Koozek

I LOVE the SaGa Frontier II and Ulimited SaGa soundtracks. Some of Hamauzu's best work. They kickstarted my love for his music. I never played the games, though.

I kind of want Hamauzu to work another SaGa game. SaGa Frontier 2 has one of my favorite OST's of all time.

I'm pretty sure if they just kickstarted a new SaGa game we'd already have one...

Hamauzu's piano arrangement album of Saga Frontier II is fantastic.

The soundtrack to SaGa Frontier II changed the way I listen to music and is my favorite soundtrack of all time. Absolutely incredible.

SaGa Frontier 2 has my favorite video game soundtrack of all time, it's just really pleasant to listen to while doing work

I actually started learning piano because of SaGa Frontier 2, actually. Some of my favorite piano pieces are from that game

Hehe :)

Ramza

Banned
Hitoshi Sakimoto is my favorite Japanese composer ever. He's pretty much scored all of the games I consider favorites.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Great OP! Listening to some of those songs brought me back... as a huge fan of the chronically-misunderstood SaGa series. Kenji Ito's battle songs are some of my favorites in all RPG-dom.

I didn't really like the Saga Frontier 2 OST compared to the Romancing Saga's. But they're all good overall.

I'll take a Romancing Saga battle theme over a Final Fantasy anyday. I think the Saga series had better battle/boss and adventure themes while Final Fantasy had better themes in emotional areas of the game. They're more or less equal in towns.

Obligatory epic youtube links - remixes from the more recent album releases.

Romancing Saga - Battle 2

Saga Frontier - Asellus Final Boss

Romancing Saga 2 - Seven Heroes Battle

Cikay

Reading this topic earlier at work made me want to listen to SaGa Frontier 2 musics once back at home.

uxyGwrz.jpg

My copies of the OST and the Piano Pieces are signed by the maestro :)
I had the chance to meet him several times when he came to France and Germany for VGM concerts.

SaGa Frontier 2 was my introduction to Hamauzu, and I've been a fan ever since. That's the only reason I don't completely regret having played that unfortunate game. >_>

The Unlimited SaGa OST was similarly amazing, but for that game I just bought the soundtrack. I really dig his style.

I honestly don't think I can pick between Ito and Hamauzu in terms of preference. Both brought something completely unique to the games they contributed to. If I absolutely had to pick, I'd probably say Ito simply because he composed for more games. But really, they weren't going for the same feelings at all. Ito is more upbeat and frantic. There is something very kinetic in the compositions he contributed, particularly his battle themes.

Hamauzu, on the other hand, has a very ethereal, dreamlike style.

Top Bottom