• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Music people, suggest some albums

Status
Not open for further replies.

FnordChan

B00025ETIM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Blistering afrobeat from New York City. It will kick your ass.

FnordChan

Prospero

I'm into Herbie Hancock lately. Pretty much any Herbie is worth buying, but on a whim I'll plug this:

B00005NHUJ.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I actually wrote this off as a minor album when I first heard it, but on revisiting it two years later it's finally clicked with me.

Desperado

Queen - Queen II
Queen - A Night at the Opera
Eagles - Hotel California
Eagles - Desperado
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd
Led Zeppelin - IV

fuck you people and your underground bands. =P

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Bad Religion - The Empire Strikes First

It's more or less all I've been listening to since it came out two months ago.

White Man

B000005JC5.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Let Yamatsuka Eye give you a blistering ass-owning. Don't forget to bring the hydrocortisone, duder.

B000002I7U.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

If you don't like Mingus, suck a fuck.

Jim Bowie

20021101232730.jpg

MC Paul Barman - Paullelujah!

MC Paul B is a graduate from Brown University with a degree in English. He puts it to good use crafting the most unbelievably tight rhymes I have ever heard. I must insist that you and everyone else get this album.

Also---

324fa96.jpg

Mindless Self Indulgence - Frankenstein Girls Way Seem Strangely Sexy

You will love it, or you will despise it. There is no middle ground. The track, "I Hate Jimmy Page" is golden.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
With it stormin outside, I decided to play my favorite ska album to put me in a better, lighter mood:

B000001INF.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

If you like ska, this album rox.

Jim Bowie

This man is an extremely brilliant person with a fantastic musical taste. I didn't post any ska because I thought I was the only one that like it on teh GAF.

EDIT: Demon, check out Streetlight Manifesto's Everything Goes Numb. It's one of my absolute favorite ska albums.

Here are some new(er) album recommendations:

A.C. Newman -- The Slow Wonder
Rogue Wave -- Out of the Shadow
Keane -- Hopes and Fears
The Killers -- Hot Fuss

karasu

Jim Bowie said:
324fa96.jpg

Mindless Self Indulgence - Frankenstein Girls Way Seem Strangely Sexy

You will love it, or you will despise it. There is no middle ground. The track, "I Hate Jimmy Page" is golden.

That song suuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

uuuuuuuuuuuucks

Doing alright, working for an IT Outsourcing company as a researcher/intern until I go back to graduate school in late September. I don't have internet access at my girlfriend's apartment (staying with her this summer in Queen Anne, Seattle), just at work, so I rarely post.

Just for the summer, I needed a job, and they were willing to hire me. The job market for students this summer sucks. I know absolutely nothing about mainframe/server/desktop outsourcing or IT in general, but I'm pretty good at locating information. I couldn't argue with $13 an hour.

Any word on Corgan's solo album?

Diablos

distantmantra said:
Just for the summer, I needed a job, and they were willing to hire me. The job market for students this summer sucks. I know absolutely nothing about mainframe/server/desktop outsourcing or IT in general, but I'm pretty good at locating information. I couldn't argue with $13 an hour.

Any word on Corgan's solo album?

That's cool. So you aren't really working with computers, just getting info?

I know nothing about Corgan's solo album. I stopped caring a few months ago, I'll start caring again whenever it nears completion. :p He's kind of not saying much of anything about the album, just check out his website.

Diablos said:
That's cool. So you aren't really working with computers, just getting info?

Correct. I feel dumb down here with all the IT people sometimes, but no one seems to mind.

know nothing about Corgan's solo album. I stopped caring a few months ago, I'll start caring again whenever it nears completion. :p He's kind of not saying much of anything about the album, just check out his website.

Ah, I see. I'm not even sure if I'll care once it's released.

Diablos

distantmantra said:
Ah, I see. I'm not even sure if I'll care once it's released.

Oh, I'll care. Depending on what direction he took the music will determine if how much I care will be temporary like Zwan, or timeless like his other work :D

Ryck

B00027JYM6.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

On this album they go with a 80's ish sound.....imagine the smiths with a stand up bass...except darker...

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
B0001NBN5M.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Fear Before the March of Flames - Odd How People Shake

Dunno if you're into hardcore much though.

and either My Chemical Romance album...you actually might like them:
B00006EXL5.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00025ETIW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Dead

well not really...yet
Caviar are kind of a guilty pleasure i think

oh, St. Cornelius, I got your Mix Cd and I can say Im pretty impressed with it, id write a review but my computer is fried and I am without my own PC for a good while now :(

Eminem said:
is that the same Caviar that had: "fuckin' hand me a towel! mr. tangerine speedo!"

Yeah, except it went "f--kin' hand me a towel" :D It was edited that way on the album version as well.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
haha, that's awesome. i think they're from chicago. could be wrong though. i remember that song...you're all over town in your tangerine la la la la la la la laaa

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Burning Brides:

B00006JJ2H.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00028U67M.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I think you'll like them. They're a pretty edgy rock trio from NYC/Philly. Lots of screaming. They don't fall into one genre, so I'd say they're like a Punk/Grunge band...but heavier when they have to be. Just check them out. They rock. That is, of course, if you're even going to bother with all of these bands that've been listed in the first place. ;)

Dead

well not really...yet
Eminem said:
haha, that's awesome. i think they're from chicago. could be wrong though. i remember that song...you're all over town in your tangerine la la la la la la la laaa
Yeah they are indeed from chicago

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Burning Brides is straight up rock 'n' roll!

Drive Like Jehu - Drive Like Jehu
Drive Like Jehu - Yank Crime
Hot Snakes - Automatic Midnight
Hot Snakes - Suicide Invoice

Let John Reis and Rick Froberg give you a lesson in blistering, ball-trembling music. And then get the fuck ready for the new Hot Snakes album, Audit in Progress because it's going to be the Album of the Fucking Year.

Prospero

I just want to say that I listened to this on the way to work this morning:

B00001OH7Y.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I can't say it often enough: he goes nuts on this album. Absolutely out of his mind. If you haven't heard this, you haven't heard Bowie.

DeadStar said:
oh, St. Cornelius, I got your Mix Cd and I can say Im pretty impressed with it, id write a review but my computer is fried and I am without my own PC for a good while now :(

That's cool, I'm glad you like it at least :)

Sorry for being so late with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom