• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My attempt at an Evolution thread! OhgodwhatamIdoing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love evolution.

It's such a beautiful theory that happens to explain a whole shit ton of things in an extremely elegant way. It all makes sense!

I am doing my masters in photonics (lasers) and I WISH I had one unifying theory like evolution to frame my work on. Instead I have to go back and forth between the quantum and the classical regime, which basically sucks a lot. And you know both theories ARE right, yet both are wrong (more like incomplete). With evolution, it's proof after proof after proof. It's like living the dream

If anyone has any questions about matter, energy and the big bang, while I am not a physicist, I know a little bit about the mechanics involved to explain it. I also have worked with astronomy so dark energy/matter (basically the same thing in the relativistic frame) are not weird concepts.

Also, I really thing more people should get involved in REAL scientific debate. Scientific debate IS NOT pretty and can lead to a lot of perceived anger. Scientists are prone to get frustrated when consensus doesn't agree with new evidence, yet real scientists are the most apt at changing their beliefs given enough evidence. If they weren't, they would quickly become obsolete and lose their jobs.

People should remember that just because someone is screaming at your face, it doesn't mean that what they are saying is wrong. THINK about what is being said to you, and analyze it without the emotional overtones.

Also, one should be able to clearly express one thoughts to others. That means NO WALL OF TEXTS.

"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself"

A. Einstein

Be simple, concise and eloquent, address specific inquiries. NO WALLS OF TEXT

keuja

Vizion28 said:
1)DNA is a code.

2)ALL codes come from intelligent mind.

3)DNA came from an intelligent mind.

etc

Indeed there is no definite proof that DNA comes from evolution since the process can't be 100% replicated yet in labs (yes us, Humans still have much to learn! but we'll get there in time, don't worry) but it doesn't mean that it couldn't have happened naturally.

In all probability, what happened is that a molecule ended up self-replicating due to a random set of environmental circumstances we haven't discovered yet.
Like snowflakes, crystals etc, is there a purpose or an intention behind it? Nope, just the laws of physics/biochemistry.
There are solid scientific theories out there. Just dismissing them by saying that DNA is a code therefore created by an intelligent mind is absurd.

Gravity, speed of light, entropy are indeed arbitrary concepts that have been directly verified in countless occasions.
However DNA code coming from intelligent mind can't be verified at all. The theories are not even on the same level. The first ones are purely physical facts while your theory is borderline metaphysics.

By the way intelligent minds could mean aliens who knows (maybe Tom Cruise is right after all!), it doesn't even prove the existence of god.

I respect people of faith, but they shouldn't try to put a scientific spin on theirs beliefs when there is none.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Vizion28 said:
1)DNA is a code.

2)ALL codes come from intelligent mind.

3)DNA came from an intelligent mind.

The argument uses the scientific method of induction. I am assuming you are familiar with inductive and deductive proofs. All coded information we know of is created. We infer coded information comes from a mind.

WOW - that is some hardcore William Lane Craig, Kent Hovind shit right there. You cannot use any method of induction by first making presumptions. X___x But your entire post (and no doubt your subsequent responses) only reinforce your own stupidity and lack of education... I never understand why people outside of their area of knowledge feel that it's important to assert what they think they know is true.

Good bye =)

Kimosabae

Banned
GloveSlap said:
I firmly believe in evolution, but i do think that there is more going on than just random mutations. Is it crazy to think that organisms, especially complex ones, guide their own evolution to a degree? I'm talking about a kind of connection between body and mind where the brain can sense/analyze environmental pressures to make beneficial changes over time.

Haven't we had this discussion before?

There is generally no such thing as "random". "Random" is just the human interpretation of phenomena/events without an explicable order or nonchalant embrace of a known order ("Things just happened to work out that way").

Therefore, there's debate as to whether or not biological mutations should truly be described as such:

http://www.the-scientist.com/blog/display/56267/
Single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) exist in clusters of varying size and density across the genome. Despite this non-random distribution, scientists believed for many years that these so-called mutational hotspots were the product of natural selection and other post-mutational processes, and that the mutations occurred at random. However, "in last two decades, the large amount of both genomic and polymorphic data has changed the way of thinking in the field," Dacheng Tian of Nanjing University in China, who did not participate in the work, wrote in an email to The Scientist. "[This] idea provides a self-increasing hypothesis, which may be useful to rethink the formation of such non-randomness."

As for the second part:

Your body is composed of trillions of biological flora with an interest in survival and reproduction and this composition manifests you. I don't know what you mean by "guide" evolution, but there's more deciding factors than just what selective pressures human consciousness "chooses" to submit its bio-organic whole to.

keuja

BronzeWolf said:
If anyone has any questions about matter, energy and the big bang, while I am not a physicist, I know a little bit about the mechanics involved to explain it. I also have worked with astronomy so dark energy/matter (basically the same thing in the relativistic frame) are not weird concepts.

i find the dark matter stuff fascinating... Mostly because it leads to theories attempting to predict the fate of the universe or understand the creation of it. (if creation there is, since some theories say that the Universe is eternal or in a perpetual big bang - big crunch cycle). I wonder if we'll ever get the answer to those questions, the technology required to obtain the definitive proofs might be too much for us to ever get...

Random doesn't mean unpredictable.

Electron fluctuation in a gas is truly random for any given particle, but we can have an extremely fucking accurate approximation with the Maxwell-Boltzmann approximation.

Basic Thermodynamics also apply and might give a clue to abiogenesis. Given Gibbs free energy of a process (Gibbs free energy can also be described as how probable a process is compared to other processes) we can measure how probable and how long any abiogenesis process is. If that matches the conditions of past young earth, abiogenesis doesn't just become a viable hypothesis (note: yet not a theory) if given a) enough energy and b) enough time.

It happens all the time in biochemistry, I don't see why it wouldn't happen related to life

Kimosabae

Banned
BronzeWolf said:
Random doesn't mean unpredictable.

Electron fluctuation in a gas is truly random for any given particle, but we can have an extremely fucking accurate approximation with the Maxwell-Boltzmann approximation.

Basic Thermodynamics also apply and might give a clue to abiogenesis. Given Gibbs free energy in a process (Gibbs free energy is how probable is a process of happening compared to others) we can measure how probable and how long any abiogenesis process is. If that matches the conditions of past young earth, abiogenesis doesn't just become a viable hypothesis (note: yet ot a theory) if given a) enough energy and b) enough time.

It happens all the time in biochemistry, I don't see why it wouldn't happen related to life

That response wasn't to me was it? Because I don't see how that contradicts anything I posted.

Dead Man

Wow, I was going to post some interesting stuff from the most recent New Scientists, but instead I think better post this list from them instead: Evolution: 24 myths and misconceptions

It's a great article which I think almost everyone in this thread could gain something from.

The list (each one is a full article at the site):
Everything is an adaptation produced by natural selection

Natural selection is the only means of evolution

Natural selection leads to ever-greater complexity

Evolution produces creatures perfectly adapted to their environment

Evolution always promotes the survival of species

It doesn't matter if people do not understand evolution

"Survival of the fittest" justifies "everyone for themselves"

Evolution is limitlessly creative

Evolution cannot explain traits such as homosexuality

Creationism provides a coherent alternative to evolution

Evolution must be wrong because the Bible is inerrant

Accepting evolution undermines morality

Evolutionary theory leads to racism and genocide

Religion and evolution are incompatible

Half a wing is no use to anyone

Evolutionary science is not predictive

Evolution cannot be disproved so is not science

Evolution is just so unlikely to produce complex life forms

Evolution is an entirely random process

Mutations can only destroy information, not create it

Darwin is the ultimate authority on evolution

The bacterial flagellum is irreducibly complex

Yet more creationist misconceptions

Evolution violates the second law of thermodynamics

Kimosabae, my post was a complementary comment to your post. I see the words "random" and "happenstance" thrown around as if they were somehow limitations to a theory.

They really aren't and the mathematical study of randomness is quite advanced. It's not perfect though for we can't really study truly unpredictably changing stuff. How random a process is falls outside the scope of this thread, but I could explain if someone cared enough. It is worth it to say that we can still study truly random stuff by first assuming it's not "as unpredictably changing" as we think it is, and then approximate that to the real process.

How does Evolution violate the law of entropy? The sun is a constant source of energy that effectively concentrates and organizes it in the form of highly structured molecules.

If the stop died now, evolution would stop right along with it as energy would "fall down" to less organized structures of matter first in the form of biomass, with heat loss at first, then in the form of atoms, and finally dispersing through the universe as cold space junk

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
BronzeWolf said:
How does Evolution violate the law of entropy? The sun is a constant source of energy that effectively concentrates and organizes it in the form of highly structured molecules.

If the stop died now, evolution would stop right along with it as energy would "fall down" to less organized structures of matter first in the form of biomass, with heat loss at first, then in the form of atoms, and finally dispersing through the universe as cold space junk
The (poor) argument is - new information requires new energy, and because no new energy can be introduced to a system, no no information can.

This fails to address the point that a biological entity is not a system on it's own. Yes, energy is depleting in the universe, but that doesn't mean a damn thing when it comes to evolution.

Nocebo

Vizion28 said:
Where do you believe life came from?

If you believe it came about by chance then you have a lot of faith.
Do you believe that the chances of life happening by "chance" is zero or just really really small?

I wonder if you guys realize that evolution actually HELPS your creationist theory....

Not that I believe that, but I just want to let you know...

Big-E

Reading the updates for the day has hurt my brain, best to go to sleep knowing that luckily academia can keep us protected from the loons.

jaxword

BronzeWolf said:
I love evolution.

It's such a beautiful theory that happens to explain a whole shit ton of things in an extremely elegant way. It all makes sense!

vq49yv.gif

Vizion28

Banned
Kinitari said:
Of course, the few religious scientists who refuse to believe in Evolution will eat up any book that claims to kick the legs out from under the theory. We could do this forever, but I'll just stick to the point that this book has been torn to pieces, many many times over. You can just google it and see the clear, simple and straight to point break down.
Torn to pieces my foot. I can take out the book right now and quote the numerous evolutionists verbatim. But that is too time consuming.

I don't understand your point here... if you could clarify, I would really appreciate it. Do you mean many negative mutations are passed down? Yeah, they are - but if they're negative enough to be lethal, that usually means that strain of mutations leads to early death and less chance of passing around, repeat this enough time and it weeds itself out - humans avoid this natural process pretty efficiently, but not perfectly.

This is clarified at the end of this post.

Also, sickle cell isn't necessarily negative, if you are just a carrier you can keep get the benefits of malaria immunity without suffering any negatives from sickle cell.

Surely sickle cell is bad. Have you talked with someone who suffers from the disease?

I don't understand your point exactly but I have a general idea of what you are trying to say. First of all, silly analogies aren't necessary and comparing typing, or computers or clocks to evolution is an act in frivolity. How about just a simple explanation? We see many, many many examples where animals have net positive mutations. We have examples where creatures have developed genes that can only be explained by an 'addition' of information.

We have many examples where animals have net positive mutations? There is not one example found in any science literature! There is not example of a random mutation adding genetic information. Yet evolutionists believe that through random mutations you can get a cell to an ape.

Yes. And there is no reason why more 'information' cannot come about. Heck we've observed it happening. It happening once is enough reason to say "it happens".

Well, the onus is the Evolutionists to show that new genetic information can come about by random mutations. There is not one example!

First I should apologize, sometimes negatives mutations are passed one, but would you agree that a negative mutation poses no benefit for a creature, and reduces its chances to reproduce? Thus increasing the likelihood that mutation will die off.

No, people with sickle cell anemia are more likely or just as likely to reproduce in regions of the world where malaria is rampant. That would be considered a beneficial mutation.
Another example of a beneficial mutations include wingless beetles on small desert islands—if beetles lose their wings and so can’t fly, the wind is less likely to blow them out to sea. But that is not the kind of evolution that can get a cell to an ape. There is no new information added to the genome.

Second, I misrepresented sickle cell a bit. For example, you can carry it, have the immunity to malaria, and not suffer from any adverse sickle cell effects. Thus, it is a net positive.

It is a beneficial mutation, albeit a harmful beneficial mutation. But it can't be used as an example for Evolution. There is no new genetic information added. Just the opposite. People with the disease have mutated hemoglobin which leads to breathlessness, fatigue and a host of other problems.

Thirdly, here is a make believe scenario. Disease A is killing off most people in a region, while they are young and unable to reproduce. Disease B comes along and, while it kills you off before your time, you still live till... lets say, 40. If you have disease B, you are immune to disease A. Would being born with disease B be a benefit in this situation?

I think so. Your point?

Forcing evolution through constant radiation is a bad idea, because radiation makes too many radical changes that usually end in death. Positives are usually much more subtle.

Really, says who?
That is the exact same thing as Evolution. This is exactly what scientists claim are evolution. Even then, you say "many" does that mean you concede that some are? Have I gotten through to you?

That type of "evolution" is not going to get a cell to ape. Not in a billion trillion years.

You see, when Evolutionists generally speak about evolution, they mean genetic change through the time. By that definition even Creationists agree with that. But Evolutionists extrapolate that all life evolved from some primordial cell billions of year ago. That is an extraordinary claim that requires extraordinary evidence.

You can't just make up ideas and concepts. Mutations are like noise, noise is bad, therefore mutations are bad.

HOW are Mutations like noise? Even if you want to say that it is like noise, it isn't the exact same thing as noise, thus A != B.

In communication systems, Random Mutation is exactly the same as noise, and noise always destroys the signal, never enhances it.

Are you familiar with Claude Shannon's information theory? Noise is mathematically identical to entropy.

Illustrations:

http://www.cosmicfingerprints.com/shannon_comm_channel.JPG
http://www.cosmicfingerprints.com/dna_isomorphic.JPG

You keep stressing positive evolution as the increase of information. Positive evolution is the increase in reproduction and survival, the amount of information is irrelevant.

If you there is no additional genetic information there can be no evolution from a cell to an ape. Point blank.

Dude, I wrote a -really- long OP. It's all there. All of it.

A lot of it is bunk. In fact, a lot of the debunked MISinfo can be found in Icons of Evolution.

For instance, the whole vestigial organs has been debunked long ago. Evolutionists used to think the appendix, tonsils, coccyx, and whale "legs" to be useless evolutionary leftovers which serve no function or of little use only later to discover it did serve an invaluable function. The whale "leg" is not vestigial. Whales use it for proper mounting for mating and for males anchor the muscles attached to the penis. The Tonsils are enriched with disease infection fighting cells. The coccyx is important for moving bowels. The appendix is not so useless as once thought http://www.scientificamerican.com/p...=thats-no-vestigial-organ-thats-my-a-09-08-24

I'm surprised you didn't add the whole "junk DNA" mess which was debunked years ago.

I would challenge the rest of it but can't because of time constraints.

I mean, I can't find them -anywhere but- those types of sites. A neutral, scientific site, great. If it's ONLY on whythebibletrumpsdarwin.com or whatever, I am sorry, it's not too useful.

Does it matter what site it is on as long as the information is legitimate?

Now you're losing me. Are you saying it's an example of evolution, but not a... good enough one? If evolution happens, it happens, doesn't matter how fabulous it is.

Do I have to go over what I mean by evolution again?

First of all, do you understand the concept of Gene duplication? I'm honestly not very proficient, but basically, its well understood that genes sometimes, as a mutation, basically just copy themselves. Here is a good example

When that happens, occasionally, the duplicate genes fuse and make something new.

For example, 1010 = digesting vitamin A. 1010+1010 = Digesting vitamin A and B.

That's it, that's how (I think just one way) new information is introduced into DNA. Simple right?

Gene duplication alone does not constitute an increase of genetic. Two copies of today’s newspaper contain no more information than one copy. Gene duplication just copies the same information again, rather than adding new information.

You just gave me 4 claims without backing them up in the least, and you want me to avoid rhetoric? Damn.

Show me hard scientific evidence that supports 1-4 (A wikipedia page would be preferable) and we'll talk.

Fair enough. I got the information from Cornell Geneticist John Sanford who argued that Darwinism is wrong because the rate of genetic deterioration is so high that natural selection could not arrest it. If natural selection cannot arrest genetic deterioration, how then could it be the mechanism for evolutionary improvement?

Sanford predicted through his research that human genome is deteriorating:

For many decades geneticists have been worried about the impact of mutation on the human population (Muller 1950, Crow, 1997). When these concerns first arose, they were based upon an estimated rate of deleterious mutation of 0.12 to 0.30 mutations per person per generation (Morton, Crow and Muller, 1956). Since that time there have persisted serious concerns about accumulating mutations in man leading to a high "genetic load" - and a generally degenerating population. There has also been a long-standing belief that if the rate of deleterious mutations approached one deleterious mutation per person per generation, long-term genetic deterioration would be a certainty (Muller, 1950). This would be logical, since selection must eliminate mutations as fast as they are occurring. We need to prevent mutant individuals from reproducing, but we also need to leave enough remaining people to procreate and produce the next generation. By this thinking, deleterious mutations in man must actually be kept below one mutation for every three children - if selection is to eliminate all the mutations and still allow the population to reproduce. This is because global fertility rates are now less than 3 children for every 2 adults - so only one child in three could theoretically be selectively eliminated. For these reasons, geneticists have been naturally very eager to discover what the human mutation rate really is!

One of the most astounding recent findings in the world of genetics is that the human mutation rate (just within our reproductive cells) is at least 100 nucleotide substitutions (misspellings) per person per generation (Kondrashov, 2002). Other geneticists would place this number at 175 (Nachman and Crowell, 2000). These high numbers are now widely accepted within the genetics community. Furthermore, Dr. Kondrashov, the author of the most definitive publication, has indicated to me that 100 was only his lower estimate - he believes the actual rate of point mutations (misspellings) per person may be as high as 300 (personal communication). Even the lower estimate, 100, is an amazing number, with profound implications. When an earlier study revealed that the human mutation rate might be as high as 30, the highly distinguished author of that study, concluded that such a number would have profound implications for evolutionary theory (Neel et al., 1986). But the actual number is now known to be 100-300! Even if we were to accept the lowest estimate (100 mutations), and further assumed that 97 % of the genome is perfectly neutral junk, this would still mean that at least 3 additional deleterious mutations are occurring per person per generation. So every one of us is a mutant, many times over! What type of selection scheme could possibly stop this type of loss of information? As we will see - given these numbers, there is no realistic method to halt genomic degeneration. Since the portion of the genome that is recognized as being truly functional is rapidly increasing, the number of mutations recognized as being actually deleterious is also rapidly increasing. If all the genome proves functional, then every one of these 100 mutations per person is actually deleterious. Yet even this number is too small, firstly because it is only the lowest estimate, and secondly because it only considers point mutations (misspellings). Not included within this number are the many other types of common mutations - such as deletions, insertions, duplications, translocations, inversions, and all mitochondrial mutations.

[...]

The most rapidly mutating regions of the human genome are within the very dynamic micro-satellite DNA regions. These unique regions mutate at rates nearly 1 million-fold above normal, and are not included in normal estimates of mutation rate. Yet these sequences are found to have biological impact, and their mutation results in many serious genetic diseases (Sutherland and Richards, 1995). It is estimated that for every "regular" point mutation, there is probably at least one micro-satellite mutation (Ellegren, 2000). This effectively doubles the mutation count per person per generation, from 100-300 to 200-600.

Of all these mutations - what percent are truly neutral? In the last few years there has been a dramatic shift in the perceived functionality of most components of the genome. The concept of "junk DNA" is quickly disappearing. In fact, it is the "junk DNA" (non-protein-coding DNA), which appears to be key to encoding biological complexity (Taft and Mattick, 2003). The recent Taft and Mattick study strongly suggest that the more "junk" - the more advanced is the organism. So mutations within "junk DNA" can hardly be assumed to be neutral!

[...]

On a per person basis, 100 mutations represent a loss of only a miniscule fraction of the total information in our genome (the 40 The Mystery of the Genome genome is huge). However, the real impact of such a high mutation rate will be at the population level, and is primarily expressed with the passage of time. Since there are six billion people in the world, and each person has added an average of 100 new mutations to the global population, our generation alone has added roughly 600 billion new mutations to the human race. If we remember that there are only three billion nucleotide positions in the human genome, we see that in our lifetime there have been about 200 mutations for every nucleotide position within the genome. Therefore, every possible point mutation that could happen to the human genome has happened many times over - just during our lifetime! Because of our present large population size, humanity is now being flooded by mutations like never before in history. The consequences of most of these mutations are not felt immediately, but will become manifested in coming generations.

As we will be seeing, there is no selection scheme that can reverse the damage that has been done during our own generation - even if further mutations could be stopped. No amount of selection can prevent a significant number of these mutations from drifting deeper into the population and consequently causing permanent genetic damage to the population. Yet our children's generation will add even more new mutations - followed by the next and the next. This degenerative process will continue into the foreseeable future. We are on a downward slide
that cannot be stopped.

When selection is unable to counter the loss of information due to mutations, a situation arises called "error catastrophe". If not rapidly corrected, this situation leads to the eventual death of the species - extinction. In its final stages, genomic degeneration leads to declining fertility, which curtails further selection (selection always requires a surplus population - some of which can then be eliminated each generation). Inbreeding and genetic drift must then take over entirely - rapidly finishing off the genome. When this point is reached, the process becomes an irreversible downward spiral. This advanced stage of genomic degeneration is called "mutational meltdown" (Bernardes, 1996). Mutational meltdown is recognized as an immediate threat to all of today's endangered species. The same process appears to potentially be a theoretical threat for mankind. What can stop this process?

Read more here http://issuu.com/nitai/docs/mystery_of_genome

Now there is another scientist who bolsters his claim. Michael Lynch (who I believe is not a creationist) of the elite National Academy published on the topic for his inaugural paper. http://www.pnas.org/content/107/3/961.full.pdf+html

And there was another scientists, Brian Sykes, who predicts human males will be extinct will be extinct after a few more generation because of the degradation of the Y chromosome due to mutations. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/features/article1155329.ece

Yet, random mutations are held as a mechanism to get a cell to an ape?

I realise how this is going to sound but i cannot believe someone could study the subject for 10 years and come to those conclusions.

Vizions post reads like someone who has spent a little bit of time randomly googling evolution and creationism.

Edit: man thats a big post. Not sure if i will have the time to respond to it, but i will try if i do.

jaxword

Vizion28 said:
For instance, the whole vestigial organs has been debunked long ago. The appendix is not so useless as once thought http://www.scientificamerican.com/p...=thats-no-vestigial-organ-thats-my-a-09-08-24

"Now the research team has looked at the appendix over evolutionary history. They found that animals have had appendixes for about 80 million years. And the organ has evolved separately at least twice, once among the weird Australian marsupials and another time in the regular old mammal lineage that we belong to. "

If you argue that evolution is wrong and the world is ~6000 years old...then the evidence you just posted is contradicting your own stance.

Nocebo

I guess people who have proven evolution wrong (or people who has read said materials), have no interest in fame, fortune, nobel prizes etc for some reason. If you believe that then you have a lot of faith.

Monocle

foodtaster said:
I am not playing devil's advocate. Evolution is a belief if you "believe" in it. Which I do. I do think that evolution has taken place and this is almost assuredly so, but many do not agree with that. Because of this, I respect their opinion and "believe" in evolution, rather than force this "belief," as you are doing now.

It is only in this context that I would "believe" in evolution. Otherwise, yes, I completely agree with you. You can replace evolution with something like "God" and you will see why I choose to "believe" in it. I just don't want to offend anyone =/
The truth is more important than people's feelings, and evolution is a fact. The process occurs. If it "offends" people to hear that, so much the worse for their feelings.

Korey

foodtaster said:
I am not playing devil's advocate. Evolution is a belief if you "believe" in it. Which I do. I do think that evolution has taken place and this is almost assuredly so, but many do not agree with that. Because of this, I respect their opinion and "believe" in evolution, rather than force this "belief," as you are doing now.

It is only in this context that I would "believe" in evolution. Otherwise, yes, I completely agree with you. You can replace evolution with something like "God" and you will see why I choose to "believe" in it. I just don't want to offend anyone =/
Evolution is a scientific fact.

The "alternatives" are fiction with as much truth to it as Harry Potter or the Twilight series. Unless you feel like we should honor and respect and give equal time to JK Rowling's idea of how the world works.

Monocle

Korey said:
Evolution is a scientific fact.

The "alternatives" are fiction with as much truth to it as Harry Potter or the Twilight series. Unless you feel like we should honor and respect and give equal time to JK Rowling's idea of how the world works.
Spoken like a true muggle.

Surely sickle cell is bad. Have you talked with someone who suffers from the disease?

Have you talked to someone dying from Malaria? The gene responsible for sickle cell in ethnically African populations confers resistance to Malaria when an individual has one of the two alleles that cause it (but not both). If they get both (bad luck), they get sickle cell disease, if they get one but not the other, they are resistant. If they get neither then no resistance and no sickle cell. Since the trait is co-dominant more people have the Malaria resistance than have sickle cell disease, and so the trait is beneficial to the population as a whole.

In order for the trait to be selected against by natural selection, it would have to be exclusively bad, and bad in such a way that it significantly impedes an individual's chances of passing on their genes. Sometimes you get traits that are a little bit bad, but they belong to individuals who have some other traits that are really good, so the bad stuff gets passed down along with the good stuff.

There is not example of a random mutation adding genetic information.

Wtf does "new information" mean, again? We have numerous documented cases of gene duplication and related mutations, which increase the total number of genes. These redundant genes can then mutate without compromising the integrity of the original's functionality. Then you end up with the original gene functionally in tact and a modified copy that does something different. Voila, "new inforamation".

DNA isn't like a book you read, it's a simple binary code (GA or TC are the only bits of information), and since each codes for chemicals every combination is "meaningful". Ergo, "new information" is trivial to explain.

Yet evolutionists believe that through random mutations you can get a cell to an ape.

1. Apes are made up of cells. Cells don't turn into apes. Apes and all other life on Earth have common ancestors in the past.

2. Not just mutations, also natural selection, genetic drift, sexual selection etc. Natural selection is the most famous and arguably most important but there are other processes too.

3. If you're imagining an amoeba spontaneously turning into an ape, you're both wrong and a complete fool.

Well, the onus is the Evolutionists to show that new genetic information can come about by random mutations. There is not one example!

Nope, all gene duplication, crossover events etc lead to new information. If you disagree, then explain what you mean by "new information" and why this isn't it.

You see, when Evolutionists generally speak about evolution, they mean genetic change through the time. By that definition even Creationists agree with that. But Evolutionists extrapolate that all life evolved from some primordial cell billions of year ago. That is an extraordinary claim that requires extraordinary evidence.

Good thing we've got loads of evidence then. Even when we didn't understand genetics at all, we still had nigh irrefutable evidence in the form of comparative anatomy, embryology and most importantly, an extensive fossil record showing that these changes did occur, whether you believe they did or not.

Genetics were just the icing on the cake, a final confirmation of what we already knew along with an understanding of the exact mechanisms by which it occurs.

In communication systems, Random Mutation is exactly the same as noise, and noise always destroys the signal, never enhances it.

Yeah, and if all that was going on was mutation nothing productive would happen. Except numerous other processes guide the development (natural selection et al) to get meaningful changes that lead to useful environmental adaptations and eventually to speciation.

Randomness alone is like trying to roll a dozen sixes using a die. Natural selection is a mechanism by which the incorrect rolls get filtered out and the correct ones get "locked in". Rolling a dozen sixes consecutively is extremely rare, but rolling a dozen sixes in any order and casting out the undesirable results as soon as they come up is very easy and will only take a few minutes.

Gene duplication alone does not constitute an increase of genetic. Two copies of today’s newspaper contain no more information than one copy. Gene duplication just copies the same information again, rather than adding new information.

HERPITY DERP DERP. Already explained above, shame you didn't think it through before you posted.

Evolution is not unlike chaos.

Chaos is different than true randomness because chaos is "guided". In non-spontaneous systems like electronic circuits and software programs, the guidelines are given by the programmer and engineer, but in an spontaneous system like a ecosystem, the constraints are given by the environment. These constraints are reproductive division, sexual selection, environment adaptation among some others and I don't see why information theory conflicts with evolution.

1. In communication systems, Random Mutation is exactly the same as noise, and noise always destroys the signal, never enhances it.

2. Are you familiar with Claude Shannon's information theory? Noise is mathematically identical to entropy.

This is something I am actually familiar with. There are things that you need to understand in your false analogy:

1) There is no signal. There is no destruction of anything because unlike communications where we want to communicate something, in evolution, there is no "message" to be delivered. A far better analogy is what happens to a unstable oscillator. This is an electronic circuit that oscillates with increased gain until it hits a saturation point. While the voltage fluctuations of the oscillation are truly random, the feedback of the system compounds the "start" swing so that it goes to saturation. You don't really have an input signal but you do have a guided noise amplification.

2) I am familiar with Shannon, especially with his theorem. While noise is entropy, entropy is always being receded by a constant flux of energy. Also mutation =/= noise, not even close

You are not taking into account the feedback of the system. Evolution is not possible without feedback.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Korey said:
i don't agree with this. it's important for those other theories to be taught in schools, but not in the science class.

perhaps taught as part of history?

teaching religion is a very important part of education, more so than stories like harry potter or twilight. religion has a huge impact on society, far reaching into our past. it continues to influence economy, politics, sociology, ethics etc. you can't just ignore that and lump it in with popular modern fiction.

Zzoram

Scrow said:
i don't agree with this. it's important for those other theories to be taught in schools, but not in the science class.

teaching religion is a very important part of education, more so than stories like harry potter or twilight. religion has a huge impact on society, far reaching into our past. it continues to influence economy, politics, sociology, ethics etc. you can't just ignore that and lump it in with popular modern fiction.

considering that there isn't time to teach every religion, religion should be taught at home or at church where it belongs, not in school

Korey

Scrow said:

Since when? I don't remember being taught religion in the classroom.

In any case, you said it doesn't belong in a science class, which we are in agreement on. Seeing as this is a science topic, I think you'd agree that it has no place here.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I was about to go to bed... but...

Vizion28 said:
Torn to pieces my foot. I can take out the book right now and quote the numerous evolutionists verbatim. But that is too time consuming.

Please don't. The fact that scientists have come out and said "He misquoted me, I did not say those things" - is enough. That immediately removes validity from his claims.

You can be a carrier without suffering from it. Those times, sickle cell is good.

Bro, the nylon example was perfect. I don't even understand how you don't think it's enough. It's new information, Nylon is a recently invented material. The ability to break down Nylon hasn't been laying dormant for 6 thousand years in some bacteria, waiting for it's opportunity to spring forth. A mutation led to it. Done. Simple. If that can happen, then you must concede that multiple mutations of the like can add up.

No, people with sickle cell anemia are more likely or just as likely to reproduce in regions of the world where malaria is rampant. That would be considered a beneficial mutation.
Another example of a beneficial mutations include wingless beetles on small desert islands—if beetles lose their wings and so can’t fly, the wind is less likely to blow them out to sea. But that is not the kind of evolution that can get a cell to an ape. There is no new information added to the genome.

I'm not sure what you want from me here. Do you think speciation occurs? Do you think 'micro' evolution occurs (I shudder just using the term) - if you want me to lay out a map as to how micro-organisms probably came to turn into mammals, I can show you. But let me tackle one barrier at a time. First, speciation - do you believe it occurs?

It is a beneficial mutation, albeit a harmful beneficial mutation. But it can't be used as an example for Evolution. There is no new genetic information added. Just the opposite. People with the disease have mutated hemoglobin which leads to breathlessness, fatigue and a host of other problems.

Except when it lays dormant in them (which happens), giving them no problems, yet making them immune to Malaria. An entirely positive mutation. New information introduced to that persons genes if you will, that do not take away from... whatever you think is being taken away.

That type of "evolution" is not going to get a cell to ape. Not in a billion trillion years.

I don't see why there is a wall. Where is this wall coming from? Is it coming from you denying that new information can be introduced? So many scientists much smarter than either of us, have researched this their entire lives, and are almost unanimously in agreement that - yes - new information is introduced. I find it funny that you will easily take a Scientists word some times, and just as easily reject it others.

Here is something I can say with confidence. Random Mutation and Noise are not the same thing. Fact. You know why I can say that. Because they are literally not the same thing.

hatin' on my op

Vestigial organs are apparent in so many animals, including us, it's ridiculous that you think otherwise. What function do wisdom teeth have now? Especially considering most of the time, they're a fucking nuisance. Considering our origins, we can -easily- see what their function was a few million years ago. Same with the appendix - any mild function is has no is nowhere near mandatory for survival, and a lot of the time, we need to cut it out. Had it been a useful, positive organ, cutting it out would be a bad idea. Heck the entire idea of being able to pull and cut out our organs goes against the idea of a creator. Why the hell would I have organs in me that would be a detriment to me? Well evolution explains it pretty clearly.

I'm surprised you didn't add the whole "junk DNA" mess which was debunked years ago.
I do mention 'junk' DNA, and how it should be referred to as 'non-coding DNA' now. It's right there in the OP bro.

Does it matter what site it is on as long as the information is legitimate?
Yeah, I like to keep it as neutral as possible. Wikipedia is the best I can find for that, as it usually is directly linked to other scientific studies and reports.

What the hell. Bro - read the wiki, look at the information. Don't make completely random analogies with newspapers and noise and all this random stuff. It's clear, it's backed up by many scientists, studies and the like. Gene duplication is clearly one of the major factors that contributes to new information in the genome. If a gene duplicates itself, there is literally more information being added to the genome. Instead of there being

101010 there is now 101010101010 - that is added information. If you want to use an analogy, look at programming - the latter takes up more room in memory than the former because it is more information. With this duplication, you have more potential, more options for mutation.

You say no information is added to the genome, well look, there is information added to the genome! It's the -same- info, but if it changes via mutation, if the two combined duplicates have a new effect, or who knows what, you now have -different information-.

So if you want added information that is different, you can have a gene duplication, and then mutation - added information that mutates until it is different. Voila.

GloveSlap

Kimosabae said:
Haven't we had this discussion before?

There is generally no such thing as "random". "Random" is just the human interpretation of phenomena/events without an explicable order or nonchalant embrace of a known order ("Things just happened to work out that way").

Therefore, there's debate as to whether or not biological mutations should truly be described as such:

Probably have. I'm not really talking about the definition of random in relation to evolution though. I am talking about the evolution equivalent of your muscles getting bigger after lifting weights or developing callouses where you used to get blisters. The same idea as poking an animal with a stick and getting a reaction. Or at least animals being more susceptible to "random" mutation when under stress.

It's all speculation of course, I just think there might be a piece missing in our complete understanding of the process.

Teaching about religions in an anthropological way (the same way you would teach about history, politics or other country's cultures) is acceptable, a good idea even. Religion has had a huge impact on our culture, historically and continuing into the future. Obviously they should not give special treatment to religions and teach that one of them is true.

But again, as an atheist, I'm fine with teaching them about religions. I went to a catholic school, but I think the education I got about religions there was instrumental in my understanding them as I got older (and eventually leaving them).

Raist

Banned
TacticalFox88 said:
Why did Humans stop evolving or why did we stop we stop at this state? If that makes sense.

Technically we didn't. However, you could say that as a whole species, our evolution is probably "slowed down" by several factors:

- modern medicine
- we generally don't adapt to our environment anymore. We adapt our environment to us
- genetic drift is not really possible anymore, given that we barely have any isolated populations

So unless we send a few thousand people in space, we probably won't see a different Homo species.

And oh look, Vizion28 is back. Complete with fallacies, sophism and quote mining. woot.

GloveSlap said:
Probably have. I'm not really talking about the definition of random in relation to evolution though. I am talking about the evolution equivalent of your muscles getting bigger after lifting weights or developing callouses where you used to get blisters. The same idea as poking an animal with a stick and getting a reaction. Or at least animals being more susceptible to "random" mutation when under stress.

It's all speculation of course, I just think there might be a piece missing in our complete understanding of the process.

I don't think I understand you, could you care to elaborate? I think you are getting your causations confused

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Korey said:
Since when? I don't remember being taught religion in the classroom.
i was taught religion at school. it was a catholic school, but at the time (and now) i identified myself as agnostic. the class wasn't catholic specific though, it taught all religions. Buddhism, Judaism, Hinduism, shamanism... you name it. it was one of the most interesting classes at high school. most importantly, there was no agenda, other than trying to teach kids new things and give them perspective on the world they live in.

Korey said:
In any case, you said it doesn't belong in a science class, which we are in agreement on. Seeing as this is a science topic, I think you'd agree that it has no place here.
why not, i just replied to a post in the thread. where else would it belong?

Zzoram said:
considering that there isn't time to teach every religion, religion should be taught at home or at church where it belongs, not in school
i completely disagree. if schools don't have time to teach the history of human society, the curriculum needs to change.

you don't have to teach every religion. just the major ones that have the biggest influence on humanity.

Dead Man

Raist said:
Technically we didn't. However, you could say that as a whole species, our evolution is probably "slowed down" by several factors:

- modern medicine
- we generally don't adapt to our environment anymore. We adapt our environment to us
- genetic drift is not really possible anymore, given that we barely have any isolated populations

So unless we send a few thousand people in space, we probably won't see a different Homo species.

And oh look, Vizion28 is back. Complete with fallacies, sophism and quote mining. woot.
I think this is the big one, there is very little selective pressure, in that almost everyone gets to have kids, and in the West, almost all of them live.

Raist said:

- modern medicine

The most recent widespread trait evolved in humans (didn't get a chance to fully propagate through the planet) is the ability to process milk after childhood. "Lactose intolerance" is the absence of a genetic mutation that continues lactase production into adulthood and beyond, as opposed to nearly stopping after the first four years of life as in people without this mutation.

Vizion28

Banned
Nocebo said:
Do you believe that the chances of life happening by "chance" is zero or just really really small?

Scientists can't even come close to creating a "simple" cell from scratch, yet Evolutionists believe that life was supposedly formed by chance. If that is not faith then what is?

I don't think most people have an understanding how complex a cell is. It is more complex than a super computer. It is more complex than any machine man has built. Yet they postulate it formed by chance?

The counter argument I sometimes get is "well, the first cell came about through chemical evolution." And that is where I get confused on where Evolution supposedly begin.

Scientists have absolutely no idea how life came about. Go ahead and search the ends of the internet for scientific resources on it because you are not going to find any. The best you will get are mere speculations and "just so" stories on how life may have came about, which is NOT science.

The chance of life forming by chance is virtually impossible. The existence of life is indeed a miracle. Now before you Evolutionists start screaming I'm an idiot, uneducated, and a retard just know the people you guys seem to appeal to, the Evolutionists, as the bearer of all truth agree. I hate to post a wall of text again but these are the guys you side with being openly honest:

"The self-organization of the reductive citric acid cycle without the help of 'informational' catalysts would be a near miracle...It is hard to see how any..[of the potentially self-replicating] polymers that have been described up to now...could have accumulated on the early earth...[It is] to appeal to magic." Leslie E. Orgel, "Self-organizing Biochemical Cycles," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97 (November 7, 2000): 12503-7

Dr. George Wald, Harvard University biochemist, and winner of the 1967 Nobel Prize in science said: "One has only to contemplate the magnitude of this task to concede that the spontaneous generation of a living organism is impossible. Yet here we are -- as a result, I believe, of spontaneous generation." "When it comes to the origin of life on this earth, there are only two possibilities: creation or spontaneous generation (evolution). There is no third way. Spontaneous generation was disproved 100 years ago, but that leads us only to one other conclusion: that of supernatural creation. We cannot accept that on philosophical grounds (personal reasons); therefore we choose to believe the impossible: that life arose spontaneously by chance."

Although a biologist, I must confess that I do not understand how life came about. Of course, it depends on the definition of life. To me, autoreplication of a macromolecule does not yet represent life. Even a viral particle is not a life organism, it only can participate in life processes when it succeeds in becoming part of a living host cell. Therefore, I consider that life only starts at the level of a functional cell. The most primitive cells may require at least several hundred different specific biological macromolecules. How such already quite complex structures may have come together, remains a mystery to me. The possibility of the existence of a Creator, of God, represents to me a satisfactory solution to this problem. - Werner Arber (Professor of Microbiology at the University of Basel, Switzerland, shared Nobel Prize for Physiology/Medicine in 1978 )

More than 30 years of experimentation on the origin of life in the fields of chemical and molecular evolution have led to a better perception of the immensity of the problem of the origin of life on Earth rather than to its solution. At present all discussions on principal theories and experiments in the field either end in a stalemate or in a confession of ignorance. (Dose, Klaus. Interdisciplinary Science Reviews. 13(4):348 (1988)

"An honest man, armed with all the knowledge available to us now, could only state that in some sense, the origin of life appears at the moment to be almost a miracle, so many are the conditions which would have had to have been satisfied to get it going."—*Francis Crick, Life Itself:
Its Origin and Nature, p. 88.

"There is now overwhelmingly strong evidence, both statistical and Relating to the earth science study of fossil organisms and their related remains.paleontological, that life could not have been started on Earth by a series of random chemical reactions.... There simply was not enough time... to get life going." Niles Eldridge (paleontologist at the American Museum of Natural History)

"There is no agreement on the extent to which metabolism could develop independently of a genetic material. In my opinion, there is no basis in known chemistry for the belief that long sequences of reactions can organize spontaneously -- and every reason to believe that they cannot. The problem of achieving sufficient specificity, whether in Consisting of or occurring within a water-based system.aqueous solution or on the surface of a mineral, is so severe that the chance of closing a cycle of reactions as complex as the reverse citric acid cycle, for example, is negligible." Leslie Orgel, 1998 (The Salk Institute for Biological Studies).

Prebiotic chemistry would produce a wealth of biomolecules from non living precursors. But the wealth soon became overwhelming, with the "Refers to the state of matter before life existed, which is hypothesized to play a role in the formation of life (the origin of life).prebiotic soups" having the chemical complexity of asphalt (useful, perhaps, for paving roads but not particularly promising as a wellspring for life). Classical Refers to the state of matter before life existed, which is hypothesized to play a role in the formation of life (the origin of life).prebiotic chemistry not only failed to constrain the contents of the Refers to the state of matter before life existed, which is hypothesized to play a role in the formation of life (the origin of life).prebiotic soup, but also raised a new paradox: How could life (or any organized chemical process) emerge from such a mess? Searches of quadrillions of randomly generated Ribonucleic acid: a chemical that directs the manufacture of proteins and sometimes codes for the genetic material within certain organisms.RNA The order of nucleotides in a DNA or RNA molecule, or the order of amino acids in a protein molecule.sequences have failed to yield a spontaneous Ribonucleic acid: a chemical that directs the manufacture of proteins and sometimes codes for the genetic material within certain organisms.RNA A biomolecule or molecular machine that produces a copy of an information-carrying molecule.replicator. Steven A. Benner, 1999 (professor of Chemistry at the University of Florida).

G. F. Joyce and L. E. Orgel lead us into the Ribonucleic acid: a chemical that directs the manufacture of proteins and sometimes codes for the genetic material within certain organisms.RNA world with a description of the difficulties in achieving the direct synthesis of The chemical combination of one of five single or double ringed bases and a sugar (ribose for RNA or deoxyribose for DNA).nucleosides and Structural components, or building blocks, of DNA and RNA. Nucleotides consists of a base plus a molecule of sugar and one of phosphate.nucleotides from Refers to the state of matter before life existed, which is hypothesized to play a role in the formation of life (the origin of life).prebiotic precursors and conclude that the de novo appearance of Short sequence of single-stranded DNA or RNA often used as probes for detecting complementary DNA or RNA.oligonucleotides on primitive Earth amounts to a "near miracle" W. Keller, 1999

Astrophysicist Sir Fred Hoyle has said:

"If there were some deep principle that drove organic systems toward living systems, the operation of the principle should easily be demonstrable in a test tube in half a morning….No such demonstration has ever been given. Nothing happens…except the eventual production of a tarry sludge."

"All of us who study the origin of life find that the more we look into it, the more we feel that it is too complex to have evolved anywhere. We believe as an article of faith that life evolved from dead matter on this planet. It is just that its complexity is so great, it is hard for us to imagine that it did." (Urey, Harold C.,

Research on the origin of life seems to be unique in that the conclusion has already been authoritatively accepted … . What remains to be done is to find the scenarios which describe the detailed mechanisms and processes by which this happened. One must conclude that, contrary to the established and current wisdom a scenario describing the genesis of life on earth by chance and natural causes which can be accepted on the basis of fact and not faith has not yet been written. Yockey, 1977. (A calculation of the probability of spontaneous biogenesis by information theory, Journal of Theoretical Biology 67:377–398, quotes from pp. 379, 396)

"I would rather believe in fairy tales than in such wild speculation. I have said for years that speculations about the origin of life lead to no useful purpose as even the simplest living system is far too complex to be understood in terms of the extremely primitive chemistry scientists have used in their attempts to explain the unexplainable. God cannot be explained away by such naive thoughts." Sir Ernest Chain, co-holder of 1945 Nobel prize for developing penicillin.

“The statistical probability that organic structures and the most precisely harmonized reactions that typify living organisms would be generated by accident, is zero.”
- Ilya Prigogine (Chemist-Physicist)
Recipient of two Nobel Prizes in chemistry
I. Prigogine, N. Gregair, A. Babbyabtz, Physics Today 25, pp. 23-28

“If you equate the probability of the birth of a bacteria cell to chance assembly of its atoms, eternity will not suffice to produce one… Faced with the enormous sum of lucky draws behind the success of the evolutionary game, one may legitimately wonder to what extent this success is actually written into the fabric of the universe.”

- Christian de Duve. “A Guided Tour of the Living Cell” (Nobel laureate and organic chemist)

If you believe life did form by chance then that's your choice, just know there is no scientific basis for such belief.

As for the other posters, I'll try to give a response soon. I have a busy weekend.

Why are you jumping to abiogenesis? Do you ever stick to one topic? Or are you too thick for that too?

Abiogenesis is a hypothesis
Evolution is a theory.

Are you dense enough to grasp the differences?

Also, get this:

You do NOT understand chance, randomness and chaos, stop writing in terms you clearly don't understand

jdogmoney

Vizion28 said:
I don't think most people have an understanding how complex a cell is. It is more complex than a super computer. It is more complex than any machine man has built. Yet they postulate it formed by chance?

Lol.

plant3.gif

super-computer-2.jpg

I mean, the other posters in this thread are doing a much better job at being patient with your willful ignorance than I would be, so I'll leave them to it. Just wanted to use pictures to illustrate how you are wrong.

Raist

Banned
Dead Man said:
I think this is the big one, there is very little selective pressure, in that almost everyone gets to have kids, and in the West, almost all of them live.

Well actually this one can go both ways, potentially.
Imagine a "bad" mutation which threatens survival (but that does not preclude reproduction).
And then, a second mutation happens, in the same gene or another gene that interacts with the first one, that not only corrects but leads to a better version, as compared to the "normal" one. This would probably not have happened without modern medicine.

Of course that's completely hypothetical, and what are the odds of that, who knows, but it's certainly a possibility.

jdogmoney said:
Lol.

plant3.gif

super-computer-2.jpg

I mean, the other posters in this thread are doing a much better job at being patient with your willful ignorance than I would be, so I'll leave them to it. Just wanted to use pictures to illustrate how you are wrong.

Well even if his conclusion is wrong (purely for psychological reasons, I suspect) he's right. A cell, let alone an entire organism, is far more complex than a mere computer.

"When it comes to the origin of life on this earth, there are only two possibilities: creation or spontaneous generation (evolution). There is no third way. Spontaneous generation was disproved 100 years ago, but that leads us only to one other conclusion: that of supernatural creation"

Is this quote serious? because if it is, it's dumber than a fucking bag of bricks. I mean? ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS? READ THIS AND LEARN:

SOME BASIC LOGIC

False Dichotomy
Arbitrarily reducing a set of many possibilities to only two. For example, evolution is not possible, therefore we must have been created (assumes these are the only two possibilities). This fallacy can also be used to oversimplify a continuum of variation to two black and white choices. For example, science and pseudoscience are not two discrete entities, but rather the methods and claims of all those who attempt to explain reality fall along a continuum from one extreme to the other.

Vizion28 said:
Scientists can't even come close to creating a "simple" cell from scratch, yet Evolutionists believe that life was supposedly formed by chance. If that is not faith then what is?

The counter argument I sometimes get is "well, the first cell came about through chemical evolution." And that is where I get confused on where Evolution supposedly begin.

Scientists have absolutely no idea how life came about. Go ahead and search the ends of the internet for scientific resources on it because you are not going to find any. The best you will get are mere speculations and "just so" stories on how life may have came about, which is NOT science.

The chance of life forming by chance is virtually impossible. The existence of life is indeed a miracle. Now before you Evolutionists start screaming I'm an idiot, uneducated, and a retard just know the people you guys seem to appeal to, the Evolutionists, as the bearer of all truth agree. I hate to post a wall of text again but these are the guys you side with being openly honest:

So where did it start? Basically you are alluding to the point that life had to be created by something which is even more unlikely.

I also think the logic of going back and saying the chances of life coming about is virtually impossible is a little off.

Just as an example get a deck of cards. Deal that deck out 10,000 times and record your exact results. Then go and work out the odds of dealing the cards out in that exact order. The chance of this happening would be incredibly small and yet it wouldn't be impossible because you have already done it.

Also just as another point just even if we couldn't pin point exactly how life started that doesn't invalidate the theory of evolution.

My other problem is you are looking at ways that a working cell as we know it today could have come about spontaneously. It is much more likely (in fact a certainty) that the process took multiple stages before we reached the more complex cell you are describing.

Edit:
jdogmoney said:
Lol.

I think that oversimplifies the cells function somewhat.

Dilly

Banned
jdogmoney said:
Lol.

plant3.gif

super-computer-2.jpg

The way a cell works goes beyond a picture of the parts of a cell.

"Scientists have absolutely no idea how life came about"

Another logical fallacy if there ever was one

Ad ignorantiam
The argument from ignorance basically states that a specific belief is true because we don’t know that it isn’t true. Defenders of extrasensory perception, for example, will often overemphasize how much we do not know about the human brain. It is therefore possible, they argue, that the brain may be capable of transmitting signals at a distance. UFO proponents are probably the most frequent violators of this fallacy. Almost all UFO eyewitness evidence is ultimately an argument from ignorance – lights or objects sighted in the sky are unknown, and therefore they are alien spacecraft. Intelligent design is almost entirely based upon this fallacy. The core argument for intelligent design is that there are biological structures that have not been fully explained by evolution, therefore a powerful intelligent designer must have created them. In order to make a positive claim, however, positive evidence for the specific claim must be presented. The absence of another explanation only means that we do not know – it doesn’t mean we get to make up a specific explanation.

"The best you will get are mere speculations and "just so" stories on how life may have came about, which is NOT science."

Speculations are hypothesis. Testing them makes science. You DO NOT understand science

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Vizion28 said:
scientists openly admit there's a lot they don't know, that there's still lots to learn, and that as they learn more the theories will change. they are not stories, they are theories. theories that are based on what we currently know about the nature of things and that will change as we learn more. science is itself an evolutionary process. that is science.

the difference is that religion doesn't know either, but won't admit it and doesn't want to change.

Dead Man

Raist said:
Well actually this one can go both ways, potentially.
Imagine a "bad" mutation which threatens survival (but that does not preclude reproduction).
And then, a second mutation happens, in the same gene or another gene that interacts with the first one, that not only corrects but leads to a better version, as compared to the "normal" one. This would probably not have happened without modern medicine.

Of course that's completely hypothetical, and what are the odds of that, who knows, but it's certainly a possibility.
Well yeah, there is that. Long odds, but not impossible.

Vizion28 said:
yet Evolutionists believe that life was supposedly formed by chance.
You obviously have no understanding of either evolutionary theory, or chance. I'm surprised you have been humoured as long as you have been in this thread.

You are also having another logical fallacy with your quotes.

Argument from authority
The basic structure of such arguments is as follows: Professor X believes A, Professor X speaks from authority, therefore A is true. Often this argument is implied by emphasizing the many years of experience, or the formal degrees held by the individual making a specific claim. The converse of this argument is sometimes used, that someone does not possess authority, and therefore their claims must be false. (This may also be considered an ad-hominen logical fallacy – see below.) In practice this can be a complex logical fallacy to deal with. It is legitimate to consider the training and experience of an individual when examining their assessment of a particular claim. Also, a consensus of scientific opinion does carry some legitimate authority. But it is still possible for highly educated individuals, and a broad consensus to be wrong – speaking from authority does not make a claim true. This logical fallacy crops up in more subtle ways also. For example, UFO proponents have argued that UFO sightings by airline pilots should be given special weight because pilots are trained observers, are reliable characters, and are trained not to panic in emergencies. In essence, they are arguing that we should trust the pilot’s authority as an eye witness. There are many subtypes of the argument from authority, essentially referring to the implied source of authority. A common example is the argument ad populi – a belief must be true because it is popular, essentially assuming the authority of the masses. Another example is the argument from antiquity – a belief has been around for a long time and therefore must be true.

Just because a bunch of rockstars say they don't think abiogenesis is not possible doesn't mean it is not. Test the shit out of the theory! And even if it doesn't work, that doesn't mean it's creation. Many other viable theories still exist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom