• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Xbox went up!!! >_<

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
So I was just getting ready to play a quick game of Ninja Gaiden and I'm getting dirty disc errors! I've only had the system for a little over 5 months. It had one of the dreaded Thompson drives so I knew its days were numbered from day one but this is just a little bit ridiculous. I didn't pay anything for it but I'm still pissed because now 1 of the 2 games I own for it doesn't work! The game locks up randomly or gives the error whenever the game tries to load data or when I try to save. I sure as hell am not going to pay to have it fixed so that it can blow up again and I'm not about to purchase a new one (even though I was looking forward to DOAU... hopefully that will work).

So give me some advice. What do I have to do to get MS to repair it for free? I thought I read on here a while ago that if you answer their questions a certain way they won't charge you but the actual answers weren't posted. I could really use those responses right about now. And if that doesn't work... anyone know how much EB or Gamestop give for an Xbox?

Paradox

My xbox had been making odd noises for the last couple days. Today I guess it decided it dident want to work anymore. It just doesent boot up and gives me this service screen. Also the green power button starts flashing red :(

bheemer

you guys must treat your stuff like crap. ive had a launch xbox with thompson drive since day one with no problems.

sure as the age has carried ive noticed longer load times and some dropped frames but nothing major.

Spike

JC, if you have a good relationship with your EB store manager, try asking if they are willing to sell you an extended service plan. Have your system with you.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
bheemer said:
you guys must treat your stuff like crap. ive had a launch xbox with thompson drive since day one with no problems.

sure as the age has carried ive noticed longer load times and some dropped frames but nothing major.

No, I most certainly do not treat my stuff like crap thank you very much!!!! As a matter of fact I'm probably in the upper 1% when it comes to taking care of my stuff.

I've owned every console released in the states since the Colecovision except for the CD-i, SegaCD, 32X, TG16, and Jaguar and they all still work. Xboxes breaking are more of a bad luck thing than anything else it would seem.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Spike said:
JC, if you have a good relationship with your EB store manager, try asking if they are willing to sell you an extended service plan. Have your system with you.

I hardly ever shop there anymore but I do have a good relationship with one of the managers so its worth a shot I guess. You think they would do that even if I never bought the Xbox there? I won it on the radio so I have no idea where it came from originally. Probably straight from MS.

Spike

JC10001 said:
I hardly ever shop there anymore but I do have a good relationship with one of the managers so its worth a shot I guess. You think they would do that even if I never bought the Xbox there? I won it on the radio so I have no idea where it came from originally. Probably straight from MS.

But they don't know that you didn't get it there. :D

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Send it to someone and get it modded; have them rip out the thompson drive and put in a Samsung one instead. :)

Pachinko

Have you tried using a lens cleaner ? I've got a thompson drive launch xbox system and the only time I've ever had problems was with XboxM discs when they had cardboard slip covers.

You might want to contact your local EB and find out what they will give you for the system in the condition it's in. You could then use that credit to buy a refurbished Xbox.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Hehe same thing happened to my brother's Xbox which went up in less than a week.

Was trying so hard to maintain a serious face when he took it in for a refund at the local EB, the manager is a fuckwit and I wanted to see my brother smack him down. Of course my brother forgot to pack in the Halo manual that came with the Xbox and the manager asked him if he could bring it back in a few days time.. needless to say, the manual is still in his room.

That's one of the reasons why I am so hesitant in buying an Xbox unless I know it has a Samsung drive in it.

Dyne

bheemer said:

Me too. I haven't noticed any decline in mine's performance, though. And, on top of that, it's been to Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and California over the years, sitting in dusty hotel rooms.

joaomgcd

JC10001 said:
So I was just getting ready to play a quick game of Ninja Gaiden and I'm getting dirty disc errors! I've only had the system for a little over 5 months. It had one of the dreaded Thompson drives so I knew its days were numbered from day one but this is just a little bit ridiculous. I didn't pay anything for it but I'm still pissed because now 1 of the 2 games I own for it doesn't work! The game locks up randomly or gives the error whenever the game tries to load data or when I try to save. I sure as hell am not going to pay to have it fixed so that it can blow up again and I'm not about to purchase a new one (even though I was looking forward to DOAU... hopefully that will work).

So give me some advice. What do I have to do to get MS to repair it for free? I thought I read on here a while ago that if you answer their questions a certain way they won't charge you but the actual answers weren't posted. I could really use those responses right about now. And if that doesn't work... anyone know how much EB or Gamestop give for an Xbox?

When this happened to me, I just called Microsoft and told them what was happening. They sent a UPS guy over to my house, to pick up my Xbox, and 10 days later, I had it back, with a repaired (or maybe new) drive. All this, free of charge.
The only thing the guy asked me, was when I bought my Xbox. I told him I won it in a contest, about 1 year ago, so I didn't have a receipt. So there you go. :)

SaitoH

bheemer said:

This happens to all the current systems. GCs seem to be the most durable. Maybe it's because it's a fliptop system? But PS2s and Xboxs will have problems. Most of the time when PS2s have disc read errors it's simply dust, but I've had minimal success with cleaning Xboxes.

I would call Microsoft and complain vehemently. Five months means you got a bad system ... which happens from time to time.

^w^

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I just finished talking to customer service. I told the rep about the problem and she offered to fix it for a price.

I was like: "but I've only had it for 5 months. Its obviously defective. Is there anyway I can get it fixed for free?"

Then she tried to act like I must have done something to cause the problem and I asked to speak to a supervisor. He was like "well, sir the price she gave you was a discount." "Is your system in a well ventilated area?"

I wanted to go through the phone and b@*ch slap him.

I told him that I knew it wasn't my fault, that I've never had a system break, and that I was well aware of how the Thompson drives are defective because of all the banter on the internet and then he FINALLY caved in and offered a free repair.

I'm glad that things went okay. I just wish I didn't have to pull so many teeth.

Ecrofirt

I hate you bastards.

The Philips drive works completely fine. It works like a champ in my box, and it ready anything I throw at it.

Top Bottom