• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Myst Trilogy

Ok, so I picked this one up at Wally-mart today along with one of those TV Games controllers. I've only started playing the first game and was wondering what the consensus is on the Myst game series. I always thought it was something I could get myself into just never had the time or correct computer specs at the time (I know). Has anyone actually finished one of these games? What did you think of it/them? No spoilers please!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I played Myst with a friend back when it was released for Saturn, enjoyed it a lot. It had an amazing, mysterious atmosphere back then. Slow game, but we didn't really mind. I recently bought Real Myst, which is a 3D realtime remake of the original, with an added world. Really cool and looks great, but I can't start the game anymore because of some unknown error. :/

Anyway, I've played and finished Riven (the 'sequel') for PSX, and it was a nice game too. Although it lacked that certain something I saw in Myst.

Never played Myst III: Exile. Been thinking of picking it up, but I'm not sure.

Prince of Space said:
Read the books instead.

I've heard a lotta good things about the books too. I'll probably pick them up sometime. I thought I would hate the reading parts in the game but I find myself enjoying them a lot. The writing is very well done and it adds so much to the atmosphere. I'm actually rather impressed.

I didn't know about real Myst. I'm thinking I'll pick that one up and play it instead of my masterpiece edition, which is the old version. I'm a sucker for bizarre puzzles and "all alone by yourself" kinda games so I'm really digging this one.

Flynn

The games were the first to make me feel really "immersed" with their mix of ambient sounds, disconcerting music and unique setting.

I also enjoyed the way it played against video game expectations.

Usually you're used to fast paced, action-filled games. In Myst and Riven you were always expecting *something* when it finally did, it almost always took you off guard or seemed all the more thrilling.

I'd like to see more games withhold a little more.

Top Bottom