• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N64 Controllers....is there any way to tighten the analog stick?

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
I just got a controller from one of my close friends to use. With his permission I opened it up to see if there was any OBVIOUS way to tighten it up. Unfortunately after all the white dust from all the grinded up plastic fell out on me....I came to the conclusion that GAF was my only way out. Does anyone have any tips.....and buy a new controller doesn't count. It's blue and the the analog stick floats a bit.

Dyne

My cousin opened his up - it only made it worse. It was permanently stuck to the side. I don't think there's any way to strengthen it.

raYne

Heh I used to clean out the dust in my controller every few days to keep the analog stick smooth... good times.

My cousin opened his up - it only made it worse. It was permanently stuck to the side. I don't think there's any way to strengthen it.
It's stuck because he didn't center the gears correctly, he should've centered the stick before he put it back together.
nobody has any suggestions?
Uh... you said it grinded up plastic, best to deal with it.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Asskicker064 said:
I wish Nintendo would have re-released the N64 controller or make a GC -> N64 adapter. The N64 analog stick is such shit.
I agree. Not only did it become unplayable after a certain time because of plastic grinding away, but it was very uncomfortable to use in comparison to the Dual Shock sticks.

It's a shame that eventually, it will be difficult to find official N64 controllers that still function properly.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Step 1) Open up the controller, paying careful attention to how it was held together.
Step 2) Take apart the individual pieces of the stick, paying careful attention to how it was held together.
Step 3) Clean the white powder out from the soft plastic bowl
Step 4) Smooth out the rounded bottom of the joystick (white powder was ceated by plastic tip left by the mold scratching the soft plastic bowl)
Step 5) Stretch out the spring a bit
Step 6) Put it back together as it was
Step 7) Be more gentle with your controllers, mine never got loose like that.

If you buy a new N64 controller, it would be good to do this right away minus steps 3 and 5 as they wouldn't be needed.

snaildog

Asskicker064 said:
I wish Nintendo would have re-released the N64 controller or make a GC -> N64 adapter. The N64 analog stick is such shit.
Wow, that is the best idea ever. I'd buy four straight away and then start buying/playing N64 games again. Anybody know of any third-party accessories? Someone write to Nintendo!

Dragmire

I tightened one of my N64 controllers before. What I did was twist the spring to make it tighter. It's definitely tighter, but too much so. Maybe you could do it better than me, but after I did it, you have to push the stick quite hard for it to give a strong response. I could easily open it up and fix it (I tightened it years ago), but I have several controllers so I never bothered. Then whenever I had a multiplayer session, people always had to argue over who gets the funky controller.

Top Bottom