• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nail'd |OT| Fuel the bikes, pack the parachutes

naild_630_header.jpg

The Official GAF Thread

features_text_en.png

Systems: PC / 360 / PS3

Release Date: North America - 30th November, 2010 / Europe - 4th February, 2011

GAMESCOM TRAILER

Debut Trailer
E3 Get Dirty Gameplay Trailer

Articles worth perusing:

EGMi Preview
Destructoid Hands-On Preview
Eurogamer Hands-On Preview

Offscreen Gameplay Footage:

E3 2010 Vid 01
E3 2010 Vid 02

Direct Feed Gameplay Footage:

360 Gameplay

Reviews:

Games Abyss - 9.5/10

Techland set out to create a genuinely fun arcade racer and with the Nail'd, they have pulled it off masterfully. Simply put, Nail'd is sinfully delightful in every way imaginable. You will relish in every miscalculated jump and every ensuing explosion. In an industry that takes itself way to seriously, Nail'd is a laugh-out-loud video game experience that needs to be embraced by every gamer and not just fans of the genre. It is the ultimate pick-up and go experience. Move over, Motorcross. ATV racing just doesn't get much better than this.

Destructoid - 7/10

For some, Nail’d simply being the fastest damned game on the market won’t be enough to sell them on picking up the controller and giving it a go. That’s understandable, as there are deeper and more polished experiences in both the simulation and arcade categories. But despite its lack of any real innovation or complexity, Nail’d succeeds in being one of the most approachable and entertaining racers of the year. Just temper your expectations accordingly, hit the gas and ignore the brakes, and you’ll have one hell of a ride.

Diehard GameFAN - Good Game

This game won’t satisfy someone looking for the next Gran Turismo or Burnout on that level, however, and some collision detection issues hurt things a bit, as does a lack of offline multiplayer. nail’d doesn’t suffer much for these issues, however, as the core experience is still quite enjoyable and worth checking out, especially if you’re the sort of gamer who laments the loss of the simpler days of Wipeout, Ridge Racer and Jet Moto, and if you are, I can guarantee you this will put a smile on your face.

Joystiq - 3.5/5

As it stands, Nail'd is an arcade racer less about perfection and more about the simple joys of going fast and landing big stunts. It's a simple trick, but it's well-executed. Throw in online and system link multiplayer for 12 players (no split-screen, sorry), plenty of unlockables and free DLC, and Nail'd is an attractive budget title.

Sure, it doesn't redefine the genre, but it does add hot air balloons, and that has to count for something.

---

Nail'd Facebook Page

---

Thanks to Mod Stumpokapow for the snappy name change! Much obliged.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Now this is my type of game. The second half of the gameplay video is freaking awesome.

Vic said:
Now this is my type of game. The second half of the gameplay video is freaking awesome.

I think what got me was the promise of being able to steer your vehicle mid-flight, so tweaking direction and movement after launch really sounds like it'll be something chaotic.

I just want insane drops.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Pylon_Trooper said:
I think what got me was the promise of being able to steer your vehicle mid-flight, so tweaking direction and movement after launch really sounds like it'll be something chaotic.

I just want insane drops.
Pure did those things you've mentioned very well. When I was watching the gameplay video you posted, the fact that it's an ATV arcade racing game already grabbed my attention, but when I saw that you can land and drive on a moving train I literally said "holy shit" :lol

BTW, this game is coming out for PC as well. Thank god!

The M.O.B said:
Any gameplay footage from gamescom? Like a complete run through of a track.

That's what I'd like to see as well, but info seems a little thin on the ground. I might drop them a message on the Facebook page and see if their community manager has any links or footage. Of course, if anyone else has any links, do share!

banKai said:
played it and the bikes steer a little too sensitively imo. but the tracks are awesome!

Good to hear the impressive tracks are there. Any other insights? I'm curious to hear of the oversensitivity of the handling, too. Was it shared across quad and two-wheel?

KillerAJD

Ugh, something about the third video is off. It looks as if I'm flying a spectator camera around, and that's not want I want from an atv racer. The third person camera looks better, but I still dislike being able to move twenty feet all over the place once you're in the air. At least it looks pretty. All I can hope for is a demo to check it out myself, because I had some the of the same concerns with PURE and ended up loving that.

Witchfinder General said:
Is there a track list for the music? If they've got some awesome Metal bands I might bite.

According to PSXExtreme...

It's a who's who of metal bad-assery, including Raymond Herrera and Christian Olde Wolbers (Fear Factory, Arkaea), Pat Lachman (Damageplan), Wayne Static (Static X), Jamey Jasta (Hatebreed), Stephen Carpenter (Deftones), Jed Simon (Strapping Young Lad), and John Boecklin (DevilDriver). These guys came together to produce 3 dedicated songs for the game: "Count for Something," "Through the Walls of Flame" (vocals by Jasta) and "Decimator" (vocals by Wayne Static).

...in addition, bands like Slipknot, Aggressive Chill, Backyard Babies, Queens of the Stone Age and more will deliver a hefty punch via musical accompaniment.

Sydle

Terrible name, but this looks like it will satisify my need for a Pure sequel. Might be a day one if it releases at $40, but anything higher and I'll just wait for the inevitable drop.

One of the first reviews has come in, giving Nail'd a 9.5...and despite it being a small site (Games Abyss), the review is well written and nicely articulated.

REVIEW

I reckon this'll be the underdog of 2010. Sounds wonderful!

Phloxy

Watching a live-stream of some people playing it, guessing they are pirates, but shit this game looks really really horrible.

Phloxy said:
Watching a live-stream of some people playing it, guessing they are pirates, but shit this game looks really really horrible.

Care to elucidate? I'm always curious as to what floats others' boats. What didn't it do right?

Year of the racers, 2010 truly has been kind to fans of the genre - be it kart, offroad, arcade or sim.

Nail'd just looks incredible...the verticality and air king of 2010, quite possibly!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Damn, add in weapons like missiles and machine guns and it could have been Hydro Thunder off-road.
I don't think Hydro Thunder had any weapons. Full Auto is the only now-gen console racing game I can think of with missiles and machine guns.

I played this at E3 and I liked what I saw. The version I played was balls hard, which I see as plus. But they might have toned down the difficulty since then.

SapientWolf said:
I played this at E3 and I liked what I saw. The version I played was balls hard, which I see as plus. But they might have toned down the difficulty since then.

I take the SapientWolf view as valid and credible! Good to hear! :D

ram

playing the ps3 version (retail) right now and i like the action - its nothing like pure - its totally over the top action like bunrout or even more extreme. the handling is easy and tight and the tracks are jaw-dropping.

but:

the visuals are like eye-cancer! its like your typical techland game with tearing and framedrops but they use another thing which makes the game unplayable.

BLUR

naild uses extreme blur-effects and with the stupid black / white effect (when using nitro = in other words all the time), you cant see shit in this visual mess.

stay away from it. worst visuals in this whole (shitty) generation so far.

Sheesh, that sounds a bit harsh. Worse visuals this gen? Everything I've seen of the game in motion looks rather serviceable. I've got the PS3 version coming in, so I'd like to compare notes when it arrives.

thegodsend said:
It looks exactly like FUEL. Even the logo.

Big FUEL fan here, and I think the logo is the only similarity these two share. If you ask me, there wasn't enough bounce in the FUEL physics engine, so there's one thing I'm looking forward to.

MiniDitka

Called a few Gamestops but they knew nothing about the game being released so I called ToysRUs and they had it in stock. Quick impression is the game is fun but too busy and its often hard to tell which direction to go. The game does seem like it will be a blast online though :D

This game looks insanely fast and very responsive. I can see where the Wipeout and Jet Moto comparisons are coming from- and that is something I can get behind!

I'm planning on picking this up :D

from the giantbomb QL the game looks SUPER fast, but the track design is pretty incoherent and pretty broken looking at times. Was hoping for a spiritual successor to PURE but this doesn't seem like it's in the same vein.

I'd say it's more a case of knowing the tracks and the performance/aerodynamic capabilities of your bike. Jeff seemed to enjoy himself despite the continued crashes, though. As Poimandres said, it's got a bit of a WipEout feel to it - and nobody can say they run through any of those games' tracks without bashing into things the first few times.

Still, for a lot of people, they've already been served their dose of racing this year. Shame, if you ask me!

After looking through the screens I see there is motorcycles. Phew. My interest was dropping fast.

quads lol

*watches videos*

Excitebike 64 + Excitetruck whilst going downhill? Looks pretty badass!

The M.O.B

Mi Impressionas! PC

-VERY FAST!BLAZING!

-They turn on the "HD Filter", Bloomed out and bluish tint whenever you boost, makes it even harder to see where to go, its terrible.

-Invisible boundaries EVERYWHERE! This is horrible, You get massive air only to run into an invisible boundary. Bad design. Let me fly off into the distance and explode :)

-Very easy to lose your direction, and to lose sight of where the track is. Many times I would fly into the air and lose sight of where I am supposed to land, which usually ends in me exploding :(. This can also be contributed to me not following the many arrows pointing in the direction your supposed to go. :D

-Turning in mid-air is awesome! Sometimes you have to do a complete 180 turn in mid-air.

-Turning on the ground is very sharp, there is no sliding really, your atv or bike will turn on a dime. This fits the "arcadey" mold perfectly.

-TREE RUNS!<3

Quite a fun game, but the invisible boundaries and a couple other things can put the damper on your fun occasionally.

I have played about 6-7 races before posting these impressions.

Top Bottom