• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nail'd |OT| Fuel the bikes, pack the parachutes

VALIS said:
Oof. Dealbreaker for me.

I'm not doubting the man's words, but I really want to see if the geometry is as wonky as a few have said. I thought it'd be mentioned a lot more in reviews! In any case, as previously stated, maybe it's all about track familiarisation.

Pylon_Trooper said:
I'm not doubting the man's words, but I really want to see if the geometry is as wonky as a few have said. I thought it'd be mentioned a lot more in reviews! In any case, as previously stated, maybe it's all about track familiarisation.

Yep, I'm sure once you've gotten the lay of the land the boundaries won't be an issue. At least I hope so. Anyway, I need that sweet sweet speed fix.

Fastest game this gen?!

MiniDitka

Pylon_Trooper said:
If I can somehow manage to do decent in a race and not embarrass myself I'll post some video later on.

MiniDitka said:
If I can somehow manage to do decent in a race and not embarrass myself I'll post some video later on.

Good man. Even if it's as crash-filled as Lindsay Lohan's career, I say broadcast!

Poimandres said:
Fastest game this gen?!

I'd say so, without counting WipEout HD/Fury.

I haven't played this yet, but I wanted to say one thing about the GiantBomb Quick Look where they were crashing every other turn and flying all over the place. If you watch the end of the same QL, they observe a couple of random people playing online, and even they remark how cleanly those people are able to play the same game. I love GiantBomb, but sometimes you have to take their QL's with a grain of salt.

Yeah, it's interesting, footage I've seen elsewhere also showcases how important boosting is whilst you're in the air to adjust your direction and aid in dodging a lot of the obstacles. Perhaps it's a product of Jeff having played a lot of NFS of late.

MiniDitka

Square Triangle said:
Thanks Mini!
You might want to hold your thanks until after you've seen me play :lol I've only played a few games so expect a lot of crashing but at least you can get an idea of how the game plays. Hmm, for some reason I cant get it to work with my component cables so let me try the composite.

DeadGzuz said:
Wow, someone else played that and like it like me? Sweet!
I played it and liked it too!

Edit:Let me know if this is working http://www.ustream.tv/channel/the-miniditka-show

MiniDitka

Pylon_Trooper said:
Holy hell, that's a fast game. Thanks for the stream, Mini!
Couple more games and thats it for me. The game is just too busy and with that freakin motion blur makes it hard to see where to go.

The M.O.B

MiniDitka said:
I cant see a freaking thing :lol

Edit:I think I hate this game.

:lol I know, it is freaking impossible to see where to go, and the boost blur makes it even worse.

I like that they tried to do a blazing fast racer thing, but I wish they would have gone with a more simplistic and less busy design.

All this talk of ultra fast and ultra difficult to see where one's going...strangely...only makes me more keen. I think Poimandres is with me on this one.

Haunted

Worse than Pure, so no deal.

Pylon_Trooper said:
Phew *tugs collar* Tough crowd. No love for the Xpand Rally guys?
:lol great first reply after an hour. You always take care of the otherwise overlooked/underrepresented games, so I guess at least that's appreciated... on some level.

Haunted said:
:lol great first reply after an hour. You always take care of the otherwise overlooked/underrepresented games, so I guess at least that's appreciated... on some level.

Look, I can't take all the credit for peoples' disinterest! This was originally just a trailer and info thread, and if my Section 8 Prejudice Information thread is anything to go by, peoples' interest is not a hard thing to dodge around here! :lol

But I thank you for stopping by, Haunted. :D

Dandy J

Is this 60fps on console? It's super smooth on PC and I've been playing with all the effects crap turned off. With boost madness I can't imagine playing at anything lower than 60fps, sometimes it seems even to fast for that haha. As for the invisible barriers/learning tracks, I'm not having any trouble, about 60% done with the single player.

aegies

Dandy J said:
Is this 60fps on console? It's super smooth on PC and I've been playing with all the effects crap turned off. With boost madness I can't imagine playing at anything lower than 60fps, sometimes it seems even to fast for that haha. As for the invisible barriers/learning tracks, I'm not having any trouble, about 60% done with the single player.

It's definitely is not 60 FPS on console. It almost never hits 30, on PS3 or 360.

S1kkZ

this game is fucking awesome, one of the best arcade racers iv'e played in a long time. its like the perfect mix between hydro thunder (the dc version) and pure.

great visuals, good controls, fucking awesome track design and a nice soundtrack.

Bebpo

Banned
MiniDitka said:

That's hilarious :lol

I can definitely see the problem of not being able to tell where the track is when you're high in the air. It seems like if you boost too much before a jump you end up way beyond where the track wanted you to go and then you're lost in some random area and it respawns you. Either that or you boost before a jump and fly into an object because you were too high.

Shame, I like the idea of a fast sense of speed offroad racer, but yeaaaaaah seems like a pass.

S1kkZ

Bebpo said:
That's hilarious :lol

I can definitely see the problem of not being able to tell where the track is when you're high in the air. It seems like if you boost too much before a jump you end up way beyond where the track wanted you to go and then you're lost in some random area and it respawns you. Either that or you boost before a jump and fly into an object because you were too high.

Shame, I like the idea of a fast sense of speed offroad racer, but yeaaaaaah seems like a pass.
the ql is makes the game look A LOT worse. jeff just plays it wrong (always boosting).
dont dismiss the game because of this bad ql.

S1kkZ said:
this game is fucking awesome, one of the best arcade racers iv'e played in a long time. its like the perfect mix between hydro thunder (the dc version) and pure.

great visuals, good controls, fucking awesome track design and a nice soundtrack.

What platform are you running it on, sir?

B-Dex

I just picked this up today and really have to say the track design is fantastic. I've never really run into any weird invisible walls or janky collision yet. However I've only just done all of Arizona and the first Yosemite race (which was awesome btw).

So far only 2 things I dislike. The soundtrack is awful (i'm not a fan of this type of music anyways but still) and the unlocks are really vague like "You unlocked a new part." and when you unlock a new paint job I swear it is randomly adding them in with the ones already unlocked because if I go to check what paint is new the last one before all the locked ones appear is always the same.

Otherwise it's a really fun arcade off-road racer with really insane tracks. Highly recommend it if you're into arcadey racing games.

I as well got a chance to play this on the PS3. The tracks really are a blast to race on..but that's when the fun ends. The character models and ATV models are disgusting looking- like a very badly done pixelated blob with blur.

Also as others have mentioned, the "metal" soundtrack is TERRIBLE. None of it was really anything close to metal, just generic rock music.

Top Bottom