• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco Announces Exclusive Mr. Driller and Ridge Racer for Nintendo DS Launch (PR)

Brofist

eso76 said:
Well, namco hometek is a much smaller branch; they take care of cheaper productions for namco.
I believe they published kill switch, dead to rights (what about its pseudo sequel?) and that spawn game.
Titles with much lower productions values than your typical Namco of Japan game.

It's true that sony and namco were always tied, but I would have thought they would behave differently in the handhelds market, where nintendo was always the leader.
To me, this sounds bad on different levels for nintendo DS: A weaker support from namco - regardless of the reasons - and a predictably worse incarnation of one of the company's major franchises as a launch title, which is bound to be put in comparison with the PsP Ridge Racer - obviously a higher value production and a less rushed title.

Even with Nintendo being the handheld leader, I can't imagine Namco can do the type of games they want to do on the DS specs. PSP specs can support a better looking RR, AC, Tekken, SC, Klonoa etc..but I do imagine they will do something with the DS capabilities such as the touch screen for some innovative ideas.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Stylus driving sounds kinda stupid, at least to me. But I'll wait to hear how it is done before passing judgement. I just don't like the sound of the idea...but you never know. It could be the best control scheme I ever use.

jarrod

Banned
kpop100 said:
Even with Nintendo being the handheld leader, I can't imagine Namco can do the type of games they want to do on the DS specs. PSP specs can support a better looking RR, AC, Tekken, SC, Klonoa etc..but I do imagine they will do something with the DS capabilities such as the touch screen for some innovative ideas.
Well, DS would be the perfect home for tons of PS1 ports if Namco wants. Also, they managed plenty of Klonoa games on GBA (more than any other platform in fact) so DS is a step up right there.

king zell

Falch said:
Just curious: what makes you believe Monolith is developing a DS RPG?

EGM after E3.. the said that Nintendo asked Namco to develop a new Baten Kaitos for DS and that it would be nice to use the other secreen to choose cards..

ridge-racer-ds-20041006000649167-000.jpg

jarrod said:
They've mentioned how Baten Kaitos would work well on DS...

They mentioned 2 things actually. How users would like BK on the PSP and how well a card based game like BK would work on the DS because of the touch screen.

I wish IGN had mentioned whether you used your thumbs (Which I like) or whether you had to use the stylus (Don't like).

jett

D-Member
Well...that looks even worse than RR64(nevermind R4...). :p NDS could've really benefitted with some texture filtering and perspective correction. The steering wheel thingy looks neat though, it's pretty much what I imagined it to be before seeing the picture. And ravingloon, I'm sure you could even use your freaking cawk if you wanted.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I'm sorry, why do we care about RRDS when MR. DRILLER IS COMING! WOO!
*puts more money down*

jett

D-Member
Hmm...it's definitely a RR64 port. The last screenshot shows the exclusive track the game had.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
IGN:
http://ds.ign.com/articles/554/554602p1.html
"...Scheduled as a launch title for the system in the US, Ridge Racer DS, in development at Nintendo's NST studio, features a total of 20 racetracks in three different locations, including the familiar Ridge Racer cityscape, the Northwest course from Riger Racer Revolution, and a sunny desert in the Southwest...The game will utilize the lower screen for direct analog steering of the vehicles via the touch sensitive panel. The game will also feature wireless connectivity for as many as six player competitions."

It's RR64 from NST themselves. Namco please take the DS seriously.

doncale

Banned
nice.

but I'd like to see Namco finish the conversion of Rave Racer for N64 and convert that to DS. but that'll never happen. not no way.

still, bring on Ridge Racer DS.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
ravingloon said:
ridgeyoyoraceyo5.jpg

Before people start complaining how much worse it looks, here's an N64 picture.

My memory must be foobar'd cause I don't remember it looking that bad.

EDIT: Thank you Solid those look more like I remember.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
that pic doesn't show if you move your fingers in an arc (unlikely), or just left/right (likely)

Also, to make the car powerslide, you should steer, then scream 'screeeech!' (skidding sound), then your car slides :)

DarienA said:
My memory must be foobar'd cause I don't remember it looking that bad.

SolidSnake's pictures are at 320*240. The picture I posted was 640*480. So maybe it's IGN's resizing at work. Either way, even at 320*240, I don't think it looks any better than the DS version (filtering or not).

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
ravingloon said:
SolidSnake's pictures are at 320*240. The picture I posted was 640*480. So maybe it's IGN's resizing at work. Either way, even at 320*240, I don't think it looks any better than the DS version (filtering or not).

Oh if you'll note I didn't comment on whether I thought the DS version looked bad, I simply didn't think that RR64 looked as bad as those shots you posted.

Falch

king zell said:
EGM after E3.. the said that Nintendo asked Namco to develop a new Baten Kaitos for DS and that it would be nice to use the other secreen to choose cards..

Wooh, that is great news.

aoi tsuki

i don't know why everyone's getting worked up over the touchscreen control. It's likely there'll be a standard control option, as there should be for all other games.

i've played a PDA racer that used the touch screen for steering, and it actually worked pretty well. The main problem was that there was way too much travel in the control; you could turn the wheel almost 180 degrees (in an arc no less) which meant occasionally looking at where your thumb was to get it back to where you wanted. i'm sure with a little more practice and the option to tighten the wheel, it would've been great.

i'd like the option of a rear view mirror for the top screen, and the main screen at the top. Even if it was letterboxed or windowed, with some of the status display at the top with it, i think this would be a better or at least alternate use of the dual screens.

Other than that, the game looks pretty good for DS. i'm not excited that it looks like it's little more than a port, but hey, at least we're getting a solid racer at or near launch.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I have to remind that DS is not a PDA, it´s a gaming device which software its managed by videogames companies, calibrate the sensibility of the touch pannel for a better experience shouldn´t be so hard for a studio like Namc (and if sega can make that the screen reacts to your breath, I´m sure it offers a great chance of playing with the calibration).
Don't get ahead of yourself. Sega is not making the screen react to your breath by registering the pressure of your breath on the screen, they are just detecting the noise you blow into the microphone.

You probably should be able to use your thumb to steer the car, but that will of course leave the unseen smudges on the screen, and be less precise than you think it would be. At least it was in every game on the PDA that supported analog control of this kind (and I doubt there's some special magic or science to this that they couldn't work out that Namco could) What ao tsuki said above (occasionally looking at where your thumb was to get it where you wanted), is just one of the issues I've always had with this kind of control.

Also, for ravingloon - using both thumbs on the touch screen probably wouldn't work. All the screens of this kind that I've seen so far, detect only one point of input.

Brofist

My main concern with RRDS isn't even the craptastic graphics...controlling the car like that just doesn't look fun.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'd rather touch screen idea than the thought of having to control it with the control pad. And personally I don't see a reason why any company, whether the stylus is used as a means of control or not, would release a title that totally stinks control wise.

snapty00

Banned
I loved Ridge Racer 64. It's the only game in which NST did almost everything right.

Despite that, fuck the DS and its lack of texture filtering. I just cannot tolerate shit like that, anymore. That's why I couldn't play most PSX games. I'm hoping developers start making more 2D games for DS and leave the 3D games to PSP.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
RR DS looks super nasty. Doesn't even look like the PS1 games. Guess NST is focusing most of its efforts on Metroid.

eso76

"Namco Hometek announced Ridge Racer DS for the new nintendo handheld"

Don't Panic ! Don't Panic !!!

ridge-racer-ds-20041006000648667.jpg

...ok, panic.

(seriously, what's this ?? there are better looking - 3D polygonal racers available for the gba !)

Well, i rest my case.
This is BAD for the DS.
Having Namco hometek take care of such an:
a) Important franchise
b) Important title in nintendo ds lineup
was a bad idea.
Launching with THIS ridge racer is not a smart move, when PSP has Gt4 and a supposedly gorgeous looking ridge racer in its lineup. They should have completely avoided this kind of direct competition; i, for one, wasn't aware there was such a huge technical difference between the two, as long as i was seeing totally different games.
Oh well, Sony PSP is still one year away after all...

Acosta

Don't get ahead of yourself. Sega is not making the screen react to your breath by registering the pressure of your breath on the screen, they are just detecting the noise you blow into the microphone.

Taken fron Nintendo official document about the speech of Shigeru Miyamoto:

"Also, in one of the games included in the game, players can blow off the candle on the screen by actually blowing his/her breath onto the touch-panel"

I don´t say you aren´t right, the one who wrote the document could be wrong, but if I don´t see things, I trust in the official document until I check for myself

In other order of things I don´t understand why some of you want to touch the screen with hand. The stylus works very well and it´s more clean and precise, I still thinking it can work.

I don´t see RR DS so bad (but yes, horrible if you compare with RR PSP) ..., but the DS can do better than, I´m sure of it. Marconelly, given that you know your stuff, I would like to ask, is possible to add texture filtering via software?

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Hopefully, D-Pad control will remain an option. I have tried stylus racing on PDAs already, and it's a garbage control scheme to me.

screenshot_320x320_01.gif

screenshot_320x320_03.gif

Top Bottom