• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco is making you spend $5 for a new stage in Tekken 8 even if you have the season pass.

Dick move.

But then I’m more than happy with the on-disc content for Tekken 8 and the free updates.

If Namco wanna have a side hustle ripping people off with cosmetic extras then power to them, just as long as they continue to provide a solid base game each time.

Last edited:
Super click/ragebait headline.

The "season pass" is called "Playable Character Year 1 Pass" and only includes characters. There is literally nothing called "season pass". and what was offered clearly did not include any stages, outfits, avatars, etc. Just characters.

Come on, bro. Do even a minute of research before reposting twitter trash.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What's with every OP having to be not the source or anything coherent but some random twitterer's hot take already setting the tone for the "discussion"? Just post the thing. They're selling a $5 stage. It's not part of the passes. What do you guys think? I think it sucks but they never said the passes include stages. Should they anyway though? They did give stages free before. Should that mean every stage is gonna be free? Etc. etc. One can say I don't care, another can say I liked the game but it didn't feel complete until it got a stage that looks like this, and now it's to pay for, that's bs! Etc. If you follow them on their socials stick to that, don't turn GAF into a twitter RSS feed. At least add it to the title so: Deuce on X says... and I wanted you all to know what Deuce says because Deuce is all I fap to. Whatever. How do you even find them, even I have more followers and don't relink here...

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I bought it (the stage is gorgeous) but I do think it should have been free for the folks that bought the deluxe or premium edition.
Capcom charges extra for stages in SF6 though so I expect it these days I guess.

RAIDEN1

This is what gaming has come to today, bit like the Season pass in Star Wars Outlaws? Why? ......it is becoming rarer year by year in getting a complete package of a game from day one-like how the Dead Space remake reminded the gaming world...you buy what you pay for, the complete experience..

demigod

Have you been living under a rock OP? Fighting games are a ripoff.

Don't buy it. Problem solved.

We wouldn't be in such a shit situation for the fighting game genre if people were actually not paying for fucking season passes.
And its exactly why I stopped buying fighting games. They’re not $70, they are double that and just aren’t worth it. Scamco is the worse one too.

Bitstream

Fighting games and shitty DLC practices go a long way back. Street Fighter 2 was updated and re-sold every 8 months in the early 90s, and it was full price every time lol. Nearly every version of Tekken since Tekken 3 has had an updated version put out a year or two later for full price. Funny enough, the paid updates for fighting games situation has actually improved since the rise of DLC. At least now you only have to buy one version of the game and can still play online against characters you haven't purchased.

Super click/ragebait headline.

The "season pass" is called "Playable Character Year 1 Pass" and only includes characters. There is literally nothing called "season pass". and what was offered clearly did not include any stages, outfits, avatars, etc. Just characters.

Come on, bro. Do even a minute of research before reposting twitter trash.

Gamers love bitching about anything

Last edited:
I'll buy it in a few months when it's 50% off or more. lol. Harada already apologized. He wasn't the overseer on this type of nonsense he was heavy on the dev side he said. Moving forward they're gonna try and be more open so you KNOW what you're getting.

Soodanim

What's with every OP having to be not the source or anything coherent but some random twitterer's hot take already setting the tone for the "discussion"?

If you follow them on their socials stick to that, don't turn GAF into a twitter RSS feed. At least add it to the title so: Deuce on X says... and I wanted you all to know what Deuce says because Deuce is all I fap to. Whatever. How do you even find them, even I have more followers and don't relink here...
GAF pretends it's better than other social media, but you can see just how strongly people have been conditioned to buy into ragebait. Some can't wait to signal the rest of the village to grab their pitchforks and light their torches. And the sad thing is that it works more often than it should.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Now, we are paying for pixel backgrounds? Soon we will be paying to reload weapons, higher resolution packs, if you want music in the game, or maybe a latency graphics pack on an older remastered game, etc.

I used to spend thousands on gaming a year between new graphics cards as I liked the 1080ti so I got the 2080 version and then the 3090ti, games galore between PC, Nintendo, and PlayStation.

What’s crazier is I have never liked this, but what did me was buying my Jeep and then wanting a subscription for my phone to unlock it, to start it, see where it’s at, set up my charging times because it is part electric. My wife then went to trade in her car for a Mercedes or BMW this year and they want a subscription for heated seats and infotainment updates.

I’ve stopped all together between my Jeep and her car we would have spent a tad shy of 200k and they still want you paying subscriptions.

Anyway the only thing I’ve spent in two years was Eldon ring and the DLC this year. Between microtransactions and subscriptions, it has just taken any enjoyment out of the hobby.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

The amount of monetization in modern fighting games would make even Activision seem modest in comparison. Paid character costumes, paid battle passes, paid characters that make the game actually pay to win, paid stages and endless advertising collabs all in a $70 game that came out undercooked in several aspects.

This amount of senseless greed will end up killing the genre again. Publishers are exploiting the fans too hard.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
What I am reading is - we gave away too much stuff for free and created false expectations, we won't be making that mistake again, to make you happy you will have to pay for every little thing like we promised.

Kadve

For some reason this thread made me think of the infamous Horse Armor DLC for Oblivion.

Good times. Before we got numb to the idea of having to spend real money for useless stuff in games. :messenger_relieved:

Last edited:
Time for SEGA to make a fighting game comeback and take the world by storm!
Sad Dying Inside GIF

Thabass

They're not making you do anything. They're are (stupidly) selling you something to make you fear to miss out on something super insignificant. Vote with your wallet. If you want it, buy it, if not, don't. Use will power.

pepodmc_

with all the stages the base game has, and they want people to spend 5 dollars for just one new stage? XD
its great that this game doesnt has denuvo...

Last edited:
Top Bottom