• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco rocks!

Soul4ger

jarrod said:
Well, I disagree. I found K1 to be the tighter game overall, with better level/mechanic design... though K2's excellent presentation and camera work is worth mentioning. KG2 kills them both however.

Depends on what kind of game you're looking for. Klonoa is the best pure platformer in the series, by far, but, obviously, KG2 has the best puzzles. I prefer the straight-up, simple action in the PSone installment to DCT, but I can understand why you'd like that one more.

jarrod

Banned
Soul4ger said:
Depends on what kind of game you're looking for. Klonoa is the best pure platformer in the series, by far, but, obviously, KG2 has the best puzzles. I prefer the straight-up, simple action in the PSone installment to DCT, but I can understand why you'd like that one more.
I agree with that, I actually prefer the more puzzle focused GBA games... though console Klonoa is still top stuff for more straightforward platforming. I wouldn't mind seeing Klonoa make a big return on DS & PSP. :)

Soul4ger

jarrod said:
I agree with that, I actually prefer the more puzzle focused GBA games... though console Klonoa is still top stuff for more straightforward platforming. I wouldn't mind seeing Klonoa make a big return on DS & PSP. :)

I wouldn't mind a return, period. Since Klonoa Heroes, there's been no word on the series. Fear has gripped my loins.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
jarrod said:

I would much rather like to see Klonoa 3 for a console. I don't care if it's on GC, PS2 or Xbox. I loved the straightforward, atmospheric, stylish and highly playable platforming in Klonoa 2. I must've played some stages at least 15-20 times just because they're so...irresistable! I can't describe it any other way, really.

Another reason why I like Klonoa 2 so much is because you don't have to control the camera at all. It made me so happy to see a 3D platformer this gen where you only have to control the main character - when it comes to game design, it's a very reasonable approach to me. The game chose the best camera angles for you, and I can barely remember any situation where the camera was in a bad position. More games like this, please!

jarrod

Banned
Kiriku said:
I would much rather like to see Klonoa 3 for a console. I don't care if it's on GC, PS2 or Xbox.
How about multiple platforms? I'd like to see...

-Klonoa 2 DX (GC/PSP)
-Klonoa G3 (GBA)
-Klonoa 3 (GC/PS2/PSP)
-Klonoa DS (NDS)

...over the next few years. :)

jett

D-Member
Gregory said:
I certainly seem to know more than you.

Soul Calibur 2 a great sequel 4 years later? no.
TTT and Tekken 4 great sequels? no.
R.Racing Evolution, Breakdown, Street Racing Syndicate, Time Crisis 3, great games? Fuck no. And these are Namco`s highest profile games. Back on PS1 everything they released was gold.

It`s certainly obvious that many of their best developers from the PS1 days have left the company.

You forget Ace Combat 4, which kicks all kinds of ass. SC2 > SC1, btw.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
jarrod said:
How about multiple platforms? I'd like to see...

-Klonoa 2 DX (GC/PSP)
-Klonoa G3 (GBA)
-Klonoa 3 (GC/PS2/PSP)
-Klonoa DS (NDS)

...over the next few years. :)

I would prefer console releases because they're more immersive and atmospheric with an adventure-platformer kind of style, which is part of why I love the Klonoa series so much.

But of course, I would love to see new Klonoa games in any way possible. :D

Soul4ger

Kiriku said:
I would prefer console releases because they're more immersive and atmospheric with an adventure-platformer kind of style, which is part of why I love the Klonoa series so much.

But of course, I would love to see new Klonoa games in any way possible. :D

Like I said, it depends on the kinda games you're looking for. The handheld version aren't as immersive, true, it's hard to ever be as engaging on a portable machine, but it's a completely different style. You can shut off one of the portable Klonoa games at any time and pick it right back up, in the middle of a level or a puzzle, if you'd like. That's definitely not something you can do with the console games, which require time investment, obviously, but are MUCH more atmospheric and engrossing. To be honest, I think, either or, they do what they do best. That's why I love the series so much.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
klonoa on GBA is ace. i haven't picked up the sequel yet (which didn't turn up in the US, sadly), but fully plan to.

i love klonoa so much that i'm awfully tempted to track down a wonderswan version. i've heard it isn't that great, but it's klonoa, so how bad can it be?

Soul4ger

eXxy said:
i love klonoa so much that i'm awfully tempted to track down a wonderswan version. i've heard it isn't that great, but it's klonoa, so how bad can it be?

It's definitely not bad. If you enjoy the puzzle/platforming of EoD, than you'll like it a lot. Better than 95% of other portable games, that's for sure.. I recommend it.

eXxy said:

It's actually awesome, though the simple fact that it's on the Wonderswan knocks it down quite a few points. Some people insist that it's one of the best Klonoa games, which I pretty much disagree with, but it's at least very close to the GBA versions. Unfortunately I spent most of my time playing it just wishing I could see what the hell was going on. :(

Just to weigh in, I'd actually rank Klonoa 2 pretty low compared to the other games. I didn't like the side characters or enemies at all, especially compared to the ones from Klonoa 1. And the music, though very good compared to most games, just couldn't match the stuff from K1. I'd rank the games like this, from favorite to least:

Klonoa 1
Klonoa G2
Klonoa Empire of Dreams
Klonoa 2
Klonoa Beach Volley
Klonoa Moonlight Museum
Klonoa Heroes

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i've actually always liked klonoa 2 better than the original. i prefer its music and visual style, and i think the platforming is better. to be honest, i wasn't that fond of klonoa the first time i played it through...only really started to appreciate it on replay, after i'd played the sequel. klonoa 3 is overdue.

i recently bought a copy of g2, but i haven't gotten around to playing it yet. empire of dreams was pretty good, though. the more puzzley style suits it. klonoa isn't really klonoa without the voices, though. klonoa saying "huepow" is probably my single favorite sound ever.

White Man

+1 Klonoa 2. I was really pissed when the copy I rented freezed several levels in, and all the used copies were going for too much cash.

(though they've yet to make a worthy successor to the Deception series this gen)

Whatever happened to that series? Did the Tecmo team that made them get caught up making the Fatal Frame games? I've been kicking myself for missing the Deception games. The way one of my buds describes them, they'd be right up my alley.

Top Bottom